ADVERTISEMENT

A Great Coach for Nebraska Would Be..

May 29, 2001
Rocky Long at SDSU.. but he's too old and I'm not sure he'll take any job other than SDSU. He identifies many under the radar guys.. and his goal is to first be the most physical team on the field, all the rest stems from there.

SDSU is a tough sell.. no stadium, group of 5, no history to speak of, USC's back yard.. SDSU had 50k last night.. biggest GO5 crowd of the year according to some.

Where it gets tricky.. he has forgotten more football than most coaches know... but would he recruit 24-7.. will he have the tolerance for BIG level politics and media sniping?

Case in point, Franklin was recruiting in Texas and all the sudden somebody plants a story with Dennis Dodd that Franklin is aTm number one target.. using his visit to give the story some lift. It probably came from our ACC buddies (Pitt) or Maryland, or MSU. Mike Riley is a quality guy, Urban is too busy, and Harbaugh is too busy fixing his own team right now.

What Nebraska needs is a guy with a clear vision, who isn't worried about all the outside noise and optics. Getting caught up in recruiting rankings has never been Nebraska's MO, and never should. If you chase stars you still won't match up to the blue bloods in deeper talent areas. You need to form an identity and recruit for that identity.. Once you find that guy, you need to stick with him. Penn State has had problems, but they find quality coaches, support them, and it usually works. Realize that 9 wins is a good season when your crossover's include PSU and tOSU.. and every once in a while you'll have a shot at 11+ if the dice fall your way. Natl Championships will always be a an uphill battle, because PSU/OSU/UM can match every bit of tradition/$$$/stadium, and are lucky to be in better recruiting areas. But there is no reason you can't build a competitive team and take 1/3 vs each one of them.

One thing that I notice.. Nebraska fans talking recruiting rankings and worry about saving a class.. at this point for what.. you are changing defenses, offenses.. the idiot staffs don't even know what system they should recruit for. Find a coach who knows football and the player types he wants, and support him. And if 6 win seasons happen realize that they happen.

rocky is a pretty good coach, would have been better than riley a few years ago but no, we're not hiring rocky long.

Not promoting this guy to be our coach, but Brohm from Purdue is the type of game
day coach that is very impressive to watch. I think he calls the O, QB comes off the
field he talks to him, chews butt or encourages.

D gets a turnover he is high fiving the players etc. saw his pregame speech, very passionate
coach. We need a fully engaged coach, motivator, install discipline, accountability, establish the identity of play on both sides of the ball & play the best players.

They should have beat Wisky, 3 turnovers & a punt block, QB play is bad & will give us a chance.

Not promoting this guy to be our coach, but Brohm from Purdue is the type of game
day coach that is very impressive to watch. I think he calls the O, QB comes off the
field he talks to him, chews butt or encourages.

D gets a turnover he is high fiving the players etc. saw his pregame speech, very passionate
coach. We need a fully engaged coach, motivator, install discipline, accountability, establish the identity of play on both sides of the ball & play the best players.

They should have beat Wisky, 3 turnovers & a punt block, QB play is bad & will give us a chance.

I am absolutely promoting him. Great coach, that would get results here quickly.

We need an innovator not another over experienced coach who we think can suddenly achieve more than they ever have in the past because of increased resources.

I'm pretty sure the new AD has a very short list of coaches he will contact and I'd imagine Frost is on that list. Stoops could very well be on that list himself.

whoever it is they better exude toughness, b/c you are not going to outscheme the group of athletes that PSU/OSU/UM/MSU put on the field every year. A Mike Leach type coach who makes his bones on offense would be an awful fit.. how committed is Scott Frost to playing solid D?? Too many coaches lack balance.. Rocky Long is too old, but he is a better coach than probably 90% of the guys in coaching.. The TCU coach would be a fantastic fit, but he already makes more money than he'll ever need. Stoops doesn't play D either. Ferentz would ironically be a good fit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT