ADVERTISEMENT

39 days since our last verbal (non-kickers)

2011 - Ameer Abdullah - 3 star
Todd Peat - 4 star
2012 - Imani Cross 3 star
Avery Moss 3 star
Alonzo Moore 4 star
2013 - Chongo Kondolo 3 star
Boaz Joseph 3 star
Cethan Carter 3 star
Maliek Collins 3 star
Kevin Maurice 3 star
2014 - Sedrick King 3 star
AJ Bush 2 star
Nick Gates 4 star
Mikale Wilbon 4 star
Chris Jones 3 star

This is just good players who commited to Nebraska after New Years and before LOI signing day.

Yes, its amazing how many times I heard Todd Peat's named mentioned during game broadcast. Super good. Also, that Avery Moss was good... At whipping his junk out in public places anyways... 2014 signing couldn't be listed as good or bad really. Its just to early to tell. And if they do pan out, is that because of Pelini or Riley? Of your list, I'd list AA, Collins, Carter, Cross and maybe Moore as good players. That's it. End of list.

2011 - Ameer Abdullah - 3 star
Todd Peat - 4 star
2012 - Imani Cross 3 star
Avery Moss 3 star
Alonzo Moore 4 star
2013 - Chongo Kondolo 3 star
Boaz Joseph 3 star
Cethan Carter 3 star
Maliek Collins 3 star
Kevin Maurice 3 star
2014 - Sedrick King 3 star
AJ Bush 2 star
Nick Gates 4 star
Mikale Wilbon 4 star
Chris Jones 3 star

This is just good players who commited to Nebraska after New Years and before LOI signing day.
Thanks for compiling the list. While some haven't panned out it does show, at least according to star power, he got some decent talent.

Reactions: Husker Hunyock
Yes, its amazing how many times I heard Todd Peat's named mentioned during game broadcast. Super good. Also, that Avery Moss was good... At whipping his junk out in public places anyways... 2014 signing couldn't be listed as good or bad really. Its just to early to tell. And if they do pan out, is that because of Pelini or Riley? Of your list, I'd list AA, Collins, Carter, Cross and maybe Moore as good players. That's it. End of list.

You are going to have the same issues no matter who the coach is. I posted this list as was requested. Right now, we are going to need 10 - 13 more recruits depending on losing some. Pelini could come close to this as he did year after year., But Riley may start settling on some questionable recruits with this many to fill. Either that, or he will award some to the walk-ons.
I posted Peat's name since he was a 4 star recruit. Avery Moss had a great year but made a stupid mistake. He did all that the University asked for to get back to the team, but then the University told him no. Sucked that the University did that and wasted a year for this kid who could have gone elswhere right away.

You are going to have the same issues no matter who the coach is. I posted this list as was requested. Right now, we are going to need 10 - 13 more recruits depending on losing some. Pelini could come close to this as he did year after year., But Riley may start settling on some questionable recruits with this many to fill. Either that, or he will award some to the walk-ons.
I posted Peat's name since he was a 4 star recruit. Avery Moss had a great year but made a stupid mistake. He did all that the University asked for to get back to the team, but then the University told him no. Sucked that the University did that and wasted a year for this kid who could have gone elswhere right away.

Ok that's fair about Peat... But if that is what we are judging good on, you need to take AJ Bush off your list, because 2* is not good. Some of the 3*'s would be iffy as well, but no need to go that in depth.

Ok that's fair about Peat... But if that is what we are judging good on, you need to take AJ Bush off your list, because 2* is not good. Some of the 3*'s would be iffy as well, but no need to go that in depth.

Agreed. Some work out great like Abdullah, but others don't work out at all like Peat. I left off several recruits that are no longer with the program, or never made it to campus. I think that you end up getting these guys late, it is because you are taking a chance on the recruits making it to campus or have some personality issues, where other programs have walked away. This is why many are nervous about us having to recruit so many late in the season.

We are now at 58 days since the last commit. And there are only 29 shopping days left until NSD.

But supposedly we have some behind-the-scenes momentum, so no need to be concerned....

I'm a little concerned also. But some of our final targets don't visit for a couple weeks. Hard for them to commit tell that visit. Some others have stated their announcement dates. Which also are not for a couple weeks. So it explains some of the lull. Also it's not like anyone else has got their commitment either. Believe me would I like Fitz/Butler/Farniok/ect. To already be committed. But we are still in on them. I'm just trying to stay positive. GBR

Then why not just be quiet all together, seeing as it won't change a thing either way.

?
Didn't start the thread... Just trying to bring calm into it. Unsuccessfully, at times, it would seem.

Besides, if we all were quiet you would have to troll yourself, and what's the fun in that?

Its interesting that the hysteria continues to ramp up while we're STILL IN A DEAD PERIOD......Laughing

You do realize that the dead period is a misnomer, don't you? The only limitation is no in-person contact, but coaches and recruits can still phone, text, and email. And recruits can and do commit during the dead period, as have some of our targets.

I'm a little concerned also. But some of our final targets don't visit for a couple weeks. Hard for them to commit tell that visit. Some others have stated their announcement dates. Which also are not for a couple weeks. So it explains some of the lull. Also it's not like anyone else has got their commitment either. Believe me would I like Fitz/Butler/Farniok/ect. To already be committed. But we are still in on them. I'm just trying to stay positive. GBR

I buy this for about 4-5 spots, but there are about 10+ spots to fill. Some progress leading up to the last couple weeks should be expected. We need 10 commits in the next 29 days, but have added 0 in the prior 58 days.

And as for the 4-5 spots where we are waiting on late announcements from A-list targets, it seems foolishly optimistic to think that we would land all of them. But hopefully we do and we will have a very fine class.

I buy this for about 4-5 spots, but there are about 10+ spots to fill. Some progress leading up to the last couple weeks should be expected. We need 10 commits in the next 29 days, but have added 0 in the prior 58 days.

And as for the 4-5 spots where we are waiting on late announcements from A-list targets, it seems foolishly optimistic to think that we would land all of them. But hopefully we do and we will have a very fine class.
By my account it's more like around 8 people we are their top couple choices. And thats not to mention some possible flips that are committed to other schools. And some offers have went out recently to new targets. With some more coming I'm sure. Obviously your right me might not lad all of them. But the coaches have a way better read on the possibilities then any of us. Plus we don't know for sure how many might be leaving the program. Maybe it's none who knows. Again I'm sure the coaches have a better I des about who is leaving then we do. So the over all number of this class is being speculated at this point. I'm sure the coaches can count to 85 and have a plan accordingly. GBR

Reactions: timnsun
We will start seeing commits. That's a fact. People will then either be saying wow he had me worried or trying to sell the late choices as diamonds in the rough. We shall see.

W
By my account it's more like around 8 people we are their top couple choices. And thats not to mention some possible flips that are committed to other schools. And some offers have went out recently to new targets. With some more coming I'm sure. Obviously your right me might not lad all of them. But the coaches have a way better read on the possibilities then any of us. Plus we don't know for sure how many might be leaving the program. Maybe it's none who knows. Again I'm sure the coaches have a better I des about who is leaving then we do. So the over all number of this class is being speculated at this point. I'm sure the coaches can count to 85 and have a plan accordingly. GBR
Whether or not it pans out I am 100% behind the coaches decision to go for the gold ring. How do you know if you can do something if you do not even try. Yes there is some risk of being left at the altar but at least they are in the game and trying

It's amazing the chest bumping that happens on all sides during recruiting season. Let NSD get here and then let the evaluations begin. The idea that we would be concerned before a 1/3 of our class gets signed is incredulous.

Our staff is totally under water right now. Clearly we never had a plan. LMAO.

A lot of posters are all of a sudden quiet, weird how that works.

Blotards gonna blotard.

This is what's wrong with this board, so many delusional fans here. Do you really think that " A lot of posters (who) are all of a sudden quiet" don't want Nebraska to do great just because we've been critical? That's ridiculous. Of course I wanted to be proven wrong and I am sure many of the other posters agree with me. But here's the deal fellas, I haven't been proven wrong. This class is exactly about on par with a Bo recruiting class and it still might finish worse than his. NU needs to be better than it was with Bo. Not equal. I don't care if we are ranked #22 or #44, it's not where we belong. We belong no lower than #15 and should have at least 1 top 10 finish every 4 years. That's my expectations. That's where I want it to be. When that starts, then I will be satisfied with our recruiting. I stopped my RSS subscription not because of cost but because it was frustrating watching Bo & his staff recruit in that much detail. We are in the same boat here with Riley right now. He has to be better next season. That is all.

Reactions: TheBeav815
This is what's wrong with this board, so many delusional fans here.

5X%2BVanity%2BMirror.jpg

This is what's wrong with this board, so many delusional fans here. Do you really think that " A lot of posters (who) are all of a sudden quiet" don't want Nebraska to do great just because we've been critical? That's ridiculous. Of course I wanted to be proven wrong and I am sure many of the other posters agree with me. But here's the deal fellas, I haven't been proven wrong. This class is exactly about on par with a Bo recruiting class and it still might finish worse than his. NU needs to be better than it was with Bo. Not equal. I don't care if we are ranked #22 or #44, it's not where we belong. We belong no lower than #15 and should have at least 1 top 10 finish every 4 years. That's my expectations. That's where I want it to be. When that starts, then I will be satisfied with our recruiting. I stopped my RSS subscription not because of cost but because it was frustrating watching Bo & his staff recruit in that much detail. We are in the same boat here with Riley right now. He has to be better next season. That is all.
You make some good points. I would say to look at this class player by player. Look at the others that recruited each. Also look at their camps and how they faired against top talent. Regardless of final ranking this class appears solid as chit. It's a strong foundation and great considering a losing season. The arrow is pointed in the right direction. And I think you will get your wish next season for a top class ranking. GBR ^up we go

This is what's wrong with this board, so many delusional fans here. Do you really think that " A lot of posters (who) are all of a sudden quiet" don't want Nebraska to do great just because we've been critical?
Butler commits. Nothing positive from you. Miller commits. Nothing positive from you. Farnoik commits (wait for it)..... Nothing positive from you.

Not even a measly "Like". All you do is continue to be a downer in your posts and "Liking" those comments that still question or have concerns for this staff.

EDIT: So sorry if many us have a hard time believing that you actually want Mike Riley and Co. to succeed.

I don't know if anyone has ever watched Ren and Stimpy. I've seen an episode or two. While most of it is schlock, one episode has always stuck with me.

During the episode, Stimpy is inventing things and Ren is miserable as usual.

Since Stimpy is Ren's friend, and he hates seeing him angry and miserable all the time, he does what any friend would do: he invents a "happy helmet" for Ren to cheer him up.

He slams it on Ren's head and it forces Ren into a state of around the clock happiness. He also starts doing nice things for Ren to help the cheering up process.

During the cheering up process, the happy helmet gets destroyed. Ren is no longer under the happy helmet's spell and throws an absolute tirade that Stimpy forced the happy helmet on him.

During the tirade, as he is strangling the life out of Stimpy, Ren realizes something.

Ren realizes that he is never happy except when he's angry and miserable. And, since Stimpy just made him more angry and miserable than he had ever been, at that moment, he was happier than he had ever been.

His tirade subsides, and he loosens his grip from around Stimpy's neck and thanks him.

Not sure why I've been thinking about that episode lately.

You make some good points.

Not really...

Mike is known to have an eye for talent and also someone that develops it as well. This isn't my opinion, this is an opinion that has been widely shared by many talking heads all over the country - Rivals, ESPN, PAC coaches, so on and so on. So while it's technically correct he's currently landing a class ranking similar to Peelini, what @spinner4 fails to recognize and acknowledge is, Peelini wasn't known as a wide spread developer like Riley is. Blo was known as a schematic coach with success with other coaches recruits.

Too many people are damaged for what happened the previous 7 years. Yes, we landed some (Rivals) studs, but how many of them panned out?!?

There's a lot of misses so spare me the "he's recruiting no different than Peelini". A comparison can't be made till their through the system, for obvious reasons.

Rivals 4-stars, 2009-2014 signed under Peelini
  1. Anrkah, solid
  2. Burkhead, enough said
  3. Cody Green, transferred
  4. Dijon Washington, transferred
  5. Chris Williams, transferred
  6. Carnes, transferred
  7. Cooper, starter
  8. David, all world (JUCO)
  9. Hardrick, solid (JUCO)
  10. Harper, never made it
  11. Heard, transferred
  12. Rodriguez, solid
  13. Rome, transferred
  14. Aaron Green, transferred <--- 2011 class
  15. Jackson, injuries <--- 2011 class
  16. Klachko, transferred <--- 2011 class
  17. Moore, transferred <--- 2011 class
  18. Peat, transferred <--- 2011 class
  19. Reeves, solid
  20. Santos, transferred <--- 2011 class
  21. Stafford, solid (JUCO)
  22. Starling, never made it on campus <--- 2011 class
  23. Sterup, solid
  24. Turner, solid (indifferent)
  25. Anderson, solid (JUCO)
  26. Seisay, solid (JUCO)
  27. Gregory, solid (JUCO)
  28. Monte Harrison, never made it on campus
Remaining 4-star players still with eligibility
  1. McMullen
  2. Moore
  3. Thurston
  4. Westerkamp
  5. Banderas
  6. Marcus Newby
  7. Terrell Newby
  8. Taylor
  9. Farmer
  10. Gates
  11. Wilbon

Huskertim. I have stated the same things many times about Bo's 4stars. I was just trying to make a point without turning it into a passing match between me and spinner. So I told him he had "some good points". I didn't say which ones or how many. You and me are probably on the same page. GBR^up we go

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
As the OP to this thread, I feel compelled to chime in.

My concern at the time, and until about 8 days ago, was that we were playing a high-stakes game of chicken. We had a bad run of losing out on some targets, with not a single new verbal to provide some balance. I'm thrilled that we are starting get some A-listers and B+-listers, and I feel good about a few of them left. My biggest concern when Riley was first hired was whether he could recruit well enough to succeed. I am happy to see that he may very well be able to recruit well enough, and I am optimistic for 2016 and especially 2017 and beyond.

I wonder if it will be Riley's practice to wait for late-committing studs to fill ~40% of his class, or if that's just how it turned out this year.

Reactions: Archie Graham

I agree that we need to continue to improve next season - and we are on a fantastic track right now for 2017. That class is going to be starting soon.

That being said, you're a complete dope if you look at our recruiting right now and think it is even remotely close to what we have during the Pelini years. Pick any metric you want OTHER thank final ranking and this staff is better. Finally, final ranking is a statistical measurement that doesn't take all the variables into account. We just landed a three star with a whole host of outstanding P5 offers. Back in the Pelini days we were landing three stars that were barely at the FCS level.

There is NOBODY better than Nate Clause to act as a sounding board about recruiting. He has alarming depth and understanding of both staffs. He's said time and time again that this class will finish strong, next year is going to be great, and that Nebraska finally has PROFESSIONALS in charge of recruiting.

My concern at the time, and until about 8 days ago, was that we were playing a high-stakes game of chicken. We had a bad run of losing out on some targets, with not a single new verbal to provide some balance. I'm thrilled that we are starting get some A-listers and B+-listers, and I feel good about a few of them left. My biggest concern when Riley was first hired was whether he could recruit well enough to succeed. I am happy to see that he may very well be able to recruit well enough, and I am optimistic for 2016 and especially 2017 and beyond.

I wonder if it will be Riley's practice to wait for late-committing studs to fill ~40% of his class, or if that's just how it turned out this year.

Solid post.

IMO, that's just how it turned out this year.

With how the season went I would say that's just how it turned out this year. A lot of guys were maybe a little unsure and once the coaches were able to get out to see them, offered some reassurance.

Not really...

Mike is known to have an eye for talent and also someone that develops it as well. This isn't my opinion, this is an opinion that has been widely shared by many talking heads all over the country - Rivals, ESPN, PAC coaches, so on and so on. So while it's technically correct he's currently landing a class ranking similar to Peelini, what @spinner4 fails to recognize and acknowledge is, Peelini wasn't known as a wide spread developer like Riley is. Blo was known as a schematic coach with success with other coaches recruits.

Too many people are damaged for what happened the previous 7 years. Yes, we landed some (Rivals) studs, but how many of them panned out?!?

There's a lot of misses so spare me the "he's recruiting no different than Peelini". A comparison can't be made till their through the system, for obvious reasons.

Rivals 4-stars, 2009-2014 signed under Peelini
  1. Anrkah, solid
  2. Burkhead, enough said
  3. Cody Green, transferred
  4. Dijon Washington, transferred
  5. Chris Williams, transferred
  6. Carnes, transferred
  7. Cooper, starter
  8. David, all world (JUCO)
  9. Hardrick, solid (JUCO)
  10. Harper, never made it
  11. Heard, transferred
  12. Rodriguez, solid
  13. Rome, transferred
  14. Aaron Green, transferred <--- 2011 class
  15. Jackson, injuries <--- 2011 class
  16. Klachko, transferred <--- 2011 class
  17. Moore, transferred <--- 2011 class
  18. Peat, transferred <--- 2011 class
  19. Reeves, solid
  20. Santos, transferred <--- 2011 class
  21. Stafford, solid (JUCO)
  22. Starling, never made it on campus <--- 2011 class
  23. Sterup, solid
  24. Turner, solid (indifferent)
  25. Anderson, solid (JUCO)
  26. Seisay, solid (JUCO)
  27. Gregory, solid (JUCO)
  28. Monte Harrison, never made it on campus
Remaining 4-star players still with eligibility
  1. McMullen
  2. Moore
  3. Thurston
  4. Westerkamp
  5. Banderas
  6. Marcus Newby
  7. Terrell Newby
  8. Taylor
  9. Farmer
  10. Gates
  11. Wilbon
Only time will tell on this comparison. Is it fair to count Stevenson as a Riley recruit who transferred?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT