ADVERTISEMENT

39 days since our last verbal (non-kickers)

HuskerAlum92

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 8, 2007
39 days since our last verbal (yes, I ignored the kicker)
21 days since our season ended

We supposedly have another 10 schollies or so hand out, but there's been no action for ~6 weeks. Crickets. That's about how much time we have until NSD, and a good chunk of that is dead period. And during most of these last 6 weeks our coaches have had time to fly around, and players have been available for OVs. But now we are into the dead period.

My cowbell is getting anxious.

Was so glad you started this thread, that way I didn't have to. It's been at least three days since the last recruiting thread for uptight people was started...

We supposedly have another 10 schollies or so hand out, but there's been no action for ~6 weeks. Crickets. That's about how much time we have until NSD, and a good chunk of that is dead period. And during most of these last 6 weeks our coaches have had time to fly around, and players have been available for OVs. But now we are into the dead period.

Grasshopper, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, we will get another recruit.

If I have learned 1 thing the last 8 years, it is that its the fans fault whenever something that could be construed as negative happens. You should jump off a cliff, and then maybe things will improve.

Since nobody else wanted to chat about recruiting - just make fun of you - I'll discuss it. Looks like we may miss on Reese, as he's supposedly leaning toward Florida. Thought we had a chance with Chandler, but ASU whipped us again. We get a lot of interest but nobody really jumping on the Riley train lately. We have a nice nucleus of recruits, but I would like to see Hughes get his hind-end in gear and find a DT or two. If none this yr, we will be in trouble before you know it. I hope Farniok says yes, but it looks like a nail-biter to the wire between us and Iowa. Fitzpatrick is a probable right now, but who knows - a lot can change in a hurry. What's your thoughts?

Slow and steady wins the race.

Since nobody else wanted to chat about recruiting - just make fun of you - I'll discuss it. Looks like we may miss on Reese, as he's supposedly leaning toward Florida. Thought we had a chance with Chandler, but ASU whipped us again. We get a lot of interest but nobody really jumping on the Riley train lately. We have a nice nucleus of recruits, but I would like to see Hughes get his hind-end in gear and find a DT or two. If none this yr, we will be in trouble before you know it. I hope Farniok says yes, but it looks like a nail-biter to the wire between us and Iowa. Fitzpatrick is a probable right now, but who knows - a lot can change in a hurry. What's your thoughts?

I thought we were going to get Chandler. Then I thought we were going to get Simmons. Then I thought we were going to get Reese. My concern with Fitz and Butler (and Lamar Jackson) is that some interest was stoked by the package deal scenario. With that off the table, maybe they cool on us. I hate to say it, but if I am Farniok I would probably choose Iowa.

There's a chance we don't land anybody that we're talking about. I could then see Keyshawn Jr taking his talents and crew elsewhere because, as Keyshawn Sr said, the primary concern with Nebraska is whether Riley can recruit here.

I understand we are high on the list of several highly regarded recruits. But this ain't horseshoes or hand grenades. Finishing a close second is worth nothing.

But hopefully we get at least some of these guys.

I thought we were going to get Chandler. Then I thought we were going to get Simmons. Then I thought we were going to get Reese. My concern with Fitz and Butler (and Lamar Jackson) is that some interest was stoked by the package deal scenario. With that off the table, maybe they cool on us. I hate to say it, but if I am Farniok I would probably choose Iowa.

There's a chance we don't land anybody that we're talking about. I could then see Keyshawn Jr taking his talents and crew elsewhere because, as Keyshawn Sr said, the primary concern with Nebraska is whether Riley can recruit here.

I understand we are high on the list of several highly regarded recruits. But this ain't horseshoes or hand grenades. Finishing a close second is worth nothing.

You seem to worry a lot.

Why would you chose Iowa? They had their good year, and won't have another one for 4-6 years. That's Iowas cycle. Plus it's Iowa.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Why would you chose Iowa? They had their good year, and won't have another one for 4-6 years. That's Iowas cycle. Plus it's Iowa.

Primarily because they have a proven track record with developing OL for the NFL, with the coaching staff in place that's also not on the hot seat. There's also a history of SD players doing well at Iowa. And it's still plenty close for mom and pops to drive to your home games and plenty of your road games too.

Actually I think the OP has a point. I am willing to wait until signing day to render judgement on this class. But it is also true that so far our class is underwhelming and short on numbers. Now, we could be "in" on some top notch recruits, and the big board insider gurus like HTO seem confident we will end well. But I am not an insider and HTO is not always correct so I am nervous. Riley has to prove himself and so far it is not that impressive. Sorry, it just isn't. We keep hearing promises of good things to come. We keep hearing how this staff is so much better than the last one. But so far this looks like a class Pelini could put together. Yawn

The OP just gives some facts, so I don't think it's anything to get upset about, but the staff seems to be working hard on the recruiting trail.. the problem is the win loss record doesn't look so hot.. That's on the coaching staff, and to think it doesn't impact recruiting is foolish. Yes, most of the losses were by just a couple points, last play of the game stuff, but that record hurts us. Going forward, the coaching staff can't afford more square peg/round hole stuff. They need to get on with their system immediately.

OU, Georgia, Texas, K-State, Clemson, and USC are just some of the schools who have taken fewer recruits so far this year. You don't want to move away from talented kids to less talented ones just to make your class full now.

Patience...grasshopper.

Reactions: timnsun
Poljan got a Mich St offer this morning.....he was a likely commit. Now, probably headed to Spartans.
We have no way of knowing that OR if he or Reese would ever play a snap for the Huskers if they did sign here. I don't necessarily see difference makers when I look at those two kids but there is no way to know. I'll judge this class about 2 and a half years from now.

Maybe they are still Iowa.... Granted we are not as good at OL in the league, but we have quite a few that have done rather well... The point at hand is it's Iowa... enough said.
Or maybe the point is Iowa has comparable athletes to us, yet did a lot more than we did -rising to #5 in the nation and going 12-0. That is because of superior coaching, which is what recruits take a long, hard look at when considering a school. Also, their recruiting is going much better than ours. They are almost full in their class.

We have no way of knowing that OR if he or Reese would ever play a snap for the Huskers if they did sign here. I don't necessarily see difference makers when I look at those two kids but there is no way to know. I'll judge this class about 2 and a half years from now.
Yeah...not big losses there if they do go somewhere else. The key for us is getting kids who are a solid supporting cast with a couple of difference makers on both sides of the ball. We won't recruit like Alabama but need a couple of kids to turn into flat-out studs.

Or maybe the point is Iowa has comparable athletes to us, yet did a lot more than we did -rising to #5 in the nation and going 12-0. That is because of superior coaching, which is what recruits take a long, hard look at when considering a school. Also, their recruiting is going much better than ours. They are almost full in their class.
Who cares about being full? We are about a half a star ranking per player ahead of them (2.83 to 3.21). I would be flipping out (in a bad way) if Riley brought in Iowa's class.

Reactions: HuskerInIowa
I'll ask again and again...what about the players on board is underwhelming? I keep seeing people say that the class is underwhelming. Who? Why? Explain yourselves. The numbers will go up but what don't you like about he class right now other than it being short on numbers?

Oh it is?

I'll ask again and again...what about the players on board is underwhelming? I keep seeing people say that the class is underwhelming. Who? Why? Explain yourselves. The numbers will go up but what don't you like about he class right now other than it being short on numbers?
ive got a scar on my forehead right now... Beat it against the wall too much.

Don't you realize current ranking predicts final ranking? Just look at ssmill77, Iowa is recruiting much better cuz they're full. How can you argue against that? And besides, we offered a punter...

I also think we should stop offering players other P5 schools offer as well. As soon as other schools offer, these commits forget about Nebraska and take the other offer. Poljan and Reese have proven that once again. If we just offer guys without other P5 offers we would be full right now and everything would be rosy.

:rolleyes:o_O:oops::confused::mad:Sick

OU, Georgia, Texas, K-State, Clemson, and USC are just some of the schools who have taken fewer recruits so far this year. You don't want to move away from talented kids to less talented ones just to make your class full now.

Patience...grasshopper.

I agree that you don't want to sacrifice quality. You don't get any bonus points for filling up quicker than someone else. But what we have set up here is a high stakes game of chicken. And the chances of us being roadkill are higher than I would like. I like that we are going after some studs, and there is reciprocal interest. But it's a dangerous game waiting until the last minute for these guys when they are also considering some top notch alternatives.

ive got a scar on my forehead right now... Beat it against the wall too much.

Don't you realize current ranking predicts final ranking? Just look at ssmill77, Iowa is recruiting much better cuz they're full. How can you argue against that? And besides, we offered a punter...

I also think we should stop offering players other P5 schools offer as well. As soon as other schools offer, these commits forget about Nebraska and take the other offer. Poljan and Reese have proven that once again. If we just offer guys without other P5 offers we would be full right now and everything would be rosy.

Yep.. Currently, OU, Texas and a few other perennial recruiters are being out recruited by Iowa and Oregon State according to the rivals ratings.. ssmill is right.. Better listen, he has the answers.

Surely you're joking.

For starters, majority of their offer lists. Gotta love recruiting against Sacramento St, North Dakota St, UNLV, Indiana, Ball State, etc...

Outside of Alexander and Dismuke, which other Riley commits really show great offers? POB probably has more that aren't listed since he committed before his name really took off . Maybe all of them do. Maybe they wanted to report their Sacamento St offer but not report their Bama offers, I don't know. Offer list is a key evaluation to me in recruiting. So is visit lists. It's not everything but it's mos def leading indicators.

Notice the top tier school's commits and those commits offer and vist lists. Doesn't look anything like ours? I mean if NU hired Riley to mediocre / 25-35 top rank program. It's probably on track to do that. I was just hoping for me. That's probably where the issue lies. Archie I guess your goal is 8-5 football, mine is higher. Our commits are solid, just not elite.

I agree that you don't want to sacrifice quality. You don't get any bonus points for filling up quicker than someone else. But what we have set up here is a high stakes game of chicken. And the chances of us being roadkill are higher than I would like. I like that we are going after some studs, and there is reciprocal interest. But it's a dangerous game waiting until the last minute for these guys when they are also considering some top notch alternatives.
If Nebraska wants to change and get back in with the big dogs of college football this is how it's gonna happen. We have to have these games of chicken. We will win some and lose some, but if we are too scared to participate in this game of chicken nothing will change.

Would you feel better if we were at 21 recruits now but the last 5 were 2-3 star? I know I wouldn't. Might it end up that way? Sure, it might, but on the other hand we may close strong with 3-4 star talent that will begin to build something here.

We have to play chicken and not blink.

This is nonsense. When you compete for outstanding players there is big time company and decisions come later. You either compete for talent or you don't.

If Nebraska wants to change and get back in with the big dogs of college football this is how it's gonna happen. We have to have these games of chicken. We will win some and lose some, but if we are too scared to participate in this game of chicken nothing will change.

Would you feel better if we were at 21 recruits now but the last 5 were 2-3 star? I know I wouldn't. Might it end up that way? Sure, it might, but on the other hand we may close strong with 3-4 star talent that will begin to build something here.

We have to play chicken and not blink.

I agree completely. If we want to get back on top, we have to play this game. And in the set of potential outcomes, there several positive possibilities. The negative potentials are becoming more of a concern for me though. This is probably because I anticipated some activity between Thanksgiving and start of dead period, but nothing happened. Instead, we lost out on some prospects that we were supposedly in great shape with.

Reactions: timnsun
I just get tired of people talking out of both sides of their mouth (not you, huskeralum92). Too many on here complain that we have offers out to recruits not recruited by power 5 schools. The same damn people also complain that we have offers out to players recruited by other P5 schools, and 1 of 2 things will happen in those situations... Either they wait to commit and these people complain that we haven't gotten a commit recently or they complain that the recruit will take a better offer.

How is that giving the coaches a chance? They're already judged by so many on this board when there is still a month and a half to go and a lot of good recruits with Nebraska high on their list.

All I ask is for people to quit talking out of both sides of their mouth. Quit bitching that others have not been offered from P5 schools and be patient because we have a lot of offers out to players recruited by P5 schools the rest of the way, meaning we have to wait til February to see where we finish. Can't have it both ways.

Again, not directed at OP, many others have made it clear that the only thing that will satisfy them is to get 4 star talent committed and get it committed now. But Nebraska doesn't have that kind of pull anymore. We aren't bama, Ohio state, etc, who have their top talent offers out there accepted right away.

Some angst in recruiting this year is warranted. Boyd just verified that our performance/talent level is down. MR & Co are not proven recruiters.
Will they get it done now that they're at a blue-blood program? Who knows...all we know for sure is that we're checking in at #43 today.

Reactions: TheBeav815
This is nonsense. When you compete for outstanding players there is big time company and decisions come later. You either compete for talent or you don't.

What is nonsense? The point is that those decisions may not go our way, and that would not be good.

Some angst in recruiting this year is warranted. Boyd just verified that our performance/talent level is down. MR & Co are not proven recruiters.
Will they get it done now that they're at a blue-blood program? Who knows...all we know for sure is that we're checking in at #43 today.
Exhibit A, huskeralum92.

Tell me, KC, would you rather the coaches just fill the class with bodies so our ranking is higher for right now? Serious question here...

Don't you see that the recruits we are in on aren't making decisions right now? If we panic and simply fill the class we will have a bump in recruiting ranking for now but that's it. Like I posted earlier, if we want better recruits, we have to play chicken with some big dogs. Or we could play it safe and offer people we know will accept but aren't the difference makers that can help us rebuild. This is why so many are preaching patience.

Reactions: dinglefritz
For starters, majority of their offer lists. Gotta love recruiting against Sacramento St, North Dakota St, UNLV, Indiana, Ball State, etc...

Outside of Alexander and Dismuke, which other Riley commits really show great offers? POB probably has more that aren't listed since he committed before his name really took off . Maybe all of them do. Maybe they wanted to report their Sacamento St offer but not report their Bama offers, I don't know. Offer list is a key evaluation to me in recruiting. So is visit lists. It's not everything but it's mos def leading indicators.

Notice the top tier school's commits and those commits offer and vist lists. Doesn't look anything like ours? I mean if NU hired Riley to mediocre / 25-35 top rank program. It's probably on track to do that. I was just hoping for me. That's probably where the issue lies. Archie I guess your goal is 8-5 football, mine is higher. Our commits are solid, just not elite.

P5 offers reported

Alexander 16
Bootle 2
Brokop 9
Bryant 9
Dismuke 7
Domann 8 (Gatorade POY)
Grim 1 (CA State record for TDs)
O'Brien 2 (WAY more if not committed early)
Raridon 11
Simmons 6
Spielman 4 (Gatorade POY)
Stille 2
Stoll 3
Wilson 5

Suggesting that Alexander and Dismuke are the only major talents in this class illustrates you literally have no clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: dinglefritz
What is nonsense? The point is that those decisions may not go our way, and that would not be good.

There isn't an alternative We have a strong class going right now but if we want to close on big time prospects you have to go late in the recruiting season. The difference is our staff has legit back-up plans for a number of these positions in the event that we don't hit on some of these guys - just like all programs that are competing for big names.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT