ADVERTISEMENT

Zane Flores Recruitment Failure Confirmed

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
See article link below. In short, Frost and his clown show never showed interest, and it meant a lot when Oklahoma State did, so he remained loyal despite a late push by Matt Rhule.

I think Flores comes off looking good, by being loyal.

I think Rhule comes off looking good, by trying hard to fix a disaster he didn’t cause.

Frost? I think he comes off as an aloof dope, a pattern for him. The guy who famously blew off Joe Burrow misses again. His legacy is being a joke as a coach and recruiter. He never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Zane Flores article

See article link below. In short, Frost and his clown show never showed interest, and it meant a lot when Oklahoma State did, so he remained loyal despite a late push by Matt Rhule.

I think Rhule comes off looking good, by trying hard to fix a disaster he didn’t cause.

Frost? I think he comes off as an aloof dope, a pattern for him. The guy who famously blew off Joe Burrow misses again. His legacy is being a joke as a coach and recruiter. He never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Zane Flores article
Many of us including myself assumed There was something lacking with him when we didn’t offer. Turns out the guy who was lacking was the head coach. Sorry Zane. You shoulda been a Husker.

Good grief, Frost. From the article:

“Zane’s a big kid on controlling what you can control and don’t worry about what you can’t control,” said Mel. “He uses that a lot and, hey, if Nebraska wasn’t recruiting him he couldn’t control that. We learned in the recruiting process pretty quick that it’s pretty fun to go to a school where they want you.

“When Oklahoma State really showed that, he just kind of forgot about the rest of them and said this is where I’m going to go. He doesn’t like drama.”

Zane Flores article
Move on

Good grief, Frost. From the article:

“Zane’s a big kid on controlling what you can control and don’t worry about what you can’t control,” said Mel. “He uses that a lot and, hey, if Nebraska wasn’t recruiting him he couldn’t control that. We learned in the recruiting process pretty quick that it’s pretty fun to go to a school where they want you.

“When Oklahoma State really showed that, he just kind of forgot about the rest of them and said this is where I’m going to go. He doesn’t like drama.”
He may never see the field. Who knows

Zane Flores article
Does and will it matter when Dylan signs with us next year?? Some of you need to turn the page on enjoy or new coach and signing day. GBR

This was all absolutely Frost's fault and I hope Zane has a great time at OSU. That said, I'm not sure "loyal" is an attribute that anyone in big time college football cares about or considers anymore. It's not going to factor into anything from this point forward as far as playing time or compensation. I'm glad he did what he thinks is right for him, but if he turned down more $$ from Nebraska or anyone else in order to stay "loyal" then I have to question the decision. Who knows?

And Benji Ngoyi just signed with Iowa State. Same deal. Rhule tried to make up ground, but the kid stayed loyal.
Recruiting is all about relationships, and when Rhule took over and surveyed Frost’s work he must have been like, “WTF?”

I love our new staff, but Frost pissing away another tremendous opportunity doesn’t deserve to pass without comment. He doesn’t get off that easily.

“You think he’s better than what we got?” Sick

Last edited:
Sucks, but it will make enjoying a professional coach and staff that much better. And again, the program and a portion of the fanbase enabled this nonsense by not demanding the removal of Frost sooner.

Reactions: king_kong_
frost was butthurt after trev grounded him so he moped around while some nobody from a non-football state pretended to be committed here

I couldn’t scream loud enough into this board about how huge of a f*ck up this was

Was laughed at by all the usual suspects (typical)

Good to see people once again coming around about a year too late

Best quarterback to come out of NE in 25 years

With all the Frost recruiting and lifestyle stories coming out of the woodwork, I'd love to hear how Trev really felt his first day through frosts firing on the job. Trev is a true professional and we are fortunate to have him in a leadership role. Things are on the way up.

I totally get the “move on” arguments, but I remain morbidly curious about what that spoiled prince did with his time here.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I totally get the “move on” arguments, but I remain morbidly curious about what that spoiled prince did with his time here.
apparently got facked up and facked off after early morning practice? Or did they can the early morning shit after a few years? I always thought that was dumb.

Does and will it matter when Dylan signs with us next year?? Some of you need to turn the page on enjoy or new coach and signing day. GBR
It matters a lot, because the way our O-Line blocks, we'll need as many quality backups as possible. There is no way a QB makes it 4-5 games before being too injured to play. Hell, 4-5 might be a stretch, probably closer to 2-3 games.

Zane Flores article
Neb. has plenty of talent and depth at QB so that position isn't the highest priority for this class. Neb. will be OK. However, next season - Neb. had better knock it out of the park.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
It matters a lot, because the way our O-Line blocks, we'll need as many quality backups as possible. There is no way a QB makes it 4-5 games before being too injured to play. Hell, 4-5 might be a stretch, probably closer to 2-3 games.
he's the best quarterback to come out of the state in 25 years

Nebraska kids are the backbone of our program

the message sent was terrible and will reverberate. new staff needs to continue to pay more than lip service locally to make up for 20 years of being completely ignored

long row, but good start

Reactions: BleedRed78
I've never seen Flores play in person, but every time I saw his film I couldn't wrap my head around this:

How TF can a coaching staff that recruited Luke McCaffrey, Logan Smothers and Heinrich Haarberg not be interested in THIS guy?
All of Frost's great QB finds were actually Mark Helfrich's. Helfrich found Mariota, Justin Herbert, and Milton. Frost brought Milton to UCF when UO didnt offer him.

On the other hand, he did lock up Haarberg for us
Sarcastic George Costanza GIF

Or invitee like Max Dugggan. Both of them, as well as Flores and the kid from SD (Lincoln K), would have all walked here to be part of this team if we showed any interest. Instead, here we are.
I don’t think the South Dakota kud would have landed in Lincoln unless he landed a HUGE NIL offer.

Gundy probably knew he would be awesome as soon as Frost blew him off.

I don’t think the South Dakota kud would have landed in Lincoln unless he landed a HUGE NIL offer.

He grew up a fan. His mom is from Nebraska and he has cousins on the team (and one that just transferred to Michigan).

While it's always fun to bash Frost (he just makes it too easy), let's not go overboard on this kid.

1. His offer sheet lists Bowling Green, Memphis and KU.
2. KSU offered Flores early but told him to take a hike when they got their golden boy in 5.9 four star Avery Johnson.
3. All the talk is Raiola to Nebraska next year. So barring injury, why would Flores sign up to be a backup for his whole career?
4. OSU is in all kinds of turmoil. The last part of the year they were one of the worst teams in FBS. He may get a real chance to play there that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT