ADVERTISEMENT

Bright Side to This Season

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
I'm confident in saying that I believe this team is at least on the upward trajectory away from Rock Bottom. This makes watching the team at least somewhat fun again, even if it's nowhere near up to the standard we all know and love.

At this point last year, we lost to NW on the international stage, got embarrassed by Georgia Southern at home, defense was atrocious (until Busch stepped in, then it was just ok) the offense had split personality disorder with the cute "marrying" of Frost's option run game with Whipple's passing scheme, and nobody really experienced significant growth other than Palmer.

Last season was Rock Bottom. Really the only memorable thing was finally beating Iowa. But I think that says more about Iowa than it did for the skers...

I'm happy that at least this year, I can tune in week in and week out knowing I'll at least more than likely see growth - even when we lose. Injuries be damned.

Something to hang our hats on as fans!

I'm confident in saying that I believe this team is at least on the upward trajectory away from Rock Bottom. This makes watching the team at least somewhat fun again, even if it's nowhere near up to the standard we all know and love.

At this point last year, we lost to NW on the international stage, got embarrassed by Georgia Southern at home, defense was atrocious (until Busch stepped in, then it was just ok) the offense had split personality disorder with the cute "marrying" of Frost's option run game with Whipple's passing scheme, and nobody really experienced significant growth other than Palmer.

Last season was Rock Bottom. Really the only memorable thing was finally beating Iowa. But I think that says more about Iowa than it did for the skers...

I'm happy that at least this year, I can tune in week in and week out knowing I'll at least more than likely see growth - even when we lose. Injuries be damned.

I agree with you. We seem to, slowly, be on an upward trajectory. A conference win on the road with anything but an A game was a plus. I look forward to further incremental improvement as the year progresses. That will be the mark of a dang good coaching job.

The memorable thing of 2022 was Joseph and Busch getting most of the players to never quit, to even make improvements to where they could have beaten Wisconsin and did beat Iowa to close out the season. I believed it helped the kids to prove to themselves they could do it.

Win next week and I’ll agree that the rock bottom is behind us and we are on a slow climb back up

Last edited:
Reactions: kevingne
Joseph and Busch did an admiral job last year given the circumstances. Still amazed at what a difference our D was once Busch took over. Good memories for him I’m sure. Mickey battled strong and owned it and then … ugh.

Anyone else besides me hope if any defensive coach moves on after this year that Rhule finds a spot for Busch?

I want to believe, but part of me is waiting for a kick in the balls at the worst possible moment.

Goes against the mold of Rhule preferring young position coaches and hiring people he knows. Unlikely to happen.
Tony will have a big input on defensive coaching hires as long as he’s on staff.
I also think Bill has moved onto another phase in his life.

Reactions: shocksker
I wish I could be as optimistic as others. Nebraska hasn't had a great win since the day I joined this message board almost 22 years ago (the day we beat #2 Oklahoma). Maybe if I delete myself, the real NU football will stand up?

NWA has been playing better too. Could be an interesting game. We HAVE to eliminate turnovers and penalties.
They just beat a bad fcs team by 3 at home

They’re terrible

We will be 10+ point favorites

I wish I could be as optimistic as others. Nebraska hasn't had a great win since the day I joined this message board almost 22 years ago (the day we beat #2 Oklahoma). Maybe if I delete myself, the real NU football will stand up?
You aren't the curse and I quite like you to stay!

(I started reading here in 2006, but never made a handle)

We’re half way through the season and are 1 win away from last years win total. We are strongly trending in the right direction. We aren’t a great team by any means but to deny we are trending the right way because we haven’t beat great teams is silly. We haven’t beat mediocre teams in 5 years

Defensively, without question, we are far and away, absolutely better and trending upward.

Some new coaches step in and get lucky with a bunch of talented vets. We have certainly had some vets play ok, but White also has former milk carton kids all the way down to true freshmen contributing. He got his entire roster ready to play on a matter of months!!
Fundamentals look pretty good- tackling vastly improved, etc.
That’s how it’s done ladies and gentlemen.

Not sure what the highest ceiling is for him and D, but I LOVE the “trajectory” of our defense as long as they can continue to bring in “top half of the conference” level recruiting (and ideally better).
Things do get tougher with conference expansion though, and we will need the raw talent to keep up.

The memorable thing of 2022 was Joseph and Busch getting most of the players to never quit, to even make improvements to where they could have beaten Wisconsin and did beat Iowa to close out the season. I believed it helped the kids to prove to themselves they could do it.
They found a way to lose games to Minnesota and Wisconsin that they should have won.

You know what's crazy. Last year around this time we were also 3-3. With an embarrassing loss (NW 2022 and Minnesota 2023), A big loss to a, at the time highly ranked team (OU 2022, Michigan 2023). A Friday road victory (Rutgers 2022, Illinois 2023). The stretch run will again decide if we go bowling. But I do agree I think things are obviously in a much better place.

You know what's crazy. Last year around this time we were also 3-3. With an embarrassing loss (NW 2022 and Minnesota 2023), A big loss to a, at the time highly ranked team (OU 2022, Michigan 2023). A Friday road victory (Rutgers 2022, Illinois 2023). The stretch run will again decide if we go bowling. But I do agree I think things are obviously in a much better place.
You're only missing Georgia southern there buddy lol. That would've been like losing to NIU or Ltech this season. But Rhule made sure we won the games were supposed to win, and we gave an identity unlike last year's split personality syndrome. So there's that

We played and beat the 3 very worst teams on our schedule. Not ready to say we've massively improved yet.

And this was also the last year we had any real shot at ever competing for a conference title again. Schedule was setup perfectly for it. We pissed that away pretty good too.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
You're only missing Georgia southern there buddy lol. That would've been like losing to NIU or Ltech this season. But Rhule made sure we won the games were supposed to win, and we gave an identity unlike last year's split personality syndrome. So there's that
We also had one more P5 win last year though. Never said it was a straight one to one. Just that it's interesting that we were 3-3 regardless around this time last year.

They found a way to lose games to Minnesota and Wisconsin that they should have won.
Yes that is true. But many cases you fire a coach in season the team falls apart. If you don’t care to acknowledge that in 2022 the kid’s accomplished some good things after Frost was out that’s fine. Glass half empty is one way to view it.

I do love your optimism. I want to believe.

I’ve been highly critical of our O-line and I will continue until there are personnel changes. There is no other way to put it that it is an awful unit that has played a big hand in losing games. I think despite this we can manage three more wins to get to a bowl and hopefully get some of the younger O-line more practice. We will never win against better competition until we have a competent O-line.

Minnesota 2023 wasn’t an embarrassing loss. We lost by 3 on the road in our first game with a new coaching staff, on a miracle catch and a walk off field goal

Northwestern 2022-now that was an embarrassment all around. Wtf was that onside kick about? Frost showing off for a coed?

We are getting better. We should get to six. To be able to say that this early is startling…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT