ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still want to complain about the new DC?

Then watching how Alabama completely shut down Clemson but in turn Clemson held Alabama to one offensive touchdown
It's very incredible when you know that all of these teams recruit well on both sides of the ball. Anyway so what?

We’ve had them before, but I wouldn’t expect t-shirt UCF fans to know that much about college football.

I'd say he thinks that UCF's recruiting is a reflection of what recruiting will be at Nebraska.

Here is a Frost quote that sums it up...

“When I was evaluating quarterbacks for this class a long time ago, Adrian Martinez was my favorite guy in the country,” Frost said. “We didn’t think we had a chance to get him at our previous school, but now getting to Nebraska, he was interested.”

There is a difference, he may not want to believe it but the difference is real.

UCF was incredibly well prepared for Auburn, they knew the routes, and often read the holes properly on run plays. This was something they could not get done with those short weeks of preparation to end the year. Their defensive adjustments to audibles were right on, and when they gave up a big play it was because they got physically beat, not because they were out of position. Our defense was not prepared at any point in time to the team they were playing...

Reactions: StrongArm517
tUmxQdi.jpg

...and teach more than just a bull rush..

I really liked reading about how prepared UCFs defense was for Auburn, especially already having the plan for Auburn ready while at Nebraska recruiting.

Gives me hope that Chinander will have the D ready for everyone we play.

Auburn led the SEC with points scored on the season. They held Kerryon Johnson in check for the most part.

I think the turnovers were the biggest deal. Our defense lacks the turnovers and I just hope that he can bring that part of his defense to Nebraska. We have been severely missing that part of the game for many years. If we can win the turnover battles, we will win the games with Frost's offense.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's pretty damn good.

How often did he only have the 3 defensive linemen on the line of scrimmage? Seemed to have the line stacked often with 4 or 5 guys IIRC (not all rushing every time, but lined up there).
A true 3-4 is very disguisable, especially to the average fan. They can show a 3, 4 or 5 man look with their hand down. Or drop them back a few yards or even further back than that. To say they were in a 3 or 4 man front may not have been entirely accurate. It really depends on what the coordinator is trying to show and disguise.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
“When I was evaluating quarterbacks for this class a long time ago, Adrian Martinez was my favorite guy in the country,” Frost said. “We didn’t think we had a chance to get him at our previous school, but now getting to Nebraska, he was interested.”

There is a difference, he may not want to believe it but the difference is real.
:eek: This thread is gold I tell you. Gold.

A top 10-15 class next year?!? Bahahaha. Nice joke.
Yeah...I don’t really know why you think it’s funny. We have had top classes in the past and will have them in the future. UCF fans seem to think we can only attract 2 and 3 stars because of weather. I wouldn’t bet on it but I suspect we will have a very good class next year.

I told you guys that Chinander is legit. Our players just needed time to get the legs back undeneath them after playing 11 games in a row.

Yeah but our current players suck on defense and we have to wait 5 years until he gets all new players...

Pretty sure I am feeling a 9+ win season in 2018! :Cool:
Want to bet on that?

Which part?

The waiting 5 years and getting all new players on D?

Or the 9+ wins in 2018?

Either way, I am a little chicken $hit that has never made bets in my life and would say no to a bet... :D

I thought we would surprise the world and win like 10 or 11 games this past season... I am just an optimist... apparently a red juice drinking stupid optimist at that.

I honestly think we have a good chance to win 7 games (Akron, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, and NW).

With better coaching in practice, better play calling, and better in-game coaching, I think we will have a decent chance to win a couple games out of Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Iowa. Obviously a lot of this will hinge on QB play and defense, but after watching the UCF Auburn game, I am more optimistic now than I was before.

Which part?

The waiting 5 years and getting all new players on D?

Or the 9+ wins in 2018?

Either way, I am a little chicken $hit that has never made bets in my life and would say no to a bet... :D

I thought we would surprise the world and win like 10 or 11 games this past season... I am just an optimist... apparently a red juice drinking stupid optimist at that.

I honestly think we have a good chance to win 7 games (Akron, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, and NW).

With better coaching in practice, better play calling, and better in-game coaching, I think we will have a decent chance to win a couple games out of Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Iowa. Obviously a lot of this will hinge on QB play and defense, but after watching the UCF Auburn game, I am more optimistic now than I was before.

The 9+ win part.

With better coaching we could've won 7 this year. And if we'd have had those wins and some confidence maybe the Minnesota game would've been different for a possible 8th win.

I'd say 6-8 wins next year.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Not yet... Haha honestly I couldn't coach my way out of a wet paper bag, but I'm very excited for the spring game!

More nonsense.

The staff is elite but can only win 8-9 games in 4-5 years? Pelini and his staff were FAR from elite and won 9-10 every year here for 7 years. If they can win at UCF, they can do it here. We can recruit much better, see guys like Adrian Martinez, heck we probably could have had anyone on UCF’s roster, if we wanted them as a recruit. We also play in the easier division of the B1G.

Frost will get run off in 4-5 years for not winning a conference championship? LOL if he is winning 8-9 games he isn’t going anywhere for a long time. You really don’t seem to know much about Nebraska or college football in general.

Damn well said sir. Some folks just can't grasp what a massive difference a good HC does for results. "Especially" when it's a MONSTER sized upgrade for us from the Beaver HC disaster.

Reactions: headcard
Yeah, ok. Scott Frost isn't a great recruiter in case you never knew. This is the best season he's ever gonna have and you have ONE star recruit. Dude, Michigan, PSU, and OSU have 25 of the guys.....every class.

The staff can coach. Their recruiting is below average.
Gosh, thanks for showing up on the Husker board with such valuable insight. Of course there is a reason Adrian Martinez became a possibility AFTER Frost announced his plans. I'm sure UCF recruiting will experience a big bounce now that your school has a new staff of ace recruiters.

I really liked reading about how prepared UCFs defense was for Auburn, especially already having the plan for Auburn ready while at Nebraska recruiting.

Gives me hope that Chinander will have the D ready for everyone we play.

Auburn led the SEC with points scored on the season. They held Kerryon Johnson in check for the most part.

I think the turnovers were the biggest deal. Our defense lacks the turnovers and I just hope that he can bring that part of his defense to Nebraska. We have been severely missing that part of the game for many years. If we can win the turnover battles, we will win the games with Frost's offense.
Chinander's defense is going to cause turnovers. I'm not at all worried about that. What I'm worried about is our defense being able to get off the field on third downs because UCF's third down defense was horrible all year.

The 9+ win part.

With better coaching we could've won 7 this year. And if we'd have had those wins and some confidence maybe the Minnesota game would've been different for a possible 8th win.

I'd say 6-8 wins next year.

Would have had 10+ if Eichorst didn't get canned so early.

I have to believe we have as much talent on our defense as UCF. Transition will take some time but I think we have enough talent to be very competitive once our players learn the new offense and defense.

I would think you have the DL size. But what about your secondary? Are they fast? Scott had the talent at UCF they just weren't being utilized properly. If you have the talent Frost and his staff will find a way to put the pieces together to get the most out of them. 4-3, 3-4..whatever it takes. If the players buy into his system things should turn around pretty quickly. I would think his first year 7 to 8 wins. Anything over that would be gravy. We thought it would take 3 years to compete for the conference championship. He won it in 2. A very pleasant surprise.

Reactions: headcard
I would think you have the DL size. But what about your secondary? Are they fast? Scott had the talent at UCF they just weren't being utilized properly. If you have the talent Frost and his staff will find a way to put the pieces together to get the most out of them. 4-3, 3-4..whatever it takes. If the players buy into his system things should turn around pretty quickly. I would think his first year 7 to 8 wins. Anything over that would be gravy. We thought it would take 3 years to compete for the conference championship. He won it in 2. A very pleasant surprise.

He won a National Title in 2!

Not all 4 an 5 star recruits pan out. Some peak in high school and never get much better while some 2 and 3 star recruits develop in college and go onto play in the NFL. Lots of 2 and 3 star recruits are in the NFL. Lots of 4 and 5 star recruits are busts! FSU had a 5 star QB and Mr Football in Florida and he could never put it together at the college level.

IM THE HAPPIEST I have been WITH THE STATE OF HUSKER FOOTBALL SINCE 1997

GBR :)

I have a theory...

UCF went from 0-12 to winning 6 games in year one.

Nebraska can improve 6 games in Frost's first year, so I'm starting to feel a 10 win season coming on!
No sure if this is 100% serious or not? If so where do you see those 10 wins coming from?

I can see these being the easiest W to get :
Akron -W
Colorado- W
Troy-W
Illinois- W

Where do the other 6 come from? Maybe 2-3 from,

Purdue ?
Minn?
Iowa ?
Northwestern?
Lets say best case we beat all 4

To get to 10 we would have to beat 2 of these,

Michigan
Wisc
Ohio St
Mich St
3 of these 4 are away games

10 wins is very unrealistic and if people are already expecting that, they are setting up themselves for disappointment. Not giving Frost a fair shot.

5-7 wins this year should be considered a success. My personally opinion is:
6-6. We win the top 4 listed, and get 2 of the 4 middle, lose all of the bottom 4.

Reactions: davecisar
Not all 4 an 5 star recruits pan out. Some peak in high school and never get much better while some 2 and 3 star recruits develop in college and go onto play in the NFL. Lots of 2 and 3 star recruits are in the NFL. Lots of 4 and 5 star recruits are busts! FSU had a 5 star QB and Mr Football in Florida and he could never put it together at the college level.

There is more to this
Note that in places like Georgia, Texas and Florida you have kids who go to Spring Football practices. They have a designated for credit football class and dedicated year round weight training. Often times their entire coaching staffs have a paid planning hour together during the day.

Many of the football coaches only coach football and maybe teach their football class or one other. Many of them make over 100K
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-football/article171482762.html

These are big time football programs with often times great coaches.
Some of these kids come in pretty well developed
Their ability to improve is going to be MUCH less than some kid from Nebraska, Iowa or New Jersey.

Great when you need immediate help
Over time- some of them get caught up on
See Wisconsin
BUT Im not one of those who think we can win without good recruiting- we need both recruiting and development.

The great coaches can see the potential- Hopefully we have guys like that now.

No sure if this is 100% serious or not? If so where do you see those 10 wins coming from?

Akron -W
Colorado- W
Troy-W
Illinois- W

Purdue ?
Minn?
Iowa ?
Northwestern?

Michigan
Wisc
Ohio St
Mich St

10 wins is very unrealistic and if people are already expecting that, they are setting up themselves for disappointment. Not giving Frost a fair shot.

6-6. We win the top 4 listed, and get 2 of the 4 middle, lose all of the bottom 4.
Im with you
6-7 regular season wins
Hopefully a descent bowl matchup and end up 7-6 or 8-5

Akron -W
Colorado- W
Troy-W
Illinois- W

Purdue ?
Minn?
Iowa ?
Northwestern?

Michigan
Wisc
Ohio St
Mich St

Nope, I wasnt 100% serious in that post.

At the same time, if Frost and his staff can install most of their scheme (They just experienced installing their schemes 2 years ago, so maybe they know what worked then and what didn't work and can do it with great efficiency this time around...) and play well, I see no reason not to expect good things for 2018.

DC Chinander runs a type of 3-4 defense, which the players just learned a crappy 3-4 defense, so maybe this time around things will already be somewhat familiar (besides terminology) and Chins can install his defense and get it working well by the first game to where the players actually understand most of it and can play somewhat fast.

Where do I see the "very unrealistic" 10 wins? (I agree it is unrealistic, but I do think there is a chance we could get to 10 if you include the bowl game!)

I think we have better than a 60% chance to win these games:
Sept. 1 Akron - 1W
Sept. 8 Colorado - 2W
Sept. 15 Troy - 3W
Sept. 29 Purdue - 4W
Oct. 13 at Northwestern - 5W
Oct. 20 Minnesota - 6W
Nov. 10 Illinois - 7W
Dec. Bowl Game - 8W

Now I think we have a 30-50% chance to win these games:
Sept. 22 at Michigan
Nov. 17 Michigan State
Nov. 23 at Iowa

I feel better about the November games because they are later in the year and we should understand Frost's and Chins' schemes a little better (although the first year at UCF, they didn't do so hot at the end of the year, losing 4 of their last 6 games).

I think we have less than a 20% chance to win these games:
Oct. 6 at Wisconsin - L
Nov. 3 at Ohio State - L

Although we usually play Wisconsin close, maybe we could pull off a win, but they looked damn good in their bowl game so right now I think we lose this game. Maybe with their losses of SRs on their defense we stand a chance because our offense might be able to actually score points.

Now don't get me wrong here. I fully understand that these statements are really stretching towards the very high expectations level or beyond and that I am more than likely going to be disappointed if this is what I truly believe.

I think this 4-8 team has talent returning in 2018. These kids are good, but I believe most of the issues were caused by the defense, or lack there of. Yes our pick-6 QB caused issues, but if the D plays better, we probably win at least 2 more games and going from 6 wins to 10 wins isn't as outlandish as it sounds going from 4 wins to 10.

9 or 10 wins next year, really?

I'm a homer as bad as anyone else, but come on.

The hardest change ANY organization faces is a change in culture.

Read what any manager or CEO that transformed the performance of an organization says and almost to a man they say that the hardest part about it is changing the CULTURE. Not the blocking and tackling or efficiencies.

And that doesn't change overnight. We're at the tip of the iceberg.

Even though the offense is going to be completely revamped, and the defense somewhat overhauled, the X's and O's part of the change is gong to be the easy part for this staff.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Pelini left about the "toxic" culture of our program. And how it was gong to take time to "clean it up".

I'll submit, from a "culture" standpoint, that SF and the staff have a much, much, larger task ahead of them in righting the ship than did Riley and his staff. I don't think it's even close. Say what you want about Bo, the players were generally used to winning games and competing. They expected to win games, were generally amped to play good competition on the big stage, and many of our problems stemmed from that fact.

That is not the case any more.

This board has pointed out over and over, that we didn't just lose games last year, we flat out didn't compete. At all. In a large number of them. That's not been a hallmark of this program for more than 50 years, but is part of the current culture and it only took a couple years to get there.

It has been pointed out by people that were there that we did not hold effective practices for much of the season. That's part of the current culture.

Some players were not physically up to competing in the BIG. That's part of the current culture.

Some of the team was not mentally ready to compete in the BIG. That's part of the current culture.

Players were not held accountable for the above by coaches and/or upper classmen. That's part of the current culture.

How about the fans? We're not particularly accustomed to supporting things like an honest to god QB competition like actual adults (evidence: fan behavior during Crouch vs. Newcombe, the only QB competition we have had in decades) There is a 100% chance this team is going to get punched squarely in the mouth at some point next season. How's the fanbase going to react to the reality that building takes time?

Will all of the above change? Yes. I think we have the perfect staff in place to make that happen and alignment across the board.

Is it going to change in a few months' time? No way. Not everyone buys in. We're not done seeing the transfers yet.

If we make a bowl game next season, it'll be a big step getting back to where we're heading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nebyank
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT