ADVERTISEMENT

With No Mo’...

Is the idea that a ball control, power run offense is easier to execute and therefore more likely to be successful? I don't think I agree with that. Our players (and coaches) aren't built to run such a scheme. I think it's a recipe to average 14 points per game for the rest of the year.

In my opinion, the best chance the offense has to turn things around is with Adrian Martinez and the vertical passing game. If they can stretch the field then it will open up the run game, which is designed to be predicated on speed, tempo, and explosive plays.
I agree but stretch thr field with who? Noa and williams have proven they cant beat people over the top. Is this where freshman can be used? Nance and houston can run..will they use them?

Does this help the offense find an identity.

Do we become more of a power run, ball control (if we can hang on to it) offense.

Mills seems more a straight line runner that we could try and pound between the tackles rather than trying to get Mo In space on the outside.

I still think we have enough on O to move the ball and score some points.

QB: Martinez & Vedral
RBs: Mills & Mazour (Wan’Dale) (Johnson)
WRs: Kade, Wan’Dale & ???
TE: Stoll & Allen

maybe a simplified scheme helps the OL too...(it can’t hurt)
I suppose so, especially since there will be no wandale either for a few weeks.

Mo is an elite athlete and we dont have alot of those right now. This one really hurts.

Below is from the thread. You have trouble with the meaning of "literally." Husker fans are known nationally for being delusional.

"Weirdly it may be helpful to the offense to be completely and totally without Washington."

I don't know about anyone else, but give me Dedrick Mills and Wandale Robinson over Mo Washington all day long. They both run with intent whether inside or outside.

You can easily tell that Washington isn't committed to running the ball inside, and it hurts an offense that is hurting from poor OLine play already. He should have been moved to the slot or used as a hybrid flanker from the moment he arrived on campus IMO. Anything that can get him out in space.

Last edited:
I guess Frost is gong to talk with him again. Said if Mo does want back on the team he is going to have to earn everyones trust again.
That is all fine and good. I do wonder how many chances you give a guy like Mo however.

What is going on with Houston and Nance? Are those guys the vertical guys right now? Also does Hickman get some targets?

Thing with him is I don't think he's able to put on the weight so the developing into an every-down back was never going to happen. They needed to be able to put him at that slot/wingback/duck-r whatever you wanna call it and let him be a receiver who can also run and let him return kicks.

Looks like dude is gonna go down as the next DeAngelo Evans or David Horne or whoever you wanna rattle off who we crowned the next all-conf RB as a freshman and then it never came to fruition.

The kid would have made a better CB. I think Deion Sanders said it as well. He was never going to be an All American RB for us so we get used to the depth we have now and recruit real RBs.

I actually think the answer at TE Legrone. I actually think his skill set and size gives us the best opportunity right now to make TE relevant. Eventually Hickman is the answer but he’s just too skinny right now to make an impact.

It’s time for Hunt and Legrone to be off this suspension. We need them both.

As for MO quitting the team is one of the dumbest things he can do for his legal case. Makes him look like a problem in front of the court. Like someone who can’t play by the rules.

He's done nothing the past few weeks. I'm not sure that the drama has been helpful to chemistry. Other guys need to step up their game.
"Chemistry" doesnt make lineabackers that dont fill lanes..or Lineman that get no push..or small wr who are no veritical threat. I just dont think guys are that talented. If Mo truly asked to switch, I would give him the opportunity. We dont trust our dbs in man coverage without safety help...which makes us also vulnerable against the run. I hope he sticks long enough for us to get him some more help.

I actually think the answer at TE Legrone. I actually think his skill set and size gives us the best opportunity right now to make TE relevant. Eventually Hickman is the answer but he’s just too skinny right now to make an impact.

It’s time for Hunt and Legrone to be off this suspension. We need them both.

As for MO quitting the team is one of the dumbest things he can do for his legal case. Makes him look like a problem in front of the court. Like someone who can’t play by the rules.
Hunt is probably hunting for another school and Legrone is Le gone gone. If rumors are true, neither will be wearing the scarlet and cream again.

Does this help the offense find an identity.

Do we become more of a power run, ball control (if we can hang on to it) offense.

Mills seems more a straight line runner that we could try and pound between the tackles rather than trying to get Mo In space on the outside.

I still think we have enough on O to move the ball and score some points.

QB: Martinez & Vedral
RBs: Mills & Mazour (Wan’Dale) (Johnson)
WRs: Kade, Wan’Dale & ???
TE: Stoll & Allen

maybe a simplified scheme helps the OL too...(it can’t hurt)
??? .... We're you thinking of JD

I didn't say he isn't a good player. My point is that he's not a 3-down running back. He's a third down back or a slot receiver.

He can't run through tackles or bang for tough yards in the box and trying to make him do that is just bad business. You can't try to square-peg-round-hole him if he isn't there. Dude is a great athlete but he isn't the core of your offense, he's a complementary weapon who needs a guy like Mills to be effective to open things up for him.

There aren't a lot of positives to where NU finds itself right now, there just aren't. But I have said all year that the offense isn't popping because they haven't gotten their inside run game going.

And they've tried every which way to gimmick the inside run game unstuck by succeeding at something else rather than commit to saying, "We will bang on this and rep this in practice and in games until you prove to me you understand this concept and can hit people like you mean it."

They've sorta slowly had all the "cute stuff" ripped away from them until this is all they're left with: if Nebraska can't hammer with Mills on Saturday, we will not beat IU. So they are repping and banging on that for two weeks. And perhaps they should have been all along.

Devine Ozigbo being a 1,000+ yard runner unlocked a lot of doors for this offense last year. Those doors have been locked this year and they have looked like they're trying every key but the right one.
Three important losses from last year. Devine with his running. Farmer and Foster and their ability to actually play offensive line. Those two may be our biggest loss.

Spill the beans man, what rumors?

I will say this staff has kept things more hush hush then any other staff I can remember. Maybe I’m just old now and don’t have the inside enough but I use to get that from this board or RSS. RSS use to just post the rumors and you wouldn’t have to dig. This board use to give hints and eventually you’d find it.

like what the hell happened with these kids?

Or what the hell happened to our kicker? Inquiring minds want to know

"Undisclosed violations of team rules" usually means something pretty serious. Either arrested, getting into fights, multiple failed drug tests, etc. If they are under 19 years of age, you probably won't find their names on arrest records since Neb is the only state I think that has 19 as the age of an adult.

"Undisclosed violations of team rules" usually means something pretty serious. Either arrested, getting into fights, multiple failed drug tests, etc. If they are under 19 years of age, you probably won't find their names on arrest records since Neb is the only state I think that has 19 as the age of an adult.
Or maybe missing practice or classes.

Or maybe missing practice or classes.
True, but classes had just started and it doesn't seem that would rise to the level an indefinite suspension. 1620 the zone talked about a title ix investigation that was opened after the suspension was announced and HCSF said something to the effect he didn't know all the details of what happened but that it was enough to suspend them. Troy said it would be handled "in house". Shrug. I believe they were roommates as well. So I'm thinking something more serious.

I will say this staff has kept things more hush hush then any other staff I can remember. Maybe I’m just old now and don’t have the inside enough but I use to get that from this board or RSS. RSS use to just post the rumors and you wouldn’t have to dig. This board use to give hints and eventually you’d find it.

like what the hell happened with these kids?

Or what the hell happened to our kicker? Inquiring minds want to know
Sounds like some kind of weird hip injury with Pickering. One of the coaches said something about bringing him along slowly due to not wanting to put "too much sheer force on his hip." Didn't bring to mind any injury I'm familiar with but whatever it was it must have been serious because he's been out for months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT