ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba in the portal

Purdy didn’t turn the ball over in high school either. Just sayin. Raiola wasn’t facing P5 defenses and their DCs. He’s going to have some serious growing pains. Somehow MN is getting 2 somewhat experienced transfer QBs.
High school for purdy was 2019

Since - 7 INT to 6 TD, 6 FumL to 4 rush TD, ZERO wins

Forget not facing the media after the Iowa pick (awful), he’s not even man enough at 23 to make his own portal announcement

He’s part of the loser culture that needs purging, unlike Haarberg

Ran out of bounds instead of getting tough yards, called his own number in crunch time instead of running the play that was called. Me me me.

Sayonara

Glad he’ll never be anywhere close to DR so some of his loser stink doesn’t rub off

No disrespect intended here; just curious because I’ve seen you take a pretty emphatic stance that Woche will never, ever see the field every time his name comes up, and usually you strike me as more of a “wait and see” kind of poster. Is Woche that bad?
He threw 8 passes in high school. He barely played at his high school and it wasn’t because he was behind a 4 star QB. He was a desperation camp arm walk on so we could practice. He’s not a D1 QB. I think Rhule is letting him stick around because he wants to coach someday.

Reactions: Frozone
He threw 8 passes in high school. He barely played at his high school and it wasn’t because he was behind a 4 star QB. He was a desperation camp arm walk on so we could practice. He’s not even a D1. I think Rhule is letting him stick around because he wants to coach someday.
Woche sat behind 4* JJ McCarthy in high school

More fabrications

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
I have no idea whether Raiola will be successful as a freshman or not, but he was going to start whether or not any of the other QBs left. You didn’t seriously think he was going to split time with Chubba Purdy, did you?
That would have depended on Raiola’s practice progress and health. Rhule said in his press conference that bringing in a one and done QB would not have been fair to Chubba and Haarberg. That sure sounds to me that there would have been some QB competition. Haarberg has zero chance of winning the job because of his inaccuracy.

That would have depended on Raiola’s practice progress and health. Rhule said in his press conference that bringing in a one and done QB would not have been fair to Chubba and Haarberg. That sure sounds to me that there would have been some QB competition. Haarberg has zero chance of winning the job because of his inaccuracy.
Riaola’s not a one-and-done QB, and there’s no way he was sitting on the bench in 2024. Certainly not behind a guy who is winless as a starter.

Look on the bright side - maybe Purdy will have decent season for some Sun Belt team and you can post a couple hundred I-told-you-so threads.

Kaelin's reaction to Raiola's arrival:

“Dylan is a really good player & I’m excited to go up there & compete with him. But at the same time, him coming doesn’t change the player that I am or change the way I attack what I do. So, I’m just keeping my head down, working hard & am ready to compete.” @Danielkaelin5 GBR!​

Riaola’s not a one-and-done QB, and there’s no way he was sitting on the bench in 2024. Certainly not behind a guy who is winless as a starter.

Look on the bright side - maybe Purdy will have decent season for some Sun Belt team and you can post a couple hundred I-told-you-so threads.
Some of my frustration is with the portal. I agree that Raiola had a good chance of being the starter game one. Damn it Purdy stick it out and you’re going to play at Nebraska. We’ve used 3 QBs virtually every year since Callahan. If we’re dropping Raiola back a lot he’s going to get hit a lot. Casey left last year because he didn’t want to compete with Sims and look what happened. 😡. Casey would have probably taken over instead of Haarberg and we’re probably digging out the sunscreen for a bowl game trip. Instead he went to a crappy team and got destroyed.

I think Rhule was talking about the Ohio St QB or another portal QB that would be 1 and done when talking about it not being fair to Purdy or Haarberg

Reactions: dinglefritz
I saw it earlier and didn’t think it was credible, but if Chubba’s Dad really is sharing it, he’s probably gone. Which leaves a hole in the QB room, yet again.
The portal isn’t closed for us either. And there will be more movement in the spring.

Reactions: HBK4life
Some of my frustration is with the portal. I agree that Raiola had a good chance of being the starter game one. Damn it Purdy stick it out and you’re going to play at Nebraska. We’ve used 3 QBs virtually every year since Callahan. If we’re dropping Raiola back a lot he’s going to get hit a lot. Casey left last year because he didn’t want to compete with Sims and look what happened. 😡. Casey would have probably taken over instead of Haarberg and we’re probably digging out the sunscreen for a bowl game trip. Instead he went to a crappy team and got destroyed.
There is a fine line between wanting to compete for a job, and sticking around to be a backup guaranteed for the rest of your career. In Thompson's case, Rhule went out an brought in a QB that was supposedly handpicked. No one is going to bet their final year of football on the odds of a player getting injured. I don't care if it has happened every year since Jesus walked the earth. No competitor says, I'm going to go there and maybe get some time in garbage time and maybe if the QB1 gets hurt I will play a game or two.

I don't blame Purdy for leaving
I didn't blame Gebbia and I didn't blame Thompson.

Ran out of bounds instead of getting tough yards, called his own number in crunch time instead of running the play that was called.
Care to elaborate? Referring to Iowa game? Purdy freelance and change play called at end or something?

Care to elaborate? Referring to Iowa game? Purdy freelance and change play called at end or something?
Wisconsin game

4th quarter he ran OB short of the sticks

We punted, they scored, we lost

Maryland game 1st and goal I believe Rhule said in the postgame Chubba flat out didn’t run the play that was called when he pulled it, tried to play hero & threw the ball away

2 plays later INT, we lost

Iowa game he just shat down his leg then bawled about it and we haven’t heard from him since

Not a leader, not a winner, won’t be missed

There is a fine line between wanting to compete for a job, and sticking around to be a backup guaranteed for the rest of your career. In Thompson's case, Rhule went out an brought in a QB that was supposedly handpicked. No one is going to bet their final year of football on the odds of a player getting injured. I don't care if it has happened every year since Jesus walked the earth. No competitor says, I'm going to go there and maybe get some time in garbage time and maybe if the QB1 gets hurt I will play a game or two.

I don't blame Purdy for leaving
I didn't blame Gebbia and I didn't blame Thompson.
Yeah I don’t blame them but Damn it Casey leaving hurt us. I hope Purdy leaving isn’t as detrimental to a winning season next fall. Gotta have 3 guys ready to go.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
that's too bad, I think cubba was right on the edge of putting it all together...but I guess the 2 new guys don't leave us hanging..I'd like them to spend time with hh and his passing game just incase..
I've seen every qb injured since..seems like forever..

that a good trivia question, when's that last NU qb not to miss playing time during a season because of injury?

2 days ago Purdy posted a “thankful” image on his IG
Luke Lindenmeyer responded with QB1❤️
He enters the portal and we hear it from his dad Shawn?
He was well liked in the locker room
If he is legit leaving, he is quitting on his brothers and he will regret that eventually.
Rhule laid out a clear path for playing time and competition. Hate to see him go but I want the lions running my team’s offense.
True QB1’s have intangibles. Quitting and having your dad announce it is a BAD look and you don’t truly grow from this.
I wish him well but think it’s a mistake and not in his best interest IMO
I could see at the end of spring ball or even part of the way through spring ball this transpiring but not now. Now it’s quitting time if he follows through with this

Last edited:
  • Haha
2 days ago Purdy posted a “thankful” image on his IG
Luke Lindenmeyer responded with QB1❤️
He enters the portal and we hear it from his dad Shawn?
He was well liked in the locker room
If he is legit leaving, he is quitting on his brothers and he will regret that he eventually.
Rhule laid out a clear path for playing time and competition. Hate to see him go but I want the lions running my team’s offense
True QB1’s have intangibles. Quitting and having your dad announce it is a BAD look and you don’t truly grow from this.
I wish him well but think it’s a mistake and not in his best interest IMO
I could see at the end of spring ball or even part of the way through spring ball this transpiring but not now. Now it’s quitting time if he follows through with this
Rhule gave every indication that there was going to be a QB competition and that nobody had been promised anything. I think he at least had some chance of being the starter at some point. This is not good for our QB depth. There’s no way to spin that. Our room is woefully short of experience.

Rhule gave every indication that there was going to be a QB competition and that nobody had been promised anything. I think he at least had some chance of being the starter at some point. This is not good for our QB depth. There’s no way to spin that. Our room is woefully short of experience.
No doubt. Regardless of him staying or whatever, the QB room has been upgraded.

I think Rhule was talking about the Ohio St QB or another portal QB that would be 1 and done when talking about it not being fair to Purdy or Haarberg
Yes I get that, so I don’t know why it would apply to this situation. Raiola’s going to play in 2024 whether he’s good, bad, or in between, because of his upside potential. Rhule isn’t going to come right out and say that, but he doesn’t have to.

Nearly everyone in the world knows Purdy was the best option at QB last season, including the coaches when looking at ALL context, eye test, etc. Everyone but you. He’ll have options in the portal, possibly a P5 starter.
Smothers 2.0

Hell be hawking hot tubs in 18 months

No doubt. Regardless of him staying or whatever, the QB room has been upgraded.
Long term no doubt. For next fall game one? That’s to be seen. I hate starting a true freshman. I believe Tom used to say that a freshman QB will cost you several games that you should have won. Kinda sounds like this past year though so there is that.

Long term no doubt. For next fall game one? That’s to be seen. I hate starting a true freshman. I believe Tom used to say that a freshman QB will cost you several games that you should have won. Kinda sounds like this past year though so there is that.
A decent QB coach will do wonders. We were doomed last year without that. All QBs sucked, only one really looked coachable, but he wasn’t getting that.

Yes I get that, so I don’t know why it would apply to this situation. Raiola’s going to play in 2024 whether he’s good, bad, or in between, because of his upside potential. Rhule isn’t going to come right out and say that, but he doesn’t have to.
I just think there is a gap in y'alls conversation.

Regardless if Raiola was brought in here as the probable QB1 on day 1, there can be the perception that there will be a competition for the job. Even if Rhule sort of had his mind made up, he can still be genuine in saying that the competition will be open. The same cannot be said if he had taken Ward, Howard, or McCord. Those guys are one and dones and the perception of a open competition would be severely minimized. One and done guys aren't coming to sit behind anyone. No group of QBs on a team are going to think that the school isn't going to continue to recruit high school guys year after year. But if I am one of 3 QBs to start a game and 1 of the others has transferred already, I have to believe that I have a shot at the job. Unless of course the coach brings in a guy that only has one year of eligibility left, then I no longer believe I have a shot at the job.

A QB coach will do wonders. We were doomed last year without that. All QBs sucked, only one really looked coachable, but he wasn’t getting that.
Well I’m not all that sold on a QB coach making a big difference. You can drill and study things all you want but the best teacher is still game experience. Practice reps are fine but you can’t replicate 3rd and goal from the 8 with time running down and a 4 pt deficit. You practice those situations but you’re not on tv with 90000 in the stands when you do.

Jon Lovitz Smiling GIF

I just think there is a gap in y'alls conversation.

Regardless if Raiola was brought in here as the probable QB1 on day 1, there can be the perception that there will be a competition for the job. Even if Rhule sort of had his mind made up, he can still be genuine in saying that the competition will be open. The same cannot be said if he had taken Ward, Howard, or McCord. Those guys are one and dones and the perception of a open competition would be severely minimized. One and done guys aren't coming to sit behind anyone. No group of QBs on a team are going to think that the school isn't going to continue to recruit high school guys year after year. But if I am one of 3 QBs to start a game and 1 of the others has transferred already, I have to believe that I have a shot at the job. Unless of course the coach brings in a guy that only has one year of eligibility left, then I no longer believe I have a shot at the job.
It seems pretty clear that Purdy is looking for an easier path to a starting job. Not sure he’s going to find one.

• Haha
It seems pretty clear that Purdy is looking for an easier path to a starting job. Not sure he’s going to find one.
Obviously. Again if you are considering yourself to be a backup in your current situation, you are looking to improve that situation. He sure as hell isn't going to go to Texas and back up Ewers and Manning.

If I was advising Chubba I would tell him to go to a good FCS like Montana. Less pressure on him, he will still get exposure and if he does well the NFL will look at him. Go have fun. Playing games is fun. All the other stuff is hard work. He has is degree so is really a free agent. I would put having fun and playing over going to another P5 school and sitting on the bench

Reactions: HUSKERBILL
If I was advising Chubba I would tell him to go to a good FCS like Montana. Less pressure on him, he will still get exposure and if he does well the NFL will look at him. Go have fun. Playing games is fun. All the other stuff is hard work. He has is degree so is really a free agent. I would put having fun and playing over going to another P5 school and sitting on the bench
Sounds like it’s Boise.

Wisconsin game

4th quarter he ran OB short of the sticks

We punted, they scored, we lost

Maryland game 1st and goal I believe Rhule said in the postgame Chubba flat out didn’t run the play that was called when he pulled it, tried to play hero & threw the ball away

2 plays later INT, we lost

Iowa game he just shat down his leg then bawled about it and we haven’t heard from him since

Not a leader, not a winner, won’t be missed
Purdy led a nice drive from our 3 yd line all the way to the Maryland 5. On first down it was supposed to be a handoff, I think to Grant, but Purdy pulled it and ran to the right for some unknown reason. Seeing he was going to be tackled for a loss, he threw it out of bounds in the direction of Fidone. Wasted play, not what the coaches wanted, and it stopped the clock with around 3:37 left. On second down from the 5 Johnson ran between the tackles and was stoned for a 2 yard loss. Third down was a true run pass option, I doubt the run would have scored, neither did Purdy, so he pulled it and threw it to a spot the receiver should have been in, but wasn't and the ball was picked. A better QB may have understood no receiver was there and threw it out of the endzone. Or a more experienced guy may have hit another receiver I thought was open back in the corner, like I think Coleman. I place that mess on the receiver running the wrong route and Satterfield calling it in the first place, not so much on Chubba.

So yeah, he ran the wrong play on 1st down and a pick on 3rd down, but I blame the coaches for calling a RPO. We had at least one time out left there. After the big run to set us up at the 5 Rhule should have called the TO, calmed them down, and told them they were going to take the play clock down to almost zero three times, run three times (and don't dare get cute), and kick the FG if we couldn't make 5 yards leaving MD with less than 2 minutes to score.

When we got to the 5 I was wishing they would have just run 3 QB sneaks.

He wouldn’t start at Montana

Purdy led a nice drive from our 3 yd line all the way to the Maryland 5. On first down it was supposed to be a handoff, I think to Grant, but Purdy pulled it and ran to the right for some unknown reason. Seeing he was going to be tackled for a loss, he threw it out of bounds in the direction of Fidone. Wasted play, not what the coaches wanted, and it stopped the clock with around 3:37 left. On second down from the 5 Johnson ran between the tackles and was stoned for a 2 yard loss. Third down was a true run pass option, I doubt the run would have scored, neither did Purdy, so he pulled it and threw it to a spot the receiver should have been in, but wasn't and the ball was picked. A better QB may have understood no receiver was there and threw it out of the endzone. Or a more experienced guy may have hit another receiver I thought was open back in the corner, like I think Coleman. I place that mess on the receiver running the wrong route and Satterfield calling it in the first place, not so much on Chubba.

So yeah, he ran the wrong play on 1st down and a pick on 3rd down, but I blame the coaches for calling a RPO. We had at least one time out left there. After the big run to set us up at the 5 Rhule should have called the TO, calmed them down, and told them they were going to take the play clock down to almost zero three times, run three times (and don't dare get cute), and kick the FG if we couldn't make 5 yards leaving MD with less than 2 minutes to score.

When we got to the 5 I was wishing they would have just run 3 QB sneaks.
3 handoffs

Purdy would’ve f’d up the sneaks like he did literally every game he ever played here

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
Purdy had a real chance to start the season opener. Not sure he would have stayed QB1 all season, that would have depended on results.

Long term, may be best for Huskers to get started on the future. DR starting day one will probably influence next year’s recruiting class in a positive way. I vote for getting started on the offense of the future

He’s never had much of a chance. The guy had the best QB skills of anybody we had. He had some of the best drives of the season those last 2 games. Yeah he screwed up a couple of times but I guarantee you do will Raiola. He’s going to get educated quickly by B1G defenses and their DCs. People thinking Dylan is going to light the world on fire as a true freshman are in for a reality check.
I think you are also forgetting Chubba's poor play and turnovers in the prior season. He played in 5 games in 2022. During that season Chubba threw for less than 50%, did not throw a TD pass and had one interception in 3 different games. He also fumbled the ball in the Husker endzone in the Indiana game giving the Hoosiers a TD. Chubba may have more talent than Sims and HH, but he has not shown the ability to lead a team to a victory or avoid making a catastrophic turnover that ends the Husker's chances of winning a game. I think a break will benefit both the Huskers and Chubba.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT