ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly back to the NFL?

As an OC. Hard to believe he would give up a head coaching job at UCLA to be an OC for an NFL team.
Not sure you can make a blanket statement like that. If you fell into the right situation with a good owner, GM, HC, personnel, etc, maybe better.
What are his thoughts on recruiting versus not having to?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Not sure you can make a blanket statement like that. If you fell into the right situation with a good owner, GM, HC, personnel, etc, maybe better.
What are his thoughts on recruiting versus not having to?
Has it ever happened before? Not that I can think of.

Chip is realizing a week long trip to New Jersey, with whiny California Boys, only to get beat by Rutgers, doesn't sound like the best job he could have. Then he thought more and counted additional trips/losses at Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit & eeewwww....Io_a City.

I would rather get fired from my college gig, get the huge buyout and then take the OC job in the pros.
Yes, that obviously would make more financial sense but it depends on what his objectives are. Maybe he has enough loot by now.

Reactions: Bold Words
I would be surprised if this happened but an NFL coordinator is a pretty good gig. Control over play calling but don't have the stress of a HC. No recruiting or personnel decisions you are responsible for. You know you are getting fired at some point, but oh well.

Reactions: V-Doub and mgbreis
It doesn't happen very often, but once in a while an athlete or a coach does say screw the money, I want to be happy....of course they usually have generational weath accumulated already...haha.

I would find that incredibly ironic if true. Bama benefitted from years of under the table payments but he quits as soon as the playing field is leveled.
There is a back story about Saban's sudden retirement. He was just quoted a few months ago about wanting to coach a few more years.
I would find that incredibly ironic if true. Bama benefitted from years of under the table payments but he quits as soon as the playing field is leveled.
His wife isn’t in good health.And Saban is tied of fighting the portal it has Nothing to do with paying the players.

Ok. The health situation makes total sense and is understandable. Giving up because the portal has evened the playing field would still be funny to me.

Reactions: dinglefritz
His wife isn’t in good health.And Saban is tied of fighting the portal it has Nothing to do with paying the players.
Yes, the portal but also those boosters that dump $$ into the portal and then throwing their opinion into the circle.

As an OC. Hard to believe he would give up a head coaching job at UCLA to be an OC for an NFL team.
Not surprising at all. I think you're going to see a lot more old school head coaches jump to the NFL even as a coordinator to escape the chaos and craziness of today's college football.

No structure, no organization, everyone is out for themselves, and high school kids demanding millions in NIL money. You always had to recruit year-round, but now it's recruit year-round in addition to basically fundraising and schmoozing nonstop. And some other school can swoop in and buy your recruit at any moment.

And I'm not even talking about the transfer portal. I'd go to the NFL too if I were them.

Chip is realizing a week long trip to New Jersey, with whiny California Boys, only to get beat by Rutgers, doesn't sound like the best job he could have. Then he thought more and counted additional trips/losses at Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit & eeewwww....Io_a City.
You forgot Lincoln in the aforementioned list.

Not surprising at all. I think you're going to see a lot more old school head coaches jump to the NFL even as a coordinator to escape the chaos and craziness of today's college football.

No structure, no organization, everyone is out for themselves, and high school kids demanding millions in NIL money. You always had to recruit year-round, but now it's recruit year-round in addition to basically fundraising and schmoozing nonstop. And some other school can swoop in and buy your recruit at any moment.

And I'm not even talking about the transfer portal. I'd go to the NFL too if I were them.

Now you have to re-recruit your own roster. Plus other teams’ players, plus HS recruits. And not only do you have to kiss some 17 year old’s ass, now you have to promise him more money than most of your assistant coaches make. Knowing any other school can come along and outbid you at anytime. And if your NIL collective can’t promise to make a kid a millionaire by the time he’s 20 years old you have about 0% chance landing any top 300 players(nationally). College basketball coaches hate it too. Just building a solid culture when you have to re-make your roster every year can be almost impossible.

I guess the coaches that embrace this chaos and learn how to thrive amongst this turmoil and constant change will rise to the top. Having an ultra focused, hard working smart head coach may be more valuable then ever…

I get it...he is HC at a school that doesn't really care about football, with a fan base that doesn't really want him.

I think a lot of coaches are looking to jump to the nfl due to nil and the new wild west portal. Some just don't want to deal with it. I think college football will be losing a lot of coaches over the next few years unless something changes.

Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley has left to become the DC of the Green Bay Packers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT