ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba in the portal

He digs his heels in to feel smarter than everyone. I also think we nebraska fans just have no idea what good, or even average, qb play looks like. I keep hearing about all this arm talent purdy has and for fbs qbs its average. Certainly talented but 90% of fbs qbs have the same.Purdy was a disaster here. Good luck to him, I wish him well, and hope a new place works out for him.

The two best things rhule has done in his time here:
1. Land Raiola
2. Process Purdy.

Our QB room is better with each of these moves, and we are playing Big Boy football now!
We’re now relying on Haarberg as our backup and we’re moving to even more pro style passing game offense. Kaelin won’t be anywhere near ready. Good f’n luck with that. I guarantee you Rhule would like Purdy to stay.

Reactions: WHCSC
Maybe we aren't done yet? A portal guy or a late signee?

Not to bent out of shape by this news. Expected it given where college football is today. Good luck to him and everyone else that hits the portal.

Reactions: BleedRed78 and c3o
Can we find a guy that fumbles untouched while running? That throws directly to a linebacker standing right in the middle of the field? He made a lot of terrible plays. Yes, Chubba was tantalizing with some of his skills, but he's just not a winning player to this point. If he stayed? Fine. Leaving? Fine. We just signed two elite guys and we can get depth if we need it. I'm not going to lose sleep over a backup QB who played on some of our worst teams ever. Moving on.
I just watched Trevor Lawrence do the same thing.

This.

I am so sick of the athlete playing QB I could puke. That's all we've known for the most part at Nebraska.
As much as I loved watching T-Mart, the next play youd want him pulled.
Like 1414 said, I don't think we know true arm talent here. I think/hope we are going to witness it with Raiola.
How about we have a QB playing QB who also is a great athlete. Go down the list right now of guys in the NFL from Tua, Mahommes, Allen, Hurts etc. Hell even Rodgers was very mobile. You just handicap yourself if your QB can’t pose at least a little run threat. In Raiola’s case he’s going to be a load to bring down at least.

That post doesn't help your case. You're comparing Chubba to Trevor Lawrence now? LOL you just jumped straight to delusional.
No. Just pointing out that even NFL QBs do it. We need an experienced backup and I’m sorry but HH doesn’t cut it.

This isn't complicated people. Purdy was never staying. HH will move into a Taysum Hill role. I'm sure they would love to add a veteran pocket passer but it's going to be tough. Most qbs want to play. Tough to convince someone they are going to play over DR. DK is no slouch either. And they are both here in January.

Mistake prone QBs make mistakes. It is just what they do. The best predictor of the future production is past production. I like Chubba and I like his talent but mistake prone QBs make mistakes. The car insurance industry knows this - those who have accidents tend to have more accidents....
Joe Montana threw 25 TD passes at ND….and 25 INTs. Guess he learned to get over his mistakes.

This isn't complicated people. Purdy was never staying. HH will move into a Taysum Hill role. I'm sure they would love to add a veteran pocket passer but it's going to be tough. Most qbs want to play. Tough to convince someone they are going to play over DR. DK is no slouch either. And they are both here in January.
Is there anything to the Casey Thompson talk on here? Anything??

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
We’re now relying on Haarberg as our backup and we’re moving to even more pro style passing game offense. Kaelin won’t be anywhere near ready. Good f’n luck with that. I guarantee you Rhule would like Purdy to stay.
Purdy was never staying. Ever. He hasn't won a starting job at 2 schools and 4 different head coaches. 0% chance he was beating DR. DR will basically pass him in game experience by the 5th game he starts.

We are fine. 90% of the teams in America would love to have our problem of having the #1 qb in the class flip from Georgia and scare off other qbs.

Hypo.....thetically, if the 2 QB's being discussed the most in this thread both entered the portal, 1 wood have waaaaay better landing spots to choose from than the other. But I hope both stay.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC
I’ll believe we can get a portal QB with his wheels and arm to replace him when I see it. Why would somebody with no connection to NU come in to back up a true freshman?
That true freshman was always gonna start. Chubba sees the writing on the wall.

Would you have rather not landed Raoila in order for him to stay?

Reactions: BleedRed78
That true freshman was always gonna start. Chubba sees the writing on the wall.

Would you have rather not landed Raoila in order for him to stay?
No. But man the idea of having to run out Haarberg or Kaelin in the advent of an injury sure looks like another 5 win season to me.

High 4* guy who passed for over 2000 and ran for over a thousand both his junior and senior year of high school. I’ve seen enough of him to think IF given starter reps he could be a very good QB for somebody. He’s made a couple of bad mistakes but he’s hardly played. Might as well right off Raiola today if we’re going to crucify young QBs for screwing up a couple of times per game.
Wow, u serious

ok Kong. Compare the opponents.

alone-lonely.gif

You're either drunk or trolling. Which is it?
Neither. Not looking forward to watching Haarberg throw behind and over our receivers next fall after Raiola gets hurt in fall camp. We have to find a portal QB with some experience who can complete a pass. ☹️

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Can we find a guy that fumbles untouched while running? That throws directly to a linebacker standing right in the middle of the field? He made a lot of terrible plays. Yes, Chubba was tantalizing with some of his skills, but he's just not a winning player to this point. If he stayed? Fine. Leaving? Fine. We just signed two elite guys and we can get depth if we need it. I'm not going to lose sleep over a backup QB who played on some of our worst teams ever. Moving on.
Make no mistake, chubba can easily be replaced.

I really hope we don’t replace him.

Nebraska football needs to move beyond players like chubba, unless he’s a walk on.

He also wouldn’t have been turnover-prone if he didn’t turn the ball over.

Don’t see keen insights like this every day..
Yeah I’m just not looking forward to watching Haarberg play QB when it happens next fall. You know it will. We’ve played 3 QBs every year for forever it seems☹️

Hopefully Rhule picks up a portal guy. 3 scholarship QBs isn’t enough especially with the lack of experience in that room.

Rhule says it is an open competition. If Purdy is better (doubtful), he probably starts. If he isn't better, he probably still plays quite a bit. Instead, he quit. This isn't Rhule's fault or anyone else's. This is all on Purdy. We can find someone else who can't win games.
I am confident rhule did the right thing and purdy was one of the players he told would never play.

I dont think purdy is a quitter. I think he is honest about his performance and capabilities.

The O-Line didn’t help any of the QBs and they sure as hell aren’t going to make Raiola look better. Purdy hanging around to compete would have been nice for the QB room because he could have been the buffer until Raiola was ready to roll on. And as others have said, injuries will happen and you need depth. Otherwise, I don’t blame Purdy.

Neither. Not looking forward to watching Haarberg throw behind and over our receivers next fall after Raiola gets hurt in fall camp. We have to find a portal QB with some experience who can complete a pass. ☹️
I was just poking fun at "He wouldn't have been a quitter if he had stayed." That's a "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" statement if I've ever heard one. I'm gonna stop arguing with you about Chubba. He's gone. Rhule just signed two Elite 11 guys including the top QB in the class. Let's take a breath and not assume we won't have a serviceable backup next season.

I am confident rhule did the right thing and purdy was one of the players he told would never play.

I dont think purdy is a quitter. I think he is honest about his performance and capabilities.
There’s no way Rhule told him he wouldn’t play privately. If he did then he was lying in his signing day press conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT