ADVERTISEMENT

Yes We Lost, But I’m Not Upset....

I’m referring to the fans.
Man, there are a lot of people that seem quite content after a 17 point loss.

I imagine this is what the Kansas and Oregon State boards are like after games.

I guess if you are served up a shit sandwich often enough they start to taste good to some people.

Meh, I don't like shit sandwich. But if it is all there is to eat, don't want to starve.

Turn the channel, there is some really good football out there. Relax, go enjoy the fall weather. Support the guys who don't suck. Bake a cake. Shoot a deer. Whatever, just know that patience is needed here and there is no quick fix. Nada. Zip.

I’m referring to the fans.
Man, there are a lot of people that seem quite content after a 17 point loss.

I imagine this is what the Kansas and Oregon State boards are like after games.

I guess if you are served up a shit sandwich often enough they start to taste good to some people.
Big difference between being content and seeing progress. It’s ok to say we improved. That doesn’t mean we were filled with joy at what happened last night. It just means we made progress. If we continue to make progress, we will get better.

Right?

Look, at some point, this team is going to not have a stupid penalty every time we make a big play. AM is going to learn to trust his feet mor often. Half our problems on O begin with AM making a bad decision but we also see he has patience in the pocket and can make big throws. Our D will actually make that stop without a penalty or big play on 3rd down. Then these 40-28 kinds of games tuen into 40-28 going our way.

You can see that, I think the team and coaches can see that. Just like when you have a baby stumbling around and babbling, you know it is going to walk and talk soon enough.
Modt of our problems on offense are due to the line being a sieve and the penalties. As good as Martinez already is, he's going to be even better with protection and not having to constantly overcome penaties.

Losing always sucks, nobody likes it, but I’m really impressed with the mental resolve of our team this week! The team never gave up (as I feared they would) and kept playing hard.

I really think we got better tonight.

#GBR
I feel the exact same way, I know we committed a lot of penalties but I am here to tell people, Wisky holds just as much as anybody and they get away with it way more than we did. The missed face mask was terrible and the two offsetting penalties where they committed personal fouls was just as bad. The officials missed a huge block in the back on their long kickoff return and we got called for one when their player dove and ours never touched him. The phantom call on Foster for block in the back was just as bad.

I really see this as a critical crossroads. We’re not an 0-5 team. No way. SF needs to figure it out quickly because this O is not working here and IMO that’s the difference right now. I actually think he will. Ok, wishful thinking but my money is still on Scott.
If you can't see the improvement on Offense then I am not sure what game you watched, we clean up the penalties, which at times were terrible calls by the officials and we may win the game, imo. The biggest thing we must do is improve our run defense, which has been an issue since Bo was here.

I feel the exact same way, I know we committed a lot of penalties but I am here to tell people, Wisky holds just as much as anybody and they get away with it way more than we did. The missed face mask was terrible and the two offsetting penalties where they committed personal fouls was just as bad. The officials missed a huge block in the back on their long kickoff return and we got called for one when their player dove and ours never touched him. The phantom call on Foster for block in the back was just as bad.

I’m not one to blame officials, but the missed face mask on Morgan was bad. And that block in the back called on Foster was absolute bullshit. JD was incredible on that busted play when he reversed field, and I’m still not convinced Foster ever touched that guy for a block in the back penalty. I think even the announcers were surprised by that block in the back call.

After a lot of screaming at the TV, I am strangely calm. You can see how good this offense is going to be, but man, the penalties. Just drive killing over and over again. JD and Mo getting it done.

AM is true freshman and playing like it. There are flashes of greatness and then a lot of bad decisions. It just takes experience to get there. Trust his legs more.
I think we would see more use of his legs if we had solid depth at the QB spot, imo.

I’m not one to blame officials, but the missed face mask on Morgan was bad. And that block in the back called on Foster was absolute bullshit. JD was incredible on that busted play when he reversed field, and I’m still not convinced Foster ever touched that guy for a block in the back penalty. I think even the announcers were surprised by that block in the back call.

They were surprised by the call. Foster barely touched the guy

I actually think we got a little better last night too. Especially our young guys. Martinez, Washington and Cam Taylor. Those guys are going to be ballers in the coming years and they are going to put it on some people. Sadly we just don’t have the talent or depth to be where we want to be. But if we can build some talent and depth around those young guys, we’re going to be really good. Just going to take a few recruiting cycles. I love the way the team battled. The penalties are still killing us, but there were flashes both offensively and defensively that showed we’re just missing. That screen where Davis peeled off and made an open field tackle against the receiver was brilliant. Last year he just keeps moving up field and that screen goes for 20+ yards. Washington and Speilman we’re beasts. So was Morgan. They’re getting closer.

I have hesitated to say anything since the Troy game, but I’m actually ready to say I think we’re going to take that next step and put it together in the coming week. I think we have a real opportunity to beat Northwestern and Minnesota in back to back weeks.

I didn't have high expectations for this game and was just hoping to see progress.. and I saw progress.

Defense played the best it has all year (did get tired and didn't get help on a few calls), and the O left it on the field too much in the first half

On offense we moved the ball really well in the second half and started to get some level of consistency. Martinez is so young, but I see a lot of potential there.

I'd love to see us win the next two -- this isn't the season we wanted, but playing spoiler down the stretch would be a nice way to propel into next season

Reactions: mmunso7 and timnsun
Losing always sucks, nobody likes it, but I’m really impressed with the mental resolve of our team this week! The team never gave up (as I feared they would) and kept playing hard.

#GBR
a loss is a loss.....moral victories are for losers!

Reactions: bigboxes

#GBR
We did look better, however I don't think Wisc is that great of team this year compared to in the past. Plus we did still give up 300+ rushing yards and 41 points.

I have hesitated to say anything since the Troy game, but I’m actually ready to say I think we’re going to take that next step and put it together in the coming week. I think we have a real opportunity to beat Northwestern and Minnesota in back to back weeks.
We aren't beating NW they look very good. They lost by 3 to Mich last week and just beat Mich St. Our only shots at wins this year are Bethune, Minn, and Illinois.

I don’t see people here claiming a moral victory in any way, shape or form. I see people commenting on progress and improvement. Some here saw it, others say if you lose that isn’t progress.

No one in this thread is saying we are content with the loss, we are happy to beat the spread, or this was a moral victory. What people are saying is we got better yesterday. Good enough for a win? Obviously not. But we got better.

Clearly.

Big difference between being content and seeing progress. It’s ok to say we improved. That doesn’t mean we were filled with joy at what happened last night. It just means we made progress. If we continue to make progress, we will get better.

Right?
Stop with the logic.

Reactions: J5sker
I don’t see people here claiming a moral victory in any way, shape or form. I see people commenting on progress and improvement. Some here saw it, others say if you lose that isn’t progress.

No one in this thread is saying we are content with the loss, we are happy to beat the spread, or this was a moral victory. What people are saying is we got better yesterday. Good enough for a win? Obviously not. But we got better.

Clearly.
We hung 500 yards on a supposed powerhouse. Then we went into our act and got our usual 10 penalties, and showcased our Dline woes. I think we improved---the numbers support that. If we eliminate the penalties and the stupid shit stuff we got something. Now we need a win. GBR

Reactions: jeans15 and timnsun
I believe this was the first game we did not lose against the spread

LOL...that's true. I think the first cover since maybe the PSU game last year. NU was probably more than a 12 point dog in that one.

If NU improved in this one, it was baby steps, at best. It was essentially a repeat of the Purdue game - getting 3 scores behind midway through the game, then piling up yards and points at a furious pace - while giving up the same. That Wisconsin is probably better than Purdue, and this was on the road would be points for the 'improvement' column.

NU still killed themselves with penalties, and absolutely could not slow down the opposing offense. That has been a familiar theme all season long.

The offense was anemic when it mattered most - the defense limited the damage for most of the 1st half and the offense did nothing but subject them to body blows. 2:41 time of possession in the 1st quarter. We had a chance to be up a couple of scores early had the offense come through. By the time the offense woke up the game was no longer in doubt and the defense was gassed.

I suspect for the # of yards amassed - 24 points is very low.

Hopefully next week the offense will figure it out from the beginning and not wait until garbage time. But better late than never

Need a win next week.

Last edited:
Last night reminded me of last year's Pedo St. game. The final score was probably closer than how the game went down. That being said, I'm proud of the guys for showing some fight and not throwing in the (power) towel. The defensive scheme also showed improvement vs. what we saw in Ann Arbor. It's obvious we don't have the horses and it will take more than one off-season from a S&C/recruiting standpoint to get it fixed.

My hope at the beginning of the year was a bowl game. That ship has sailed, but I am encouraged by the progress of the offensive during the last 2 weeks. By week 5, you are who you are; while we may see modest improvements throughout the rest of the season, the bigger (systematic) issues can only be fixed in the off-season, not the week of a game or even a bye week, not that that's a factor this year. GBR

Honestly, at this point I don’t think our penalty issues are coaching related - the players are drawing the penalties, not the coaches. We all know it’s been beyond preached throughout week.

Regardless, we got better today. I’m going to enjoy it, but if you want to sulk and be a little ‘b’ that’s your prerogative :)

This is a 3 year turnaround for the staff, so at this point it is what it is.

#romewasntbuiltinaday
There's a difference between preaching it and coaching it. When you have music blasting all throughout practice. When you focus more on amount of reps and playing fast vs. doing each rep right and perfecting each rep, your team is probably going to make more mistakes than other teams, and with the combination of the lack of focus, in our case we're going to make a lot more mistakes than other teams. So yes, the constant stupid penalties and dumb plays we make are a systematic issue and a coaching issue.

We are 5 games into a season with a new offense, new defense, new coaches, polar opposite culture... a complete rebuild against a mostly veteran team with an established culture for the past 20 years … I mean holy smokes, what do you expect? Fans keep saying we are poorly coached as if a team can be fundamentally sound at the snap of the fingers with "good coaching."

Understand "good coaching," is a process of instilling good habits while lessoning and eventually eliminating the bad habits. That means a well coached team takes time and is indicative of a culture built from consistency over that time... at the very least that is going to take at least a year or two. When was the last time you can remember us being well coached? We have had a culture at this point, dating over a decade that has either rewarded or been apathetic to bad habits.

At least before throwing stones, think of all the bad habits holding you back from being great and how difficult they can be to overcome... now think of the Herculean task of coaching those bad habits out and instilling good ones to 130 to 140 kids... its not an easy job and it was never going to happen over night.
The thing is this team seems to have collected a lot more bad habits this year than they ever even had last year. Plenty of teams have had to install completely new cultures, offenses, and defenses and ended up having a good season in their first year. Our coaching hasn't been any better than it was last year, and in some cases it's worse.

The thing is this team seems to have collected a lot more bad habits this year than they ever even had last year. Plenty of teams have had to install completely new cultures, offenses, and defenses and ended up having a good season in their first year. Our coaching hasn't been any better than it was last year, and in some cases it's worse.
FIRE THEM ALL!!!! THEYRE JUST HERE FOR THE PAYCHECK!!!!!

Reactions: bigboxes

Clearly.

This. No moral victory. Just stating that progress was made. Frost says it in nearly every presser he has, day by day. While we still have a long way to go, we got better on Saturday night. There were flashes of greatness. There were a few sequences in the 3rd quarter where our defense looked fast and physical, getting off the field and the offense clicked and put together a nice scoring drive. When that can/does happen consistently this team is going to win a lot of football games, but we’re just not quite there yet.

I’ve said this at least twice before and I’ll say it again. I’m a business owner, and unless you’ve been through a process similar to what Frost is up against you really can never understand what a change in culture really looks like and the pains it takes to get through that process. Culture drives everything, and it’s the most difficult but most critical part of the process. Saturday results are only a fraction of what the culture actually looks like, and sadly, culture is not something you can fix on the practice field. It has to change little by little, day by day. That’s why Frost constantly talks about “riding with the guys who are doing things right.” That doesn’t mean just on the field. It means in every aspect of life, being intentional with every action. That level of intentional culture change will take at least a year, if not two to three. The reality is that Nebraska has had a toxic and/or apathetic culture for the better part of 20 years. Calahan and Bo (along with Stevie P) were toxic. Riley and Eichorst were apathetic. We now have a coaching staff (and administrative support) that understands culture and being intentional. Changing the culture is priority number one. And many times changing culture means you have to do one of two things you either change people, or you change people. Guys like Mo Barry, the Davis twins, even Lamar Jackson to a degree have changed. In the case of Gebbia, Lindsey, Bell, well we changed people. Since Frost got to Lincoln we’re looking at a nearly 50% roster turnover. Think of your own job, if you walked in on a Monday morning and half the people you worked with were gone and replaced by newbies, what would your Monday look like? It would be chaotic, and would take time to get everyone going in the same direction.

We have limited talent in key areas, and even in areas where we have limited talent we’re thin and or extremely young. Think of how many true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or even true sophomores are playing and contributing. In some cases we’re starting/playing walkons who otherwise may have not made a P5 much less a D1 roster. We have a new coaching staff, with both a new offensive and new defensive scheme and one of the most difficult schedules in the country. I think even the most optimistic among us knew that 3 losses (Colorado, Michigan, and Wisconsin) was a very real possibility by this point in the season. Certainly no one expected 0-5, but the reality is we were snake bit by the weather in game one, we went into the Troy game with a back up Walkon QB and Purdue is a team on the rise, as is CU. You have to look for the positives because those are the foundations that greatness must be built on. Our fall from greatness is complete. It took the better part of 20 years. The rise will be slow, but if you’re in for the long haul it’ll be a great ride, and someday we’ll look back and realize the pains we had to go through in 2018 with a new staff were worth it.

We’re not talking about moral victories, we’re talking about progression and patience. Both must take place before victory can be secured.

Reactions: mmunso7
We have had good luck playing in Evanston, more so than in Lincoln. Without Larkin's yards, NW has a net rushing total of 41 for the season. Thorson has a net of -75.

Getting Cam Taylor some valuable snaps in that game was huge. It looks like Bootle has one spot locked down. If Cam can just limit the wtf plays, maybe he's the guy on the other side. One upside to a season like this, especially in a transition year, is that it provides a chance to try kids out when the bullets are really flying. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Could it lead to additional losses? Sure, but it's pretty clear some of the kids that started out the season as starters were just not getting it done.

Reactions: jeans15
Then you obviously haven’t read any bad posts here. If you read any of my previous posts you’d know I didn’t say it was all the 0. Agreed on everything you mentioned there but if AM runs more and passes less, we probably win or are at least are in the game until the end. The kid is an incredible talent with his feet. Instead of tucking it and running when he has a sure 10 yard gain, he’s forcing a throw. Granted, today he completed some of those, but look at our 3rd and 4th down efficiency. That really hurt us today. With more balance in terms of the pass/run ratio we can be very dangerous. Having said that, our D can look pretty silly at times, no doubt. I’ve never seen a more undisciplined team at Nebraska. Couple that with stupid mistakes and shitty calls by the zebras and this is the result. GBR.
With all due respect, this might be one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen. Our offense was NOT the issue against Wisconsin- we had over 500 yards of offense!!!! Defense, special teams, and stupid penalties are the issue. Get those buttoned-up and we’ll be where we need to be.
Also, if you listen to SF’s post game and Monday’s practice pressers, he says AM in the second half against Wisco “came out and ran and the other team had a hard time tackling him. I’d like to see him start that a little earlier.” SF also mentioned plays where AM “shouldn't have passed”. The offense “sputtered and shot itself in the foot and kind of missed out on a couple of opportunities. We were not efficient enough in the 1st half to score enough points.”

I think that kind of says it all and that was my point. You can have a boatload of total yards but if you’re not scoring points and especially early, it’s going to be an uphill climb against opponents who are scoring points. I think we’re better than our 0-5 record suggests—we’re getting closer.

I would be very surprised if we don’t see AM running the ball more going forward, especially when he’s flushed out of the pocket. Ultimately, I think that results in more scoring drives. Kid is going to be a great one. GBR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT