ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not necessarily upset we lost …

RBigredMax

Senior
Mar 23, 2023
I’m devastated we lost THAT way.

Proud of our defense - got a TO when we desperately needed one and got serious stops. Minny receiver made an absolutely amazing catch for that TD. We looked physical and every tackle our boys were flying to the ball. For an O to give up the rock 4 times and hold to 13 is a solid effort.

I was explaining how the game went to my wife this morning and couldn’t believe the words.

—How, how is Grant our back in crunch time when he wasn’t protecting the ball in practice? “If you aren’t protecting the ball you won’t play for us” - was the quote if I recall correctly. Absolutely pissed.

—Sims is staring down his receiver the entire time - then at least get him a mirrored visor. “Sunday guy - turnover rep isn’t deserved - etc”. Dude made great plays with his legs but back-breaking TO’s - end zone and to close out the game. Why can’t we have a QB who protects the freaking ball.

I’m not writing the team off by any means and was on the edge of my seat the whole game and excited for our D. The O moved the ball well and rarely had 3 and outs.

Penalties and turnovers. Let’s see if the staff can clean them up. Bounce back week in CO - kick Sanders’s ass and come back and get some home field love!!!!

I’m devastated we lost THAT way.

Proud of our defense - got a TO when we desperately needed one and got serious stops. Minny receiver made an absolutely amazing catch for that TD. We looked physical and every tackle our boys were flying to the ball. For an O to give up the rock 4 times and hold to 13 is a solid effort.

I was explaining how the game went to my wife this morning and couldn’t believe the words.

—How, how is Grant our back in crunch time when he wasn’t protecting the ball in practice? “If you aren’t protecting the ball you won’t play for us” - was the quote if I recall correctly. Absolutely pissed.

—Sims is staring down his receiver the entire time - then at least get him a mirrored visor. “Sunday guy - turnover rep isn’t deserved - etc”. Dude made great plays with his legs but back-breaking TO’s - end zone and to close out the game. Why can’t we have a QB who protects the freaking ball.

I’m not writing the team off by any means and was on the edge of my seat the whole game and excited for our D. The O moved the ball well and rarely had 3 and outs.

Penalties and turnovers. Let’s see if the staff can clean them up. Bounce back week in CO - kick Sanders’s ass and come back and get some home field love!!!!
The defense folded when it counted. They are weak mentally. Nice try though.

The defense folded when it counted. They are weak mentally. Nice try though.
Yes! Finally somebody points this out. Our defense definitely played better than last year. But they crapped their pants after the Grant fumble and last Sims pic. We needed stops on those drives to save the game. Instead we got pussy defense that did not stop a thing

Nebraska D was stout all night. Took an unbelievable catch by Gophers with 2 minutes left to tie game for THEIR ONLY TD of the game.

Didn’t get the rationale at all for Sims’ pass over the middle on that last possession. He was running pretty effectively all night. Worst case scenario should have been OT.

Eh, stats were almost identical with NU being a bit better in some of them.

Sims should not be dropping back to pass. Only rolling out.
This. After the first two pics, I watched his eyes as he dropped back. It was deer-in-the-headlights stuff. He was afraid of throwing another interception while also not knowing where to go with the ball. So then he held it too long and took sacks.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We are so one dimensional after watching last night..

Disappointed we were not disciplined down on the goal line before the half..
Didn’t expect Sims making so many bad decisions when before the half and our last drive.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Call me crazy but I still think this is going to be a 6 or 7 win team.
But that all hinges on winning the next game. A loss to Colorado would kill my optimism.

This. After the first two pics, I watched his eyes as he dropped back. It was deer-in-the-headlights stuff. He was afraid of throwing another interception while also not knowing where to go with the ball. So then he held it too long and took sacks.
Yeah, it just isn't his strength and that is okay, but you just have to coach around it. Him rolling out on the edge creates HUGE issues for a D

First off, you don't blitz as much when a team rolls, it makes it super hard to cover.

Sims is faster than all the Lbers in this horrible division

And you cut the field in half/thirds so throws are easy

One game does not make a season. Another hard loss for sure but what I will be watching for is the improvement made game to game. It's the steady improvement (or lack there of) thru out the season that will determine the fate of this staff and team.

But that all hinges on winning the next game. A loss to Colorado would kill my optimism.
6 or 7?

There is one loss left on the schedule.

The rest are all lame games.

It's a road division game we should have won and should be 4-0 heading into Michigan. Now we are going to have to scrap to make a bowl game.

• Haha
Rhule isn't here for year 1...I am trying not to overreact either but the way we lose is painful. Satterfield was an OC I wasn't too excited for when hired. It's game one so I will give him the rest of the season before making judgment.
Not here for year one? Um yeah. You’re over reacting

Reactions: Streamer15
Yes! Finally somebody points this out. Our defense definitely played better than last year. But they crapped their pants after the Grant fumble and last Sims pic. We needed stops on those drives to save the game. Instead we got pussy defense that did not stop a thing
So many momentum swings in those sequences. The 4th down completion.TD was a killer.

Reactions: 54T and dinglefritz
One game does not make a season. Another hard loss for sure but what I will be watching for is the improvement made game to game. It's the steady improvement (or lack there of) thru out the season that will determine the fate of this staff and team.
We better see a whole lot more Ervin and less Sims dropping back. RPO with the guy or just run the ball.

I'm in the same boat as you. Not time to melt down like these other fair weather fans here. But if we lose to a CU team we should beat by all means, then the rebuild might be looking longer than this season.

I'm not writing our team off either. Lot's of positives from the game. If Rhule loses this game by 21, people would say just give him time. Because we lost the same way, everyone is losing their mind. Give it time and I think even next week we get better.
Yes. We should be better, but I can’t imagine that CU’s O will be worse than mini, and if we go negative on turnovers, gulp

Reactions: leodisflowers
Rhule isn't here for year 1...I am trying not to overreact either but the way we lose is painful. Satterfield was an OC I wasn't too excited for when hired. It's game one so I will give him the rest of the season before making judgment.
Satt had several play calls that were right there, of course, we still have to execute them.

When you're calling plays and the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, your WR's get zero separation, and OL that still only stalemates at best, a rotation of RB's that makes zero sense, you're gonna struggle offensively.

I'm in the same boat as you. Not time to melt down like these other fair weather fans here. But if we lose to a CU team we should beat by all means, then the rebuild might be looking longer than this season.
If we only win 6 or 7 games, it's already a long rebuild. 3 or 4 wins and we're still in the gutter. 9 wins has always been my minimum expectation for a program like Nebraska. Each and every season. Settling for anything less is no different than being an Iowa fan.

Agreed. I had us undefeated going into Michigan. My expectations obviously are now lower. Bowl eligible now needs to be the goal. 8 wins still possible

Nebraska D was stout all night. Took an unbelievable catch by Gophers with 2 minutes left to tie game for THEIR ONLY TD of the game.

Didn’t get the rationale at all for Sims’ pass over the middle on that last possession. He was running pretty effectively all night. Worst case scenario should have been OT.
To be fair, our only td was a rarity, broken, trick play. Not gonna have success with that 90 percent of the time.
Moved the ball inside the red zone which is good, but then we completely self destructed. Just like always.
The counter to that is we need to 'clean it up' . That's a pleasant cliche, sounds easy but it's still the mark of your team.

Close games are usually decided by two things: game management by the coaches and quarterback play. Unfortunately, we came up short in both categories. It will be hard to win close games unless both change.

I agree with the OP. The way we lost hurts the most. I’d rather Minnesota have crushed us then lose like that.

When you lose close games like that it comes down to how mentally strong our your kids and how good is your coaching staff. Narrow margin games come down to coaches having less of a room for error and our staffs have been out classed for 8 years.

And I don’t just mean HC, I mean assistants.
I don’t know if we have any good assistants on offense. Just a poorly coached game by the offensive staff.

You can’t be making dumb mistakes as a leader in this league. The games are too close. You can’t be having a back carrying the rock late in the 4th, that has continued to have fumble problems. That’s a dumb coach. This isn’t UConn. You aren’t an assistant to the assistant anymore.

You can’t make take that risk as a leader and there’s no need to. now a lot of situations in the game go one way or the other and we win. But that move by EJ to roll with AG was the worst one, and the most costly. EJ just can’t take the chance in that situations. I understand AG was working hard and the staff wanted to show him they appreciate it but don’t do that there. Smart experience coaches don’t do that. And notice Rhule was quick in the post conference to passively throw EJ some what under the bus. Rhule didn’t say “we decided to roll with Anthony” he said EJ did.

We have to get better on the coaching staff on offense. We have to be extremely smart in close games. PJ and his staff was. Like it or not. Rhule might be fantastic but if his leadership under him isn’t very good he won’t succeed.

Right now EJ needs to do an evaluation of himself and step it up because he hasn’t been very impressive thus far. And I’m sure a lot of guys will disagree now but if he continues to be lack luster on the recruiting trail and his players continue to burn us, our fan base isn’t dumb. They will eventually see it. Time will tell.

I made the point a month ago that this team will be much better in November than August/September. Losing to Minnesota sucks but I still believe Wisconsin and Iowa will be wins.
with due respect, I disagree. I see 4-5 wins on the schedule.

They folded it sucks they lost the game. Still trying to polish a turd.
If someone would have said prior to the game that the D would hold Minny to 13 - there isn’t a poster on the board that wouldn’t have said that would be great.

Then if we say the offense would have four turnovers and the D would STILL hold them to 13 there would be applauding by everyone.

But here you sit.

Reactions: c3o
If someone would have said prior to the game that the D would hold Minny to 13 - there isn’t a poster on the board that wouldn’t have said that would be great.

Then if we say the offense would have four turnovers and the D would STILL hold them to 13 there would be applauding by everyone.

But here you sit.
I get it but they folded and allowed a walk off field goal. Period we are what our record says we are. 0-1

Reactions: Fed-Up and oldjar07
I made the point a month ago that this team will be much better in November than August/September. Losing to Minnesota sucks but I still believe Wisconsin and Iowa will be wins.
I like your optimism Tuco and I wish I shared it. Given Sims' prior history of throwing pics before coming to NU, and then seeing him toss three on Thursday, I really do wonder if he can be coached-up to eliminate this tendency. We really need him to be able to throw the football so that our offense does not become one dimensional. I presume therefore that you see him improving as the season goes on. Nothing would make me happier than to see us beat Wisconsin and Iowa.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I like your optimism Tuco and I wish I shared it. Given Sims' prior history of throwing pics before coming to NU, and then seeing him toss three on Thursday, I really do wonder if he can be coached-up to eliminate this tendency. We really need him to be able to throw the football so that our offense does not become one dimensional. I presume therefore that you see him improving as the season goes on. Nothing would make me happier than to see us beat Wisconsin and Iowa.
We used to love having QBs like him. Guys that can’t throw in the pocket at all but can make it work with their feet and some well timed play action. The staff has a lot of data , now put a good game plan together for next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT