ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team Playoff

To me, that is the best part of the whole playoff...you find a way to win your conference based on whatever your conference rule is...and you get to the playoff. I see it as a feature not a bug.
To each his own.

I think it's silly that you can have an average season (4 losses even), but because you're in a weak division, with 1 game you can still make the playoffs & take the place of a team that had a better season, played a tougher schedule, was in a tougher division/conference, etc.

Reactions: Dean Pope
By the time we get this playoff going the top 2 teams in the conference will be playing in the CCG..

No longer divisions to have 8-4 division winner against 11-1 division winner..
I think (and hope) you're right.

If that's the case, then of course that changes my thoughts. Until that change is completely implemented though...

I remember this happening my senior year of high school in fall of 82. Playoff took the 6 district champions and the next 2 wild card teams based on points. We had higher points than 4 district champions IIRC but were 3rd in wild card points. Only loss was to our district champ and eventual state champions. And yes they were good.....Lawrence
Man, what a bummer way to end your senior season.

Way before my time, but yes, Lawrence destroyed everyone in the '82 playoffs. Average score, 58-9

Man, what a bummer way to end your senior season.

Way before my time, but yes, Lawrence destroyed everyone in the '82 playoffs. Average score, 58-9
They had 3 touchdowns on us in the first quarter I think. Man that was proof that speed kills. Our line averaged right at 200 lbs and they were around 175. Doesn't matter if you can't catch them. Let them get the corner and they were gone!!
Bunch of great guys on that team and I applaud them 👏.

Reactions: HuskerO
They don't really matter at all now. The biggest farce is that All games matter in college football....yeah, 8-3 Purdue vs 8-3 indiana doesn't matter, but if one has a chance to make their conference championship game...it is a big deal in a playoff with automatic bids for conference champs.
You're making some great points. I just disagree. Maybe I'm just being a sentimental sap, but I think Purdue and Indiana matters because it's an in-state rivalry. You can also find 80,000 Husker fans who show up at every home game regardless of how poorly the team has played. It still matters to them.

And I'm not sure anyone has said that "all games matter in college football" when it comes to the playoff expansion argument, but what used to happen was that losing one game in the regular season typically knocked a team out of national championship contention. Maybe if a team lost early enough, they still had hope.

The thing that limits the amount of play off teams is the number of rounds required. In football you obviously can't have as many games in a short window as you can in other sports like basketball, volleyball, etc. because you just need more time between games. 8 or 12 is about the max that can be handled IMO when you have conferences. But you also don't need more if you have conference champion plus a spot or two for independents or a couple of strong conference runner ups.

Today on a national radio show two guys were discussing how the upcoming 12-team playoff will, in their opinion, be expanded more after 2026. Because a 9-3 SEC team will be left out by a perceived less deserving team from another conference.

Their main point was then expanding it more would take away from CFB's regular season, in their words what makes it different than other sports.

What the F do they think is already happening?

4 TEAMS IS ENOUGH.
NO ONE OUTSIDE THE TOP 4 DESERVES A NATIONAL TITLE SHOT ANYWAY.
JUST DON'T LOSE ANY GAMES.

Plus, winning four additional games for the NC is a joke. Programs with most depth will win, period. That is not what the sport is meant to be.

Unfortunately these decisions are made by people who only care about money, not CFB tradition. If no one sticks up for tradition the game will be ruined even more. And likely will be. Just a minor league, NFL-lite sideshow.
While there are good arguments for expanding playoffs, "someone will be left out if the number of teams invited is 'X' " is not one of them.

Someone will always be left out, whether the playoff bracket is 2 teams or 100 teams.

Evidence: the amount of whining done every March about teams that got 'snubbed' not making the tourney.

Reactions: king_kong_
To each his own.

I think it's silly that you can have an average season (4 losses even), but because you're in a weak division, with 1 game you can still make the playoffs & take the place of a team that had a better season, played a tougher schedule, was in a tougher division/conference, etc.
The problem is we might perceive that one team had a harder schedule and played in a tougher division...but the team that went 9-3 might just have had the harder road...it is just so tough to tell which divisions are weak and which are tough because so few teams play interconference and there are sometimes few interdivisional games.

One year, you could have a 9-3 Alabama and the rest of its division is 9-3 or worse and then they play a 12-0 Georgia that also has a 11-1 Florida in its division...on the face, it looks like georgia and Florida are the better teams, but if Bama's division had a bunch of solid teams, the record could be worse but in the end they are better.

I like scenarios where teams know what they need to do to get to their conference championship...in the fuutre of the big ten, there will be a year where three teams could go undefeated and yet one won't make the conference championship game....and that might be end of being the best team, who ends up not having a shot at the conference title. At least with Divsions, teams end up in a collision course to play each other....

I have no problems if they were to shake up the divisions...and even if they did it yearly or every other year based on the previous four years results...but when you get big enough in a conference that no all teams play each other...it makes it very easy to leave out a team because you didn't set it up for teams to eliminate other teams through divisional play throughout the year.

So, Tom agrees with me. Go to 41:00 in this clip. Mainly due to depth and injuries, my first point. And that if you aren't picked in a top 4 then you don't deserve a shot anyway, you clearly are not the best team. But what does he know? (Sarc)

T.O.
Too many want more than 4 teams so it’s going to be 12 the top 4 get byes.

With that being said I think the conference CG needs to go away.. If the 2 best teams are at the end so be it.

Why do they need to play CCG too.

Every week there are upsets in the top 25, right up to the end of the season, often in bowls, and even in the playoffs (currently more of an invitational than a playoff). The only thing we know for 100% certainty is the rankings at any given time are wrong. So I am for any plan that moves away from voting and towards settling who the best team is on the field.

Every week there are upsets in the top 25, right up to the end of the season, often in bowls, and even in the playoffs (currently more of an invitational than a playoff). The only thing we know for 100% certainty is the rankings at any given time are wrong. So I am for any plan that moves away from voting and towards settling who the best team is on the field.
Then don't lose.

The expansion of the playoffs is not to find the best team, it is to make more money. Period.

In a decade CFB will basically be an NFL D-league, copying it in every way. I have come to terms with it already. Everyone else should too. Shame.

Last edited:
Too many want more than 4 teams so it’s going to be 12 the top 4 get byes.

With that being said I think the conference CG needs to go away.. If the 2 best teams are at the end so be it.

Why do they need to play CCG too.
How do you determine a conference champ and who gets the automatic bid and the potential bye? Currently, it is the top four conference champions that get the bye

How do you determine a conference champ and who gets the automatic bid and the potential bye? Currently, it is the top four conference champions that get the bye
You make a good point providing there will be 4 major conferences… B1G, SEC, ACC and Big 12 good chance 2 of the 4 are not the top 4 teams that don’t deserve to be seated that high…

I’m fine with the 4 Conference champions but not all would be rated in the top 4..

Does it make any sense if Michigan and Ohio St play at seasons end and in the CCG when their both in the 12 team playoff anyway..

Just giving an example..

the correct number of playoff teams, of course, is six

top 2 get byes
seeds 3-4 get home games round 1

4 power conf champs + 2 wild cards

any more is gilding the lily

In a decade CFB will basically be an NFL D-league, copying it in every way. I have come to terms with it already. Everyone else should too. Shame.

So true and so unfortunate. Biggest thing they're screwing up is taking away all of the old traditional rivalries. That was the one thing that NCAA had over NFL. The more this whole realignment thing removes that, the closer it gets to minor league football which will just be that. Not a lot of demand for a B level product and the money guys making these decisions aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

Reactions: 8990
So true and so unfortunate. Biggest thing they're screwing up is taking away all of the old traditional rivalries. That was the one thing that NCAA had over NFL. The more this whole realignment thing removes that, the closer it gets to minor league football which will just be that. Not a lot of demand for a B level product and the money guys making these decisions aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

Some old rivals will die but new ones will be born. I question how much most of America cares about the Apple Cup...Or Oregon amd Oregon State...or some old bucket. Yes it means something to a few states but I think the excitement of Michigan-Oregon and Ohio State and USC during the regular seaaon offsets those smaller rivals we lose.

I don't like it. Don't get me wrong...but I don't think CFB is going anywhere.

wong kong
michigan & ohio state have both had coaches suspended for multiple games recently for actually, willfully cheating and then lying about it

can you tell me how many SEC coaches have had to watch from the sideline for multiple games for cheating?

or are you just like everyone else parroting fake news because they don't like watching superior football for some reason?

michigan & ohio state have both had coaches suspended for multiple games recently for actually, willfully cheating and then lying about it

can you tell me how many SEC coaches have had to watch from the sideline for multiple games for cheating?

or are you just like everyone else parroting fake news because they don't like watching superior football for some reason?
dont change the narrative. sec has had so many bag men running up and down the roads in the southeastern united states in the past 20 years those states have had to build multiple new highways. it's become a modern art form.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
dont change the narrative. sec has had so many bag men running up and down the roads in the southeastern united states in the past 20 years those states have had to build multiple new highways. it's become a modern art form.
that's alleged, and in today's game not illegal

the actual cheating that's been proven resides at the top of our terrible, non-competitive conference

sad look, fella. be better.

It will be sick (in the good way) when it goes to 16 teams.

4 pods, 4 teams in each. 1v4 and 2v3. filling out that bracket will be a freaking blast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT