ADVERTISEMENT

Yes We Lost, But I’m Not Upset....

I lost it on the drive near the end of the first half. NU was down 13-3, but was driving. If they get a TD there, they could go in at half down 13-10, but getting the ball to start the 2nd half. NU actually has a good drive going, and gets deep in UW territory. Two separate times, NU hits a big play to get into the redzone, but the play is nullified by another f*cking penalty. NU ends up punting with enough time for UW to score a late TD to go up 20-3.

That sequence was brutal. These idiots and their penalties are mind-boggling.

I really see this as a critical crossroads. We’re not an 0-5 team. No way. SF needs to figure it out quickly because this O is not working here and IMO that’s the difference right now. I actually think he will. Ok, wishful thinking but my money is still on Scott.

I'd be willing to bet that there are quite a few Nebraska players that aren't upset either.

I lost it on the drive near the end of the first half. NU was down 13-3, but was driving. If they get a TD there, they could go in at half down 13-10, but getting the ball to start the 2nd half. NU actually has a good drive going, and gets deep in UW territory. Two separate times, NU hits a big play to get into the redzone, but the play is nullified by another f*cking penalty. NU ends up punting with enough time for UW to score a late TD to go up 20-3.

They didn’t punt. They went for it on 4th and 11.

Reactions: huskerfan66

I thought we had taken a step forward, but that sequence you described completely ruined it for me. My interpretation is that they took a step back. I don't see any good in this game at all, and listening to Scott's presser, was quite a surprise. He said he didn't think any of the penalties were selfish or dumb - and at that point, it crosses my mind that he is now flat out lying to the team to try and hold things together. Nothing good comes from this game in my opinion, it's backsliding in a big way.

I really see this as a critical crossroads. We’re not an 0-5 team. No way. SF needs to figure it out quickly because this O is not working here and IMO that’s the difference right now. I actually think he will. Ok, wishful thinking but my money is still on Scott.

With all due respect, this might be one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen. Our offense was NOT the issue against Wisconsin- we had over 500 yards of offense!!!! Defense, special teams, and stupid penalties are the issue. Get those buttoned-up and we’ll be where we need to be.

After a lot of screaming at the TV, I am strangely calm. You can see how good this offense is going to be, but man, the penalties. Just drive killing over and over again. JD and Mo getting it done.

AM is true freshman and playing like it. There are flashes of greatness and then a lot of bad decisions. It just takes experience to get there. Trust his legs more.

Reactions: meo1960

Not sure I'm following you. The ONLY redeeming quality about this team is the offense. They struggle because Martinez definitely makes some freshman mistakes. But OMG, the defense is an abomination. NU will NEVER WIN AGAIN with this defense.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Penalties, lack of discipline, non existant defense, and bad coaching decisions, but yes, probably the teams best effort so far. Seriously though, why didn't they attempt a 2 point conversation to get the game within 2 scores? Real baffler of a coaching decision there. Didn't end up making a difference but could have.

Honestly, at this point I don’t think our penalty issues are coaching related - the players are drawing the penalties, not the coaches. We all know it’s been beyond preached throughout week.

Regardless, we got better today. I’m going to enjoy it, but if you want to sulk and be a little ‘b’ that’s your prerogative :)

This is a 3 year turnaround for the staff, so at this point it is what it is.

#romewasntbuiltinaday

Honestly, at this point I don’t think our penalty issues are coaching related - the players are drawing the penalties, not the coaches. We all know it’s been beyond preached throughout week.

Regardless, we got better today. I’m going to enjoy it, but if you want to sulk and be a little ‘b’ that’s your prerogative :)

This is a 3 year turnaround for the staff, so at this point it is what it is.

#romewasntbuiltinaday
Eternal optimist here, and I agree. I felt like we got better today as well. Defense got shredded, but only gave up the 1 big play that I recall. They played hard all night. It’s as if people forget that Wisconsin has 3 ALl Americans on the OLine. They ran the ball on us because they are big and strong and we are not. Anybody surprised that our D didn’t stop them more is not taking in to consideration how good wisconsin’s OLine is.

And on offense we saw some really good play at times. The holding penalties drove me crazy, and I think some of them likely were the result of AM holding on to the ball too long or our players reversing field. It’s gonna happen. But we still matched Wisconsin yard for yard, just not point for point. At some point we are gonna have to finish drives. I wish it were now. But we will get there.

All in all, I thought we got better as well. Granted, it’s hard not to get better than previous games, but tonight was better than I thought it would be.

Losing always sucks, nobody likes it, but I’m really impressed with the mental resolve of our team this week! The team never gave up (as I feared they would) and kept playing hard.

I really think we got better tonight.

#GBR
I hate losses, but I saw some really encouraging things tonight. Really liking this young talent. I just hope we can recruit a good OL so that talent isn't squandered.

Losing always sucks, nobody likes it, but I’m really impressed with the mental resolve of our team this week! The team never gave up (as I feared they would) and kept playing hard.

#GBR

I did too. I thought the game was very telling.

Reactions: mmunso7

?? The O had over 500 yards, which was I believe the third time this sesason the O has surpassed the 500 yard mark. The D is what's killing us. The fifth or sixth straight Big Ten opponent to score 40 or more.

#GBR
i have literally seen this post, or something really really close to it, after every game this year. copy and paste for next week.

With all due respect, this might be one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen. Our offense was NOT the issue against Wisconsin- we had over 500 yards of offense!!!! Defense, special teams, and stupid penalties are the issue. Get those buttoned-up and we’ll be where we need to be.
Then you obviously haven’t read any bad posts here. If you read any of my previous posts you’d know I didn’t say it was all the 0. Agreed on everything you mentioned there but if AM runs more and passes less, we probably win or are at least are in the game until the end. The kid is an incredible talent with his feet. Instead of tucking it and running when he has a sure 10 yard gain, he’s forcing a throw. Granted, today he completed some of those, but look at our 3rd and 4th down efficiency. That really hurt us today. With more balance in terms of the pass/run ratio we can be very dangerous. Having said that, our D can look pretty silly at times, no doubt. I’ve never seen a more undisciplined team at Nebraska. Couple that with stupid mistakes and shitty calls by the zebras and this is the result. GBR.

Reactions: dand84

#GBR
I agree wholeheartedly. No, Wisconsin is not Ohio State, but I feel good about it. The big thing is the play of the freshman QB! He played well.

This team is still beating itself with penalties and special teams blunders. Shoring up just those two areas would really help. I think a win is on the horizon.

You have to be kidding me? This O is not working? 518 yards of total offense which doesn't include several big plays that were nullified by penalties which easily should have been over 600 yards of O. Then consider a lot of talent on the field making the plays is young and making a wrong decision here and there... I mean with a little more seasoned team and QB, it would be completely unsurprising to go over 700 yards of offense, and I'm pretty confident would have won in shoot out against Wisky last night.

The D played well in spots, and if the game was closer I think they would have showed a bit better.

It was a poor game played by a poorly coached team. Call it what it is. Wisconsin is not that good. But they never gave up? Good for them. Proud of them for what is supposed to be their job.

The offense is not working? I think I saw a different game. It's the other side of the ball, my friend.

Reactions: Can o' corn
So there were some positives from this game, but let's not declare the offense as "working" when we still haven't scored more than 28 points in a game and are 0-5 on the year.

Reactions: CatColumbia
It was a poor game played by a poorly coached team. Call it what it is. Wisconsin is not that good. But they never gave up? Good for them. Proud of them for what is supposed to be their job.

We are 5 games into a season with a new offense, new defense, new coaches, polar opposite culture... a complete rebuild against a mostly veteran team with an established culture for the past 20 years … I mean holy smokes, what do you expect? Fans keep saying we are poorly coached as if a team can be fundamentally sound at the snap of the fingers with "good coaching."

Understand "good coaching," is a process of instilling good habits while lessoning and eventually eliminating the bad habits. That means a well coached team takes time and is indicative of a culture built from consistency over that time... at the very least that is going to take at least a year or two. When was the last time you can remember us being well coached? We have had a culture at this point, dating over a decade that has either rewarded or been apathetic to bad habits.

At least before throwing stones, think of all the bad habits holding you back from being great and how difficult they can be to overcome... now think of the Herculean task of coaching those bad habits out and instilling good ones to 130 to 140 kids... its not an easy job and it was never going to happen over night.

So there were some positives from this game, but let's not declare the offense as "working" when we still haven't scored more than 28 points in a game and are 0-5 on the year.

When this offense was "working" during the game, we were moving the ball at will. When it wasn't working, it was mostly due to poor decisions or simply not making the play. Again those things are fixable and will improve over time... yes this offense is definitely working and will continue to work through the season and into the years to come. Saying it isn't working is like saying we need to change our identity, philosophy.. that is just ridiculous. Remember we are playing with a true Freshman QB who didn't even play his senior year of high school football.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Ok from a Hawk, but I think there was great improvement.

First the kids played hard and the defense was attacking. They just got tired.

Your skilled position players are very good and a great future for you. AM and Washington are studs and scary good.

Your penalties on offense, your line is getting beat but they continue to try to protect but committing penalties. Not sure if they are learning a new blocking system

Just some thoughts, good luck rest of the season.

You have to be kidding me? This O is not working? 518 yards of total offense which doesn't include several big plays that were nullified by penalties which easily should have been over 600 yards of O. Then consider a lot of talent on the field making the plays is young and making a wrong decision here and there... I mean with a little more seasoned team and QB, it would be completely unsurprising to go over 700 yards of offense, and I'm pretty confident would have won in shoot out against Wisky last night.

The D played well in spots, and if the game was closer I think they would have showed a bit better.
Agree. He should have tucked it instead of hitting spielman on that 75 yarder or Stoll in the corner of the end zone. You’re on to something. Or on something.

Look, at some point, this team is going to not have a stupid penalty every time we make a big play. AM is going to learn to trust his feet mor often. Half our problems on O begin with AM making a bad decision but we also see he has patience in the pocket and can make big throws. Our D will actually make that stop without a penalty or big play on 3rd down. Then these 40-28 kinds of games tuen into 40-28 going our way.

You can see that, I think the team and coaches can see that. Just like when you have a baby stumbling around and babbling, you know it is going to walk and talk soon enough.

When this offense was "working" during the game, we were moving the ball at will. When it wasn't working, it was mostly due to poor decisions or simply not making the play. Again those things are fixable and will improve over time... yes this offense is definitely working and will continue to work through the season and into the years to come. Saying it isn't working is like saying we need to change our identity, philosophy.. that is just ridiculous. Remember we are playing with a true Freshman QB who didn't even play his senior year of high school football.

That's all fine, but I wasn't implying that the scheme needed to be overhauled.

Once the offense is good enough to keep us in games and/or win games for us then I would consider it "working'. We'll need more than 28 points a game to accomplish that.

That's all fine, but I wasn't implying that the scheme needed to be overhauled.

Once the offense is good enough to keep us in games and/or win games for us then I would consider it "working'. We'll need more than 28 points a game to accomplish that.
I agree, and I believe we will get there as well.

For those claiming we need to change the offense (not you) we saw something yesterday that we haven’t seen in a long time... a 95 yard drive resulting in a TD. We have playmakers and we will be scoring points. This team just needs to figure out how to put it in the end zone. That means no stupid red zone penalties or drive killers. But we will get there.

Reactions: dand84
Kansas would beat our ass right now.

I’m referring to the fans.
Man, there are a lot of people that seem quite content after a 17 point loss.

I imagine this is what the Kansas and Oregon State boards are like after games.

I guess if you are served up a shit sandwich often enough they start to taste good to some people.

I actually think we got a little better last night too. Especially our young guys. Martinez, Washington and Cam Taylor. Those guys are going to be ballers in the coming years and they are going to put it on some people. Sadly we just don’t have the talent or depth to be where we want to be. But if we can build some talent and depth around those young guys, we’re going to be really good. Just going to take a few recruiting cycles. I love the way the team battled. The penalties are still killing us, but there were flashes both offensively and defensively that showed we’re just missing. That screen where Davis peeled off and made an open field tackle against the receiver was brilliant. Last year he just keeps moving up field and that screen goes for 20+ yards. Washington and Speilman we’re beasts. So was Morgan. They’re getting closer.

I have hesitated to say anything since the Troy game, but I’m actually ready to say I think we’re going to take that next step and put it together in the coming week. I think we have a real opportunity to beat Northwestern and Minnesota in back to back weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT