ADVERTISEMENT

Will Compton on PMT

Bo was good coach for Iowa, not for Nebraska. I know many Neb fans would be very content getting 8 or 9 wins a year.
Right now I would be satisfied to have a winning record and build on that. There's an old saying about putting the cart before the horse...Right now it looks like we're breaking in an new horse and we're not sure if it's as good or the best we've ever had or just looks pretty but isn't progressing the way we'd like.

Reactions: husker2612
Bo's Defense is great when he has elite talent that he doesn't have to recruit. It was great at LSU, it was great his first couple of years at Nebraska. It dropped off once the talent left.

And with all that talent LSU got completely gashed on several occasions. Many people down there was glad to see him packing. It's not a very popular hiring anyway, he better produce or he wont last long.

We'll see about Frost. He didn't inherit a roster stocked with multiple NFL players including Suh like Pelini did. That said, it's obvious that Bo's early record was better than what we've seen out of Frost. I think Bo knows football. I just don't think he was the right head coach for Nebraska. I also don't believe with the way he recruited that we were ever going to get over the hump with him as our head coach. Frost has done it elsewhere. Now it's time to show us he can do it here. I'm optimistic but the further away time wise from Solich and Tom we get, the harder it gets IMO.
As a head coach, Frost has done it once and he inherited a pretty full roster. He needs to show he can be a head coach and not just a play caller.

Bo-Pelini-Drunk.jpg

I'm sure the comment about being a good coach for Iowa meant for the standard of success he had-winning 9 games a year and nothing else is good for a program like Iowa, not a program like Nebraska that expects more.

If Frost matches Ferentz's achievements in his first 6 years - then I believe Frost's record could mirror Ferentz's (minus the racism), season for season and Frost will be here as long as he desires after essentially becoming Iowa

in years 4,5,6 Ferentz won a Big ten title, finished a big ten reg season undefeated, played in the Orange bowl and finished in the top 10 each year

Winning division titles matters.

Yall.know we got screwed in 2009 dont play dumb and Roy Helu and Rex choked in the 2010 game.

We arent winning at all now. How were your bowl trips? Nice weather?

I wa glad Bo was fired because I was tired of the drama from the fans

And yet here you are......with all this drama.

Reactions: jeans15
no doubt the consensus was Bo wasn't a good coach
but he did serve a purpose of setting a bar where most here feel is an unacceptable level of performance from the head coach

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
winning percentage > 71%
outright divisional title > 42% of time
win or tie for the div title - 57% of the time
no worse than second in div > 85% of the time
never finish any worse than third in division

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now granted Frost needed some time for the transition - but now in year 3 we know what the minimal on field performance standards that people are willing to accept from the head coach and they are apparently north of those listed above

None of those were reasons why Bo was fired. The only level of performance Bo set were

- don't piss your pants (literally) in a game
- don't swing a hat in a tantrum and spit at a ref
- don't treat fans and boosters like they are pieces of $hit
- don't openly challenge the AD to fire you
- don't get caught on tape telling someone that the fans can kiss your ass on the way out

I mean, it seems pretty clear to most that Bo was fired for those reasons.

None of those were reasons why Bo was fired. The only level of performance Bo set were

- don't get caught on tape telling someone that the fans can kiss your ass on the way out

maybe ... I bet Bo may still be the head coach if he wins 2 of those CCG even with the above factors. Most the discussion thus far has centered around his record of meaningless wins, in game adjustments, losses per year, etc and not his demeanor

just out of curiosity - how much lower of a winning percentage, fewer div titles, fewer ranked seasons does not acting like a jackass buy a coach. .. are we ok tagging on an extra loss or 2 per season if the coach is a nice guy?

if Frost is a better coach, recruiter, etc he should be able to exceed Bo's results

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
As a head coach, Frost has done it once and he inherited a pretty full roster. He needs to show he can be a head coach and not just a play caller.
I know it will never happen but I think him being a young coach and learning the ropes in the BIG10 being and HC and an OC is to much on his plate. He needs to hand off the play calling until he gets everything else dialed in.

To teams who want to play for the conference championship.

And it says something when you cant win the worse division in college football.

Frost hasn’t won the division in his two years here. He hasn’t had his players either, has he? He hasn’t had the Oline needed To field a consistent offense either, has he? He had 3 different QBs play in games last year because all 3 were dealing with injuries. I know, these are all excuses.

But here’s the thing. If the OLine is starting to come together (and it appears that it is) and the QBs are improved (who knows? Maybe, maybe not), maybe he can get to the point where he wins the division crown that you cover so much.

Give him more than 2 years to do that before joining Nikkisixx in a crusade against all things Frost.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and egaRdeR
Frost hasn’t won the division in his two years here. He hasn’t had his players either, has he? He hasn’t had the Oline needed To field a consistent offense either, has he? He had 3 different QBs play in games last year because all 3 were dealing with injuries. I know, these are all excuses.

But here’s the thing. If the OLine is starting to come together (and it appears that it is) and the QBs are improved (who knows? Maybe, maybe not), maybe he can get to the point where he wins the division crown that you cover so much.

Give him more than 2 years to do that before joining Nikkisixx in a crusade against all things Frost.

I just want a bowl game. If that's to much to ask hes the wrong coach

maybe ... I bet Bo may still be the head coach if he wins 2 of those CCG even with the above factors. Most the discussion thus far has centered around his record of meaningless wins, in game adjustments, losses per year, etc and not his demeanor

just out of curiosity - how much lower of a winning percentage, fewer div titles, fewer ranked seasons does not acting like a jackass buy a coach. .. are we ok tagging on an extra loss or 2 per season if the coach is a nice guy?

if Frost is a better coach, recruiter, etc he should be able to exceed Bo's results

I wish things were as black and white as you would like them to be. No real reason to play a bunch of hypothetical scenarios.

We should all just compartmentalize Bo's suckage from Frost's suckage. They both have their own problems.

The positive is it is possible for Frost to improve as a coach. He has actually proven he can be successful. Hopefully he figures it out here. He has potential.

And in reality Bo has never not been an asshole and has no potential to ever not be an asshole.

That alone seems like why maybe some would give up on Bo but not on Frost. Throw in the hometown hero badge and he will get a lot of leeway whether anyone likes it or not.

I wish things were as black and white as you would like them to be. No real reason to play a bunch of hypothetical scenarios.

We should all just compartmentalize Bo's suckage from Frost's suckage. They both have their own problems.

The positive is it is possible for Frost to improve as a coach. He has actually proven he can be successful. Hopefully he figures it out here. He has potential.

And in reality Bo has never not been an asshole and has no potential to ever not be an asshole.

That alone seems like why maybe some would give up on Bo but not on Frost. Throw in the hometown hero badge and he will get a lot of leeway whether anyone likes it or not.

after a transition - a coach's success is pretty objective and comes down to wins/losses and achievements (div titles, conf titles, bowl games, rankings, etc)

we know where the line was for Bo and for Iowa .... will see if Frost can achieve higher levels of success at Neb or if not does the fanbase lower expectations

- “There's a scoreboard in life. We shouldn't run from that. We should embrace it.” -

after a transition - a coach's success is pretty objective and comes down to wins/losses and achievements (div titles, conf titles, bowl games, rankings, etc)

we know where the line was for Bo and for Iowa .... will see if Frost can achieve higher levels of success at Neb or if not does the fanbase lower expectations

- “There's a scoreboard in life. We shouldn't run from that. We should embrace it.” -
this was a semi-thought provoking point when you first made it..

..back before Thanksgiving

If Frost matches Ferentz's achievements in his first 6 years - then I believe Frost's record could mirror Ferentz's (minus the racism), season for season and Frost will be here as long as he desires after essentially becoming Iowa

in years 4,5,6 Ferentz won a Big ten title, finished a big ten reg season undefeated, played in the Orange bowl and finished in the top 10 each year

If your going to keep bringing up this fact at least get it straight.. Iowa has not won the B1G outright since 1985...,

KF shares 2 B1G titles and didn’t play tOSU when they went unbeaten in conference play despite losing to Iowa St..The other they lost head to head to Michigan who went went to the Rose Bowl as the conference Champ..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

lmao.. he wasn't fired for any of those reasons.

The new AD Eichorst wanted to be the puppet master and couldn't fire Bo that first year because Osborne was still hanging around and providing cover for Bo. The only reason Bo was fired in Eichorst second year is because Osborne had moved on and Shawn needed a new coach that would do whatever he wanted. That is the reason Bo was fired.

If your going to keep bringing up this fact at least get it straight.. Iowa has not won the B1G outright since 1985...,

KF shares 2 B1G titles and didn’t play tOSU when they went unbeaten in conference play despite losing to Iowa St..The other they lost head to head to Michigan who went went to the Rose Bowl as the conference Champ..

where did I say they won the conference outright. They did not have the opportunity to win the conference outright those years because of no conf championship game. It is still a conference championship - much in the same way when Nebraska has 46 conf championships on the wall in the practice facility it includes co champion years. The trophies in the trophy case don’t delineate co and outright conf championships either.

Nothing is keeping Nebraska from going undefeated in reg season big ten play or finishing in the top 10 like Iowa did in the first 6 years under Ferentz.

I certainly am not going to nitpick if Frost does not win the conference but goes undefeated in the regular season conference but loses in the CCG, goes to a NY6 bowl and finishes in the top 10. That would be a hell of a season and would be considered, in my book, equal to what Ferentz accomplished.

The new AD Eichorst wanted to be the puppet master and couldn't fire Bo that first year because Osborne was still hanging around and providing cover for Bo. The only reason Bo was fired in Eichorst second year is because Osborne had moved on and Shawn needed a new coach that would do whatever he wanted. That is the reason Bo was fired.

Eichorst was a so called lawyer who had no business being a AD by hiring a Head Coach that was competent...

Frost could very well end up the biggest disaster hire, that doesn't change Bo for who he was and the abysmal defenses he put on the field.

Let me put it this way. Bo is definitely not our bar here who we should be comparing Frost to. Bo could be much better than Frost, doesn't change that Bo was terrible at his job.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
where did I say they won the conference outright. They did not have the opportunity to win the conference outright those years because of no conf championship game. It is still a conference championship - much in the same way when Nebraska has 46 conf championships on the wall in the practice facility it includes co champion years. The trophies in the trophy case don’t delineate co and outright conf championships either.

Nothing is keeping Nebraska from going undefeated in reg season big ten play or finishing in the top 10 like Iowa did in the first 6 years under Ferentz.

I certainly am not going to nitpick if Frost does win the conference but goes undefeated in the regular season conference but loses in the CCG, goes to a NY6 bowl and finishes in the top 10. That would be a hell of a season and would be considered, in my book, equal to what Ferentz accomplished.
Simple you put Co Champ is correct..

Are you going to take 9 games into account compared to 8..

Simple you put Co Champ is correct..

Are you going to take 9 games into account compared to 8..

Nebraska doesn't indicate co-champions

1975 is listed plain as day on the wall of Memorial Stadium with the rest of Conference Championships despite finishing 6-1, the same record as Oklahoma but losing head to head to OU 35-10 the last regular game -- not even an asterisk

Nebraska doesn't indicate co-champions

1975 is listed plain as day on the wall of Memorial Stadium with the rest of Conference Championships despite finishing 6-1, the same record as Oklahoma but losing head to head to OU 35-10 the last regular game -- not even an asterisk

I never said that you’re the one that needs to put Kirk Ferentz shared a Big Title his 3rd year..

Our scenarios aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: HuskerO
When I think about the football program under Bo, I'm reminded of what Tom said about Solich after he was fired: there was nothing wrong that couldn't be fixed with a few meetings. I tend to think if Moos was the AD back in 2014 things would have gone much differently for Bo.

His record at YSU is indicative of his ability as a head coach. Callahan set him up quite nicely at Nebraska and I imagine LSU will have some talent ready for him to use as well.
100-55 is a pretty good record for a bad coach if you ask me. That would include YSU's first trip to the 1-AA/FCS title game since Tressel left after the 2000 season.....playing in a conference that is basically the SEC of FCS football.

YSU has made the playoffs twice since Tressel left. Pelini was the coach for one of them.

YSU has some pretty nice facilities, but I don't think it is currently an easy place to recruit to. Get on Google Maps and look at the areas to the north, west, and east of the YSU campus.

Bo won some games. He never won a damn thing of substance here.

Whenever he wasn't crapping the bed against any team with a pulse, he was busy choking in the second half of virtually every game he coached.

Bo is a good football coach. He's a lousy head coach. That's why he's not a head coach any longer.

His last stop he was coaching at a "have" in a conference of mostly "have-nots" and couldn't get it done outside of the one year he brought some P-5 players with him.
If you're referring to Youngstown State......they lost in the title game in 1999 and the second round in 2000. They have made the playoffs twice since then (one was under Bo). That conference routinely sends 3-5 teams to the FCS playoffs as of late, so I'm not sure where you get your opinion that the MVC is a conference of have-nots at that level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT