ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Cancels Football Season

PJwjx7L.gif

I hope the Big 12 and SEC go ahead and play. The BIG is trying to coordinate with the other p5 for the release of their statement. They want to do it jointly. What a bunch of pussies.

No real leadership in the B1G. Fear and the media won. Common sense has left.

Can they at least make up some of the spring practices? Or is that what they are essentially doing now

People saying this is a liability issue are incorrect. I get where their heads are at but it isnt like a pool situation.
I have sat in on discussions with three lawyers from different firms who all agreed it would be impossible to successfully sue for liability for catching coronavirus because it is literally impossible to prove where you get it, unlike drowing in a pool which is obvious.
In order to prove you caught it a certain place, you would have to be able to PROVE (not just testify) that you literally came in contact with no one else, nor came in contact with any item or object that was in contact from someone else, other than the place and activity for a period of a number of days. That is impossible to prove.
And even if you only saw your girlfriend, a negative test from them wouldnt be enough evidence because it is unlikely they would be tested in the correct window, and theres no way to prove they didnt have it before.

As a wise man once said, its not what you know, its what you can prove. 100% true.

Now, theres always the “well they drag it out for high costs to get a settlement”. This was addressed as well and they agreed no smart lawyer would take such cases because it has counter suits written all over it, and in order to play the “settlement” card, there has to be at least the illusion you could actually win.

This is stupid, shame on the big ten.
If other conferences play I will follow them and forget the big ten. Texas? Oklahoma? Would be my favorite team if they made play happen, because its common sense.
The negative effect this will have on athletes, cities and business owners and workers, banks, tenants, landlords, kids on and on will be larger than we expect. Some colleges could lose sports for good. Dunno about the future of CFB. I guess I’d say either guess is believable.
Shame on the big ten. If it comes out our president, AD, or coach was for this shutdown I will not be happy, not that they care other than my $$

EfEn_d1XkAA-CDw

this is awesome. I'm with Coach Harbaugh.
Kudos to Jim

Oh and another thing...the whole “big ten united” union crap is an absolute sham. They tried making it look like all big ten players were a part of it, that was a farce.

I also heard one sportswriter say presidents and ADs are more afraid of player union demands than of covid. Taken with a grain of salt its food for thought.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
If the BIG do cancel and the BIG IX don’t, is it at all realistic for Nebraska to quietly slide back into the IX and play them for the year

I hope the Big 12 and SEC go ahead and play. The BIG is trying to coordinate with the other p5 for the release of their statement. They want to do it jointly. What a bunch of pussies.

No real leadership in the B1G. Fear and the media won. Common sense has left.
Agreed.
I hope the other conferences play and the B1G takes a hard hit.

Another leg up for the SEC in recruiting.
How so? The in coming Freshman have already signed and this years class wouldn't be eligible anyway. Not seeing how it would have much of an impact on recruiting.

A related questions. What would happen with student eligibility if only some teams played. Could Sr's come back next year on teams that played, but not on teams that didn't? Would the 85 limit apply to everyone?

This is a war between academia, lawyers and athletic departments. Academics are uncomfortable with the amount of $ athletic departments cost (ignoring the revenue many bring in) and this is their chance to tilt the scales back to their power more. But then you have Boards who may want games and revenue that will weigh in as well. Then at some point state officials will come into play with allowing travel or attendance.

Looking at it in a disconnected manner as much as possible, it is fascinating. Will suck to not see games, but the power struggle is interesting to watch.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is a war between academia, lawyers and athletic departments. Academics are uncomfortable with the amount of $ athletic departments cost (ignoring the revenue many bring in) and this is their chance to tilt the scales back to their power more. But then you have Boards who may want games and revenue that will weigh in as well. Then at some point state officials will come into play with allowing travel or attendance.

Looking at it in a disconnected manner as much as possible, it is fascinating. Will suck to not see games, but the power struggle is interesting to watch.
I hate to get political, but this loss of revenue adds a bargaining chip for school administrators and staff who want the government to pay for education.
They are salivating.

Reactions: bomber89
At this point reality is more important than NU.
Id like to get out of the twilight zone we are currently in. The BIG deserves an egg on its face.
NU should demand they let us play. If they say no, we should play anyway. If they kick us out, they can pound sand.

That is Twilight Zone thinking. Like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Baymont Inn & Suites at 1133 Belmont Ave is for sale for $2.3 million. The hotel is less than 2 miles from Memorial. The Husker Athletics department buys it and makes upgrades to facilitate remote learning for any opponet that wants to come play. Fence in the lot, better WIFI, desks in all the rooms, improve the weight room etc. Here are the rules:

- Your team must charter bus/plane, no public transport

- Your team will stay at the hotel for up to 14 days to test/quarantine

- This means a bye week between each game

That is Twilight Zone thinking. Like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
You are entitled to your opinion.
But the real ones biting off their nose are going to lose their face as well.
This cancellation is going to really, really hurt a lot of people.
Its a lot bigger than “oh no i cant yell at my tv and drink beer watching football”. I dont think we realize. I think the B1G should face the consequences for this overreaction.

People saying this is a liability issue are incorrect. I get where their heads are at but it isnt like a pool situation.
I have sat in on discussions with three lawyers from different firms who all agreed it would be impossible to successfully sue for liability for catching coronavirus because it is literally impossible to prove where you get it, unlike drowing in a pool which is obvious.
In order to prove you caught it a certain place, you would have to be able to PROVE (not just testify) that you literally came in contact with no one else, nor came in contact with any item or object that was in contact from someone else, other than the place and activity for a period of a number of days. That is impossible to prove.
And even if you only saw your girlfriend, a negative test from them wouldnt be enough evidence because it is unlikely they would be tested in the correct window, and theres no way to prove they didnt have it before.

As a wise man once said, its not what you know, its what you can prove. 100% true.

Now, theres always the “well they drag it out for high costs to get a settlement”. This was addressed as well and they agreed no smart lawyer would take such cases because it has counter suits written all over it, and in order to play the “settlement” card, there has to be at least the illusion you could actually win.

Hmmm, well stated sir and a good read. Thank you!

Reactions: huskerfan1414

On ESPN this morning, Stephan A Smith and panelist talked about the "players organization" concern about proper proticall etc really is setting up the known reason for playing is this is putting unpaid individuals at risk for monetary gain for conferences and Universities. The money motive is well known and opens up athletes getting a cut of the pie because of the willingness of college football to put athletes at risk in order for fiscal gain.

Reactions: TheBeav815
We are going to have one wild-ass
schedule this fall. Bet Moos is one busy guy today.
I don't think Neb can create their own schedule. I mean they can probably go rouge and just do it it, at the risk of pissing off the BIG10 powers that be and getting kicked out. Not sure how all the legal stuff works. Maybe we have no options legally

Reactions: bomber89
The issue is liability, not the actual logistics of whether you could arguably keep them safer as part of a football team. I think you could, I fully agree the imposed structure is likely their best chance of NOT catching it.

But given the sheer numbers, a bunch of players will catch it. With the contact inherent to football, if people have it they'll spread it to teammates or opponents. Now it's a situation of "it happened on your watch."

A kid is a lot safer with me as a lifeguard sitting by the public pool than his is in a back yard by himself if he can't swim. But if he starts to drown in my pool instead of his, it becomes my problem.

how are high schools going to be able to play given potential liability .... when, if someone gets sick enough, they are going to be asked the question that if a 14 billion dollar industry put A thru Z measures in place and despite this concluded it wasn’t safe to play what made you conclude it was safe

academics don't like that jocks shoved them in a locker their whole lives.

it has nothing to do with money. peter pan syndrome all around.

Which commissioners are handling this the right way and will you still feel the same when they cancel their FB seasons too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT