ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team Playoff

First Team All-Big Ten
Jul 27, 2002
Today on a national radio show two guys were discussing how the upcoming 12-team playoff will, in their opinion, be expanded more after 2026. Because a 9-3 SEC team will be left out by a perceived less deserving team from another conference.

Their main point was then expanding it more would take away from CFB's regular season, in their words what makes it different than other sports.

What the F do they think is already happening?

4 TEAMS IS ENOUGH.
NO ONE OUTSIDE THE TOP 4 DESERVES A NATIONAL TITLE SHOT ANYWAY.
JUST DON'T LOSE ANY GAMES.

Plus, winning four additional games for the NC is a joke. Programs with most depth will win, period. That is not what the sport is meant to be.

Unfortunately these decisions are made by people who only care about money, not CFB tradition. If no one sticks up for tradition the game will be ruined even more. And likely will be. Just a minor league, NFL-lite sideshow.

That's what the entire regular season used to be. Lose one game and you were likely out of the race. No mulligans like in this wussy system. Every game counted, every week, for every team.
Strength of schedule will matter and will lead to some great regular season match-ups.

Reactions: huntered
The expanded playoff is long overdue and will be absolutely incredible for college football, gambling, revenue for countless businesses and sports fans in general. Dumb to think otherwise. And yes, the SEC will dominate that too, whether everyone whines about it or not.

Reactions: jkeb
That's what the entire regular season used to be. Lose one game and you were likely out of the race. No mulligans like in this wussy system. Every game counted, every week, for every team.
Yes but than there were those teams that had easy schedules which made it unfair

I can see both sides

Which is why I am one of the very few who championed the idea of 6 playoff teams

Regular season still means a lot for the top 2 seeds and their bye to the semifinals, more teams get to act like they belong

IMO a perfect blend of old/new

Reactions: arf_man
I can see both sides

Which is why I am one of the very few who championed the idea of 6 playoff teams

Regular season still means a lot for the top 2 seeds and their bye to the semifinals, more teams get to act like they belong

IMO a perfect blend of old/new
I would agree on 6 also. Even though 8 would mean no byes for anyone I just think anyone with more than 2 losses absolutely doesn’t deserve a chance and with 6 that would guarantee that.

I would agree on 6 also. Even though 8 would mean no byes for anyone I just think anyone with more than 2 losses absolutely doesn’t deserve a chance and with 6 that would guarantee that.
With these conferences additions and playing CCG, 2 losses will more likely be the norm starting in 2024..

6 is like 12. Why should teams get byes college football isn’t the NFL..

With these conferences additions and playing CCG, 2 losses will more likely be the norm starting in 2024..

6 is like 12. Why should teams get byes college football isn’t the NFL..
Why should there be any playoffs at all?

College football isn’t the NFL..

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
I agree. Nobody gets a bye that’s the way it should be.
Right? In a 12-teamer with the top 4 getting a bye, it's still creating a huge controversy between #4-#5.

Idc about a controversy between #8 & #9. You've clearly had too many losses if you're #9 whining about not getting the 8 spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Right? In a 12 teamer with the top 4 is still creating a huge controversy between #4-#5.

Idc about a controversy between #8 & #9. You've clearly had too many losses if you're #9 whining about not getting the 8 spot.
I agree until a #8 seed runs the table and credits getting a home game in the first round to that success. Not having to travel makes a big difference, more so when it's not a one-off situation; it's the first of potentially four games for the teams who play in the first round, and the last three won't be at home.

March Madness is awesome.

CFB Playoff Madness will be awesome.

It clearly will not stay at 12. It will get to 16 and it will be amazing.

I totally get the "but now the games don't count" stuff but really, unless you are a Husker fan and it is the mid 90's, the games don't count anyway.

The expanded playoff is long overdue and will be absolutely incredible for college football, gambling, revenue for countless businesses and sports fans in general. Dumb to think otherwise. And yes, the SEC will dominate that too, whether everyone whines about it or not.
Once they get to 16 (which they will for sure), filling out the "sheet" is going to be a blast, gambling on games will be a blast, watching the games will be a blase.

Reactions: jteten
Once they get to 16 (which they will for sure), filling out the "sheet" is going to be a blast, gambling on games will be a blast, watching the games will be a blase.
The revenue and excitement that comes in from the 12 team will be incredible. The brackets will be small but the engagement huge. Expanding it is inevitable. So much money to be made. And there will be upsets.

Before the bowl games the the playoff rankings at 13-16

13 Florida State 10-3
14 Oregon St 10-3
15 Oregon 10-3
16 Tulane 12-2

Utah and Kansas St were 8 & 9 with records of 10-4 one losing their CCG the other winning their CCG..

I agree, I loved the old classic bowl system. Play the 4 or 5 major bowls, let them vote for a number one national champ and argue about it until the following season.
The only way your beloved B1G has a chance is if they don’t play the games

That is for sure

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Pretty funny, but I'll ask the question in a different way. Why should there be byes in the CFP?
Why shouldn’t the #1 and #2 team get rewarded?

Why should finishing #8 be the same?

Same folks who say there should be a meaningful reg season & there should be CCGs also want zero reward for navigating the gauntlet?

Having byes makes the most sense. I have not seen and predict I will not see a sensible argument to the contrary, but, as always, my mind is open.

Last edited:

Same folks who say there should be a meaningful reg season & there should be CCGs also want zero reward for navigating the gauntlet?

Having byes makes the most sense. I have not seen and predict I will not see a sensible argument to the contrary, but, as always, my mind is open.
Were not just talking #1 and #2 here… #3 and #4 get them too.. So who is to say #4 is more deserving than #5 ? And #5 has to play a game the week before..

Is that open minded.😉

March Madness is awesome.

CFB Playoff Madness will be awesome.

It clearly will not stay at 12. It will get to 16 and it will be amazing.

I totally get the "but now the games don't count" stuff but really, unless you are a Husker fan and it is the mid 90's, the games don't count anyway.
Your last insult didn't make sense. Maybe try again.

Were not just talking #1 and #2 here… #3 and #4 get them too.. So who is to say #4 is more deserving than #5 ? And #5 has to play a game the week before..

Is that open minded.😉
With a 6 team playoff - what I’m talking about - only 1 & 2 would get byes

Seems like both the right number & a just reward to me

I agree about the 12 teamer

Your last insult didn't make sense. Maybe try again.
It wasn't an insult, we have just become a "typical team" the last 20 years or so, where a win or loss just doesn't matter like it once did.

Like, losing to ASU was SHOCKING...because of how good NU was...now, losing a game is like "Uggg, lame"

Hell, even seeing a betting line where NU was not favored was shocking.

I agree until a #8 seed runs the table and credits getting a home game in the first round to that success. Not having to travel makes a big difference, more so when it's not a one-off situation; it's the first of potentially four games for the teams who play in the first round, and the last three won't be at home.
I guess idk why the #8 seed would get a home game first round? At #8 you got the final spot, you don't get home field imo.

For the same reason why they started the playoffs. There's rarely ever a clear #1 & #2.

Why should finishing #12 be the same as #5?

You do get a reward for being #1. You're playing the #12 seed (or #8 in my perfect world).

My argument is just that the conferences are too different along with sos to have a clear #1-#4, #4-#6, etc, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT