ADVERTISEMENT

45-7 gonna take a few years to get right.

I’m just tired of a portion of our fan base that’s totally fine with days like today. It’s completely unacceptable
Sure. I remember in 2003 when K-State beat us 38-9 in Lincoln. It was like aliens had landed. There was a day when losing at home was rare and getting blown out at home was a fireable offense. (See Oklahoma State in 2007 and Callahan)

I believe Rhule will get things turned around, but nobody deserves a pass for today. This was unacceptable.

Perhaps Rhule should have hired a better O Line coach? This line is pretty experienced. No reason they should be this bad.
There isn’t a coach in the country that could get Corcoran, piper and the boys ready for the dline we saw today. Why can’t people accept that our players simply aren’t good enough to compete with one of the best in the country? There’s a real talent gap. Coaching can’t fix that in one offseason.

How many people remember that Michigan wanted Harbaugh gone?

Sure and he would have been in 2021 if they saw a repeat of 2020.

Rhule obviously won't get fired for this. It is year 1 and he has an 8 year deal, but this was an unacceptable showing that he needs to understand can't happen in Lincoln.

Perhaps Rhule should have hired a better O Line coach? This line is pretty experienced. No reason they should be this bad.
Former pipeline members I’ve listened to say the problem isn’t the coach. It’s our left tackle and in one way it isn’t his fault. The problem is that Austin and Frost missed when they thought they could make a high school guard a college tackle. Left tackle who can pass protect are tough to find. I’ve said for years we need to build them out of high school tight ends.

Sure. I remember in 2003 when K-State beat us 38-9 in Lincoln. It was like aliens had landed. There was a day when losing at home was rare and getting blown out at home was a fireable offense. (See Oklahoma State in 2007 and Callahan)

I believe Rhule will get things turned around, but nobody deserves a pass for today. This was unacceptable.
Haven't been to a home game in years, do we still clap and applaud the visiting team as they leave the field like we did against Kansas years ago?

We just let a coach return for year 5 after never sniffing even a bowl game and being 1-8 in the big ten in year 4 simply because his name was Scott Frost.

Name another blue blood program that would have even considered letting a coach survive into year 5 with that kind of record?
Ok, now do solich through riley.

is Rhule on your hot seat list?

Qb evaluation..

Losing to teams with less talent
imo we’ve beaten the teams with the same or less talent, imo we are that deficient in talent and I blame the local media leading us on or pushing the koolade now I will say bringing in sims wasn’t a good decision but I’m thinking he was the best one or that considered coming to Nebraska. Except for today the team has showed some progress. Maybe your right but I’m willing to give him three years hell we gave Scott lost four plus.

3rd year in a row the coaching staff haven't figured out they need to help the LT as much as possible....chipping the outside rusher with TE's and RB's....leaving in a extra blocker to help Turner or Teddy....Failing at Football 101, just sad

Folks, many have said it in the past and it took me until Frost debacle for it to sink into my thick skull, but Nebraska will never be a great program again. We will still get discussed as one of the winnigest programs (thanks to TO winning 9 games all those years in the weak Big 8), but that last talking point will be gone once we slip out of the top 10. Let the arguments start with Minnesota and other irrelevant programs on who is the greatest (Minnesota has 2 more NC in their arsenal).
We have our sell out streak still intact.

We're going to take a bunch of lumps this year, it's obvious by now. Rhule was hired to rebuild the entire program which was a mess. Y3 has been his money year historically, I hope he can repeat those results.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Don't look now, but your boy Leipold just got equally boat raced by the first good team he faced this year...and he's in his third year. Lateral move from Rhule, at best. Same with Klieman.
The problem for them and now us is attracting elite talent. Michigan is now where Tom had our program. I believe Harbaugh has an advantage from having played QB and coached successfully in the NFL. We really need to stop the coaching carousel if we expect to be anything more than a bottom half B1G team.

The problem for them and now us is attracting elite talent. Michigan is now where Tom had our program. I believe Harbaugh has an advantage from having played QB and coached successfully in the NFL. We really need to stop the coaching carousel if we expect to be anything more than a bottom half B1G team.
We let Frost get into year 5 because of the “we need to stop the coaching carousel” mentality and are now 2 years further down the road in the wrong direction

Michigan ended up with Harbaugh because they kicked their guy off the carousel very early when they weren’t getting it done.

Rich Rod - 3 years (7-5 in year 3 which showed improvement)

Brady Hoke - 4 years (fired after his only losing season)

Reactions: huskercabby
We let Frost get into year 5 because of the “we need to stop the coaching carousel” mentality and are now 2 years further down the road in the wrong direction

Michigan ended up with Harbaugh because they kicked their guy off the carousel very early when they weren’t getting it done.

Rich Rod - 3 years (7-5 in year 3 which showed improvement)

Brady Hoke - 4 years (fired after his only losing season)
So a few major major differences…

Nebraska has been down longer than Michigan was. Not only that, but we lack the local recruiting base they have along with the fact our brand has really gone down the last 10 years (if not longer)

We kicked guys off early before. Callahan got 4. Bo had some success so he stayed longer. Riley got kicked off because we thought frost was our harbaugh. Now that frost has left us worse than ever, we’re no longer a quick rebuild. Even harbaugh struggled for years. The only way to fix this..truly fix this, is to let someone like Rhule build it from the ground up. We’re temple. We’re Baylor. We’re not a poorly coached yet talented sec school. Our roster needs turned over. Rhule has said he won’t go for a quick fix. He’s going to build it from the ground up. Build depth. Build a culture. That plan can get us minimally to a Wisconsin level. We recruit better than them. We just haven’t had the plan in place. It takes time. I’m afraid our “win now or we’ll throw a tantrum” fan culture will prevent this from happening.

Nebraska has been down longer than Michigan was. Not only that, but we lack the local recruiting base they have along with the fact our brand has really gone down the last 10 years (if not longer)

We kicked guys off early before. Callahan got 4. Bo had some success so he stayed longer. Riley got kicked off because we thought frost was our harbaugh. Now that frost has left us worse than ever, we’re no longer a quick rebuild. Even harbaugh struggled for years. The only way to fix this..truly fix this, is to let someone like Rhule build it from the ground up. We’re temple. We’re Baylor. We’re not a poorly coached yet talented sec school. Our roster needs turned over. Rhule has said he won’t go for a quick fix. He’s going to build it from the ground up. Build depth. Build a culture. That plan can get us minimally to a Wisconsin level. We recruit better than them. We just haven’t had the plan in place. It takes time. I’m afraid our “win now or we’ll throw a tantrum” fan culture will prevent this from happening.
That’s fair

In other words we should no longer consider other blue bloods as peer programs and shouldn’t have the same expectations as those programs
Wisconsin, Iowa etc are the programs we hope to model ourselves after

It was a glorious past, but it is far far in the past and not likely to return. We are a blue blood in historical terms only and are currently spending down this capital until one day we are no longer considered a blue blood

That line is playing up to their ability. We don’t have enough good tackles. That was a recruiting problem BEFORE Raiola got here. They tried like hell to address it in the portal. They’re going to have to develop tackles in particular. That takes more time than the 20 months Raiola has been at Nebraska.

Great post, well said.
Until we find a quality QB and infusion on the offense line we will be struggling on offense longer than us fans want to admit..

That’s fair

In other words we should no longer consider other blue bloods as peer programs and shouldn’t have the same expectations as those programs
Wisconsin, Iowa etc are the programs we hope to model ourselves after

It was a glorious past, but it is far far in the past and not likely to return. We are a blue blood in historical terms only and are currently spending down this capital until one day we are no longer considered a blue blood
I disagree with your conclusion. Our brand and blue blood status is wobbling, but the fact that we out-recruit many of our (more recently) successful peers (iowa/Wisconsin) lends us hope we can get back. We’re still Nebraska. We have a much higher ceiling anyone in the conference not named Michigan or Ohio state. We just have to accept we need a hybrid program model to get there from where we are now. We can get the athletes now to compete in the big ten west, and if we can take control there, I think we can get to the next level. History has proven that is possible. We just have to have patience about getting there. I personally think Rhule is the guy to build it. I could be wrong. But now is not the time to try to jump to conclusions. Give it time. Adults in charge with a real vision and plan…when was the last time we had that?

Even harbaugh struggled for years.

I don’t understand this narrative about Harbaugh struggling for years that has been trotted out

Harbaugh took over a 5 win team and in his first 5 years won 10-10-8-10-9 games. He was put on notice because Michigan expects to win conf titles and beat perennial top 5 teams with some regularity.
Harbaugh did not struggle for years

I don’t understand this narrative about Harbaugh struggling for years that has been trotted out

Harbaugh took over a 5 win team and in his first 5 years won 10-10-8-10-9 games. He was put on notice because Michigan expects to win conf titles and beat perennial top 5 teams with some regularity.
Harbaugh did not struggle for years
Michigan won a lot of games vs much less talented teams but he got beat soundly by better rosters. Maybe “struggled” is an overstatement. Didn’t meet expectations? Underachieved? Regardless, what they are now has taken 7 years to get to.

Are we seriously comparing Nebraska and Kansas?

No we’re comparing 3 coaches who seem like they can do a little more with a little less at programs that look decent until they play a team with elite talent. One doesn’t stand out more than another and all 3 have an equal chance to be “the guy”. Nothing about any of them is a differentiator. They don’t have multiple national championships, they don’t recruit at an elite level…they’re pretty much interchangeable.

That’s not a knock on Rhule. That’s just pointing out that there’s no way anyone can honestly say Rhule’s not the guy, but one of those other two would be.

No we’re comparing 3 coaches who seem like they can do a little more with a little less at programs that look decent until they play a team with elite talent. One doesn’t stand out more than another and all 3 have an equal chance to be “the guy”. Nothing about any of them is a differentiator. They don’t have multiple national championships, they don’t recruit at an elite level…they’re pretty much interchangeable.

That’s not a knock on Rhule. That’s just pointing out that there’s no way anyone can honestly say Rhule’s not the guy, but one of those other two would be.
Our glory days were against Oklahoma/Texas and a collection of also rans. With the addition of the Pac teams we’re in a conference of unparalleled strength. The networks got what they wanted, power against power, elite against elite every week. It will be like having the old Rose Bowl every week. We will be in some tall timber starting next year and I hope we don’t get lost.

Last edited:
Yes, rhule is not the guy. We need to quit hiring coaches that already peaked. It’s like you buying Bitcoin at $60k 😂
Bitcoin can go to $100k. Ruhle might be able to win 10 games.

We have been hiring coaches who caught lightning in a bottle once and hoping they can do it a second time.

What coach do you think could've come in and done better?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Bitcoin can go to $100k. Ruhle might be able to win 10 games.

We have been hiring coaches who caught lightning in a bottle once and hoping they can do it a second time.

What coach do you think could've come in and done better?
Let’s go back in time, after TO we had Frank with no prior experience as a head coach, bill clownahan head coach in nfl he really never wanted to be here, Bo again no prior experience as a p5 head coach, smiling mike, probably the second biggest mistake, let’s be serious only reason he comes is for a fat paycheck, and the biggest disappointment in modern times is Scott lost frost.first Thing maybe Frank shouldnt have been fired, that will always be debatable. Imo slippery Steve should have fired him after his 7-7 season We probably could have hired a way better coach but again Steve supposedly wanted wanstead who sucks. except for frost none of them caught lightning in a bottle. So if we really examine the hires they we’re terrible Hires a gaggle of washed up or two young and inexperienced. Imo Tom screwed up twice first time he picked his successor without the blessings of the ad and his second one was hiring Bo, had we hired a top tier coach back then they could have been very successful taking clownahan recruits and build from their. Just my thoughts

Michigan won a lot of games vs much less talented teams but he got beat soundly by better rosters. Maybe “struggled” is an overstatement. Didn’t meet expectations? Underachieved? Regardless, what they are now has taken 7 years to get to.
So did god himself here

Let’s go back in time, after TO we had Frank with no prior experience as a head coach, bill clownahan head coach in nfl he really never wanted to be here, Bo again no prior experience as a p5 head coach, smiling mike, probably the second biggest mistake, let’s be serious only reason he comes is for a fat paycheck, and the biggest disappointment in modern times is Scott lost frost.first Thing maybe Frank shouldnt have been fired, that will always be debatable. Imo slippery Steve should have fired him after his 7-7 season We probably could have hired a way better coach but again Steve supposedly wanted wanstead who sucks. except for frost none of them caught lightning in a bottle. So if we really examine the hires they we’re terrible Hires a gaggle of washed up or two young and inexperienced. Imo Tom screwed up twice first time he picked his successor without the blessings of the ad and his second one was hiring Bo, had we hired a top tier coach back then they could have been very successful taking clownahan recruits and build from their. Just my thoughts
Bill Callahan took the raiders to the Superbowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT