ADVERTISEMENT

....and in other news, the Lakers won the NBA title

Free agency pretty much ruined all professional sports for me. It's why I prefer collegiate sports, but that's changing too. I think it's great for the players, but for the fans you just never know who you're rooting for. It's constantly shifting, it's impossible to build loyalty or a connection to the players and rivalries last a minute.
We really are rooting for laundry more than anything else

Wish all pro sports were that way. Too much player movement, driven by salary caps. Trades are for salary cap structuring, not pure talent. I miss the days of seeing trades happen where it was player for player, equivalent talent levels, etc. and not just which team comes away with a better salary cap picture.

For sure. It's kind of like our tax code. Just close all loopholes. LOL

Funny. I saw clip of NBA commish talking about how next year all the BLM bullshit will be off the court and jerseys. Hmmm. I wonder why?? Lol ..I said that months ago. Their phony outrage will take a backseat to their cash and audiences. So pathetic. LeBron is king douche.
The reason they won’t need them is that they accomplished the goal of getting black players quotas to be fairly represented to their percentage of US population. It was about time they got those white, Asian and Latino player pushed back from dominating all the playing time.

Now if they can just get the black man fairly represented in football playing time...

It kinda sucks that you can manufacture titles in the NBA. When I used to watch in the 80s and 90s, the great players were members of their team for a long time. They didn't jump around. Magic, Jabbar, and Worthy were all Lakers. Bird, McHale and Parish for the Celts and Jordan and Pippen for the Bulls.
I seriously didn't even know Jimmy Butler played for the Heat until game 5 of the finals.

We have a Lebron apologist on our hands...
He can’t win $hit by himself.
Neither can anyone else. Besides, there's nothing to apologize about. He's been the NBA's best player for over a decade and still is at 36 years old.

It's funny and ironic because you literally cannot even play basketball anywhere in the state of California right now.

Lebron “Don’t even think about calling a foul on me” James, surrounds himself with all-star players to get the title. You are NO Michael Jordan, Lebron.

Hate defending Lebron but Jordan played on some of the greatest teams of all time and played almost his entire career under one coach - who also happens to probably be the best coach of all time.

It also says a lot when Jordan could leave the team for an entire season (somewhat unexpectedly) and the team lost just 2 extra games than the previous year with him on it and still made the semifinals, Every team Lebron has left immediately became one of if not the worst team in the league.

Jordan is the best player of all time. But he had a LOT of help.

Reactions: tone1017
You can go a little above the cap and pay luxury tax but you can’t just keep adding guys like baseball. That HOF thing is just inaccurate. What HOF guys has he played with in their prime? Just Dewayne Wade and Anthony Davis? Don’t say Kyrie and Kevin love because they aren’t going into the hall of fame. Are you going to come back with Shaq again? Jordan had two HOF guys with him too. Every dynasty has had multiple HOF guys but when lebron has good players with him it isn’t fair?

He left 3x and he will leave again before he retires....I don't see how people think that is as impressive as staying in Chicago who at the time had 0 NBA titles and then winning 6. Jordan played with Pippen and a bunch of role players who couldn't score.

Wade
Bosh
Allen
Davis
Love
Irving ...that alone is a lifetime of teammates for other great stars. Didn't include Shaq, Rondo, Howard etc.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
He left 3x and he will leave again before he retires....I don't see how people think that is as impressive as staying in Chicago who at the time had 0 NBA titles and then winning 6. Jordan played with Pippen and a bunch of role players who couldn't score.

Wade
Bosh
Allen
Davis
Love
Irving ...that alone is a lifetime of teammates for other great stars. Didn't include Shaq, Rondo, Howard etc.
Of that list, Wade and Davis are the only ones who may be on the Top 50 all time list. Every other star who has won championships played with other top 50 all time players. They never did it completely by themselves.

Of that list, Wade and Davis are the only ones who may be on the Top 50 all time list. Every other star who has won championships played with other top 50 all time players. They never did it completely by themselves.
Yep. Bosh is eligible for the HOF, but not in it. Kyrie couldn't/can't stay healthy and is a bit of a mess. Kevin Love is pretty much Toni Kokuc level.. not a HOF guy.

Hockey viewership for their finals was down 61%. Was that because of blm as well?

LOL, I guess the NBA isn't as blind as you.

BTW, Hockey has been going in the wrong direction for quite a while. But you would know that if you were a sports fan.

Here’s the thing though: He’s right. Hockey is not a Big Four sport in this country anymore. It used to be. Hockey peaked in 1994 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. It was a great Cup Final. It had a big market team ending a curse. It was a fast paced series. It had everything.
The on-ice product led to ESPN shifting them to ESPN2 due to lack of ratings. Then the glow puck fiasco happened. More and more clutch and grab led to more goons on the ice instead of players with actual talent. Speed and skill went to the wayside for fighting and cheap shots. The NHL lost significant revenue, and increasing player costs created an imbalance.
Then came the lost season. Then came leaving ESPN for the Outdoor Life Network, which eventually became Versus, then finally settled on NBC Sports. What a ride that was.
In conclusion, Hockey owners have destroyed their product, just like owners in the Big Three are trying to do.

LOL, I guess the NBA isn't as blind as you.

BTW, Hockey has been going in the wrong direction for quite a while. But you would know that if you were a sports fan.

Here’s the thing though: He’s right. Hockey is not a Big Four sport in this country anymore. It used to be. Hockey peaked in 1994 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. It was a great Cup Final. It had a big market team ending a curse. It was a fast paced series. It had everything.
The on-ice product led to ESPN shifting them to ESPN2 due to lack of ratings. Then the glow puck fiasco happened. More and more clutch and grab led to more goons on the ice instead of players with actual talent. Speed and skill went to the wayside for fighting and cheap shots. The NHL lost significant revenue, and increasing player costs created an imbalance.
Then came the lost season. Then came leaving ESPN for the Outdoor Life Network, which eventually became Versus, then finally settled on NBC Sports. What a ride that was.
In conclusion, Hockey owners have destroyed their product, just like owners in the Big Three are trying to do.
Hockey is a great sport. Probably my favorite to watch besides football.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Hockey viewership for their finals was down 61%. Was that because of blm as well?

NFL was smart and distanced themselves from BLM.. ratings aren’t suffering anywhere near NBA levels. Lebron has done some damage that will take years to recover.

Lot of top 100 players...Pau Gasol top 50?? Kobe won two titles with him

NFL was smart and distanced themselves from BLM.. ratings aren’t suffering anywhere near NBA levels. Lebron has done some damage that will take years to recover.
Sports ratings are down by a lot across all sports. This is a combination of every sport being played at the same time, lack of sports bars viewings, and cord cutting/piracy. This is every sport, including NFL. Most anyone who says they didn't watch a certain game because of politics probably wasn't watching it to begin with. And for the few people who actually are a fan of a sport, but choose not to watch entirely because of some words on the back of a jersey... Well they're kinda bitches.

Sports ratings are down by a lot across all sports. This is a combination of every sport being played at the same time, lack of sports bars viewings, and cord cutting/piracy. This is every sport, including NFL. Most anyone who says they didn't watch a certain game because of politics probably wasn't watching it to begin with. And for the few people who actually are a fan of a sport, but choose not to watch entirely because of some words on the back of a jersey... Well they're kinda bitches.

NBA was down about 70%. NFL is around 10%? Politics is a huge factor.

NBA was down about 70%. NFL is around 10%? Politics is a huge factor.
Yes and it also had to directly compete with nfl or college football depending on the day, which it obviously didn't have to do previously. Not to mention it was a thoroughly interesting matchup. Everyone knew Lakers were going to win.

You are ignoring a big factor ... casual fans! I am a casual NBA fan that enjoys the playoffs. I chose not to watch this year due to SJWs being bigger than the game:

I’m also a casual baseball fan and guess what.. I’m watching Braves vs Dodgers right now. No BLM SJW crap being shoved down my throat.

Keep making excuses ... take another line because you must be high as a kite if you believe that is why NBA ratings are down as much as they are
Yes I'm sure politics played a small part. And to those people for whom it did, I guess I'm sorry that some words on the back of a jersey that you could only see during close-ups triggered them so much that they couldn't watch something they otherwise enjoy.

Yep, people are tired of 2 national anthems. Hardwood and end zone virtue signaling. Did you ever answer why the NBA announced they are cancelling their idiocy next season?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Ok? I'm sure they're cancelling it exactly for those reasons, to get back the tiny viewership they lost and to avoid it being a tiny focus every night. That doesn't change the fact that there's a whole lot of reasons viewership is down, and some minor politics that is barely even noticeable isn't the main one.

You guys are way too obsessed with the idea that blm and wokeness is the reason, while completely ignoring every thing that points to the contrary. Football is a juggernaut that nba/hockey hasn't ever had to deal with, and both sports have experienced a massive hit

Oh and guess what? Baseball ratings are down as well.

Last edited:
Ok? I'm sure they're cancelling it exactly for those reasons, to get back the tiny viewership they lost and to avoid it being a tiny focus every night. That doesn't change the fact that there's a whole lot of reasons viewership is down, and some minor politics that is barely even noticeable isn't the main one.

You guys are way too obsessed with the idea that blm and wokeness is the reason, while completely ignoring every thing that points to the contrary. Football is a juggernaut that nba/hockey hasn't ever had to deal with, and both sports have experienced a massive hit

You do realize majority of the finals weren’t competing with the NFL right? As in NFL isn’t played on Friday nights... or is high school football to blame for a 70% viewership decline?

Time for another bump...

Baseball ratings decline isn’t in the same zip code as NBA decline. Get woke go broke.

For sure. It's kind of like our tax code. Just close all loopholes. LOL
Free agency pretty much ruined all professional sports for me. It's why I prefer collegiate sports, but that's changing too. I think it's great for the players, but for the fans you just never know who you're rooting for. It's constantly shifting, it's impossible to build loyalty or a connection to the players and rivalries last a minute.

The hypocrisy is the fact everybody on this board would agree that a talented salemens should jump ship if a company wasn't run well, or if they could get a better team to work with, or get a better salary because their current company is muting compensation to save on payroll. Everybody would agree that the basis of capitalism is that talent must have freedom of choice and compensation that matches their worth. Yet...when it comes to an inner city kid who everyone thinks just woke up an NBA legend, we say he should just stay "loyal" to some owner, an awful person by the way, should be loyal to fans who become violent if a player leaves for free agency, and should just act like the laborer they are...the owners in the nba are so inept, and it is such a good ole' boys club that they had to shove through a salary cap and revenue sharing so they could make money. They are so inept they couldn't invest into facilities, marketing, advertising, scouting, and drafting well enough to be able to turn a profit without forcing the successful markets to share their wealth. Lebron James brought a billion dollars to the city of cleveland on his return...literally. Yet he wasn't even the highest paid player on the team for 3 years...even the year they won the title.

The hypocrisy is the fact everybody on this board would agree that a talented salemens should jump ship if a company wasn't run well, or if they could get a better team to work with, or get a better salary because their current company is muting compensation to save on payroll. Everybody would agree that the basis of capitalism is that talent must have freedom of choice and compensation that matches their worth. Yet...when it comes to an inner city kid who everyone thinks just woke up an NBA legend, we say he should just stay "loyal" to some owner, an awful person by the way, should be loyal to fans who become violent if a player leaves for free agency, and should just act like the laborer they are...the owners in the nba are so inept, and it is such a good ole' boys club that they had to shove through a salary cap and revenue sharing so they could make money. They are so inept they couldn't invest into facilities, marketing, advertising, scouting, and drafting well enough to be able to turn a profit without forcing the successful markets to share their wealth. Lebron James brought a billion dollars to the city of cleveland on his return...literally. Yet he wasn't even the highest paid player on the team for 3 years...even the year they won the title.
Like I said, I think it's great for the players. I'll always remember Marcus Allen sitting on the bench in LA just because Al Davis was a jerk. It also helps teams assemble the right collection of players to fit their scheme. I'm not being hypocritical, I'm just telling it from my perspective, as a spectator. Sports aren't easily compared to other businesses. We don't root for FedEx. We have no idea when they experience significant turnover. I get why players move, and more power to them. As a spectator, however, it makes it hard to feel connected to the team in the same way. Your favorite player could be your biggest enemy from one year to the next. Of course, I still appreciate the level of athleticism, but we don't see teams gel in quite the same way because they're constantly shifting. especially in the NBA and the advent of super teams. They aren't so much teams as they are collections of all stars.

Wow, nailed it!

For all the people talking about NBA ratings down, show me the previous stats when CFB, NFL, MLB games we’re on as the same time as the NBA playoffs.

Ooof you can’t. You know when COVID started in March and everybody was feeling sports deprived. That was NBA and hockey season with some golfs and March Madness sprinkled in. So I would say there is a NBA market that missed their window.

If we learned anything, the NFL is king and no one else is close.

Politics played a huge part, because most people are tired of BLM and don't want to see that splattered across the court in gigantic font. But you know what we didn't do? Go out and riot and loot and burn down our cities and assault cops over it, we just chose to turn the channel, like civilized people. So to say we were trigged is just plain false, we could not have reacted in a more calm demeanor.
Your use of "us" and "them" is fairly inaccurate. By far most BLM folks didn't loot and riot. Most went out and began peaceful protests. In some cases the police initiated attacks on people who were otherwise peacefully protesting, which is a right in this country. And yes, of course there were also riots, but you ignore completely the fact that far right wing militia also showed up to those protests and all hell broke loose. Don't you include them in your group of "we"? After all, the language they use to describe BLM, their praise of Trump and stated policies sound an awful lot like the "we" you describe.

Let me say for the record that looting and rioting is terrible, but it happens all over the world when citizens feel powerless, or they perceive a break in the social contract. You can't reason with it, you can't excuse it, but it does happen, and the best a nation can do it try to understand WTF is going on and address the issues. At the end of the day, the unrest will continue until there is a dialogue.

It's not just that conservatives want all stick, it's that they only want it for the people they disagree with, not a peep about tiki torch marches by white nationalists. Nothing of plots to kidnap and murder Democratic governors. There is zero effort to strike a balance or deescalate the situation. And the right doesn't have a platform, other than law and order. If you are a student of history you would know that law and order has always been the mantra of those in power. But never in modern history has that message resonated with a majority of the public, at least not when the issues involve social inequities. You can deny, ignore, deflect, obscure all day long, but it won't change these things, in fact, it'll probably make them worse.

Bottom line, your argument that "we" were peaceful is not accurate. Your politics have been anything but peaceful. The founders of BLM have aligned themselves with a Marxist platform, but the many tens of millions of people who support the BLM message are not Marxist. They aren't following an ideology, they're following a social movement to address persistent racial injustices. Again, you can spit Marxist insults all day long, it doesn't make them true. The parallel between the present and the Civil Rights movement is quite stunning. Most of the right wingers on this board, I have no doubt, would have shouted at the top of their lungs that MLK was a socialist, or argued that marching in the street is not the proper way to be heard. All of this appears to be lost on the right. We are in a midst of a culture war. It's sad to see.

Reactions: ATLsker
Your use of "us" and "them" is fairly inaccurate. By far most BLM folks didn't loot and riot. Most went out and began peaceful protests. In some cases the police initiated attacks on people who were otherwise peacefully protesting, which is a right in this country. And yes, of course there were also riots, but you ignore completely the fact that far right wing militia also showed up to those protests and all hell broke loose. Don't you include them in your group of "we"? After all, the language they use to describe BLM, their praise of Trump and stated policies sound an awful lot like the "we" you describe.

Let me say for the record that looting and rioting is terrible, but it happens all over the world when citizens feel powerless, or they perceive a break in the social contract. You can't reason with it, you can't excuse it, but it does happen, and the best a nation can do it try to understand WTF is going on and address the issues. At the end of the day, the unrest will continue until there is a dialogue.

It's not just that conservatives want all stick, it's that they only want it for the people they disagree with, not a peep about tiki torch marches by white nationalists. Nothing of plots to kidnap and murder Democratic governors. There is zero effort to strike a balance or deescalate the situation. And the right doesn't have a platform, other than law and order. If you are a student of history you would know that law and order has always been the mantra of those in power. But never in modern history has that message resonated with a majority of the public, at least not when the issues involve social inequities. You can deny, ignore, deflect, obscure all day long, but it won't change these things, in fact, it'll probably make them worse.

Bottom line, your argument that "we" were peaceful is not accurate. Your politics have been anything but peaceful. The founders of BLM have aligned themselves with a Marxist platform, but the many tens of millions of people who support the BLM message are not Marxist. They aren't following an ideology, they're following a social movement to address persistent racial injustices. Again, you can spit Marxist insults all day long, it doesn't make them true. The parallel between the present and the Civil Rights movement is quite stunning. Most of the right wingers on this board, I have no doubt, would have shouted at the top of their lungs that MLK was a socialist, or argued that marching in the street is not the proper way to be heard. All of this appears to be lost on the right. We are in a midst of a culture war. It's sad to see.

Your side is violent. Period. If your side doesn't get it's way they riot loot and burn and assault and kill. Period. Don't like it? Tell your side to stop doing it.

Your side is violent. Period. If your side doesn't get it's way they riot loot and burn and assault and kill. Period. Don't like it? Tell your side to stop doing it.
Your side is equally if not more violent, both presently and historically. More of the documented cases of violence have come from right wing extremists. The more that continues, the more the left will gain strength. The left's message is one of inclusion and equality. The right's is law and order and preserving white dominance in a nation that is vastly more diverse than the one you live in. This moment will be remembered for generations, and your side is losing. I'm confident it will be recorded as such.

I quit watching the NBA on TV about 30 years ago when it stopped being basketball. Now its WWE where they just market the top players. The officiating is just awful. The games are too long so the players don't try. I've been to a few games over the years on trips but its a lot of players standing around. NHL games are just ok to watch on TV but awesome in person and those players play balls out the full time.

I would say the BLM crap affected my watching but I'd already given up on it long ago.

I quit watching the NBA on TV about 30 years ago when it stopped being basketball. Now its WWE where they just market the top players. The officiating is just awful. The games are too long so the players don't try. I've been to a few games over the years on trips but its a lot of players standing around. NHL games are just ok to watch on TV but awesome in person and those players play balls out the full time.

I would say the BLM crap affected my watching but I'd already given up on it long ago.
The Jordan Era wasn’t basketball? Note that ended 23 years ago. Games are still the same standard 48 minutes. In fact, the shot clock only resets to 14 instead of 24 seconds on an offensive rebound and you have 8 seconds to get the ball past half court. Pace of play has been speed up substantially, which might have led to more iso-ball than what you care for.

The Jordan Era wasn’t basketball? Note that ended 23 years ago. Games are still the same standard 48 minutes. In fact, the shot clock only resets to 14 instead of 24 seconds on an offensive rebound and you have 8 seconds to get the ball past half court. Pace of play has been speed up substantially, which might have led to more iso-ball than what you care for.
Back in my day the players sucked and by golly we liked it!

Reactions: huskerfan830
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT