ADVERTISEMENT

Would they have made a difference? Players that missed big games.

F5Tornado

Senior
Jul 19, 2018
It's something that crosses most fans of sports teams minds, had certain injured/absent players been healthy/available for a big game, would it have been enough to get a win instead of the loss that happened?

1998: Nebraska vs Texas in Lincoln

With Bobby Newcombe and DeAngelo Evans out with injuries, along with D-Tackle Steve Warren gone for his grandmother's funeral, would their presence (assuming Newcombe and Evans were healthy) have been enough to turn the loss into a win?

I'm not saying that Nebraska should have won the game with Texas, the Horns defense was solid and their offense showed up big on their last possession to get the victory. Nebraska had their chances even without the three mentioned but came up short.

Before being injured early in the year, Newcombe was operating at a high efficiency along with Evans, and had they both been able to get to the Texas game mostly unscathed, their experience and talent certainly gives Nebraska a better shot to win. Crouch played well most of the time he was in there, as did the other backs Buckhalter and Alexander, but a healthy and more experienced Newcombe, in my opinion, gives him the edge, and Newcombe was plenty fast when healthy. Ditto for Evans, he was a homerun threat every time he touched the ball.

And of course, Steve Warren was a force on the D-Line, he would have made things even more difficult for Texas to move the ball at any point during the game. We'll never know if all three being in would have been enough to get the win, but it would have been interesting to see the results had they been able to play at full strength. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference as Texas always found ways to win in the 4th quarter of most contests against Nebraska.

Side note: Nebraska's top blocking tight end, TJ DeBates went out in the second quarter with a knee injury.

What is your player/game scenario?

Last edited:
It's something that crosses most fans of sports teams minds, had certain injured/absent players been healthy for a big game, would it have been enough to get a win instead of the loss that happened?

1998: Nebraska vs Texas in Lincoln

With Bobby Newcombe and DeAngelo Evans out with injuries, along with D-Tackle Steve Warren gone for his grandmother's funeral, would their presence (assuming Newcombe and Evans were healthy) have been enough to turn the loss into a win?

I'm not saying that Nebraska should have won the game with Texas, the Horns defense was solid and their offense showed up big on their last possession to get the victory. Nebraska had their chances even without the three mentioned but came up short.

Before being injured early in the year, Newcombe was operating at a high efficiency along with Evans, and had they both been able to get to the Texas game mostly unscathed, their experience and talent certainly gives Nebraska a better shot to win. Crouch played well most of the time he was in there, as did the other backs Buckhalter and Alexander, but a healthy and more experienced Newcombe, in my opinion, gives him the edge, and Newcombe was plenty fast when healthy. Ditto for Evans, he was a homerun threat every time he touched the ball.

And of course, Steve Warren was a force on the D-Line, he would have made things even more difficult for Texas to move the ball at any point during the game. We'll never know if all three being in would have been enough to get the win, but it would have been interesting to see the results had they been able to play at full strength. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference as Texas always found ways to win in the 4th quarter of most contests against Nebraska.

Side note: Nebraska's top blocking tight end, TJ DeBates went out in the second quarter with a knee injury.

What is your player/game scenario?

The 96 Big 12 Championship. If half our players don’t have the flu we probably have a 4-pete

The 96 Big 12 Championship. If half our players don’t have the flu we probably have a 4-pete
I remember watching that game and thinking what the hell is going on with the D? When you saw sideline shots, a lot of those guys looked gassed before the end of the third quarter. It didn't help that Nebraska had a wicked tough game against Colorado the week before in some gawd awful weather, those are the types of games that really drain you. But like I said, Texas just seemed to find a way to pull out those close games, and they were really up for Nebraska.

I remember watching that game and thinking what the hell is going on with the D? When you saw sideline shots, a lot of those guys looked gassed before the end of the third quarter. It didn't help that Nebraska had a wicked tough game against Colorado the week before in some gawd awful weather, those are the types of games that really drain you. But like I said, Texas just seemed to find a way to pull out those close games, and they were really up for Nebraska.
Here I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about Jacobsen, Morrow, Jordy, Horne and Johnson.:confused:

I would go with Turner Gill, in his sophomore year, missing the Orange Bowl against Clemson. Mark Mauer got NU past Oklahoma, but Gill would have made a big difference in the Clemson game.

Reactions: Baxter48
I would go with Turner Gill, in his sophomore year, missing the Orange Bowl against Clemson. Mark Mauer got NU past Oklahoma, but Gill would have made a big difference in the Clemson game.

I remember Rimington having trouble handling (the Freeze)William Perry most of the game.I’m not sure Gill would have made the difference but I wish we could have at least found out..

Here I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about Jacobsen, Morrow, Jordy, Horne and Johnson.:confused:
I was thinking the same thing, if miles could have kept them imo we'd be in a lot better shape now. But miles has absolutely no offensive strategy so maybe not much

I remember Rimington having trouble handling (the Freeze)William Perry most of the game.I’m not sure Gill would have made the difference but I wish we could have at least found out..
Yes Clemson had a lot of talent and I'm not saying Nebraska was a lock to win with Gill at QB. But without him NU was really limited offensively.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT