ADVERTISEMENT

Only 3 Active College Football Coaches Have Won a National Title

phoenix4nu

Offensive Coordinator
May 10, 2009
With the retirement of Nick Saban, the firing of Jimbo Fisher and the move by Harbaugh to the NFL, there are now only three active NCAA head coaches who have won a national title.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I anticipate a revival for Swinney and continuation of championship appearances from Smart; sprinkle in Ryan Day now with the “sayonara” of Harbaugh to the NFL.

Gene Chizik narrowly missed the list as well.

Kirby Smart is the only one on there that will ever win another. Swinney had a lucky run of legendary QB play

I anticipate a revival for Swinney and continuation of championship appearances from Smart; sprinkle in Ryan Day now with the “sayonara” of Harbaugh to the NFL.
Day and Sarkisian would be my selections for most likely to join the list. Brian Kelly would be up there too.

Reactions: Ki11ersker45
swinney only 54 y/o. he could do it again if finds another qb. he is surrounded by talent
nah won't happen.

Clemson's success was predicated on a combination of heisman-level QB play and coordinator retention that is almost unprecedented. They had a total of 5 losses over the 5 year stretch where they had Watson & Lawrence at QB, and Scott/Elliott/Venables as coordinators.

Since the advent of NIL, expansion of the transfer portal, and losing those coordinators, they've had double the losses and their recruiting classes have been steadily declining.

Saban/Meyer/Smart were successful long term because they could adapt, Swinney cannot. Does that mean they'll be terrible? Absolutely not, but they'll likely top out at Penn State/Notre Dame levels of success.

Reactions: Huskers123456
He doesn’t like it but doesn’t mean he doesn’t allow it. dj uiagalelei was one of the first ones I remember being on a national commercial
... who went on to transfer not once but twice as his NIL value doubled. bad example

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT