ADVERTISEMENT

According to Benning......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antwill

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
mentality of the team much worse than he knew. Downgraded his prediction from 8 wins next year to saying 8 would be an incredible job by the coaches and worthy of another COY for Frost.

I hope everyone realizes we need to be patient. This isn't going to be a quick fix.

This group will grow in next 3 months or we will be very young. I don't care about 2018 record I will see improvements in other areas.

mentality of the team much worse than he knew. Downgraded his prediction from 8 wins next year to saying 8 would be an incredible job by the coaches and worthy of another COY for Frost.

I hope everyone realizes we need to be patient. This isn't going to be a quick fix.

Further details?

I’m not disputing this, as I can totally hear him saying it, but was this today? What segment if on the morning show?

I’m not disputing this, as I can totally hear him saying it, but was this today? What segment if on the morning show?

It was today. It was part of the discussion across more than one segment.

Reactions: newAD
I just want to see them qualify for a bowl game. We can't sacrifice the extra weeks of bowl game practices two years in a row when we're in the process of rebuilding the program.

I really don't think 6-6 is too much to ask even with the schedule and a new starter at QB. That's basically winning every game we "should" win while losing all of the tossups.

Anything beyond that is just gravy.

"C'mon man. I don't know where that came from," Meyer told CBS Sports. "It's like a new generation of excuse. [Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

"That's like, when I got here, everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer continued. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done.

"Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players.

"You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely. I love you, and I'm going to kick the shit out of you, and we're going to do it right …

"[Blaming players] drives me insane."

- Urban Meyer

"C'mon man. I don't know where that came from," Meyer told CBS Sports. "It's like a new generation of excuse. [Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

"That's like, when I got here, everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer continued. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done.

"Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players.

"You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely. I love you, and I'm going to kick the shit out of you, and we're going to do it right …

- Urban Meyer

Who's blaming players?

Who's blaming players?

DB! Whoops hit send too quick! It's what I have read on this board for a long time, wait until we get his players, wait until this or that. We have talent, we had talent, the mental weakness should be fixed by the staff that comes in.

Last edited:
I just want to see them qualify for a bowl game. We can't sacrifice the extra weeks of bowl game practices two years in a row when we're in the process of rebuilding the program.

I really don't think 6-6 is too much to ask even with the schedule and a new starter at QB. That's basically winning every game we "should" win while losing all of the tossups.

Anything beyond that is just gravy.

Right there with you. I’m just hoping to win the 6 home games against opponents not named Michigan State, and yes, anything beyond that is gravy. I don’t think we.have a mentally or physically tough team.

Reactions: Red Steve and 9and4
There is no agenda in saying no excuses. After 10 years of hearing about no excuses, I am finally on board with that mentality. I am a slow learner. The only narrative I see changing is from those who spent years saying no excuses for Pelini and Riley are now preparing themselves to be on the other side of that argument.

This team is now Scott Frost's team, if the team does not win games it will fall on Scott Frost and staff.
The psyche of the team is on Scott Frost and staff to fix. Any damage caused by Mike Riley and his staff is not real or an overreaction.
If the players do not buy in immediately, it is because the staff is not doing an adequate job, none of this falls on the players.
The systems the players have been coached in the last 3 years do not matter. It is up to the current coaches to correct any deficiencies and get the team to play at a high level within the current systems.
Based on the last 4 years recruiting rankings, the average recruit on the current roster is approx 3.24 stars, The talent is there, there should be no reason this team shouldn't be winning at least 8 games next year.
Bo Pelini inherited a 5 win team and won 9 games the following season and tied for the division title.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, some of that is tongue in cheek. There will be growing pains, no doubt. However, if this staff doesn't win 8 regular games next year, it should be considered a disappointment. That is the Nebraska standard.

UCF went 6-7 a year ago. To say we have to win 8 next year is short-sighted, especially with the tough schedule and learning an entirely new system with a freshman QB. I'll just be looking for improvement. Year 2 we will hopefully win the division.

Frost isn't inheriting a program that won 9+ games for 7 years straight. Nor is he inheriting a team that had a recent Top 5 recruiting class like Pelini did.

UCF went 6-7 a year ago. To say we have to win 8 next year is short-sighted, especially with the tough schedule and learning an entirely new system with a freshman QB. I'll just be looking for improvement. Year 2 we will hopefully win the division.

Frost isn't inheriting a program that won 9+ games for 7 years straight. Nor is he inheriting a team that had a recent Top 5 recruiting class like Pelini did.

It's cool, you can lower your expectations if you want to. But I refuse to lower my expectations for the Nebraska football program. 8 regular season wins is the bare minimum.

There is no agenda in saying no excuses. After 10 years of hearing about no excuses, I am finally on board with that mentality. I am a slow learner. The only narrative I see changing is from those who spent years saying no excuses for Pelini and Riley are now preparing themselves to be on the other side of that argument.

This team is now Scott Frost's team, if the team does not win games it will fall on Scott Frost and staff.
The psyche of the team is on Scott Frost and staff to fix. Any damage caused by Mike Riley and his staff is not real or an overreaction.
If the players do not buy in immediately, it is because the staff is not doing an adequate job, none of this falls on the players.
The systems the players have been coached in the last 3 years do not matter. It is up to the current coaches to correct any deficiencies and get the team to play at a high level within the current systems.
Based on the last 4 years recruiting rankings, the average recruit on the current roster is approx 3.24 stars, The talent is there, there should be no reason this team shouldn't be winning at least 8 games next year.
Bo Pelini inherited a 5 win team and won 9 games the following season and tied for the division title.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, some of that is tongue in cheek. There will be growing pains, no doubt. However, if this staff doesn't win 8 regular games next year, it should be considered a disappointment. That is the Nebraska standard.
I’m smiling at this. Well played. The only thing you missed is that a monkey can win 9 games at Nebraska...

I’m smiling at this. Well played. The only thing you missed is that a monkey can win 9 games at Nebraska...

I thought about the monkey but it just missed the cut along with -

if the new staff doesn't have the personnel to run what they want then they need to run what Riley did until they get the players they need. and
with adequate coaching, the 2017 Nebraska team would be competing for a west division title at a minimum

I really respect Damon
He’s a stand up guy who loves Nebraska
He gets to see what no one here gets to see, practice
He has access to coaches and admin
He is an accomplished coach and analyst
His technical knowledge of the game- he can run circles around nearly anyone
And he has a track record of seeing talent and starters ahead of about any press or commentator
Supposedly he isn’t a huge frost fan
But if Damon says something about Nebraska football i definitely believe him

Very disturbing to see

Last edited:
Frost can take a team that went 0-12 and in only two years turn them into a 13-0 team (which says a ton about Frost) but now we're called to be patient at Nebraska?

I'm not expecting to go 13-0 anytime soon, but 8 wins seems like a pretty low bar to start.

For those asking to give Frost time I'll ask, time for what exactly? To have a winning season? To win the West? To win the Big10? I'd like to know which year we're allowed to stop being patient and what the expectations are for that season.

I don't think Frost would accept any type of excuse from himself or from his staff on this upcoming season.

Frost can take a team that went 0-12 and in only two years turn them into a 13-0 team (which says a ton about Frost) but now we're called to be patient at Nebraska?

I'm not expecting to go 13-0 anytime soon, but 8 wins seems like a pretty low bar to start.

For those asking to give Frost time I'll ask, time for what exactly? To have a winning season? To win the West? To win the Big10? I'd like to know which year we're allowed to stop being patient and what the expectations are for that season.

I don't think Frost would accept any type of excuse from himself or from his staff on this upcoming season.

I’ll answer that. Need to give his staff time to teach the players to execute both offensive and defensively and play with out thinking with their hair on fire so they can win the West Division and play for the conference championship.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Nebraska is at an unprecedented abyss thanks to the lack of effort and ineptness of the last staff

Worst season in 56 years
2 losing seasons in 3

A soft and weak team with a very damaged psyche

This isn’t a team that won 9/10 games 7 years in a row and had issues with the fans which was simple to solve

What we have is Oregon state
No one better at the helm than Scott frost to get the stench of Riley off our beloved team

He will make the kind of progress we can all believe in- without having to lie to ourselves

The people that thought Riley was the answer get over it, he wasn’t no matter if you gave him 20 years. Get on board with the real deal

Last edited:
I’ll answer that. Need to give his staff time to teach the players to execute both offensive and defensively and play with out thinking with their hair on fire so they can win the West Division and play for the conference championship.
Okay, how long does that take? Going into year 2? Year 5?

My guess is that when comparing this team to the UCf team they took over
They are seeing a significantly weaker physically and mentally team than they could have imagined
And we play in the big 10
They already dialed it down by 20 Percent

Nebraska is at an unprecedented abyss thanks to the lack of effort and ineptness of the last staff

Worst season in 56 years
2 losing seasons in 3

This isn’t a team that won 9/10 games 7 years in a row and had issues with the fans

No one better at the helm than Scott frost to get the stench of Riley off our beloved team

He will make the kind of progress we can all believe in- without having to lie to ourselves

The people that thought Riley was the answer get over it, he wasn’t no matter if you gave him 20 years. Get on board with the real deal

Excellent post sir. Well stated....

Worst season in 56 years
2 losing seasons in 3

This isn’t a team that won 9/10 games 7 years in a row and had issues with the fans

Cut the crap. Everyone is on board. You are propping a straw man more than any I have ever seen.

You look absolutely ridiculous telling people to get on board. Completely and totally ridiculous. Not a single poster is upset that Frost is the head coach. Not. One.

Just cut the crap. Share your knowledge about frost. That’s good stuff. Flame people who supported Riley? Stupid.

- Urban Meyer
And that illustrates why he is one of the best coaches in college football.

The mentality aspect changes quickly when the 43 yo HC and his assistants are in the weight room next to you and he's busting hump.

The mentality changes quickly when alum wearing championship rings watch you practice.

The mentality changes when your last practice of spring will be an unchoreographed scrimmage in front of 97,000 fans.

I'm wondering why the same posters who were willing to give Riley 3+ years to bring in his system aren't willing to give Frost even 1 year to implement his system.

Now I don't believe in that crap, I expect to win right away. Just funny seeing how much butthurt the Riley backers still have that their coach got sent packing.

I do see some posters trying to make excuses for Frost, but there is no need. I fully expect we get 10 wins next year. I'd be very surprised if we got less than 8.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT