ADVERTISEMENT

Would you continue to support thus staff with another losing season next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'll say this... This is the perfect thread to isolate all who are bitching about Riley and company.

What made me laugh about this is the magnanimous gesture to give Riley another season next year. C10, you really didn't need to tell us you wouldn't support him next year if he has another losing season. You didn't support him this year... We're not dumb enough to think that all changes next year with another losing season.

Yes, I don't hire and fire so not supporting doesn't do any good so I always support my team and staff.
There can be a lot of extenuating circumstances to a W/L record. Lack of depth from a previous coach's recruiting and key injuries can be mitigating factors.

Reactions: 94husker
Depends. 0-12, or 5-7? Losing close or are running backs looking like Melvin Gordon and getting 400 yards. Is TA the starter? Does POB get baptism by fire and get thrown in from game 1? Is Collins here next year? Does the line play improve? Does one of the RB's show they can be a game changer? Does Riley go with a youth movement next year and start a lot of freshmen and sophomores? What if we lose TA and POB? Westy? Valentine?

I sure as hell wont be happy if its a losing record next year, but there are too many variables to just give a blanket answer to that question.

At this point, I sure as hell hope Fresno State, Wyoming, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, and Maryland are home wins. Oregon at home, and road games at NW, Indiana, Wisky, OSU, and Iowa are not certain.

Next year could set up to be a really "fun" year. We will have a ton of depth on the D-Line even possibly without Collins. We will have a ton of LB'ers, and I see our secondary becoming loaded as well. Let's see how that all plays out. Also, hopefully Tre Bryant, Wilbon, or someone clearly makes the statement they are the guy at RB. Future could be damn bright. Coaches just have to prove themselves next year.

Next year could set up to be a really "fun" year. We will have a ton of depth on the D-Line even possibly without Collins. We will have a ton of LB'ers, and I see our secondary becoming loaded as well. Let's see how that all plays out. Also, hopefully Tre Bryant, Wilbon, or someone clearly makes the statement they are the guy at RB. Future could be damn bright. Coaches just have to prove themselves next year.

Exactly, next year there should be no excuses. If they cant get the job done next year with at least 8 wins, they will be a lost cause. I don't believe in this staff ( outside of Bray, Williams, & Hughes) but I am not stubborn. I will buy in with a solid season next year.

No solid season next year, Langsdorf, Banker, Cav, Stewart, & Reed need to be booted. They are paid too much $ too suck. Davis needs to be moved to the O-line / TE coach, his natural coaching spots. And yes Riley wont do any of this but there are ways around this. First step is by not giving these assistants extensions this year. Make their contracts run-up after the 2016 season. Since Riley is allowed to hire who he wants, when he states that he wants to retain his assistants, you lowball the hell out of them on salary. $50K a year / partial benefits. None of them will sign.

I'd go ahead and lock up Bray, Williams, & Hughes right now. I'd give them extensions and let the other guys worry.

So much improvment this year except at QB. Another year of those same mistakes would rip my guts out,,, don't expect that to happen.

I'm assuming you also quit on Bo about three games in when his dumbassery helped us lose to Virginia Tech...amirite?

Lets see if you feel the same way after another embarrassing loss in our bowl game. I would hope that the vast majority of fans are sick and tired of this, rather than supporting the status quo.

Yes, because every coach deserves 3 years (unless they mess off something terrible off the field).

depends on the recruiting classes, who we lost to and why.

if we are stock piling the correct talent to run the system, and lose to great teams or on bad calls

perhaps

Reactions: HuskerO
Lets see if you feel the same way after another embarrassing loss in our bowl game. I would hope that the vast majority of fans are sick and tired of this, rather than supporting the status quo.
As opposed to being ok with a coach telling them to f-off and allowing records to be set on his "guru coached" defense.

Reactions: Nate004
I think the more pertinent question is how far will some of this fan base go with Riley because they hate Pelini?

Its clear right now Riley has issues

Reactions: Wasker77
Depends what the record is. 4 wins or less next year, it's time to go. If he wins 5+ games and shows improvement in recruiting, then he'll buy one more year at least.

Reactions: timnsun
I love the posters that think there are only two coaches in college football...Bo or Mike.

Your expectations are really 5 wins? - not trying to be natsy or anything just surprised
The key is, and why I liked his post, what follows the and... Shows improvement in recruiting. If recruiting is pointed in the right direction, it buys him some more time.

The key is, and why I liked his post, what follows the and... Shows improvement in recruiting. If recruiting is pointed in the right direction, it buys him some more time.
Reasonable - not my stance but I understand it and you may be right. Since I believe he will fail here recruiting to a passing offense that most likely we will not have in the future could hurt us in that respect.I hope they recruit some good defensive talent

I wouldn't.
If We play Tommy and have a losing Season, I will be all out! If we struggle through with a freshman and he plays well at the end of the year, yes.If we struggle with a new QB, our clock management don't improve, and we are once again heavy penalized absolutely not!

Reasonable - not my stance but I understand it and you may be right. Since I believe he will fail here recruiting to a passing offense that most likely we will not have in the future could hurt us in that respect.I hope they recruit some good defensive talent
Good points there as well. If he does recruit well but fails anyway, what will our offense look like post Riley? Food for thought...

I would continue to support the team, not the staff...being snake bit in a transition year, well what can you say? Snake bit in year two = bad coaching.

Preface with a warning, conspiracy theory here. If you take emotion out of it, and simply look at the logistics (ie forget the Riley/anti-Riley thing, expectations, excuses, whatever)...

Riley should really stick around for about 4 years. The first advantage would be, he gets a fair evaluation of his players and ability. No one nationally will fault us for that if he can't cut it.

The second reason, every coaching hire is a swing of the pendulum. If the Riley era ends in failure, the cry for a Nebraska guy will be enormous. Even the national media expects Frost to come back home someday.

Frost is currently entering year 1 of his training wheels. Assuming he shows the requisite progress, he'll continue to be a "hot coaching name" for the forseeable future. He would probably be looking at 3 or more years in the when the bigger schools come calling. Hence, Riley's 4th year.

Now it would be ashame for Nebraska to fire Riley next year and hire the non-prodigal son because folks couldn't wait 18 months because Frost is very unlikely to leave UCF after 1 year (it may even be contractual like Herman).

Hence I can't see any reason to be all that itchy about ditching Riley before the contract is up. The Herman's and Frost's of the world won't be available for another couple years. And NU won't be a player if we hire another coach for 2017.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
Your expectations are really 5 wins? - not trying to be natsy or anything just surprised

If he goes 5-7 next year, I would be in favor for retaining him another year. It's not that my expectations are only 5 wins. My expectations is that we don't hire/fire every two years. I think that builds instability that can really damage a program. It hurts the players, recruiting, the finances (having 3 head coaches on the payroll come 2017), the ability to attract new coaches, the image of the program, etc.. I think those costs are greater, long term, then the cost of having another third crappy season.

And, I want Riley to be looking at the long game - building the program for future years - rather than trying to save his job year 2. Maybe running a read option offense with Tommy next year is the best way to win 7 to 9 games next year. But does that get us in a better position for winning on conference championship level for years 3 to 5? Would the line and receivers develop the way they should to run an offense that Riley is best at coaching? I don't believe Riley is the best coach for the job, unfortunately, but I do acknowledge that I may be wrong and he deserves the best opportunity to prove me such.

Of course, if he goes 2-10, I'll feed him to the dogs personally. Winking

If he goes 5-7 next year, I would be in favor for retaining him another year. It's not that my expectations are only 5 wins. My expectations is that we don't hire/fire every two years. I think that builds instability that can really damage a program. It hurts the players, recruiting, the finances (having 3 head coaches on the payroll come 2017), the ability to attract new coaches, the image of the program, etc.. I think those costs are greater, long term, then the cost of having another third crappy season.

And, I want Riley to be looking at the long game - building the program for future years - rather than trying to save his job year 2. Maybe running a read option offense with Tommy next year is the best way to win 7 to 9 games next year. But does that get us in a better position for winning on conference championship level for years 3 to 5? Would the line and receivers develop the way they should to run an offense that Riley is best at coaching? I don't believe Riley is the best coach for the job, unfortunately, but I do know acknowledge that I may be wrong and he deserves the best opportunity to prove me such.

Of course, if he goes 2-10, I'll feed him to the dogs personally. Winking

That's exactly the conundrum we find ourselves in. We had a transition year this year, and overall the team will continue to build on that. Going read option, read option, POB Pro-style, is a great way to have a transition year in year 3.

At some point you just have to buckle up and say, we're going to commit to something, give it time to play out, and evaluate the results. You can't build on a game to game, one year at a time type of approach.

As opposed to being ok with a coach telling them to f-off and allowing records to be set on his "guru coached" defense.

Man, you really need to get Peelini out of your mind that's all you ever bring up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT