ADVERTISEMENT

No Spring Game for Minnesota?

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
This seems odd. But if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, did it really fall?

I get it, I mean these things SHOULD be about excitement and fun and fans. But I think last year they did theirs inside in some practice bubble?

But if no one is showing up watch, it is almost embarrassing to have one.

There are probably about 15-20 schools that can actually have a "real" spring game

I get it, I mean these things SHOULD be about excitement and fun and fans. But I think last year they did theirs inside in some practice bubble?

But if no one is showing up watch, it is almost embarrassing to have one.

There are probably about 15-20 schools that can actually have a "real" spring game
I'd say it's more embarrassing for a school that size to skip a spring game altogether. Lol......really weak!

So have to wonder if PJ feels opening game vs UNC will be key? Drop that one and they are likely 2-4 after first 6 games which likely tanks the home attendance the rest of the year. Empty seats not a good look halfway through the season.

So have to wonder if PJ feels opening game vs UNC will be key? Drop that one and they are likely 2-4 after first 6 games which likely tanks the home attendance the rest of the year. Empty seats not a good look halfway through the season.
I mean, they are horrible and lived off PJ trying to murder that one RB each Saturday.

They recruit horribly and they will never get great transfers...

Reactions: NebChicago
Even during the better seasons, there are always seats available. Home attendance will tank long before 2-4.

Is Bo the coach at Minnesota now? I swear he would have been happy having our Spring Game, untelevised, somewhere along the Wyoming border.

Reactions: Ki11ersker45
I'd almost be surprised if we have a true "game" this spring. With our limited depth and qb and running back, it seems unnecessary to risk injury

Here's a honest statement that will get me nailed to a cross - I think Nebraska fandom's never ending fascination with the spring game is dumb. It's a practice, it almost never correlates to anything that happens in the fall and I've got better things to do on a Saturday in April. It's great for Lincoln's economy but other than that, it's way overblown to the point of being embarrassing that we make such a big deal about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pascal
Here's a honest statement from that will get me nailed to a cross - I think Nebraska fandom's never ending fascination with the spring game is dumb. It's a practice, it almost never correlates to anything that happens in the fall and I've got better things to do on a Saturday in April. It's great for Lincoln's economy but other than that, it's way overblown to the point of being embarrassing that we make such a big deal about it.
fun hater

Here's a honest statement from that will get me nailed to a cross - I think Nebraska fandom's never ending fascination with the spring game is dumb. It's a practice, it almost never correlates to anything that happens in the fall and I've got better things to do on a Saturday in April. It's great for Lincoln's economy but other than that, it's way overblown to the point of being embarrassing that we make such a big deal about it.
I get what you are saying but for most of us it is just about having fun, hitting up lincoln, having some beers.

To each his own..
Remember in the 70’s, 80, and 90’s they hardly were a glorified practice. Spring game was actually a real game with the 1 and 4th string against the 2 and 3 string with actual punting and kickoff returns and the real playing 60 minutes..

Reactions: mgbreis
Never understood this point of view. You are correct. It's not an actual game. But it is an event. Happens only one time of year. I don't care about going. But a lot of people can take young families there relatively cheap and get a feel for a game day atmosphere that may not have that option in the fall. Also I think a lot of people take advantage of it as an event coming out of winter. Gets them out and socialize, eat drink and just enjoy the day.

Never understood this point of view. You are correct. It's not an actual game. But it is an event. Happens only one time of year. I don't care about going. But a lot of people can take young families there relatively cheap and get a feel for a game day atmosphere that may not have that option in the fall. Also I think a lot of people take advantage of it as an event coming out of winter. Gets them out and socialize, eat drink and just enjoy the day.
Okay, you convinced me it's all in good fun. Let's just agree then that it's NOT embarrassing for a school like Minny to not have one. We know Nebraska fans are somewhat unique, but it sure doesn't correlate to winning anything.

Okay, you convinced me it's all in good fun. Let's just agree then that it's NOT embarrassing for a school like Minny to not have one. We know Nebraska fans are somewhat unique, but it sure doesn't correlate to winning anything.
It is embarrassing when you tried to have it and no one showed up so you get rid of it.

Plus, **** minny.

The nastiest hit I ever say was Grant Wistrom uppercutting Tommie Frazier in a spring game. Those were actually competitive and hard fought.
I never liked the compromised scrimmages with weird clock rules and players changing sides in the middle of the game, or the hands off the qb rules.
I think its a real opportunity for your players to step up the intensity and get a real feel for a game.

No. That usually starts Mothers Day weekend. Pretty much the earliest ice out ever though, so everyone could be putting docks and boats in. Such weak fan support.
Boats are already in as there is “ice out” already on several of the lakes in MN.

Boats are already in as there is “ice out” already on several of the lakes in MN.
My son moved to St. Cloud for college in January and we sent him up there outfitted for an arctic expedition. He sent all of it home a month ago and doesn't even have a coat, just hoodies. They're starting to roll out the applications for business disaster payments based on lack of snow and ice this winter.

My son moved to St. Cloud for college in January and we sent him up there outfitted for an arctic expedition. He sent all of it home a month ago and doesn't even have a coat, just hoodies. They're starting to roll out the applications for business disaster payments based on lack of snow and ice this winter.
It’s true. Lots of resorts lost out on the “ice fishing” money they count on every year.

• Sad
Reactions: mgbreis
Most people need a dock in before the boat goes in. I haven't heard of any docks going in yet. Have you? That would be wild to have docks in the 2nd week in March.

I just ease the boat into shore and the person that backed the boat into the water jumps on board. We do it every spring.
A lot of lakes in MN have very gradual sloping shorelines. Anything bigger than a 16ft Lund and you'll scrape to a halt before you ever get to shore.

Reactions: AdaminLincoln
If only some business would just keep buying our extra tickets so we could brag about how many consecutive sellouts we're having though....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT