ADVERTISEMENT

39 days since our last verbal (non-kickers)

You seem to worry a lot.
I agree, nothing to worry about. Since the turn of the century we have watched four questionable coaching hires and been assured every single time by "experts" that the reality that is right in front of our eyes is not reality and somehow we are going to defy the odds and put together a consistent top ten program. The results have been very impressive so far. No reason to worry at all. Carry on...

^^^^^This^^^^^ Riley's first year record was a monumental dud and hurt any recruiting momentum we had. And so far his recruiting is no better than Pelini. The sunshine pumpers and Riley apologists can get on here and say all they want about better organization and better coaching. But here is the only fact I care about: 5-7. This is freaking Nebraska. 5-7 records are completely unacceptable. So Riley better drag in some quality recruits by signing day or the wolves will be after him. And they should be. We did not fire Pelini and bring in Riley so we could maintain the status quo. He has to win. Period. And so far all I see is a smile and seven losses.

Nailed it.

I agree, nothing to worry about. Since the turn of the century we have watched four questionable coaching hires and been assured every single time by "experts" that the reality that is right in front of our eyes is not reality and somehow we are going to defy the odds and put together a consistent top ten program. The results have been very impressive so far. No reason to worry at all. Carry on...
Good point. You need to worry. A lot.

Hopefully that will help the situation improve, as long as you're worrying.

Reactions: 94husker
Who cares about being full? We are about a half a star ranking per player ahead of them (2.83 to 3.21). I would be flipping out (in a bad way) if Riley brought in Iowa's class.
This has been the case for years that we have out recruited them, but they have beat us in our own house the last two meetings, have achieved a few top 10 rankings since the turn of the century (with a potential top 5 finish this year), have played in a BCS bowl and now the Rose Bowl. Can't argue they have reached greater heights. But we do have some championships from the 1900's we can chat about, so there is that.

We are judging something that's isn't finished. It's light a boxing match. We seem to have won the first couple rounds and maybe lost some in the middle. But the fight is not over and how we close out the last few rounds will make all the difference. I also still say that 3 star athletes that are the right fit are like 4 stars. We won't know for a couple years if the Riley team is better at finding talent than the past. GBR. Make January ours.

I used to hate old people who smiled all the time, didn't seem to care much, and drove slowly. Now that I am becoming one of them (minus the slow driving part), I am beginning to understand. I do care, but I am learning that what is going to happen is going to happen and all teeth-gnashing does is turn you into a bitter person. I have also been blessed that things more often than not turn out for the best. A sub-25 recruiting class and another losing season will no doubt start to turn me from a sunshine pumper to a Ril-leaver. But life is too short for me to feel depressed about our 2016 recruiting and 2016 W/L record until they happen. I mean, I understand we are all passionate and this is a message board, but speaking for myself, being angry for the next two months before signing day is absurd.

This has been the case for years that we have out recruited them, but they have beat us in our own house the last two meetings, have achieved a few top 10 rankings since the turn of the century (with a potential top 5 finish this year), have played in a BCS bowl and now the Rose Bowl. Can't argue they have reached greater heights. But we do have some championships from the 1900's we can chat about, so there is that.

So basically, you're just here to shed some salty tears.

Reactions: 94husker
I used to hate old people who smiled all the time, didn't seem to care much, and drove slowly. Now that I am becoming one of them (minus the slow driving part), I am beginning to understand. I do care, but I am learning that what is going to happen is going to happen and all teeth-gnashing does is turn you into a bitter person. I have also been blessed that things more often than not turn out for the best. A sub-25 recruiting class and another losing season will no doubt start to turn me from a sunshine pumper to a Ril-leaver. But life is too short for me to feel depressed about our 2016 recruiting and 2016 W/L record until they happen. I mean, I understand we are all passionate and this is a message board, but speaking for myself, being angry for the next two months before signing day is absurd.

What makes it worse is posters coming on here to give some "inside information" suggesting a package deal will happen, when in reality they have no idea what these kids are going to do. I hate getting my hopes up (and seeing others get theirs up as well) just to be let down. Riley's record probably won't be much better next year, so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

The good news, we still have not quite 2 months to finish filling out the class.
The bad news, we only have not quite 2 months to finish filling out the class.

The message here is we still have plenty of time if there is a concentrated effort. There are HOL articles issued pretty regularly about recruits/recruiting. The coaching staff is working on it (inferred, but why would you think anything else). Now, I don't want to see a "fire sale" approach to picking up commits in February, but I think this discussion is a little premature.

At least one of the other recruiting sites has predictions. Even these recruiting "experts" making the predictions aren't right all the time. Unless you're a mind reader, it's still a guess, maybe a better informed guess, on where a recruit is going to land. I'm surprised we didn't get Jordan Elliot and are out of the money on Diondre Overton, but I'm just an idiot message board poster.

Points and rankings. Nobody can tell you how many points it will take to be ranked 25th, 20th, whatever number. We won't know the required points until after the fact. I think stars matter, but they're not the end all. Probability suggests a higher star rating reflects a higher ceiling, but it's not foolproof. Who washes out, who goes on to be an elite player? The better the class ratings wise, the better chance for more elite players.

So, we need to just sit tight through the dead period and not go all Chicken Little.

Suddenly it's not Sacremento State, eh? Now they do have P5 options they just aren't good enough offers. Bullshit. You basically stated we had scrubs except for two guys. That's bullshit. Lots of our guys had solid offers and plenty from good schools. Some that don't are the best in their state. We also addressed our major need in the short term except for DE which we will address soon. A couple guys committed early and have stayed on with Riley and his staff. You're an idiot and continue to show it around here. I didn't equate tOSU and Indiana but you did equate Indiana and Sacremento State.

A bad offer is a bad offer. You pumped your chest at the amount of P5 offers our commits have which means nothing when it's the bottom tier schools. And yes, Grim was actually looking at Sac State before we offered. Notice he committed without a visit, that could very well show he was desperate for an offer from a big name school. And to say their the best in their state means absolutely nothing. Lots of kids take home the Gatorade player of the year in their state and suck in college and aren't very highly recruited. Wasn't Panico the GPOY his Sr year? Hell there are 5 stars that don't even make all state. Look at the top recruits in the state of Nebraska, Fant & Bubak didn't even make the first team in the LJS I'm pretty sure. It's not how you did in HS it's how you project in college. Is Riley doing an ok job at recruiting? Depends on your hopes for the program. He isn't landing recruits that will bring in the talent level to make us relevant to the college football world. Sorry, he just isn't. I wish I was wrong here. I've been following this crap way to long to believe anything different. You can call me names and huff and puff, but that's just a sign you have no legs to stand on in this fight and all the name calling won't change a thing. It is what it is. If calling me names changed that, I'd call myself out.

A bad offer is a bad offer. You pumped your chest at the amount of P5 offers our commits have which means nothing when it's the bottom tier schools. And yes, Grim was actually looking at Sac State before we offered. Notice he committed without a visit, that could very well show he was desperate for an offer from a big name school. And to say their the best in their state means absolutely nothing. Lots of kids take home the Gatorade player of the year in their state and suck in college and aren't very highly recruited. Wasn't Panico the GPOY his Sr year? Hell there are 5 stars that don't even make all state. Look at the top recruits in the state of Nebraska, Fant & Bubak didn't even make the first team in the LJS I'm pretty sure. It's not how you did in HS it's how you project in college. Is Riley doing an ok job at recruiting? Depends on your hopes for the program. He isn't landing recruits that will bring in the talent level to make us relevant to the college football world. Sorry, he just isn't. I wish I was wrong here. I've been following this crap way to long to believe anything different. You can call me names and huff and puff, but that's just a sign you have no legs to stand on in this fight and all the name calling won't change a thing. It is what it is. If calling me names changed that, I'd call myself out.
You Sir, are dead on balls accurate. The rosey glasses never seize to amaze me. Thx for the confidence there are folks who are realistic. I hate reading the same underlying excuses. Thx again and hope we're wrong, but I too have been doing this stuff and NFL draft stuff way too long to believe your post is not 100 percent accurate. Every single team has their Gatorade, player of the year, kid of the century - aka everyone gets a trophy.

I know you hate the sunshine pumping that goes on, but at the same time, it gets tiring hearing a 'message board expert' saying a "bad offer is a bad offer" because he's seen stuff for many years.

So why should I believe you over a HTO or a Jflores? Or over actual recruiting analysts who still say we should bring in a top 25 class?

Ultimately, I have to decide whether to look forward to something or complain about something. If I choose to look forward to something I'm called a sunshine pumper, correct? I would venture to guess that I'm much happier in general than I would be if I were a doom and gloomer. I'll take the sunshine pumping. Suits me better.

I know you hate the sunshine pumping that goes on, but at the same time, it gets tiring hearing a 'message board expert' saying a "bad offer is a bad offer" because he's seen stuff for many years.

So why should I believe you over a HTO or a Jflores? Or over actual recruiting analysts who still say we should bring in a top 25 class?

Ultimately, I have to decide whether to look forward to something or complain about something. If I choose to look forward to something I'm called a sunshine pumper, correct? I would venture to guess that I'm much happier in general than I would be if I were a doom and gloomer. I'll take the sunshine pumping. Suits me better.
You weren't talking to me, but I chimed in on spinners. I still agree with spinner but you have a great point. Positive thoughts are a better way to go through life. Thx for the reminder. Not saying I won't cal a spade a spade here, but I appreciate your deep thoughts. We all need it in these trying times.

Reactions: timnsun
You weren't talking to me, but I chimed in on spinners. I still agree with spinner but you have a great point. Positive thoughts are a better way to go through life. Thx for the reminder. Not saying I won't cal a spade a spade here, but I appreciate your deep thoughts. We all need it in these trying times.
I do appreciate the response... And I sometimes crusade too much on these boards... At times I should just look the other way. Sometimes I do, but often I don't. I'm not the coach's mouthpiece or defender, but I sure act like it at times.

Like I said earlier in the week, I can't wait til February... Then we will no much better where we stand. At least until August when we all start prognosticating once again. :)

Huh? The bold couldn't be further from the truth.

Really HTO? I must have missed the big influx of big time commits we have had over the past two months. Please do tell me where I should go to find the recruiting momentum you say exists? And don't point me at fantasy lists of guys we are "in on". I have been a follower of this board far too long to put any stock in the opinions of insiders, including yours. I am a results oriented guy. And as much as I disliked Bo, he went 9-4 or 10-3 every year. Riley? A respectable OSU like 5-7. Thud. And all I see lately in recruiting are near misses. I see no difference makers committing lately. And if by signing day we end up around 25th I will come on here and HAPPILY EAT CROW. But I have suffered through too much Husker mediocrity since 2001 to put up with any more sunshine pumping. If Riley brings in the recruits and turns us around next year you won't find anyone happier than me. But right now all I see is 5-7 and a recruiting ranking in the 40's. And until that changes I don't care what you or any other sunshine pumper has to say. I will believe it when I see results. Period

So basically, you're just here to shed some salty tears.
Yes. I thought it was very sad that we had morphed into Iowa over the last several years, but to have them surpass us brings tears to my eyes. But we still have those trophies from last century to comfort us, just like Minnesota and Illinois.

ive got a scar on my forehead right now... Beat it against the wall too much.

Don't you realize current ranking predicts final ranking? Just look at ssmill77, Iowa is recruiting much better cuz they're full. How can you argue against that? And besides, we offered a punter...

I also think we should stop offering players other P5 schools offer as well. As soon as other schools offer, these commits forget about Nebraska and take the other offer. Poljan and Reese have proven that once again. If we just offer guys without other P5 offers we would be full right now and everything would be rosy.

:rolleyes:o_O:oops::confused::mad:Sick
Where do I start on your slam of my post? It's not rocket science - Iowa whipped our butt at Lincoln with their 2 & 3 star players. So either the ratings are skewed (now there's a revelation!), or their coaches are vastly superior to ours (Hmmmmm!). Or maybe the few 4 star players we do get - we chase off for whatever reason? Iowa's recruiting is going much better than ours because they identify their targets early on and don't care how many stars they have by their rivals pictures. Plus they will coach them up (also a novel idea - Johnny Stanton says Hi with his 3500 passing yds this yr). It's great the coaches are shooting for the stars on recruits, but one-by-one they are committing elsewhere (several in the last couple of weeks). And Oh, by the way, how many recruits is Hughes pulling in? Have we even tried to find a DL? You think that won't be a problem in 17?

Where do I start on your slam of my post? It's not rocket science - Iowa whipped our butt at Lincoln with their 2 & 3 star players. So either the ratings are skewed (now there's a revelation!), or their coaches are vastly superior to ours (Hmmmmm!). Or maybe the few 4 star players we do get - we chase off for whatever reason? Iowa's recruiting is going much better than ours because they identify their targets early on and don't care how many stars they have by their rivals pictures. Plus they will coach them up (also a novel idea - Johnny Stanton says Hi with his 3500 passing yds this yr). It's great the coaches are shooting for the stars on recruits, but one-by-one they are committing elsewhere (several in the last couple of weeks). And Oh, by the way, how many recruits is Hughes pulling in? Have we even tried to find a DL? You think that won't be a problem in 17?
I was as big of a booster of Stanton as anybody but he sucked in spring practices. 3500 yards in a crappy JUCO league does not equal expectations for a D-1 performance. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the spring game. I hope he does great things for Barney at UNLV but he was at best 5th on the depth chart here. With the young depth we have at DT, it may be tough to land a top DT this year and DT is probably the toughest position to recruit. We've got the DEs on the way.

Really HTO? I must have missed the big influx of big time commits we have had over the past two months. Please do tell me where I should go to find the recruiting momentum you say exists? And don't point me at fantasy lists of guys we are "in on". I have been a follower of this board far too long to put any stock in the opinions of insiders, including yours. I am a results oriented guy. And as much as I disliked Bo, he went 9-4 or 10-3 every year. Riley? A respectable OSU like 5-7. Thud. And all I see lately in recruiting are near misses. I see no difference makers committing lately. And if by signing day we end up around 25th I will come on here and HAPPILY EAT CROW. But I have suffered through too much Husker mediocrity since 2001 to put up with any more sunshine pumping. If Riley brings in the recruits and turns us around next year you won't find anyone happier than me. But right now all I see is 5-7 and a recruiting ranking in the 40's. And until that changes I don't care what you or any other sunshine pumper has to say. I will believe it when I see results. Period

Yes, really.

I couldn't give 2 shits less who you put stock in and who you don't. Momentum isn't exclusive to commitments, but go ahead and continue living in your ignorant fantasy world.

Where do I begin? You're talking about one season. One good season in the last 8 or so... Way to cherry pick. So I take it moving forward we should do it like Iowa and fill our class with 2 and 3 stars so that once a decade we can have a Pelini like season and once in a lifetime have an undefeated season.

Seriously, if you are fine with filling a class with 2 and 3 star recruits by October so that the class can be locked up then support Iowa. You seem to have a hard on for them anyway. Otherwise let the coaches finish the recruiting cycle and judge them afterwards. Anybody who follows recruiting at all recognizes that many of the top players don't commit in August and September...

To your question about he coaches looking for a DL, I'm sure they haven't even thought of that. :confused:

I am curious what the coaches should do... Get these 2 and 3 star caliber Iowa recruits now or attempt to get higher rated recruits later... Seriously. What should the coaches be doing o wise one? What's your solution?

Sounds like QA may have flipped to Pitt. Somebody want to spin that into something positive?

If that is true about QA I can only hope the coaches have someone better in line... That's the positive spin. Lots of negative spin out there though, which would be justified if we don't replace him with an equally talented player...

Edit: I wonder what the story is... Why the flip? Closer to home? Would be curious, but does have that feel that we let one get away.

One thing I will say... Flipping happens all the time everywhere. This could be just one of those flips. (This would be another positive spin.)

Reactions: baseball31ne
Yes, really.

I couldn't give 2 shits less who you put stock in and who you don't. Momentum isn't exclusive to commitments, but go ahead and continue living in your ignorant fantasy world.

I don't care either whether you give "two shits" about anything. And I guess you don't really read posts for understanding before you respond in your usual snarky ways. I understand quite well that recruiting momentum involves more than commitments. I think everyone on this board gets that. But go ahead and miss my point. As I said in my post ... I don't live in the fantasy world of "board insider'" detailed knowledge of what recruits we "are in on". Lol. That is so often wrong it is laughable. I specifically pointed out in my post that such "insider info" is useless since it is so often wrong. So this "momentum" you speak of is based precisely on the kind of insider info on who we are "in on" that is just chat board flatulence. The FACT is our recruiting class right now is exactly where it would be even if Pelini were still here. And even if we are "better organized" now, that 5-7 record, whether you want to admit it or not, is hurting us. So go ahead and pump yourself some sunshine kool aid. I don't give two shits. Maybe our recruiting will end well and maybe it won't. But I do know one thing. You certainly don't know how it will turn out either. Nobody on here does. So those of us on here who are worried about our recruiting have just as much legitimacy as your sunshine pumping does.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncaalover12
I don't care either whether you give "two shits" about anything. And I guess you don't really read posts for understanding before you respond in your usual snarky ways. I understand quite well that recruiting momentum involves more than commitments. I think everyone on this board gets that. But go ahead and miss my point. As I said in my post ... I don't live in the fantasy world of "board insider'" detailed knowledge of what recruits we "are in on". Lol. That is so often wrong it is laughable. I specifically pointed out in my post that such "insider info" is useless since it is so often wrong. So this "momentum" you speak of is based precisely on the kind of insider info on who we are "in on" that is just chat board flatulence. The FACT is our recruiting class right now is exactly where it would be even if Pelini were still here. And even if we are "better organized" now, that 5-7 record, whether you want to admit it or not, is hurting us. So go ahead and pump yourself some sunshine kool aid. I don't give two shits. Maybe our recruiting will end well and maybe it won't. But I do know one thing. You certainly don't know how it will turn out either. Nobody on here does. So those of us on here who are worried about our recruiting have just as much legitimacy as your sunshine pumping does.
Go ahead and list all the wrong recruiting info I've shared on this forum. I've been a member for 11 years, so this shouldn't be too difficult.

Patient grasshopper is waiting.

A bad offer is a bad offer. You pumped your chest at the amount of P5 offers our commits have which means nothing when it's the bottom tier schools. And yes, Grim was actually looking at Sac State before we offered. Notice he committed without a visit, that could very well show he was desperate for an offer from a big name school.

So you don't think Grim is a great prospect? What are your thoughts on how Grim will fit into Riley's offensively philosophy?

And yes, Grim was actually looking at Sac State before we offered. Notice he committed without a visit, that could very well show he was desperate for an offer from a big name school.

False.

Grimm was committed to Boise State before Nebraska got in the picture.

Grimm committed to Nebraska AFTER (technically during) his visit to Nebraska, not before.

Reactions: timnsun
Not taking sides on any post argument or the class as a whole. But Grim seems to fit that DPE role to me. Not saying he is DPE already but has that potential. See him a as slot receiver and return guy. Remember DPE was a three Starr without a ton of fan fair coming in. IMO. GBR.

False.

Grimm was committed to Boise State before Nebraska got in the picture.

Grimm committed to Nebraska AFTER (technically during) his visit to Nebraska, not before.

Sorry FTO. I should also point out before he received his Boise State offer too. Sac State had a legit shot at him before those 2 offers. My meaning is that before us and Boise came a calling, he's really looking at some lower level schools and was not really on the radar for anyone.

As far as his commit, I had heard a rumor that he committed the second he received the offer, notice it was like 2 weeks before he committed and visited, and that MR wanted him to visit first before he accepted the offer. You know more than me so, you tell me. I don't have your insider connections. Just what I herd. May not be 100% correct and just a rumor but this is a chat board not a newspaper. Maybe I shouldn't have referenced a rumor, oh well. I did, big guy.

Last edited:
So you don't think Grim is a great prospect? What are your thoughts on how Grim will fit into Riley's offensively philosophy?
I think he's a risk. He's a smaller WR than what I'd like to see. It's ok to have a shorter guy in the slot but seems like we have plenty of these types on the roster already. Could really use a big body WR...Other thing that seems questionable is Grim camped at rivals and didn't turn anyone's heads. Maybe he had a bad day. All seems risky and red flags on him every where. I just like to minimize risk factor.

And I am not delusional. I know that Riley has to take some chances right now in recruiting. He isn't the type to sell hot water to people in hell. So he has to take some guys he thinks he can develop that most would call "reaches". Just seems like he's taking a bunch of these guys and more will be coming. Cause the list of his "highly recruited amazing late commits" is starting to deplete with nothing but panic left to show for it.

Last edited:
Sorry FTO. I should also point out before he received his Boise State offer too. Sac State had a legit shot at him before those 2 offers. My meaning is that before us and Boise came a calling, he's really looking at some lower level schools and was not really on the radar for anyone.

As far as his commit, I had heard a rumor that he committed the second he received the offer, notice it was like 2 weeks before he committed and visited, and that MR wanted him to visit first before he accepted the offer. You know more than me so, you tell me. I don't have your insider connections. Just what I herd. May not be 100% correct and just a rumor but this is a chat board not a newspaper. Maybe I shouldn't have referenced a rumor, oh well. I did, big guy.

Boise offered at the end of his junior year, and he accepted early that spring. A prospect, in his junior year, wasn't on the radar for anyone? You act like that's exclusive to Grimm and not other guys, including R250 prospects. I'll give you one, Patrick O'Brien, nobody was interested in him till spring ball at the end of his junior year where schools watched him work out.

Yeah, I had heard that too, never could verify it though. As it got closer to his visit date, the word I got was hes' N as long as he liked the campus.

Fill this out pronto, tough guy...

attachment.php

I think he's a risk. He's a smaller WR than what I'd like to see. It's ok to have a shorter guy in the slot but seems like we have plenty of these types on the roster already. Could really use a big body WR...Other thing that seems questionable is Grim camped at rivals and didn't turn anyone's heads. Maybe he had a bad day. All seems risky and red flags on him every where. I just like to minimize risk factor.

And I am not delusional. I know that Riley has to take some chances right now in recruiting. He isn't the type to sell hot water to people in hell. So he has to take some guys he thinks he can develop that most would call "reaches". Just seems like he's taking a bunch of these guys and more will be coming. Cause the list of his "highly recruited amazing late commits" is starting to deplete with nothing but panic left to show for it.

With the uncertainty surrounding DPE I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute immediately next year.

We are going to need more than 10 new recruits since it looks like there are some players who may drop out of the program because of grade issues. Pelini, though got some of his best players right before the end of recruiting. We will see how Riley does when the pressure is on.
But hey, at least we got a nice guy for a coach. Does anybody watch last weeks Last Man Standing. It tells you what kind of coach is the best for his players.

Grim is 20 lbs heavier and 11/2" taller than DPE was coming out of HS. According to their profile s. Just a fact not say I g he is that good or will ever be. But he is bigger than DPE. The kid from Minnesota is the smaller of the two WR recruits.

We are going to need more than 10 new recruits since it looks like there are some players who may drop out of the program because of grade issues. Pelini, though got some of his best players right before the end of recruiting. We will see how Riley does when the pressure is on.
But hey, at least we got a nice guy for a coach. Does anybody watch last weeks Last Man Standing. It tells you what kind of coach is the best for his players.
You can't drop this without naming Pelini's best players... Please give examples.

You can't drop this without naming Pelini's best players... Please give examples.

2011 - Ameer Abdullah - 3 star
Todd Peat - 4 star
2012 - Imani Cross 3 star
Avery Moss 3 star
Alonzo Moore 4 star
2013 - Chongo Kondolo 3 star
Boaz Joseph 3 star
Cethan Carter 3 star
Maliek Collins 3 star
Kevin Maurice 3 star
2014 - Sedrick King 3 star
AJ Bush 2 star
Nick Gates 4 star
Mikale Wilbon 4 star
Chris Jones 3 star

This is just good players who commited to Nebraska after New Years and before LOI signing day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT