ADVERTISEMENT

Bad sign

That Betts may not qualify and that, despite the founder of this site and Husker insider Sean Callahan's statement, Iowa surely couldn't be Johnson's dream school. Inform yourself, then create a thread, then respond to the posters. In that order, stop skipping the vital first step.
Yep. All is well in our recruiting in Nebraska. Sean Callahan and you say so. These kids all had other “dream schools”. Well... there you have it. Dear old Nebraska U is no longer the dream school for kids in Omaha. So no issues at all. Frost is a great recruiter and we are doing really well.

Penny, would you prefer a Neb kid with less upside than a kid from another state who is better? So if you had a 3* Neb Vs a 4* FL or TX kid you would choose 3* Neb?
Great question. If it is a zero sum game I would choose the four star kid. But right now it isn’t a zero sum game. And he isn’t the only Omaha recruit we have lost. Even Osborne put a premium on landing these Nebraska kids. I don’t know why this is controversial.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Yep. All is well in our recruiting in Nebraska. Sean Callahan and you say so. These kids all had other “dream schools”. Well... there you have it. Dear old Nebraska U is no longer the dream school for kids in Omaha. So no issues at all. Frost is a great recruiter and we are doing really well.
Pennsy you need to take a step back from the ledge man. Personally I am good with these 2 going elsewhere and I have a suspicion that our coaching staff may be too. I'll say it one more time. I'm not sure how hard we went after these kids. .Winking I would rather have them go elsewhere now than burn a scholarship for a couple of years and then leave or be asked to leave when things don't work out.

I'm not sure if you're more qualified to have the pulse of the men from Pennsylvania than Sean Callahan is with his press credentials in Lincoln, but I've been wrong once before. I don't think I'm wrong here, though.

I'm not saying the staff didn't want the kid, I'm saying the kid didn't want the school and Callahan's quote along with Johnson's own statement about Nebraska not being the same as it was when his dad attended say he wanted to go elsewhere. Iowa happened to be elsewhere. You pat him on the back and move on.

This may in fact be a seminal moment for the program, but it's going to lead to Frost taking over more in-state recruiting from Ruud and Frost spending more time in Omaha. Those are good things. However, it's not a death nail in the coffin of Nebraska football, so call back your pallbearers.

Great question. If it is a zero sum game I would choose the four star kid. But right now it isn’t a zero sum game. And he isn’t the only Omaha recruit we have lost. Even Osborne put a premium on landing these Nebraska kids. I don’t know why this is controversial.
The difference is there was very little * Ratings back in the day. Kids wanted to earn it, Osborne lost many players from Neb, Larry Station, Robinson, TE from Lexington to Wyoming, Frost etc. relax it is about the overall class rank

The difference is there was very little * Ratings back in the day. Kids wanted to earn it, Osborne lost many players from Neb, Larry Station, Robinson, TE from Lexington to Wyoming, Frost etc. relax it is about the overall class rank
Exactly. The majority of Nebraska players who were regional recruits, like Johnson is, Osborne prioritized through the walk-on program. National recruits, like Dickerson, Osborne would have offered. I don't think Johnson gets an offer if he isn't a legacy and plays in Tennessee or North Carolina, however, and that's under Osborne or Frost. Obviously, we'll never know.

If you don’t think getting D1 caliber Nebraska kids to commit to Nebraska is important, then you haven’t even paying attention. Geez.

I've been playing plenty of attention.

I think you are confusing two issues. One is players that aren't offered by Nebraska, or who are slow played by Nebraska, who end up having success at other schools. Those players wanted to come to Nebraska, those players are the Garrett Nelson's of the world. The other is players that Nebraska recruited hard, but in the end they chose to go somewhere else. Johnson and Dickerson were recruited by Nebraska, but they chose to go elsewhere.

I have a bigger issue with losing out on guys that want to come to Nebraska but weren't offered than I do losing out on guys that evidently didn't want to come to Nebraska, even when offered.

Tom Osborne could close the deal. He walks into a recruit’s living room and things change. Apparently, Frost has no such influence. These are NEBRASKA kids we are losing. 500 mile radius? Lmao. How about 50 miles? Maybe Frost can recruit Waverly.
You forgot about Larry station, randy jostest. TO didn’t always get them especially out of Omaha. It hurts but not the end of the world

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Ummm the Johnson kid is not a marquee recruit first of all.

I know this is sacrilege, but I simply don't see the big deal in Johnson going elsewhere. Or that players in state go elsewhere. I want Nebraska to get the best 25 players they can get each and every year. If this dude isn't in that group, where he grew up means little to me.

All I will ask is, if Keegan Johnson was from Peoria, IL would we even care that he chose Iowa?
Two guys that get it. Let's reserve the word "marquee" for appropriate use. For the love of all that is holy, stop panicking over every kid that announces a verbal. We have been seriously upgrading our talent and yet we're simply not going to get them all. Even if they have Nebraska ties. Our program is in trouble because Frost has laid two sub .500 eggs and we have a brutal schedule next season. Whether or not Frost turns that around will have zero to do with where this kid plays football.

I've been playing plenty of attention.

I think you are confusing two issues. One is players that aren't offered by Nebraska, or who are slow played by Nebraska, who end up having success at other schools. Those players wanted to come to Nebraska, those players are the Garrett Nelson's of the world. The other is players that Nebraska recruited hard, but in the end they chose to go somewhere else. Johnson and Dickerson were recruited by Nebraska, but they chose to go elsewhere.

I have a bigger issue with losing out on guys that want to come to Nebraska but weren't offered than I do losing out on guys that evidently didn't want to come to Nebraska, even when offered.
Nebraska offered Ott and Bazata as preferred walkons, but Iowa offered full rides. Both players talked about their dreams of playing for Nebraska, but the allure isn’t there anymore where kids give up full rides. That strategy might have worked in the 70s and 80s but not now.

Tom Osborne could close the deal. He walks into a recruit’s living room and things change. Apparently, Frost has no such influence. These are NEBRASKA kids we are losing. 500 mile radius? Lmao. How about 50 miles? Maybe Frost can recruit Waverly.
I'm glad you invoked the name of Coach Osborne. He is on record as saying it would take no less than four years to turn the program around. But having said that, I do not give Coach frost a full pass. The losses last year to Purdue and Indiana were, in my opinion, on the coaches. But if Tom Osborne says it's gonna take 4-5 years, I'm gonna wait that long before drawing any final conclusions.

I don't think it's over with Dickerson. Minnesota signing was very odd. I think Fleck pressured him. I will guarantee we pick up a better player than Johnson. He knows he wasn't a priority. Probably thinks he's sticking it to us by going to Iowa

I just don’t get all the handwringing over KJ’s commitment to Iowa. This was a kid with 4 P5 offers. I guarantee people would have been pissed about offering this kid if he wasn’t Clester’s son. Now it is the end of the world, when he goes somewhere else. Just last week we pulled a recruit out of Miami with offers from a host of big time schools and its crickets, but yes let’s freak out about losing KJ.

81BABqeWJ5L._AC_UX385_.jpg

Maybe the Yeezy's are no longer the shiz.

I just don’t get all the handwringing over KJ’s commitment to Iowa. This was a kid with 4 P5 offers. I guarantee people would have been pissed about offering this kid if he wasn’t Clester’s son. Now it is the end of the world, when he goes somewhere else. Just last week we pulled a recruit out of Miami with offers from a host of big time schools and its crickets, but yes let’s freak out about losing KJ.
It’s just another sign of the decline of the Roman Empire. You’re right it’s one kid, but one kid that would have be locked up months ago if Nebraska was on it’s game. Just a sign of the times.

I know this is sacrilege, but I simply don't see the big deal in Johnson going elsewhere. Or that players in state go elsewhere. I want Nebraska to get the best 25 players they can get each and every year. If this dude isn't in that group, where he grew up means little to me.

All I will ask is, if Keegan Johnson was from Peoria, IL would we even care that he chose Iowa?
Absolutely nailed it

It’s just another sign of the decline of the Roman Empire. You’re right it’s one kid, but one kid that would have be locked up months ago if Nebraska was on it’s game. Just a sign of the times.
He is a recent 3* if he lived in Tx would you care?

Reactions: headcard
It's not a good sign, but it's not the end of the world. Like it's been said MANY TIMES BEFORE, this recruiting cycle is going to be a cluster****. There will be a very high rate of decomitting kids because they finally got a chance to get to campus and didn't necessarily love it and may think they will like this other campus/program better.

Losing keagan and Dickerson hurts, especially since one is a legacy. But both position groups have been recruited very well over the past few years (WR is a bigger question mark obviously since none of the guys have really gotten a chance to hit the field). Also, winning has not been a luxury around here as of late, so these kids haven't seen a really good team in Lincoln in a while, so their perception of the program is "it won't get back to winning, I've seen nothing but losing". Which is fair. Winning games will fix a lot of this next year

Let's take a step back and realize this recruiting cycle is going to be bonkers and Frost/the staff is taking the long game approach. In other words they want to get kids to campus first. We've filled holes so far, let's just let everything play out and relax. That's just me though

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
Nebraska didn’t want this legacy from Omaha Nebraska, that they recruited hard, because they want better players from Texas. Got it.
That’s not what he said, so you are either stupid or trolling. Either way, the Iowa board would be a better place for a fella like you.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
Don’t disagree with this. But I also ain’t giving Frost any more slack than we gave any of our other failed coaches. And after two LOSING seasons, I count Frost as a failed coach until he proves otherwise.
You answered it right there "any of our failed coaches".
Playing hanger on with nine wins a game isnt what TO did, MR,nuff said.BC? It wasnt the same even under Frank.
So, three failed coaches, walkon program halved, coaches not going statewide etc etc. Now, the wins need to come.
Is this any different than not putting guys in the nfl? Like we haven't?

Alot has changed through failure since TO, and if SF had a few guys who played on a national championship, it would look different.
We dont and haven't averaged the number for players on the all Big Ten team.

Winning fixes alot of this.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Penny, would you prefer a Neb kid with less upside than a kid from another state who is better? So if you had a 3* Neb Vs a 4* FL or TX kid you would choose 3* Neb?

4-star recruits like Cam Jones, Miles Jones, Greg Bell, CJ Smith, Tate Wildeman, Tyjon Lindsey, Guy Thomas, Avery Roberts, Keyshawn Jr, Jaevon McQuitty, John Raridon, Jalin Barnett, Avery Anderson, Eric Lee....?

Iowa's put quite a few 3-star recruits in the NFL recently, including one from Omaha in the 1st-Round last year. So they are either good at evaluating underrated recruits, or really good at developing them. I don't like to say it, but recruits in the area notice. I'm fine with pulling recruits out of far-away states like Florida and Texas and California, but many of them have not panned out recently, and these kids are more likely to get homesick and leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Here’s my take Penny, does it sting? Yes but only because they are local kids. Here’s from what I heard from recruiting experts:

Dickerson - Athletic freak but injury prone and doesn’t like the contact. He’s not better than what we got from last years class. Having said that, his recruitment is far from over. Think of him as a taller version of Grixby.

Johnson - Solid prospect, could turn into a good player or may not. I personally like the Noel kid we are after better, as he has better speed. Recruitment is probably over for us with Johnson. Seems to have always liked Iowa better than us. We did turn it on in the past week but his heart has always been with Iowa, as weird as it sounds. Can’t fault Frost here, he did try hard from what I heard.

Having said that, we need to bring in the best 25 guys every year, period. Don’t get too worked up over this. I would rather get top notch guys from Miami than from Omaha. The level of competition is much better down there.

Nebraska offered Ott and Bazata as preferred walkons, but Iowa offered full rides. Both players talked about their dreams of playing for Nebraska, but the allure isn’t there anymore where kids give up full rides. That strategy might have worked in the 70s and 80s but not now.
And the coach who slow played Ott and Bazata isn’t here anymore. Frost didn’t offer Johnson a walk on spot. He offered him a scholarship.

I don’t even know what you are getting at with this post.

4-star recruits like Cam Jones, Miles Jones, Greg Bell, CJ Smith, Tate Wildeman, Tyjon Lindsey, Guy Thomas, Avery Roberts, Keyshawn Jr, Jaevon McQuitty, John Raridon, Jalin Barnett, Avery Anderson, Eric Lee....?

Iowa's put quite a few 3-star recruits in the NFL recently, including one from Omaha in the 1st-Round last year. So they are either good at evaluating underrated recruits, or really good at developing them. I don't like to say it, but recruits in the area notice. I'm fine with pulling recruits out of Florida and Texas, but realize that it's more likely these kids will get homesick and leave.

Well there's a wet blanket when we didn't need one. Truth hurts.

Iowa's put quite a few 3-star recruits in the NFL recently, including one from Omaha in the 1st-Round last year. So they are either good at evaluating underrated recruits, or really good at developing them. I don't like to say it, but recruits in the area notice. I'm fine with pulling recruits out of Florida and Texas, but realize that it's more likely these kids will get homesick and leave.

With all due respect....Getting players to the NFL is low on my list. I only care about Nebraska winning football games.

Nebraska needs to develop talent better, but the answer is not to recruit more lightly recruited and lower ranked guys and develop them. Why not recruit top ranked players and develop them further? Kids get homesick and leave when they are losing football games and not getting better at football.

If we lose Devon Jackson and Deshawn Woods, then it’s time to call an emergency. These are instate kids at a position in need that are excellent talents.

With Johnson I see kid not fast enough to be a burner and not tall enough to be physical. Maybe he can develop into a slot and take hits over the middle. Would I have been happy to land him @ NU. Hell yes but was he at a position of need, No. Nebraska wanted him. Iowa needed him. We’ve got a lot more talent in the cupboard

with Dickerson we’ve taken like 9 d-backs in two years. Kids afraid of competing. I can’t blame him. We’ve signed good talent. He won’t find that kind of competition in Minnesota. Not sure I want a kid coming to Nebraska to be a black shirt whose afraid of depth at a position. We need kids who believe they are good enough to win starting spots.

Give us Haarberg & Teddy this year and woods & Jackson next and I can give zero F’s about 165 pound corner from a HS that doesn’t produce crap in football and a Wr whose never been double covered in Nebraska HS football.

With all due respect....Getting players to the NFL is low on my list. I only care about Nebraska winning football games.

Nebraska needs to develop talent better, but the answer is not to recruit more lightly recruited and lower ranked guys and develop them. Why not recruit top ranked players and develop them further? Kids get homesick and leave when they are losing football games and not getting better at football.

Football is such a complex game. Had we had a good special teams unit last year we would have won 7-8 games. Winning games creates confidence. Then confidence motivates the players to try harder. In terms of the NFL, teams and scouts do not trust how we are developing players and this has been an issue since ‘14. We need to flip that by winning some games so that our boys will be motivated to push harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT