ADVERTISEMENT

Tony White/Defense vs. Wisconsin

90sman

Walk On
Nov 5, 2023
Not that it has gone completely unmentioned, but I was disappointed in the D tonight. No doubt they have played great most of the season, and probably well enough to win tonight. But too many rushing yards, too many 3rd and long conversions, missed tackles, and of course giving up the score in OT.

I was a little concerned that we did not seem to adjust and take away Mordecai's ability to run - burned us over and over. Wisconsin adjusted and took that part of our offense away after the 1st quarter for the most part.

All that said, I appreciate the overall progress on that side of the ball, and I think it was clear tonight that we really aren't all that talented on defense, either. Just good scheme, and guys playing hard with better fundamentals than in the past. Would be awesome to see this defense in a couple years with a lot more NFL dudes all over the place. I hope White sticks around long enough for that to materialize.

Not that it has gone completely unmentioned, but I was disappointed in the D tonight. No doubt they have played great most of the season, and probably well enough to win tonight. But too many rushing yards, too many 3rd and long conversions, missed tackles, and of course giving up the score in OT.

I was a little concerned that we did not seem to adjust and take away Mordecai's ability to run - burned us over and over. Wisconsin adjusted and took that part of our offense away after the 1st quarter for the most part.

All that said, I appreciate the overall progress on that side of the ball, and I think it was clear tonight that we really aren't all that talented on defense, either. Just good scheme, and guys playing hard with better fundamentals than in the past. Would be awesome to see this defense in a couple years with a lot more NFL dudes all over the place. I hope White sticks around long enough for that to materialize.
We had to have had at least 15 missed tackles and 5 or so missed sacks / TFL

Our inability to stop the same route on 3rd and medium was irritating. And then that guy's out and you give up the qb draw. Brutal. That said, they gave up 17 pts in regulation. If you hold a team under 20 in regulation in college football, you should win every time.

In 11 games, we have played 1 good offensive team. You saw how that went. Now according to the "Husker pros" he should be a head coach. Never ceases to amaze me. Improved D? Yeah they are, but c'mon.

In 11 games, we have played 1 good offensive team. You saw how that went. Now according to the "Husker pros" he should be a head coach.
The “Husker pros” have been choosing our head coaches. How many coaches since TO have left NU and won above 70%?

Hopefully Trev doesn't qualify for a being a "husker pro". We will see in the next couple of years.

In 11 games, we have played 1 good offensive team. You saw how that went. Now according to the "Husker pros" he should be a head coach. Never ceases to amaze me. Improved D? Yeah they are, but c'mon.
Tongue Goat GIF

It seems like we have stopped rotating on defense and now we are wearing down.

I’ve been feeling this most of the year. The D has improved, but by how much, really. You’re right, we’ve really only played one team with a good offense. Well, perhaps CU. But I’ve still witnessed the same stuff all season….missed tackles and long drives. The D has been good, but not great. Wisky is another bad offensive team that had multiple long drives on our guys that converted many third and longs.

D didn’t have a good week of practice. It was reported on this board. So that kind of performance was expected. Was hoping with the early big lead it would have boosted their energy but it just didn’t. Team is in its own head right now and this is when coaches need to step the f- up.

How dare you say anything negative about our defense! I was raked over the coals for pointing out the lack of pressure we put on QB’s on 3rd and longs….well, it was one of the coaching blunders that cost us the game last night. I still think Tony White has done a terrific job but just can’t understand that one….and don’t tell me the QB will just call a screen…don’t make it obvious you’re blitzing.

Reactions: regionsdoc
I mean...we can't be like "Iowa has a great D" when they play crap teams and then shit on NU and their defense.

Iowa has played 1 good team this year and got destroyed. NU has played 1 good team and got destroyed.

All the common teams they played have been pretty similar in terms of how the two D's played, I guess, I don't really know the Iowa scores.

Agree, played well enough to win but there were some disappointing moments. I think we are a couple good LB's away from an elite defense.

I've just never seen it with Henrich. Below average lateral movement and gets run out of his gap fill way too often. Good inside blitzer, but that's about it.

Reimer is solid but still leaves his feet and dives more than I'd like, which results in a lot of missed/broken tackles.

I know it's water under the bridge, but I really would have loved to see Hausmann in this defense. Would have killed it, and it's a shame he went to play for those tampering, sign stealing, elitist pricks. Least favorite team in the B1G.

We were playing with some true freshmen getting a LOT of snaps last night on the D line. While long term that bodes well, it’s not a great thing against a B1G line and back like Wisconsin has.

Our inability to stop the same route on 3rd and medium was irritating. And then that guy's out and you give up the qb draw. Brutal. That said, they gave up 17 pts in regulation. If you hold a team under 20 in regulation in college football, you should win every time.
Perhaps not when playing on the road at night with who has been your scout team QB all year.

Yep. We are getting there. As much as people want to bitch I think Rhule actually is making us better
Playing a LOT of very young guys. I think we had 3 true freshmen play significant snaps on our D line last night. Van Poppel got completely neutralized on the OT TD run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT