ADVERTISEMENT

Would Scott Frost ever consider hiring an OC?

He needs to. Even if he is married to his system (which has changed alot), he could bring in Helfrich to run it. Frost needs to step back and run everything else and focus on special teams on game day.

Last edited:
Or is he married to his system?
Didn't he always have an OC? At least they had it in their title and were getting compensated for being coordinators.

The better question would be if Frost would give up the play calling duties during games.

And most every head coach has systems he deploys wherever he goes. I'd just say though that I don't believe Frost's offensive system can win consistently in the B1G. Doesn't work on a consistent basis in the B1G except maybe for an occasional upset. Frost was totally wrong (and very arrogant) when he originally claimed the B1G would have to adjust to him. It's been exactly the opposite.

I'm trying my best to control my anger, but damn if Frost doesn't make that nearly impossible. I just can't get over how pitiful this supposed offensive guru has failed to develop a reliable corps of receivers, running backs or QB. We as fans tend to judge coaches and players harshly, but we can't judge Frost harshly enough. How on God's green earth do we not have a QB at this stage????? That massive failing, in addition to an atrocious vision for the offense, has cost us our most dynamic player.

Reactions: vs540husker
It’s confusing - there are calls for him to not only upgrade his OC, but many other coaching positions - as well as bringing in somebody to “teach” Scott to be a head coach. All very encouraging as we look ahead...

You seem to be confusing "hire an OC" with "listen to an OC."

Scott needs to learn the difference between a good play call for a hypothetical situation vs a good play call for how his players actually play. He tends to have a case of the passes game in and game out and he's got a QB who has shown for 2 years he can't light up the scoreboard with his arm.

I would like to see him let go of the need to prove the passing game can be such a big deal and win games and keep his job instead.

Reactions: BroskiRed
I want everyone to repeat after me. Frost needs a quarterback that can pass reasonably well.
Very true. Why don't we have one? When this idea starts spinning around in my thoughts I go nuts. I'm not calling for Frost to be fired just yet, but his complete failure to get a legit QB on campus is very nearly a fireable offense.

It’s confusing - there are calls for him to not only upgrade his OC, but many other coaching positions - as well as bringing in somebody to “teach” Scott to be a head coach. All very encouraging as we look ahead...
Yes. Very encouraging. I wi
Very true. Why don't we have one? When this idea starts spinning around in my thoughts I go nuts. I'm not calling for Frost to be fired just yet, but his complete failure to get a legit QB on campus is very nearly a fireable offense.
I think Martinez would look a lot better if he had some competent receivers. Our best receiver was undersized and used more as a running back. When looking at Martinez I think his eyes may be a a little slow but do they work on that? Probably not part of verduzco a test. But these other teams have big body receivers who make tough catches. Our receivers have to be wide open they rarely win the 50-50 balls. Not saying Martinez is Heisman but I don’t think he is that bad. If he went to another school I think he would do a lot better.

No answers from me. My theory is that he went all in on AM, thinking within 2 years he'd have molded him into Mariotta, a strong armed kid with good skills that could also get chunk plays with his legs. That progression has not happened. The players behind him were not better or at least not ready. Say what you will about Callahan, he tried out some QBs in an attempt to find a good one. It wasn't for a lack of trying. Frost is stubborn and loyal to a fault.

Frost just hired a new OC last year.

There's a huge difference between giving someone the title of OC and actually allowing them to be the OC.

I'm not sure that Frost would handover play-calling responsibilities as that's supposed to be his best skillset...

He's not a certified and qualified OC, he's a bank teller.

I want everyone to repeat after me. Frost needs a quarterback that can pass reasonably well.

I agree but he also needs OLinemen who don’t commit false start penalties, &run and pass block better. A RB with power and explosive speed would be nice.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT