ADVERTISEMENT

Bad sign

I agree with you and I am not panicking either, But the Huskers need to start winning games. If they play the full schedule (and I don't think they will) I think at a minimum they need to beat Purdue, Central Michigan, SD State, Northwestern, Illinois and Rutgers. Frosting on the cake would be if they steal one or two games from the remaining schedule.
Purdue is a big one.

Reactions: TFrazier
If Coach Frost can turn this program around...it might be a modern day miracle.

giphy.gif
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who ya are.

Reactions: TFrazier
So Nebraska loses two marquee recruits out of Omaha in the past month. I guess Scott Frost isn’t the recruiter many think he is. This is a really, really bad sign. It says kids in Nebraska don’t believe in the Scott Frost pixie dust of excuses and false bravado. They prefer to commit to coaches who don’t throw players under the bus to cover up for their own coaching mistakes.
Go piss off somewhere!

So Nebraska loses two marquee recruits out of Omaha in the past month. I guess Scott Frost isn’t the recruiter many think he is. This is a really, really bad sign. It says kids in Nebraska don’t believe in the Scott Frost pixie dust of excuses and false bravado. They prefer to commit to coaches who don’t throw players under the bus to cover up for their own coaching mistakes.
You're not a fan, quit being so negative.

Losing Johnson is not going to be a big concern in the end, but it does hurt to lose top talent from the state. Nebraska has no troubles recruiting good WR's. The problem as I see it is Frost's inability to field a decent defense. If you look at all his coaching seasons, he has never had a good defense. At UCF he just outscored other teams that couldn't field a decent defense. Three big west teams are in the top 12 in defense, and six big ten teams are in the top 25. If Frost can't field at least a top 30 defense, he is not going to win championships in the big ten. So, recruiting WR's is important, but I think he has bigger problems then a few local kids going elsewhere. Iowa is going to lose Bollers, and he could commit here or with Wisconsin. This is Frost's third year, and usually AD's and fans expect results by year three. With Nebraska having the fifth toughest schedule in the nation, that is going to be a task. He might have a better team, but is it going to show in the w/l column?
I said this day one Frost was hired. I had little concerns about him putting together a top notch offense. One that would be able to score with anyone in the country. My concern has always been the D side. Frost has never had to deal with consistently good to great Ds week in and week out, like the BIG puts out. I honestly believe he came in here thinking what worked at UCF would work just as good here. That logic is just to play fast and outscore your opponents and have you D create a couple turn overs. The D is too good in the BIG to be able to put up 50+ a game and just outscored everyone. You have to at least have a competent D that can get some stops. IMO I think he needs to bring in a top level / proven D coordinator. I don't think Chin is the guy who can put together a good enough D to take some pressure off of Frosts offense.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
I said this day one Frost was hired. I had little concerns about him putting together a top notch offense. One that would be able to score with anyone in the country. My concern has always been the D side. Frost has never had to deal with consistently good to great Ds week in and week out, like the BIG puts out. I honestly believe he came in here thinking what worked at UCF would work just as good here. That logic is just to play fast and outscore your opponents and have you D create a couple turn overs. The D is too good in the BIG to be able to put up 50+ a game and just outscored everyone. You have to at least have a competent D that can get some stops. IMO I think he needs to bring in a top level / proven D coordinator. I don't think Chin is the guy who can put together a good enough D to take some pressure off of Frosts offense.
Chin's D > Frost's O in 2019.

And then the offense sucking @ss doesn’t help the bad defense much.

I know the OP deleted his post, regardless, just wanted to add my .02 to the ongoing convos. I prefer to think of it as the cost of doing business, rather than a bad sign, at least within the current time frame. For some, losing a top recruit reflects poorly on Nebraska simply because they’re in the midst of a multi-season skid. It’s natural to wonder if recruits are seeing something negative the fans aren’t. Is there concern that Frost is on the hot seat? Maybe the past couple of solid classes caused the recruit to be concerned about playing time? Or maybe he just wanted to forge his own path different than his dad? On the flip side, had Nebraska challenged for the Big10 West last year, losing a top recruit might have a different reflection.

Vernacular or not, the Huskers have picked up top in-state talent elsewhere, and vice-versa. While it stings losing a home-grown recruit who could help, that’s the name of the game. Not every kid in the 500-mile radius picks the Huskers. It’s always been that way here, there……and everywhere. Last year, the top three recruits in Alabama picked other schools; the top HS player in Iowa went to TCU, while the Huskers landed the second highest recruit out of Minnesota. Point is, the Huskers aren’t unique in losing top in-state talent. Yeah, it’s not fun giving fans of other teams (especially the B10 west teams) something to sneer about, but Frost and Co. just need to commit themselves to the kids who want to be there, and coach them in to top players. Everything else will take care of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT