ADVERTISEMENT

Will Compton on PMT

where did I say they won the conference outright. They did not have the opportunity to win the conference outright those years because of no conf championship game. It is still a conference championship - much in the same way when Nebraska has 46 conf championships on the wall in the practice facility it includes co champion years. The trophies in the trophy case don’t delineate co and outright conf championships either.

Nothing is keeping Nebraska from going undefeated in reg season big ten play or finishing in the top 10 like Iowa did in the first 6 years under Ferentz.

I certainly am not going to nitpick if Frost does not win the conference but goes undefeated in the regular season conference but loses in the CCG, goes to a NY6 bowl and finishes in the top 10. That would be a hell of a season and would be considered, in my book, equal to what Ferentz accomplished.
Firstly, nobody is going to measure Scott Frost off of his first six seasons if he's Nebraska's coach two decades from now like Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa. The only people who are still talking about Iowa playing in the Orange Bowl in the mid-2000s or where they finished rank in some season several years ago are either die-hard Iowa fans or trying to legitimize their stance in a weak argument.

Secondly, Ferentz took over a program from a coach that had been at Iowa for nearly 20 years. Frost took over a program that had four coaches and at least two major shifts in philosophy in a lesser amount of time prior to his arrival. There's no comparison to their starting points in building their programs unless you're going to completely ignore the entire context of where the programs were prior to their first years as head coaches.

Firstly, nobody is going to measure Scott Frost off of his first six seasons if he's Nebraska's coach two decades from now like Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa. The only people who are still talking about Iowa playing in the Orange Bowl in the mid-2000s or where they finished rank in some season several years ago are either die-hard Iowa fans or trying to legitimize their stance in a weak argument.

Secondly, Ferentz took over a program from a coach that had been at Iowa for nearly 20 years. Frost took over a program that had four coaches and at least two major shifts in philosophy in a lesser amount of time prior to his arrival. There's no comparison to their starting points in building their programs unless you're going to completely ignore the entire context of where the programs were prior to their first years as head coaches.

my point was that Ferentz's longevity is based on 3 top 10 finishes in his first 6 years -
Frost would enjoy the same lifetime pass if he accomplished this

Iowa in the 3 years prior to Ferentz 19-16
Nebraska in the 3 years prior to Frost 19-19

pretty close

Ferentz only won 1 game his first year and 3 his second ... then in year 4-6 - fielded a top ten team
Frost's first 2 years were much better than Ferentz - he has a head start

my point was that Ferentz's longevity is based on 3 top 10 finishes in his first 6 years -

pretty close
Iowa was coached by Hayden Fry since 1979 prior to Ferentz's arrival in 1999 and Ferentz even served on his staff. That's program continuity and it's a major point in any rational discussion.

Frost took over a program that had fired its head coach about every five years in the 20 years prior to his arrival.

You're pointing to their records like it's a blanket comparison and it's obviously not that.

pretty close

Ferentz only won 1 game his first year and 3 his second ... then in year 4-6 - fielded a top ten team
I don't think he'd get a lifetime pass, but he'd get quite a bit of (earned) rope if years 4-6 finished in top 10s.

this isn't nearly as profound or far-fetched statement as you think, nor would it be a referendum on the fanbase. what school wouldn't keep a guy who produced 3 straight top 10 finishes for at least another contract's worth of time?

Reactions: egaRdeR
Iowa was coached by Hayden Fry since 1979 prior to Ferentz's arrival in 1999 and Ferentz even served on his staff. That's program continuity and it's a major point in any rational discussion.

Frost took over a program that had fired its head coach about every five years in the 20 years prior to his arrival.

You're pointing to their records like it's a blanket comparison and it's obviously not that.

LOL

everyone laughs at Bo and Ferentz being mediocre coaches at best but when it comes down to brass tacks everyone wants to hedge on whether Frost can actually achieve similar accomplishments

there isn't a section on the scoreboard for all these subjective excuses - it's year 3 -- win

- “There's a scoreboard in life. We shouldn't run from that. We should embrace it.” -

Reactions: Red I 73
LOL

everyone laughs at Bo and Ferentz being mediocre coaches at best but when it comes down to brass tacks everyone wants to hedge on whether Frost can actually achieve similar accomplishments

there isn't a section on the scoreboard for all these subjective excuses - it's year 3 -- win

- “There's a scoreboard in life. We shouldn't run from that. We should embrace it.” -
The people who are laughing see the vision and the potential of Scott Frost while also seeing the ceiling of both Ferentz and Pelini as head coaches and the mundane existence of football purgatory that they bring.

Regarding Frost though, everyone will be on the same side of the table when discussing his worth eventually, but some people are blessed to have the foresight to be able to see what's coming while others see it like you do.

Reactions: red scowl
The people who are laughing see the vision and the potential of Scott Frost while also seeing the ceiling of both Ferentz and Pelini as head coaches and the mundane existence of football purgatory that they bring.

Regarding Frost though, everyone will be on the same side of the table when discussing his worth eventually, but some people are blessed to have the foresight to be able to see what's coming while others see it like you do.

in your great foresight, when do you foresee us actually embracing the scoreboard rather than running from it?

100-55 is a pretty good record for a bad coach if you ask me. That would include YSU's first trip to the 1-AA/FCS title game since Tressel left after the 2000 season.....playing in a conference that is basically the SEC of FCS football.

YSU has made the playoffs twice since Tressel left. Pelini was the coach for one of them.

YSU has some pretty nice facilities, but I don't think it is currently an easy place to recruit to. Get on Google Maps and look at the areas to the north, west, and east of the YSU campus.

What year did they play in the title game? And who where the players that transferred there? Why didn't the success continue?

I edited because there is a history here. We have seen this before with Bo. Try real hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
in your great foresight, when do you foresee us actually embracing the scoreboard rather than running from it?

Nobody's running from the scoreboard, but not everyone understands why the score is what it is. The losses count. Why they happen is what you're failing to understand despite the reasons why having been discussed ad nauseam on this forum.

Lol, bowl banners. Win or lost. LaughingLaughingRollingLaugh:D

pretty close

Garbage comparison. Bo is a coordinator for a reason.

Reactions: Baxter48
Bo is a coordinator for a reason.

agreed ... which is why it should be quite easy for Frost to surpass the record and achievements of a mere coordinator .. should really start to see that in year 3

There's a reason Frost could have picked his team in a year when there were a lot of good openings. He has a ton of potential.

Think about it. If we fired Frost today he would be scooped up at the first chance by a power 5 school. Bo went to YSU for a reason. He's a liability and a defensive guru who often had his defense shredded beyond belief. Not a good combo.

There's a reason Frost could have picked his team in a year when there were a lot of good openings. He has a ton of potential.

Think about it. If we fired Frost today he would be scooped up at the first chance by a power 5 school. Bo went to YSU for a reason. He's a liability and a defensive guru who often had his defense shredded beyond belief. Not a good combo.
People need to realize bozo cost Youngstown a place in the national championship game with one of his outbursts, and how was his record when the once committed Nebraska players graduated.

Bo was a good coach.. Won 9+ minimum.

He never should have let Papuchus run the defense.

Watch what Bo's defense does at LSU (again).

This (whenever) season, LSU is going to a lot of new starters no defense.

Bo won some games. He never won a damn thing of substance here.

Whenever he wasn't crapping the bed against any team with a pulse, he was busy choking in the second half of virtually every game he coached.

Bo is a good football coach. He's a lousy head coach. That's why he's not a head coach any longer.

His last stop he was coaching at a "have" in a conference of mostly "have-nots" and couldn't get it done outside of the one year he brought some P-5 players with him.

tenor.gif

Reactions: HuskerO

I'm not so sure about that.

What year did they play in the title game? And who where the players that transferred there? Why didn't the success continue?

I edited because there is a history here. We have seen this before with Bo. Try real hard.
1) 2016. Lost to James Madison in the title game.

2) I don't know who transferred there. I bet you do, so feel free to enlighten us.

3) The Missouri Valley is the SEC of FCS college football. North Dakota State is about the only program that has been consistently at the top of the conference. Last year, they sent 4 teams to the playoffs (field of 24), and they'll be adding another team that made the 2019 playoffs for 2020. 3 of the 4 were in the final 8 teams.

Bo took the LSU job on Jan. 27th. I keep seeing people talk about how he was about to be fired. If they were going to fire him after last season, they'd have done so by then.

2) I don't know who transferred there. I bet you do, so feel free to enlighten us.

3) The Missouri Valley is the SEC of FCS college football. North Dakota State is about the only program that has been consistently at the top of the conference. Last year, they sent 4 teams to the playoffs (field of 24), and they'll be adding another team that made the 2019 playoffs for 2020. 3 of the 4 were in the final 8 teams.

Bo took the LSU job on Jan. 27th. I keep seeing people talk about how he was about to be fired. If they were going to fire him after last season, they'd have done so by then.

The SEC of the FCS. North Dakota State is Alabama then, of the FCS, of course? Support your claim as it pertains towards Mark Bo Pelini. Educator.

YSU also sits in a recruiting hotbed compared to alot of the good FCS schools. So I've heard the town is a dump. But proximity is still the #1 factor in recruiting.

He doesn't like to recruit. He's a ticking bomb with his behavior. He's a defensive guru who repeatedly got gashed. That's why he was at a mediocre FCS school in a dumpy town.

Frost still has his shine. He had a true frosh qb on Heisman watchlist. He's still thought of as a offensive guru. He's good with the media. He's a good recruiter.

YSU also sits in a recruiting hotbed compared to alot of the good FCS schools. So I've heard the town is a dump. But proximity is still the #1 factor in recruiting.

He doesn't like to recruit. He's a ticking bomb with his behavior. He's a defensive guru who repeatedly got gashed. That's why he was at a mediocre FCS school in a dumpy town.

Frost still has his shine. He had a true frosh qb on Heisman watchlist. He's still thought of as a offensive guru. He's good with the media. He's a good recruiter.
Yes, Ohio sits in a good state for HS prospects....but YSU hasn't been the YSU that people think of since 2000 when it comes to football (as I stated before.....2 playoff appearances since Tressel left 20 years ago). I tend to think that recruits look at things like the city/town the school is in far more nowadays than they used to. Considering that there are other options in the state where you're not going to get shot right off campus (basically every MAC school in the state.....even Toledo and Akron....are in much safer locales when it comes to location), I'm not surprised that YSU has struggled for 20 years.

As far as recruiting, Pelini recruited well enough to win 9-10 games a year. Must not be that bad.

Without looking it up,I would bet all of TO bowl losses were against Top 10 teams..
right.. he couldn't win the big one.

yet he's a hall of fame coach because he figured it out later after deciding not to leave for CU.

had he done that, he would not be the guy he is made out to be today.

Bo isn't hall of fame material, but he was a genuinely likable guy.

The team won games, and was respected.

With Frost, we are now the runt who gets kicked around and laughed at.

hey it worked for TO for many years only to get blown out in the bowl game at the end of the season
TO had 5 bowl losses that would be considered blowouts and they were against;

#2 Miami
#3 Florida St
#1 Georgia Tech (co-National Champs)
#1 Miami (co-National Champs)
#2 Florida St

You're right though, those are equal to Pelini's blowout bowl losses.... GTFO

I’m not here to make excuses about SF, but I for one know what crap he was left with after SE incompetent hiring of a Football coach that didn’t make his players have accountability...

Not one of us happy about the last 2 years but let’s see what happens in the future with accountability in the weight room and his type of athleticism on offense..

Last edited:
A lot of things can be true at the same time, Frost can have inherited a horrendous roster AND also done a disappointing job coaching in the first two years. There were winnable games blown with playcalling and personnel decisions, notably Purdue last year. Special teams not being utter trash probably wins some games as well.

There are guys they might have been able to keep around like Greg Bell at RB, possibly other guys at other positions, but they're trying to build this "War Daddy Up or GTFO" culture. You might win another game or three in the near term with guys like that around. Hopefully they're correct that they can win more games in years 4 and 5 by replacing those guys with "guys who wanna be here." Ironic company line given the arc of his own playing career.

Scott disappointing through two years doesn't retroactively make anyone else a better coach. NU was blessed at HC in the late 1900s the way Green Bay has been blessed at QB. We got legends back to back in Devaney and Osborne. The law of averages has come home to roost since then and we've had a run of mediocre-to-good coaches.

Every time I watch an analysis of what HCSF likes to do on offense I spot a weakness of NU's that keeps him from being able to do it. He's trying to swallow some bitter medicine in the early years to build a deep, experienced roster.

Ultimately it's his job and his assistants' jobs to either teach kids to execute or failing that, call what they can run. Starting this year, they need to play like a team that gets coached well Sunday - Friday. The days of being able to blame the roster are over, he's had enough time to build a team that does better than 4-5 wins. If the kids he signs don't stay, guess who's accountable for that?

It's one thing to be outclassed by teams like OSU and Michigan that are loaded to the gills with 4* and 5* kids. It's another to outcoach yourself when teams are trying to hand you a game on a silver platter or to not be able to slap together 11 guys who can execute punt return well enough to catch the ball and move it forward a few yards.

Yes, Ohio sits in a good state for HS prospects....but YSU hasn't been the YSU that people think of since 2000 when it comes to football (as I stated before.....2 playoff appearances since Tressel left 20 years ago). I tend to think that recruits look at things like the city/town the school is in far more nowadays than they used to. Considering that there are other options in the state where you're not going to get shot right off campus (basically every MAC school in the state.....even Toledo and Akron....are in much safer locales when it comes to location), I'm not surprised that YSU has struggled for 20 years.

As far as recruiting, Pelini recruited well enough to win 9-10 games a year. Must not be that bad.
Your wrong. Playing in front of family is still the biggest factor. You act like fargo or Brookings is Miami.

A lot of things can be true at the same time, Frost can have inherited a horrendous roster AND also done a disappointing job coaching in the first two years. There were winnable games blown with playcalling and personnel decisions, notably Purdue last year. Special teams not being utter trash probably wins some games as well.

There are guys they might have been able to keep around like Greg Bell at RB, possibly other guys at other positions, but they're trying to build this "War Daddy Up or GTFO" culture. You might win another game or three in the near term with guys like that around. Hopefully they're correct that they can win more games in years 4 and 5 by replacing those guys with "guys who wanna be here." Ironic company line given the arc of his own playing career.

Scott disappointing through two years doesn't retroactively make anyone else a better coach. NU was blessed at HC in the late 1900s the way Green Bay has been blessed at QB. We got legends back to back in Devaney and Osborne. The law of averages has come home to roost since then and we've had a run of mediocre-to-good coaches.

Every time I watch an analysis of what HCSF likes to do on offense I spot a weakness of NU's that keeps him from being able to do it. He's trying to swallow some bitter medicine in the early years to build a deep, experienced roster.

Ultimately it's his job and his assistants' jobs to either teach kids to execute or failing that, call what they can run. Starting this year, they need to play like a team that gets coached well Sunday - Friday. The days of being able to blame the roster are over, he's had enough time to build a team that does better than 4-5 wins. If the kids he signs don't stay, guess who's accountable for that?

It's one thing to be outclassed by teams like OSU and Michigan that are loaded to the gills with 4* and 5* kids. It's another to outcoach yourself when teams are trying to hand you a game on a silver platter or to not be able to slap together 11 guys who can execute punt return well enough to catch the ball and move it forward a few yards.

Excellent post Beav. It seems as if one says anything negative about the coaching staff it means we want them all fired and to start all over again. No, it means we can't keep making the same simple mistakes over and over, whether it be in coaching or execution on the field. There is enough of each to go around.

bo made Nebraska a joke. his weekly tantrums were regular fodder for the college football world, and he even provided his own exclamation points at the end of every season by getting his ass destroyed in increasingly embarrassing fashion.

he claimed 'we are back' then made melvin gordon look like Secretariat.

you call that winning? the joke's on you, too.
And he was absolute shitty to the fans. If anyone else treated clients the way he treated us, they’d be fired too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT