ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team Playoff Qualifier Format Approved

Well the B1G, SEC, ACC and Big12 most likely will always be the 4 highest ranked conference champion's year in and year out..

True, but that’s for the byes, the top 4 seeds. But the top 5 conference champions are in, but number 5 doesn’t get a bye. That’s why I was confused for minute. I was operating with 5 power conferences (in my mind) when they said top 5 conference champions.

it depends how the p4 champions plus the g5 champion are ranked. notre dame has no preferred position. actually, it's in a bad place because it is not a p4 conference member for football unless the acc defines it differently going forward.
So what I’m getting at providing they beat one of the 2 teams that play for the ACC championship they would have to have no more than 2 losses..

ND could knock out the higher rated ACC team if they would lose the ACC CG..

Really did the SEC a solid by making no limits on conference bids and no reserved spot for the highest ranked G5 team. SEC usually starts with 4-6 teams in the preseason top 10 and then of course they all play each other and don’t get properly penalized for their losses. I’m thinking 4-5 SEC teams will be the norm, unfortunately.
Will SEC continue to only play 8 conference games?

Reactions: V-Doub
this year it would have looked like this. the winner could have easily come out of the first round. proving why the 4-team setup has been a fraud playoff.

FIRST ROUND

No. 12 Liberty at No. 5 Florida State

No. 9 Missouri at No. 8 Oregon

No. 11 Ole Miss at No. 6 Georgia

No. 10 Penn State at No. 7 Ohio State

QUARTERFINALS

Liberty-Florida State winner at No. 4 Alabama

Missouri-Oregon winner at No. 1 Michigan

Ole Miss-Georgia winner at No. 3 Texas

Penn State-Ohio State winner at No. 2 Washington
Wish they went to an 8 team playoff.

I hate seeing a Round 1 bye for any team.

This is a damn good day for college football and college football fans. There is no way to spin this negatively, so don’t try.
Round 1 byes for college football is stupid.

8 team playoff is best, but 16 is better than 12.

Reactions: huntered
Round 1 byes for college football is stupid.

8 team playoff is best, but 16 is better than 12.
it does reward a conference championship. that's noteworthy were it not for being decided in conference championship games rather than the season.

Reactions: huntered
it does reward a conference championship. that's noteworthy were it not for being decided in conference championship games rather than the season.
It does make CCG more valuable now that there are only 4 major conferences. When we had 5 it was going to cause major controversy like we saw this past season.

But if we had this playoff system back in 2003, #13 Kansas St beating #1 Oklahama in the Big12 CCG, would that have moved KSU into one of the top 4 spots for the playoff?

New TV contract coming will force them to play 9 conference games after the 2024 season..
According to Texas AD Chris Del Conte, the SEC will likely stick with 8 conference games in 2025:

"This led into Del Conte discussing the football scheduling formula for the SEC, one of the league’s hot-button issues in recent years. The question has been whether to remain with an eight-game conference schedule or move to a nine-game slate like other major leagues have done. The Longhorns’ first season in the SEC will feature an eight-game schedule, and Del Conte alluded to 2025 being more of the same.

'We have eight games scheduled right now.' Del Conte said. 'We’re working on going to a nine-game schedule, but we have a ways to go with that. I would say this year we have an eight-game schedule. The following year, we have another eight-game schedule. Then we’ll look at going into a nine-game conference schedule.'"

Chris Del Conte

Agree, 8 is the perfect number 5 P5 conference champion and 3 at large. Then there is no arguments . Know the big pissing match is going to be who gets 4 and the bye and who gets 5 and has to play.

Reactions: HuskerO
According to Texas AD Chris Del Conte, the SEC will likely stick with 8 conference games in 2025:

"This led into Del Conte discussing the football scheduling formula for the SEC, one of the league’s hot-button issues in recent years. The question has been whether to remain with an eight-game conference schedule or move to a nine-game slate like other major leagues have done. The Longhorns’ first season in the SEC will feature an eight-game schedule, and Del Conte alluded to 2025 being more of the same.

'We have eight games scheduled right now.' Del Conte said. 'We’re working on going to a nine-game schedule, but we have a ways to go with that. I would say this year we have an eight-game schedule. The following year, we have another eight-game schedule. Then we’ll look at going into a nine-game conference schedule.'"

Chris Del Conte
Well the new contract will begin with ESPN in 2026 than and I’ll guarantee you there will be too much money for them not too..

Reactions: phoenix4nu

8 teams with the top 4 seeds playing at home for the 1st round. But in the end, I’m just glad they finally did it. November is going to be nuts going forward as 20-25 teams jockey and play for those 12 spots.

wayward pines GIF

It does make CCG more valuable now that there are only 4 major conferences. When we had 5 it was going to cause major controversy like we saw this past season.

But if we had this playoff system back in 2003, #13 Kansas St beating #1 Oklahama in the Big12 CCG, would that have moved KSU into one of the top 4 spots for the playoff?
this format effectively bars Notre Dame from earning a bye

they could be 12-0, the #1 team in the country after the regular season and the highest seed they could earn is #5

Last edited:
this format effectively bars Notre Dame from earning a bye

they could be 12-0, the #1 team in the country after the regular season and the highest seed they could earn is #5
It’s been their choice not to join a conference even though they still have a foot in the door in the ACC so they can’t eat their cake and have ice cream too..

Would suck if you lose your CCG and then miss out on the bye. Would be better off not playing in the CCG and getting in as the third or maybe even fourth team in your conference.
Again you can’t have your cake and ice cream too..

Look at the CCG as playoff games now with no more divisions…

correct, as well as when they beat tcu last year. that's why i have never favored these conference championship games. in '98, it cost k-state a national championship game.

Reactions: HuskerO
correct, as well as when they beat tcu last year. that's why i have never favored these conference championship games. in '98, it cost k-state a national championship game.
Was that during your decade of dominance?

When was that anyway? I can never remember.

• Haha
Reactions: scarletred
Was that during your decade of dominance?

When was that anyway? I can never remember.
that was an in-state joke about dominating ku for a decade. i understand why you would be lost with it. today, by the way, the streak stands at 15-years and counting, so the decade thingy is out of order.

Last edited:
Sure wasn't KSUcks!
During that Decade of Dominance.
say what? that decade included '98, synder's best team with michael bishop which whipped N in manhattan. i was there.

i also vividly remember '97, when a N fan called your post game show and said something to the effect: i believe we give k-state too much credit, they're really not very good, nor is bill snyder. #3 N had just beaten #17 k-state in lincoln 56-26.

say what? that decade included '98, synder's best team with michael bishop which whipped N in manhattan. i was there.

i also vividly remember '97, when a N fan called your post game show and said something to the effect: i believe we give k-state too much credit, they're really not very good, nor is bill snyder.
KSUcks!
Always has.

Your attempted deflection of the, "Decade of Dominance," was cute. You guys had one good team, and it lost before it could even win a Conference title.

So dominant.

KSUcks!
Always has.

Your attempted deflection of the, "Decade of Dominance," was cute. You guys had one good team, and it lost before it could even win a Conference title.

So dominant.
come on, that's silly. state has three conference titles since N won their last. and state has had many good teams, including collin klien's which was ranked #1 in the bcs going into the final game of the year.

and once again, the "decade of dominance" was about ku nothing else. 15-years straight now over lil brother.

Last edited:

i also vividly remember '97, when a N fan called your post game show and said something to the effect: i believe we give k-state too much credit, they're really not very good, nor is bill snyder. #3 N had just beaten #17 k-state in lincoln 56-26.
Whipped? You were possibly going to get beat.... Again... until the no-call facemask. It was a great game, but whipped is comical. You power towels are pretty funny people.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
that was an in-state joke about dominating ku for a decade. i understand why you would be lost with it. today, by the way, the streak stands at 15-years and counting, so the decade thingy is out of order.
I just watched this video, puked a couple times, but I see much film of teams not KU. Even a snow tribute to something.

Bill Snyder was one of the greatest coaches ever, but his best team never won a Conference Title.

You change parameters everytime I try to argue with you .

You are an odd one I have read, and kind of liked.

The truth is,all I really remember is that you are a pretentions blowhard.

Good luck in your continued dominance of KU, like anyone real thought that was something to brag about.
the last vestige of a losing argument is ad hominem. but i'm glad you kind of like me.

the last vestige of a losing argument is ad hominem. but i'm glad you kind of like me.
Go back to italics, you were pretentious then, full on insuffurable now.

KSUcks, it just does, and my Father had land at Tuttle Creek, and it sucked too, Both lots.
KSU has never won anything that matters, which brings me to this question:

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

I still haven't heard anything about what they're going to do with bowl games . Maybe I missed it. But if you
i remember that as well, texas, right?
Yep 96. Over 1/2 of the football team had the flu. Texas threw it on 4th down and caught us sleeping

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT