ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Feldman reports NU Head Coaching targets

You don’t know what you are talking about regarding the impact of the 2012 sanctions against Penn State. 15 players transferred out when the sanctions were announced, including 2011 leading rusher Silas Redd.
BOB inherited a mess and did a darn good job the two years he was there.
This. You beat me to the response. I live in PA. And people on here need to understand what a COMPLETE shit show PSU was after the Sandusky affair hit the fan. Bill O'Brien is not my top choice because his stint at PSU was so short and the situation so different from ours. I have no idea if he would be a good choice for us or not. Still... the dude worked a small miracle at PSU holding that team together and at least fielding a team that was competitive. He damn near beat Nebraska with a depleted squad and we had to fight like hell to beat them.

Fickle would be a mistake. Look at how he did at OSU, NU's only victory over OSU was with fickle. AAC coaches don't do well outside the aac. Frost, Herman, Taggert, Norvell etc haven't done well outside of the aac.

Matt Rhule did pretty well outside the AAC, and Josh Heupel seems to be doing pretty well at Tennessee so far. Lincoln Riley was an AAC assistant when OU hired him.

Its not the same, a bona fide NFL coach to some degree will have top high school recruits fawning over them in a way that an NFL free agent never will. I don't believe Bill Callahan is a particularly spectacular person from a recruiting standpoint, but he was super organized, had NFL bona fides, and basically went around the country looking for recruits who fit the generic NFL 'chart' for desirable draft characteristics. He didn't have to think much when he was using the metrics every other major coach on earth was using.

That made him closer to a computer than a good ole boy who could find a five tool player in some backwater and lure him in with his charm.
And the "computer" had to build a relationship and convince them to come to Lincoln.

I don't know why but my gut is telling me it is going to be Leipold. Nebraska ties, successful head coach wherever he has been, and knows the demographics of the region well. It won't be an exciting or "splash" hire if he is the choice, but it would be a solid hire.
I, for the most part, have stayed neutral on all this coach hiring speculation. I don't put any stock in what anyone who supposedly is in the know, has to say.

There is one person who knows about any conversations, Trev. That is it. No one is going to influence him with all of the opinions but I guess it makes people feel better about things if their pick is even mentioned.

What and who would be a splash hire? By my definition that would be about 5 people who we aren't going to get anyway, despite some thinking this is one of the best jobs in college football.

I have watched Liepold for years and living in Kansas, have listened to him and followed some games. I loved what he did at Buffalo. If it is him, great, that is Trevs call, but he isn't the splash hire of those 5 guys whoever they are.

Hire a good teacher, solid person who has a proven track record of winning the right way. Whoever that is, I will take them and be happy.

I don't know why but my gut is telling me it is going to be Leipold. Nebraska ties, successful head coach wherever he has been, and knows the demographics of the region well. It won't be an exciting or "splash" hire if he is the choice, but it would be a solid hire.
I agree with your gut.

Trev probably knows that hiring lance, means that NU will be "stable" for 10 years...that is 10 years that Trev gets to stay on as AD and more than likely gets to hire another FB coach as the last thing he does before stepping down.

Husker fans are so hurt right now that Lance could go 3-9 next year with some close games and maybe a big upset...and we will be happy...year two a lame bowl game and year 3 in contention to win whatever mess of a division they are in at that time...

Any good coach would bring a winning culture. It’s not exclusive to Lance. We don’t need a rebuild, we have the players. They just need better coaching, structure, and discipline.
You don’t have the players. Nowhere close. There are a few but not nearly enough. You don’t lose to Georgia Southern or the last couple years version of NW if you have players Rebuilding job. Too much damage done by the last two staffs. Way to many recruits left or didn’t pan out.

Last edited:
Top 3
Bill O'Brien Bama OC
Matt Campbell ISU HC
Lance Leipold KU HC

Other candidates
Chris Klieman KSU HC
Jake Dickert Wazzu HC
Jamey Chadwell CCU HC
Bronco Mendenhall former UVA HC
Matt Rhule Panthers HC
Gary Patterson UT special assistant
Jim Leonhard Wisconsin DC
Mickey Joseph NU interim HC

Personally, I'm hoping for Leipold. I think he's the guy. Would be good with Rhule or Patterson. I could stomach O'Brien. Would be disappointed by any of the others. Noticed Urb wasn't on the list.
Hopefully this isn't the full list. If this is really the full list I'd just as soon give Mickey 2 years and see what happens.

Right...if you believe then coaches say it...then you also believe that no coach has ever taken a new job.
I believe it when LL says it - just the kind of guy he is. He met with a bmd in the past 72 hours - he's going to get paid, his staff is going to get paid. He isn't going anywhere right now, much less .... Nebraska so quickly. Again, this isn't 1995. That job has been a coach killer for 20 years now, same as KU. He's been with the players here for only 14 months. He isn't running so fast when he was right thinking he could win at KU. I could see Fickell possibly making that move, unless he thinks Freeman is on the fast track out at ND. Campbell may want new scenery. I think Freeze is someone who should be talked about and would kill it there. Urban will have better options in the next two coaching cycles. Hermann is sitting there for the grab. O'brien is there, but a mistake imo. Aranda I don't think would leave Baylor for Nebraska, maybe for something bigger, but not there. Stoops isn't leaving his soft cushion in the SEC for the Nebraska job.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
This is a total rebuild. Need a hard-nosed, no-nonsense guy. That guy is Jeff Monken — HC Army. He will hire his brother Jeff Monken who is the OC at Georgia. They will get Nebraska back to basics and in Big Ten contention in 1 year.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is a total rebuild. Need a hard-nosed, no-nonsense guy. That guy is Jeff Monken — HC Army. He will hire his brother Jeff Monken who is the OC at Georgia. They will get Nebraska back to basics and in Big Ten contention in 1 year.
Brother is Todd Monken OC Georgia

I think one of the main reasons it will be him is that he probably actually wants to be here. That’s an underrated component. Is a coach going to come for just a huge pay raise and be successful?

I agree that it's likely going to be Leopold and I think it should be. Perfect culture fit. Likely really wants to be here (and finish his career here if the results are there.) Features a style of offense that both will appease the fan base but will also mitigate recruiting footprint disadvantages. I still think if Urban is even a slight possibility you exhaust that option first but short of that I think I strongly prefer Leopold to other "low hanging fruit."

I think one of the main reasons it will be him is that he probably actually wants to be here. That’s an underrated component. Is a coach going to come for just a huge pay raise and be successful?
This. He also has a great pedigree. He won 6 D3 national titles. There are 250 D3 football programs. Now most guys that started for their high school team could play at the D3 level but still impressive to win 6 titles. He won 10 games in a season at Buffalo. He also went 6-1 during 2020 and was ranked 25th in the country. Without a spring ball he took over KU and they get their first power 5 win in years at UT. He now has them 3-0 and humming in year 2. Mike Riley definitely did a number on this place but there is no way KU was in better shape when Leipold got there than when Scott got here. I'm not saying he will take us to championships but at this point in time we need to focus on winning some games. This is a total rebuild and Leipold is up to the task imo.

I believe it when LL says it - just the kind of guy he is. He met with a bmd in the past 72 hours - he's going to get paid, his staff is going to get paid. He isn't going anywhere right now, much less .... Nebraska so quickly. Again, this isn't 1995. That job has been a coach killer for 20 years now, same as KU. He's been with the players here for only 14 months. He isn't running so fast when he was right thinking he could win at KU. I could see Fickell possibly making that move, unless he thinks Freeman is on the fast track out at ND. Campbell may want new scenery. I think Freeze is someone who should be talked about and would kill it there. Urban will have better options in the next two coaching cycles. Hermann is sitting there for the grab. O'brien is there, but a mistake imo. Aranda I don't think would leave Baylor for Nebraska, maybe for something bigger, but not there. Stoops isn't leaving his soft cushion in the SEC for the Nebraska job.
He can only answer one way right now, you would agree with that, right?

Your beloved Coach Self was never leaving Illinois...then guess what, he almost went to Arkansas but came back...then he was never leaving...but guess what...he left for KU

Basically every coach in America, with the exception of a handful in CFB and probably all NFL head coaches...are in play. That is just how it works when one place can offer more of pretty much everything.

We like to pretend that once you are making 5 million...that money doesn't matter...well it does, it always matters. So does chance. KU will probably bee 4-0 next week and still might not be ranked (which is crazy to think) but Lance at NU...with NU being 4-0...and NU is ranked in the top 15.

This. You beat me to the response. I live in PA. And people on here need to understand what a COMPLETE shit show PSU was after the Sandusky affair hit the fan. Bill O'Brien is not my top choice because his stint at PSU was so short and the situation so different from ours. I have no idea if he would be a good choice for us or not. Still... the dude worked a small miracle at PSU holding that team together and at least fielding a team that was competitive. He damn near beat Nebraska with a depleted squad and we had to fight like hell to beat them.
No offense brother, but I've read others from PA who say the exact opposite of you. Then I read about folks in Houston who agree from their respective pov.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Top 3
Bill O'Brien Bama OC
Matt Campbell ISU HC
Lance Leipold KU HC

Other candidates
Chris Klieman KSU HC
Jake Dickert Wazzu HC
Jamey Chadwell CCU HC
Bronco Mendenhall former UVA HC
Matt Rhule Panthers HC
Gary Patterson UT special assistant
Jim Leonhard Wisconsin DC
Mickey Joseph NU interim HC

Personally, I'm hoping for Leipold. I think he's the guy. Would be good with Rhule or Patterson. I could stomach O'Brien. Would be disappointed by any of the others. Noticed Urb wasn't on the list.
Underwhelming

Why isn’t Gundy in the discussion for next HC?

Everybody forgets that Mike Gundy does better every year than Campbell.

I get it, Campbell is doing what is considered great at Cockeyes State, but Gundy has good teams each year. His DC was snatched by Ohio State. They are playing much better defense.

He wanted the job when Riley was hired and would have done better than Riley and the HCs before him.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Why isn’t Gundy in the discussion for next HC?

Everybody forgets that Mike Gundy does better every year than Campbell.

I get it, Campbell is doing what is considered great at Cockeyes State, but Gundy has good teams each year. His DC was snatched by Ohio State. They are playing much better defense.

He wanted the job when Riley was hired and would have done better than Riley and the HCs before him.
He would be a good choice, but we don't really believe him. He uses openings as a negotiation strategy to get himself more money. I don't think he's unhappy at Oklahoma State or in any danger of losing his job, so not sure he wants to take on the monumental task of rebuilding our program and possibly failing in the process.

Hermann is a joke lol

Well, he's already shot it down, so ...
Said he's flattered, but no.
That's what they always say. I know it feels "safe" to put your head up your butt and ignore reality, but coaches ALWAYS deny they're interested in open jobs. Especially when they're 3 games into their season. It has no bearing on whether he takes the job. "Shot it down" LOL.

He would be a good choice, but we don't really believe him. He uses openings as a negotiation strategy to get himself more money. I don't think he's unhappy at Oklahoma State or in any danger of losing his job, so not sure he wants to take on the monumental task of rebuilding our program and possibly failing in the process.
Unfortunately this is the reality of that situation. I'd love Gundy personally, but just don't see him leaving what he's literally built himself at OK St. He'll likely retire there. Would love to have him though. He might already be at his ceiling there though, so there is that too.

Reactions: Wasker77
He’s too easy. Makes too much sense……until KU gets boat raced by Duke Saturday

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I don't think it's BoB's fault necessarily. Alabama doesn't have the horses at WR this year that they've had in years past, which quickly makes an unstoppable offense rather average even with a returning Heisman at QB.
Sark and Lane were much better OCs than Bill. Go back and watch "Hard Knocks". Comes across as a bonehead, knucklehead who uses the F Bomb every other word

People saying Urban Meyer aren't being serious.
What do you mean? Urban is THE available coach and THE definition of a grinder. He gets THE results. Former natty coach at Ohio State.

Pay THE man 15 million a year and he'd come. I don't think there is another available coach with even half his pedigree. Because of his disaster at Jax I think the timing would be perfect.

We both need a redemption arc.

I agree with your gut.

Trev probably knows that hiring lance, means that NU will be "stable" for 10 years...that is 10 years that Trev gets to stay on as AD and more than likely gets to hire another FB coach as the last thing he does before stepping down.

Husker fans are so hurt right now that Lance could go 3-9 next year with some close games and maybe a big upset...and we will be happy...year two a lame bowl game and year 3 in contention to win whatever mess of a division they are in at that time...
I can't think of anything more stressful for an AD than hiring a HC at a place like Neraska. The last thing he wants is to go through this again anytime. He likely will have to do it in men's BB and possibly VB.

Have you been reading this board? This fan base won't be happy with anything less than winning division titles regularly. Heck, right now the coached are question on everything, the third string QB should be starting. I find it amazing that so many gave Frost this long, i can't see this kind of patience in the future but I could be wrong.

I can't think of anything more stressful for an AD than hiring a HC at a place like Neraska. The last thing he wants is to go through this again anytime. He likely will have to do it in men's BB and possibly VB.

Have you been reading this board? This fan base won't be happy with anything less than winning division titles regularly. Heck, right now the coached are question on everything, the third string QB should be starting. I find it amazing that so many gave Frost this long, i can't see this kind of patience in the future but I could be wrong.
Winning the West is easy,

The issue is, there won't be a "west" anymore, so who knows what it will look like.

Reactions: dinglefritz

The volleyball hire won’t be stressful, when Cook decides to retire the next coach will be Dani Busboom-Kelly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT