ADVERTISEMENT

....and in other news, the Lakers won the NBA title

Isn't that true about all sports???
in a way but seems like it is really pronounced in the NBA. Probably due to the small team sizes.

I was thinking about what would happen if Saban agreed to coach at Kansas and whether he could brute force wins at a destitute place like KU.

Isn't that true about all sports???
Not really for sports with salary caps. The Chiefs didn't buy Patrick Mahomes. They scouted him and drafted him. The warriors didn't buy their titles, they drafted Curry, Thompson, Green. The Lakers didn't buy Anthony Davis... they traded a ton of players for him. In the NBA, there are set limits on what you can pay players and there is a salary cap. You can't just offer to pay guys more than other teams.

Not really for sports with salary caps. The Chiefs didn't buy Patrick Mahomes. They scouted him and drafted him. The warriors didn't buy their titles, they drafted Curry, Thompson, Green. The Lakers didn't buy Anthony Davis... they traded a ton of players for him. In the NBA, there are set limits on what you can pay players and there is a salary cap. You can't just offer to pay guys more than other teams.
Honestly who cares? Drafting is way overrated. The Celtics have drafted perfectly for the last decade and what does that get them? Bounced out of the ECF year after year. The Lakers drafted pretty well before Lebron and AD got there and all they got from it was last place in the West. Honestly the draft is boring to me whether it's the NBA or NFL. It's much more exciting when teams take risks and make good trades and sign good pieces out of free agency.

In the NFL, players are bought all the time and guys shift in and out of teams. Although Brady was drafted by the Patriots, several key pieces on their championship teams were either signed through free agency or traded for.

Honestly who cares? Drafting is way overrated. The Celtics have drafted perfectly for the last decade and what does that get them? Bounced out of the ECF year after year. The Lakers drafted pretty well before Lebron and AD got there and all they got from it was last place in the West. Honestly the draft is boring to me whether it's the NBA or NFL. It's much more exciting when teams take risks and make good trades and sign good pieces out of free agency.

In the NFL, players are bought all the time and guys shift in and out of teams. Although Brady was drafted by the Patriots, several key pieces on their championship teams were either signed through free agency or traded for.
I'm saying that teams cannot just decide to spend money and "buy a championship." There is a salary cap and in the NBA, a max limit on individual players. I agree it is exciting when teams take risks and make trades and sign pieces out of free agency. But it is not like "spend more money" is something you can do for a championship. Every dollar you spend on one position, you cannot spend on another position.

The Celtics drafted Tatum and Brown and those are their two best players. They have swung and missed with their big free agent signings in Gordon Heyward and Kemba Walker. Plenty of teams would love to get "bounced in the ECF." The Lakers actually drafted pretty poorly, having three 2nd overall picks and only getting one decent player in Brandon Ingram.

New England signs guys, sure, but they aren't a "sign the top free agents" type of team. They are very much a draft and develop type of team. They let their guys walk in free agency and get compensatory picks.

It kinda sucks that you can manufacture titles in the NBA. When I used to watch in the 80s and 90s, the great players were members of their team for a long time. They didn't jump around. Magic, Jabbar, and Worthy were all Lakers. Bird, McHale and Parish for the Celts and Jordan and Pippen for the Bulls.

It kinda sucks that you can manufacture titles in the NBA. When I used to watch in the 80s and 90s, the great players were members of their team for a long time. They didn't jump around. Magic, Jabbar, and Worthy were all Lakers. Bird, McHale and Parish for the Celts and Jordan and Pippen for the Bulls.

Yep..Signing with the other best players to win championships is lame to me.

I'm saying that teams cannot just decide to spend money and "buy a championship." There is a salary cap and in the NBA, a max limit on individual players. I agree it is exciting when teams take risks and make trades and sign pieces out of free agency. But it is not like "spend more money" is something you can do for a championship. Every dollar you spend on one position, you cannot spend on another position.

The Celtics drafted Tatum and Brown and those are their two best players. They have swung and missed with their big free agent signings in Gordon Heyward and Kemba Walker. Plenty of teams would love to get "bounced in the ECF." The Lakers actually drafted pretty poorly, having three 2nd overall picks and only getting one decent player in Brandon Ingram.

New England signs guys, sure, but they aren't a "sign the top free agents" type of team. They are very much a draft and develop type of team. They let their guys walk in free agency and get compensatory picks.

Have you never heard of luxury tax? Lebron has played with more HOF than anyone in NBA history.

I miss those days. Don't even watch NBA any more.

When I flipped to the local channel airing the finals and saw what was on the back of the jerseys, I knew I was not going to spend 1 second of my time watching! One jersey said: Say Their Names. Give me a break! That’s the line the thugs used when bracing diners at restaurants. And the league allowed this crap! Going, going gone!

Wish all pro sports were that way. Too much player movement, driven by salary caps. Trades are for salary cap structuring, not pure talent. I miss the days of seeing trades happen where it was player for player, equivalent talent levels, etc. and not just which team comes away with a better salary cap picture.

I don't really have strong opinions about Lebron one way or the other, but the bashing of the man borders on hysterics. I don't watch much NBA because it lacks intrigue, at least for me. Ever since the super teams came along it's kinda sucked from a spectators' point of view. But I also wonder if we aren't comparing to the peak NBA of the 80s and 90s. And how much commercialization can one person swallow before the game is overshadowed by the circus? That said, I just don't buy the argument that people are tuning out because of politics. You're either in to it and you watch or you're indifferent and you don't.

Kareem was a Buck first and won a title after Big O joined the team.

The skill level has never been higher but the game has little appeal to me. I do think romanticizing the game we grew up with will always happen. Watching Jordan VS the Pistons or Dominique was the best. So was Big East basketball. I love college hoops but the "back in my day" comparisons are inevitable in any sport

The skill level has never been higher but the game has little appeal to me. I do think romanticizing the game we grew up with will always happen. Watching Jordan VS the Pistons or Dominique was the best. So was Big East basketball. I love college hoops but the "back in my day" comparisons are inevitable in any sport
Free agency pretty much ruined all professional sports for me. It's why I prefer collegiate sports, but that's changing too. I think it's great for the players, but for the fans you just never know who you're rooting for. It's constantly shifting, it's impossible to build loyalty or a connection to the players and rivalries last a minute.

Have you never heard of luxury tax? Lebron has played with more HOF than anyone in NBA history.
You can go a little above the cap and pay luxury tax but you can’t just keep adding guys like baseball. That HOF thing is just inaccurate. What HOF guys has he played with in their prime? Just Dewayne Wade and Anthony Davis? Don’t say Kyrie and Kevin love because they aren’t going into the hall of fame. Are you going to come back with Shaq again? Jordan had two HOF guys with him too. Every dynasty has had multiple HOF guys but when lebron has good players with him it isn’t fair?

Reactions: oldjar07
When I flipped to the local channel airing the finals and saw what was on the back of the jerseys, I knew I was not going to spend 1 second of my time watching! One jersey said: Say Their Names. Give me a break! That’s the line the thugs used when bracing diners at restaurants. And the league allowed this crap! Going, going gone!
Wow look at this snowflake triggered by some words

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT