ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently........

Redgator

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2001
Some LSU players were threatened with arrest for lighting up cigars in the locker room after the game. You can't make this kind of stuff up.
Oh my.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I have seen this reported in several places. I don’t know what LSU and state policies are but in many states including mine, any smoking on school grounds is illegal. The idea is that all schools are tobacco and drug free. It is hard to enforce though.

I have seen this reported in several places. I don’t know what LSU and state policies are but in many states including mine, any smoking on school grounds is illegal. The idea is that all schools are tobacco and drug free. It is hard to enforce though.

The stadium is no where close to a school or school grounds

Reactions: GMDYBBY
Anyone who has spent much time in New Orleans knows that in general the cops have zero sense of humor. I was walking to a Saints game and saw two nice looking ladies disregard an officer directing traffic and dash across the street. He "instructed" them to go back or go to jail, their choice. They went back.

There's two ways of looking at this, either the cop was a dick... or Burrow was a dick for putting the cop in the position of having to enforce the law. Maybe its both.

Cops are doing their job...nothing wrong with that

Players are celebrating with cigars, I get that it is against the law. If it is a big deal, get their names and send them their ticket.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Anyone who has spent much time in New Orleans knows that in general the cops have zero sense of humor. I was walking to a Saints game and saw two nice looking ladies disregard an officer directing traffic and dash across the street. He "instructed" them to go back or go to jail, their choice. They went back.
Sounds like the cops in Lincoln on game day - similar thing happened to a buddy of mine, except he was an unattractive male.

Good lord dude. Go read the post he replied to...
No kidding? Thanks for pointing that out. Good lord dude, the first guy says "smoking on school grounds is illegal" and the second guys says "wasn't anywhere near a school". My post was essentially "WTF are these guys talking about, it has nothing to do with a school." Let me know if you need me to explain anything else to you.

We need to remember that a lot of people wanted these laws, so why should they be selective? I never smoked but it never bothered me either, I figured someone was paying a tax I didn’t have to. That’s what is so confusing to me, that the same people wanted tobacco cigarettes illegal to use in most places, but we have to legalize weed.

There's two ways of looking at this, either the cop was a dick... or Burrow was a dick for putting the cop in the position of having to enforce the law. Maybe its both.

I live here and would say the exact opposite. Outside of killing someone, they are not going to do the paperwork. If cops were more hard, I would probably want to actually be down there more.

I live here and would say the exact opposite. Outside of killing someone, they are not going to do the paperwork. If cops were more hard, I would probably want to actually be down there more.
I stay at the Windsor Court 3-4 weeks a year and walk around Canal and the Quarter a lot. Never worried at all, but there have been a couple of situations the last few years of tourists getting jumped. Made me think about it.

No kidding? Thanks for pointing that out. Good lord dude, the first guy says "smoking on school grounds is illegal" and the second guys says "wasn't anywhere near a school". My post was essentially "WTF are these guys talking about, it has nothing to do with a school." Let me know if you need me to explain anything else to you.
My reading comprehension failed me there big time. I apologize

Reactions: mgbreis
If it wasn't athletes they would have been ticketed on the spot. I don't care who they beat-- unless some of you think athletes are above the law. Several threads on this board have indicated otherwise. Or, should we have cops just pick and choose which laws they are supposed to enforce (I guess some states are already doing that anyway).

Reactions: Bold Words
If it wasn't athletes they would have been ticketed on the spot. I don't care who they beat-- unless some of you think athletes are above the law. Several threads on this board have indicated otherwise. Or, should we have cops just pick and choose which laws they are supposed to enforce (I guess some states are already doing that anyway).

You seriously believe non-athletes would have been ticketed on the spot for smoking a cigar? I disagree. Even some 43-year-old drunk fat@ss like myself would have been told, likely at least twice, to put it out before any cop wanted to write a ticket.

You seriously believe non-athletes would have been ticketed on the spot for smoking a cigar? I disagree. Even some 43-year-old drunk fat@ss like myself would have been told, likely at least twice, to put it out before any cop wanted to write a ticket.

This would be like the cops breaking up a college party...they basically just want everyone to shut up and leave...they really don't feel like lining people up and writing 50 tickets.

The stadium is no where close to a school or school grounds

Location isn't the issue, policy is.

Is Memorial Stadium non smoking? I really do not know but guessing it is. Most stadiums would be, again, just a guess because I don't know for sure.

I'm surprised top athletes would smoke. and everybody knows, smoking ain't allowed in school

I get the narrative of if it’s illegal then there is no issue here, and that is correct and it’s the main reason why I’m kinda just meh here on this... but on the other side of that coin you’d all be delusional if you think the same think would happen to Drew Brees or a member of the Saints after a big win for them... my biggest issue with this is, if you’re going to enforce the rules that great but don’t pick and choose when and with who to enforce them with... meaning if you’d let the Saints do it, let these kids do it too, why choose then to enforce the rules and be an asshat right after these kids played and won the biggest game of their life up to this point...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT