ADVERTISEMENT

Yant

I’ll say it again… coaching beef aside, not going into a game when asked ultimately means he let his teammates down. Perhaps he took a stand against Frost, and it may have even been justified. That being said, you’ll have a hard time convincing me that the rest of the team that was still trying to win the game appreciated the fact that he put himself first at that point in time. Wrong time to do it.

what you describe is what is expected of a senior running back, not a freshman.

the fact that he was a walk on originally and then saw some playing time should be one of your clues.

To my eyes, he was the only back capable of ripping off 10+ yard runs on a semi consistent basis.

Procedural issues are expected from a young guy at any position.
na

What I am saying is Frost doesn't know how to manage a team of alpha players.

Players don't just refuse to go in to the game for no reason. Something happened that caused that. I am 100% positive it reflects poorly on Scott or the staff in general.

But let's keep cheering and waving pom poms for a coach that continues to nose dive the program and lower the talent level of the team.

Based on what? Again, not picking a fight but statements like the bolded are just tossed out without context or circumstantial proof. If it's just your opinion, I'm fine with that, but you make it sound so declarative.

Players don't just refuse to go in to the game for no reason. Something happened that caused that. I am 100% positive it reflects poorly on Scott or the staff in general.

I would love to know if (1) he refused to go back in the game and (2) if so, why? Clearly something happened but you're too anxious to throw the staff under the bus without considering that maybe he was just a prima donna. Or not, and that's the point.....we fans don't know the details so absolute statements mean nothing.

But let's keep cheering and waving pom poms for a coach that continues to nose dive the program and lower the talent level of the team.

As opposed to what? A full year of bitching about a coach, a program, players? Or maybe holding judgement until the results of the new O staff are out there. I choose not to live with sackcloth and ashes.

The off field issues of Washington and Yant were well known prior to recruitment

It is why most other programs didn’t pursue. It is lazy recruiting by Held and company signing low hanging fruit like this where they don’t have to compete with many other power 5 programs.

the ultimate outcome of both Washington and Yant shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone
And yet most on this board loved MW when he was churning out yards and scoring TDs. I sure did. And when I learned what he did, that honeymoon was over, at least for me.

Yant was a gamble, and maybe it won't work out. But please stop trying to convince anyone that other programs don't take risks and reaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsachisler
mountain-molehill-1.jpg

Reactions: Thomud and SkerInCo
I’ll say it again… coaching beef aside, not going into a game when asked ultimately means he let his teammates down. Perhaps he took a stand against Frost, and it may have even been justified. That being said, you’ll have a hard time convincing me that the rest of the team that was still trying to win the game appreciated the fact that he put himself first at that point in time. Wrong time to do it.
i bet he won t do it twice.

I don't know, I guess I agree with you... but Yant was good. Maybe he needed to go because of his attitude but the guy could run the ball. He actually looked like a Nebraska running back. Him leaving is a loss.
Agreed. I thought his body looked Phillips esque.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It looks like most of our RB room is gone, so either we did a really crappy job of recruiting the guys with the right attitude or they're leaving for a legitimate reason. Either way, that's 100% the responsibility of the coaching staff.
Their lead recruiter is gone also. Never liked what he brought in like guys with two knee surgeries that wasted ships.

yes as I said reaches, most of them extreme reaches
Let me see if I got this right.......

(1) You said NU has more reaches that any other B1G program.
(2) We both agree it's the walkon program.
(3) Doing the math (see what I did there?), you want to get rid of the walkon program so NU's percentage of reaches is the same as the rest of the B1G.

Profit!

Let me see if I got this right.......

(1) You said NU has more reaches that any other B1G program.
(2) We both agree it's the walkon program.
(3) Doing the math (see what I did there?), you want to get rid of the walkon program so NU's percentage of reaches is the same as the rest of the B1G.

Profit!

yes I would like to see Nebraksa get down to a manageable roster size - instead of having the worst player-to-coach ratio in power 5 football

yes I would like to see Nebraksa get down to a manageable roster size - instead of having the worst player-to-coach ratio in power 5 football
I can respect this. I don't agree with you, but at least you were clear about your opinion.

EDITED FOR EXPANSION:

You do realize that there are a couple of starting linebackers--and damned good ones--would be lost without the walkon program.

I thought he was our most talented back and blame Scott Frost for how the backs have been used/not used/mismanaged etc this year.

If he refused to go it, it was for a reason.. something else happened where the refusal was his response to something else.

I'm all for discipline on the team and stuff, but agree with others that there is a problem with the way the players are managed and treated, and it all seems to come back to Scott.

I'm more angry at Scott than I am at any of the players.

I don't think Scott manages this well, because we end up with the situation where the good talent leaves, and the remaining talent is worse.

Not exactly the right formula or recipe for success.

So you don’t know what happened but are sure it is Scott Frost fault? Not the kid making bad decisions or the position coach actually interacting with him? Got to be Scott Frost some how.

The whole premise that someone else must have done something to make him mad, so he isn’t responsible for his actions is ridiculous. People are responsible for their actions. You don’t get a pass because you are mad or someone did something to you. If he refused to go in the game does it matter if it was because he was upset with his PT, or upset about how hard Held was on him or got his feelings hurt because the OSU players are big meanies?

And I don’t know what happened or even if he did refuse to go in the game. But the idea that someone isn’t responsible or at fault for what they do because they are mad or sad or whatever is absurd.

Last edited:
I can respect this. I don't agree with you, but at least you were clear about your opinion.

EDITED FOR EXPANSION:

You do realize that there are a couple of starting linebackers--and damned good ones--would be lost without the walkon program.
I didn’t say get rid of the walk-on program - most schools carry about 20-25 walkons

We’ve only beaten one power 5 team - I would say we are pretty lost

I thought he was our most talented back and blame Scott Frost for how the backs have been used/not used/mismanaged etc this year.

If he refused to go it, it was for a reason.. something else happened where the refusal was his response to something else.

I'm all for discipline on the team and stuff, but agree with others that there is a problem with the way the players are managed and treated, and it all seems to come back to Scott.

I don't think Scott manages this well, because we end up with the situation where the good talent leaves, and the remaining talent is worse.

Could be Frost Could be held

But I agree that our rb utilization drove me nuts and it's been that way for awhile.

Usually 1 will surface as your bellcow. We never developed or established a real pecking order and seem to use certain backs in strange situations.

But yant showed strength, speed, size and toughness who was hard to bring down. His stiff arm moves were highlights when he got rolling.

He was raw and a freshman. I had high hopes for him

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Can anyone help me out here?

Am I supposed to mad because Frost is too hard on players in this case?

I am just never sure whether I am supposed to believe Frost is a players coach that can't hold people accountable or too tough on players and forcing them out.
😂 Had word gotten out that this incident happens and Frost did nothing, the torches and pitchforks would have been out because he’s too soft or doesn’t demand toughness. It’s a lose-lose situation

I'm honestly shocked by the amount of people here who buy into the Alpha/Beta philosophy

Held was fired. Needed to go. Stepp said Held was the reason he came here, but Ron Brown was teaching them how to run the ball.

Held was fired. Needed to go. Stepp said Held was the reason he came here, but Ron Brown was teaching them how to run the ball.
Why did Ryan need to go?

Do you think Ryan was the guy making the choices on who played during the game or during the week?

I highly doubt that.. more likely Frost himself or maybe Lubick had some involvement, but the offense is being run by Scott.. he's got his fingers in all of it.

Do you think Scott asked Austin who the center should be or did he just state that Cam was going to be the starting center a few years ago?

Did he ask who the QB would be from Verdu? C'mon, you know the answer to that.

This is the kind of playground bs management style Scott has, and why I feel he is the problem, not the assistants.

The assistants took the blame, and dips hit is going to get another year, and if all else stays the same, we will get the same results.

Guess who is coming back? (from another website)

" Has Frost had any conversations with Adrian Martinez about the quarterback returning for another season in 2022? Those conversations have been happening quite a bit, Frost said, but no decision has been made yet.

“I want what’s best for him obviously. He’s poured a lot into this, I believe in him so much. I see him every day and I believe in him,” Frost said. “I think we can still get a lot better around him. Obviously, if he’s back, he’s going to have a new coach and some new ideas. We’ll figure that out in about nine days.”'

That looks to me like AM is coming back.. no where in there did Frost outline his departure.. instead, he outlined the future with a new coach and new ideas...

Why did Ryan need to go?

Do you think Ryan was the guy making the choices on who played during the game or during the week?

I highly doubt that.. more likely Frost himself or maybe Lubick had some involvement, but the offense is being run by Scott.. he's got his fingers in all of it.

Do you think Scott asked Austin who the center should be or did he just state that Cam was going to be the starting center a few years ago?

Did he ask who the QB would be from Verdu? C'mon, you know the answer to that.

This is the kind of playground bs management style Scott has, and why I feel he is the problem, not the assistants.

The assistants took the blame, and dips hit is going to get another year, and if all else stays the same, we will get the same results.

Guess who is coming back? (from another website)

" Has Frost had any conversations with Adrian Martinez about the quarterback returning for another season in 2022? Those conversations have been happening quite a bit, Frost said, but no decision has been made yet.

“I want what’s best for him obviously. He’s poured a lot into this, I believe in him so much. I see him every day and I believe in him,” Frost said. “I think we can still get a lot better around him. Obviously, if he’s back, he’s going to have a new coach and some new ideas. We’ll figure that out in about nine days.”'

That looks to me like AM is coming back.. no where in there did Frost outline his departure.. instead, he outlined the future with a new coach and new ideas...
Scott does not decide starters for every position. This is false. Who would you have started at center? At qb?

Yant isn't an alpha player. He's a dumbshit if he wasn't injured and wouldn't go back in the game. I've been a big booster of him since last spring but I can do without him if he's going to be that way. To quote that great philosopher and motivator, "can't win with players like that. Don't want them. Don't need them".

Yant isn't an alpha player. He's a dumbshit if he wasn't injured and wouldn't go back in the game. I've been a big booster of him since last spring but I can do without him if he's going to be that way. To quote that great philosopher and motivator, "can't win with players like that. Don't want them. Don't need them".
Why do you think he refused to go in? if you were in his shoes, what would have had to happen to elicit that kind of response?

Why do you think he refused to go in? if you were in his shoes, what would have had to happen to elicit that kind of response?
Years ago I was coaching some middle school FB. Had this super nice sweet kid on the team. We were up big and I wanted to get him in so I went over to him and said "Hey, John, I am going to get you in at safety, okay?" and he looked at me and said "No thank you"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT