ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O'Brien to be next Boston College head coach?

I didn't hate the idea as much as some did....but I'm thankful we got who we did...but WTF is BOB thinking with Boston College? The fact he'd take that job tells me his judgement sucks.
He’s already made a lot of money and Boston I’ve read is close to family. I don’t think he’s worried about career advancement. He can roll in to Boston and probably make a million or more per year while running his own show. Win there and 2 years from now when the Pats open up he can take that job.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
He’s already made a lot of money and Boston I’ve read is close to family. I don’t think he’s worried about career advancement. He can roll in to Boston and probably make a million or more per year while running his own show. Win there and 2 years from now when the Pats open up he can take that job.
Bottom Line: Being a head coach at BC is better for him than being an OC at OSU. If he has success at BC somebody will want him IF he still wants a better job. OR he can stay in Boston until retirement if he's happy there.

Close to where he has lived, chance to be a HC, harder to win, but less pressure. Seems like a no brainer. Ohio State, he loses one game next year, the pitchforks will be out

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Awesome hire for BC.

I guess he never signed with OSU? I thought that was a done deal like a month ago? I’m guessing he never officially signed with OSU or BC would have to pay his entire buyout. But for a school like BC this is a home run hire, on paper. I bet he does well there, not playoff good IMO, but good enough to either retire there or get hired away by a bigger program.

Reactions: Huskers123456
Dude can be at BC, win 6-7 games a year and stay as long as he wants...

Or leave back to the NFL.

Either way, he will be cashing checks for about what, 250,000K a month this upcoming season.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
A lot less pressure at BC
Ultimately, knowing that the national championship is nothing but a pipe dream at 95% of the schools out there, I would think that BC is a great job for coaches with family ties in the New England area. Historically, a guy like O'Brien could stay there for 10 years maybe longer. Make his $1 million a year. He'll just need to find a way to avoid a few losing seasons in a row and he should stay employed.

Ultimately, knowing that the national championship is nothing but a pipe dream at 95% of the schools out there, I would think that BC is a great job for coaches with family ties in the New England area. Historically, a guy like O'Brien could stay there for 10 years maybe longer. Make his $1 million a year. He'll just need to find a way to avoid a few losing seasons in a row and he should stay employed.
That low? I mean, it is a P5 job...I can't imagine he will only be at like a million a year.

An Irishman in Boston?

Does this mean it’s the second coming of the O’Brien dynasty for the Irish?

That low? I mean, it is a P5 job...I can't imagine he will only be at like a million a year.
Yeah I would think his salary would be closer to $4 mil per year. BC isn't an elite job, but it's not the MAC or Sun Belt.

Reactions: BTF69
I was just guessing. Maybe it would be quite a bit more than that, but then the ACC doesn't have a money faucet like the Big 10 and SEC.

I was just guessing. Maybe it would be quite a bit more than that, but then the ACC doesn't have a money faucet like the Big 10 and SEC.
Yeah, that is true.

I guess on the LOW end I would see it at 2 million a year...Who knows...

I loved him at PSU...dude did not care at all, he knew he was leaving so he just went for it on 4th down like all game long! It was like a video game for him.

Reactions: Dean Pope
It is pretty difficult to live comfortably on a million dollars in Boston.

My son went to Boston College and it is an unbelievable school with a beautiful campus. They don’t support football near to the degree as Nebraska but it is a fantastic school.
Yes it is, it is a really good school.

I didn't hate the idea as much as some did....but I'm thankful we got who we did...but WTF is BOB thinking with Boston College? The fact he'd take that job tells me his judgement sucks.
He took the Penn State job after the Sandusky scandal. He can't have good judgment if he was willing to walk into that s#!% show.

Last edited:
I could understand Chip Kelly going to the NFL as an OC, but an OC in college makes no sense for him... probably just tOSU pipe dream.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It is pretty difficult to live comfortably on a million dollars in Boston.
If you aren’t worried about salting more away in your retirement fund you can do just fine on a million. That said, you missed my post where I wrote that the deal is 3-4 million/year. He made a ton of money in Texas and they don’t have a state income tax. He’ll be just fine.

Edit: O’Brien made over 15 million with the Texans. He doesn’t impress me as a guy who blows his money so I don’t think we need to worry about him being able to pay rent in Boston.

Last edited:
I could understand Chip Kelly going to the NFL as an OC, but an OC in college makes no sense for him... probably just tOSU pipe dream.
I would tend to agree with you on that. But an Ohio State-based publication explained why, although it's a long-shot, it might make sense:

"Day got his start in college football by playing for Chip Kelly at New Hampshire. Kelly was Day's offensive coordinator while he was the starting quarterback. Day has talked about how much he learned about football from Chip and would certainly love to have him on his staff.

But Kelly is the head coach of a rival Big Ten school. Why would he demote himself to offensive coordinator? There are two main reasons. The first is that Kelly is on the hot seat at UCLA already. A lot of fans want him gone and this could be his last year with the Bruins anyway.

Secondly, Kelly is clearly interested in a return to the NFL. If he can work for the Buckeyes for a year and turn Will Howard into a first or second-round draft pick, an NFL team very well could hire him as an offensive coordinator. He doesn't have a good enough QB at UCLA for him to do that."

Chip Kelly and Ryan Day

If he can work for the Buckeyes for a year and turn Will Howard into a first or second-round draft pick, an NFL team very well could hire him as an offensive coordinator. He doesn't have a good enough QB at UCLA for him to do that."

Chip Kelly and Ryan Day
[/QUOTE]

Oh he had one....and had him for a whole season no less. Buuuuut, HELLO PORTAL!!!!

over 20k a month after taxes...I feel like he could probably make it work.
And that's not counting all the money he likely has in his bank account from his buyout with the Texans.

he was born and raised in Boston, and most likely lives there currently as a function of being the Patriots OC.

he also has a son with lissencephally who likely won't live long enough to see adulthood, so one would imagine that constant moving is an added stressor.

he'd make over double what he would at tOSU, not have to sell his house, coach in the softest P4 conference, and be a hero if he can consistently reach bowl games.

Now I am wondering...why the **** are we even worried about it?

Like, I can't believe I even looked that up! The **** to I care about him and his budget?!?! Haha
Has more to do with him potentially coaching against us but somebody questioned why he would take the BC job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT