ADVERTISEMENT

Bad sign

I have seen all of last years B10 games 3x...Frost did have many questionable play calls and some games AM was complete cheeks and we kept him in. I also think there was not a lot of talent overall on the field like some think.

*I can't stress enough how important the hire of Lubick is for this offense*

People seem to disagree with me, but from the film Barry, Bootle, Dismuke, Honas, Davis, and Miller were not good football players for us last year. I really hope Chin makes an effort to play younger kids this season on defense.
You keep on using this word "jabroni" and... it's awesome.

I have seen all of last years B10 games 3x...Frost did have many questionable play calls and some games AM was complete cheeks and we kept him in. I also think there was not a lot of talent overall on the field like some think.

People seem to disagree with me, but from the film Barry, Bootle, Dismuke, Honas, Davis, and Miller were not good football players for us last year. I really hope Chin makes an effort to play younger kids this season on defense.
Honas, no depth and coming off injury, might improve. Bootle, there's room for improvement,has the tools.
Miller,hard to say if he'll improve.

Tom Osborne could close the deal. He walks into a recruit’s living room and things change. Apparently, Frost has no such influence. These are NEBRASKA kids we are losing. 500 mile radius? Lmao. How about 50 miles? Maybe Frost can recruit Waverly.
I usually agree with you a stuff. I can't on this. You can't compare what TO did with what Frost is or isn't doing. Times are WAY different. The 3 biggest differences:

1) TO didn't have to deal with the wide reach of social media. The diamonds in the rough Neb kids TO got, stayed under the radar. Now days every school in the country can see and recruit every state. Those diamonds are now on display for everyone to see.

2)TO also had the advantage of displaying championship level football to recruits for 40+ years. Frost is trying to sell 3 losings season and a rebuild to recruits. Neb kids then grew up seeing Neb dominate, and dreamed of playing for Neb. Now days Neb kids have only seen piss poor Neb and don't care.
Plus the fact TO could show all the talent Nebraska put into the NFL. Nebraskas NFL talent has been diminishing for the last 10 years.

3) TO and Nebraska were ahead of the curve when it came to facilities, strength program, and nutrition. Those were good selling points to kids. Now days every single program can offer the same or better.

Frost has a much much tougher path to get recruits. Winning will fix a lot. IMO he has to get 8 wins this year or I think we are going to see recruiting tank.

Last edited:
JMHO, some kids just want to get out of the state go someplace new on that free “ticket to ride”. They haven’t bought totally into the Husker mystic.
That’s fine, let the young man spread his wings.

Coach Frost is going to earn his stripes, it will only make us better.

GBR!
I learned today that Keegan and Clester Johnson were both tight with Troy Walters. KJ told a WH reporter that he was tight with the WR coach at Iowa as well and the coaching staff stability (Walters leaving) was a big part of his decision. Clester needs to turn in his National Championship ring IMO. What kind of dad lets his kid got to Iowa? IF Walters leaving costs a kid or two, I'm more than happy to live with that consequence.

I usually agree with you a stuff. I can't on this. You can't compare what TO did with what Frost is or isn't doing. Times are WAY different. The 3 biggest differences:

1) TO didn't have to deal with the wide reach of social media. The diamonds in the rough Neb kids TO got, stayed under the radar. Now days every school in the country can see and recruit every state. Those diamonds are now on display for everyone to see.

2)TO also had the advantage of displaying championship level football to recruits for 40+ years. Frost is trying to sell 3 losings season and a rebuild to recruits. Neb kids then grew up seeing Neb dominate, and dreamed of playing for Neb. Now days Neb kids have only seen piss poor Neb and don't care.
Plus the fact TO could show all the talent Nebraska put into the NFL. Nebraskas NFL talent has been diminishing for the last 10 years.

3) TO and Nebraska were ahead of the curve when it came to facilities, strength program, and nutrition. Those were good selling points to kids. Now days every single program can offer the same or better.

Frost has a much much tougher path to get recruits. Winning will fix a lot. IMO he has to get 8 wins this year or I think we are going to see recruiting tank.
I think if we get to 7 wins showing improvement with our schedule we'll be fine. IF we get to 7 in the regular season and win a bowl game to get to 8, IMO things will really take off for the next year.

A guy I love as a player (and think he's going to get there eventually) is Cam Taylor-Britt, but if you go back and watch the majority of Nebraska's big plays given up, he's either missing the tackle or taking a bad angle.

I know he had the pick against Illinois and then the pick-6 and fumble recovery against Iowa, but...

-He bit on the 95+ yard flea-flicker at Colorado and missed the tackle
-He got stiff-armed into the ground on the last possible open-field tackle on Reggie Corbin's 60+ yard run at Illinois
-Missed the tackle as the last guy against Wisconsin on their kickoff return TD
-Failed to contain the edge on the long reverse against Iowa (along with Tannor)
-Took a terrible angle as the last guy on the kickoff return TD versus Iowa

Great kid, huge potential, and was in on a bunch of good plays, but when he missed he missed hugely.

A guy I love as a player (and think he's going to get there eventually) is Cam Taylor-Britt, but if you go back and watch the majority of Nebraska's big plays given up, he's either missing the tackle or taking a bad angle.

I know he had the pick against Illinois and then the pick-6 and fumble recovery against Iowa, but...

-He got stiff-armed into the ground on the last possible open-field tackle on Reggie Corbin's 60+ yard run at Illinois
-Failed to contain the edge on the long reverse against Iowa (along with Tannor)

Great kid, huge potential, and was in on a bunch of good plays, but when he missed he missed hugely.
We get Deontai back, plus the young pups

Reactions: hedonistimpulse

Not exactly what you hope for in a safety, lol.

I feel good about our DB’s. Much more concerned about the front 7.
How about the middle three?
Nelson and whomever will start out better than last year. The two middles should improve, and it wouldn't surprise me if they get passed over.
JoJo wont be all alone any more.
The D line, to me, our tackles will lose some, but we need that war daddy in the middle.

Last year our D line was fine, played well, dominated in plays, not games. The LBing, we know how that went, but I think whats being pointed out is, our safeties and depth needing nickle safety was bad when Deontai went down, and against spread, good coached teams with some talent could take advantage of us because of our lack of safeties and or great ILB play.

Reactions: headcard
I have a statement to make and it’s not very poignant. Amart sucked last year. Wow, was he bad or what? I think Scott was caught up in the same conundrum we all were in. Waittttiiiinnnngg and hooooopppping Amart would wake up and by the time we all realized he wasn’t, it was to late.

Scotty Boy needs to create a little magic this year and frickin turn it on from there.

I have a statement to make and it’s not very poignant. Amart sucked last year. Wow, was he bad or what? I think Scott was caught up in the same conundrum we all were in. Waittttiiiinnnngg and hooooopppping Amart would wake up and by the time we all realized he wasn’t, it was to late.

Scotty Boy needs to create a little magic this year and frickin turn it on from there.

AMart was also playing hurt. Perhaps he was still our best option on a bum knee and shoulder. I don’t know.

It was very obvious it got in to his head as well. To top it off, he obviously lost some burst in the offseason. He’s still a huge talent. We have all seen it. Hopefully Mario and Frost can get him right.

AMart was also playing hurt. Perhaps he was still our best option on a bum knee and shoulder. I don’t know.

It was very obvious it got in to his head as well. To top it off, he obviously lost some burst in the offseason. He’s still a huge talent. We have all seen it. Hopefully Mario and Frost can get him right.
Having the ball snapped over his head or into the dirt every third snap for half the season didn't exactly help a young QB's confidence as well. That would give you the yipps.

I learned today that Keegan and Clester Johnson were both tight with Troy Walters. KJ told a WH reporter that he was tight with the WR coach at Iowa as well and the coaching staff stability (Walters leaving) was a big part of his decision. Clester needs to turn in his National Championship ring IMO. What kind of dad lets his kid got to Iowa? IF Walters leaving costs a kid or two, I'm more than happy to live with that consequence.
Walters tenure at NU would be best described as disinterested. He wanted the UCF job and when he didn't get it, it was go along to Nebraska or be unemployed. I suspect he thought is stature would rise if the staff was able to turn around Nebraska in similar fashion. Ultimately they could not repeat what they accomplished at UCF in the same time frame. Walter's lack of commitment and drive to the Nebraska job became evident and he had to go.

I had heard the same thing about them being close with Walters. Sometimes that is just the cost of coaching turnover, can't let the possibility of losing a recruit keep you from making a needed staff change.

The no fear of failure motto is great in theory, horrible when it comes to being a great football player.

Last year there were three factors that limited AMart's effectiveness, which in turn, I think, frustrated him and got into his head:

1. He really was playing hurt. Bad knee and bad shoulder.
2. His center, early on, could not snap the ball properly or make proper line calls.
3. His receivers were not getting open with consistency. JD was the only one who was and he got pounded, which I think has led to his medical departure. My goodness that kid took some hits last year.

My complaint, therefore, is not with Amart as such. My complaint is that they did not burn Luke's redshirt.

All that said.... who the hell am I? Nobody. I am sure the coaches know better than I do what Luke was capable of last year. And we must remember he was injured for a stretch too.

For better or for worse, Frost made the decision that AMart was our best option. The backup QB is always everyone's favorite player, or so the old cliche goes. But Luke did very well when he was in the game and passed the eyeball test in my book. Still... I repeat... who the hell am I?

Last year there were three factors that limited AMart's effectiveness, which in turn, I think, frustrated him and got into his head:

1. He really was playing hurt. Bad knee and bad shoulder.
2. His center, early on, could not snap the ball properly or make proper line calls.
3. His receivers were not getting open with consistency. JD was the only one who was and he got pounded, which I think has led to his medical departure. My goodness that kid took some hits last year.

My complaint, therefore, is not with Amart as such. My complaint is that they did not burn Luke's redshirt.

All that said.... who the hell am I? Nobody. I am sure the coaches know better than I do what Luke was capable of last year. And we must remember he was injured for a stretch too.

For better or for worse, Frost made the decision that AMart was our best option. The backup QB is always everyone's favorite player, or so the old cliche goes. But Luke did very well when he was in the game and passed the eyeball test in my book. Still... I repeat... who the hell am I?

Agree on all points. I think this comes down to a truly open QB competition this year. Really hope Frost let's AM and LM battle it out. Just handing the ball to AM does Husker football no good.

Agree on all points. I think this comes down to a truly open QB competition this year. Really hope Frost let's AM and LM battle it out. Just handing the ball to AM does Husker football no good.
I agree there must be an true QB competition. I also think Frost needs to have the #2 guy ready to start. Especially if the starter is AM. The kid is very injury prone and odds of him making it without missing games is slim.

Reactions: otismotis08
There has not been a true QB competition in Lincoln since Frost arrived! Not sure you can trust there will be one this year either! I sure hope there is.

There has not been a true QB competition in Lincoln since Frost arrived! Not sure you can trust there will be one this year either! I sure hope there is.
And there never will.
Plans are to bring back AM as santa domingo year eight.

Coaches do not like QB competition and rivalry and with good reason. It is not good to have guys in the locker room siding up with one guy over the other. It also causes both QB's to be constantly afraid of making a mistake and playing tight. Yes, it is good to have depth at QB. But once you have your QB it is wise to keep him as the starter in a very explicit way unless his competitor is just clearly that much better.

Maybe like this?
iowa_welcome_sign.jpg
Speaking of a shit hole, it doesn't get much skankier than Carter Lake. No one should enter that town after sundown!

Losing Johnson is not going to be a big concern in the end, but it does hurt to lose top talent from the state. Nebraska has no troubles recruiting good WR's. The problem as I see it is Frost's inability to field a decent defense. If you look at all his coaching seasons, he has never had a good defense. At UCF he just outscored other teams that couldn't field a decent defense. Three big west teams are in the top 12 in defense, and six big ten teams are in the top 25. If Frost can't field at least a top 30 defense, he is not going to win championships in the big ten. So, recruiting WR's is important, but I think he has bigger problems then a few local kids going elsewhere. Iowa is going to lose Bollers, and he could commit here or with Wisconsin. This is Frost's third year, and usually AD's and fans expect results by year three. With Nebraska having the fifth toughest schedule in the nation, that is going to be a task. He might have a better team, but is it going to show in the w/l column?

Even on Osborne's teams, he had capable backups. How far would NU (or Tommie for that matter) have gone without Berringer. It should be no gimmicks. Just true competition. AM2 knows this would make him better and the backup capable of starting when the starter is not able to carry the team to victory. I'll be glad when Frost build some depth on this team. He still needs to win more games, regardless.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Go back and watch McCaffrey play QB last season. If the light doesn't turn on for Adrian this/next year, Frost will simply change the bulb.

Reactions: otismotis08
Go back and watch McCaffrey play QB last season. If the light doesn't turn on for Adrian this/next year, Frost will simply change the bulb.

I sure hope they get enough practice in before the season begins such that any such light bulb changing happens before week 1.

He's good. Was put in a tough spot. Think we'll see him at CB if we have enough safeties. Tackling on the edge will look a lot different than it was with Lamar. Remember Cam also made a ton of huge plays to keep us in some games. Stripped CU's All-American WR when we needed a big play, pick-six vs. Iowa, etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Leaders force people to act a certain way and hold them accountable when they fail.

They put individuals in what may be uncomfortable positions for them to accomplish a team goal. It appears Peter and Foreman are still leaders calling out guys they feel don't want to do what's best for the program.

Those two guys aren't just keyboard warriors, either. I'm not saying anything will come of it, but nobody's getting froggy with Jason Peter at the next alumni event and everyone knows it.

Panic? You don’t know me at all. This is not a good trend. You can spin this all you want, but it sucks

I agree with you and I am not panicking either, But the Huskers need to start winning games. If they play the full schedule (and I don't think they will) I think at a minimum they need to beat Purdue, Central Michigan, SD State, Northwestern, Illinois and Rutgers. Frosting on the cake would be if they steal one or two games from the remaining schedule.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT