ADVERTISEMENT

Will Compton on PMT

A lot of things can be true at the same time, Frost can have inherited a horrendous roster AND also done a disappointing job coaching in the first two years. There were winnable games blown with playcalling and personnel decisions, notably Purdue last year. Special teams not being utter trash probably wins some games as well.

There are guys they might have been able to keep around like Greg Bell at RB, possibly other guys at other positions, but they're trying to build this "War Daddy Up or GTFO" culture. You might win another game or three in the near term with guys like that around. Hopefully they're correct that they can win more games in years 4 and 5 by replacing those guys with "guys who wanna be here." Ironic company line given the arc of his own playing career.

Scott disappointing through two years doesn't retroactively make anyone else a better coach. NU was blessed at HC in the late 1900s the way Green Bay has been blessed at QB. We got legends back to back in Devaney and Osborne. The law of averages has come home to roost since then and we've had a run of mediocre-to-good coaches.

Every time I watch an analysis of what HCSF likes to do on offense I spot a weakness of NU's that keeps him from being able to do it. He's trying to swallow some bitter medicine in the early years to build a deep, experienced roster.

Ultimately it's his job and his assistants' jobs to either teach kids to execute or failing that, call what they can run. Starting this year, they need to play like a team that gets coached well Sunday - Friday. The days of being able to blame the roster are over, he's had enough time to build a team that does better than 4-5 wins. If the kids he signs don't stay, guess who's accountable for that?

It's one thing to be outclassed by teams like OSU and Michigan that are loaded to the gills with 4* and 5* kids. It's another to outcoach yourself when teams are trying to hand you a game on a silver platter or to not be able to slap together 11 guys who can execute punt return well enough to catch the ball and move it forward a few yards.
except it's not like he was left with nothing.

Scott turned the entire frigging roster over, on his own accord. We had plenty of talent here, it just didn't fit his system. Scott ran off a lot of guys. Heck, there are players that Scott recruited that never even made it here. Scott has a funny way of securing nice talent, only to be left scratching your head in the summertime because either they didn't qualify, or changed their minds, or got injured and whatever the issue was.

That is still on Scott. You can't blame Mike Riley for what Scott has done with running everyone off and bringing in his own recruits.

Don't like to see what happened to Space Cowboy? Scott recruited him. Did he look after him? who knows... I just see the roster management the past 3 years as a revolving door with some wonder if anyone is developing anyone except the weight room coach?

Scott has been an abysmal hire so far and hate to see nice folks like yourselves make excuses for a lame coach.

Scott turned the entire frigging roster over, on his own accord. We had plenty of talent here, it just didn't fit his system. Scott ran off a lot of guys. Heck, there are players that Scott recruited that never even made it here. Scott has a funny way of securing nice talent, only to be left scratching your head in the summertime because either they didn't qualify, or changed their minds, or got injured and whatever the issue was.

That is still on Scott. You can't blame Mike Riley for what Scott has done with running everyone off and bringing in his own recruits.

Don't like to see what happened to Space Cowboy? Scott recruited him. Did he look after him? who knows... I just see the roster management the past 3 years as a revolving door with some wonder if anyone is developing anyone except the weight room coach?

Scott has been an abysmal hire so far and hate to see nice folks like yourselves make excuses for a lame coach.

I agree with he did it on his own accord, but what talent do you speak of? Speilman was a stud and Jaimes is good, but outside of that what did we really have? I'd argue Duval made Ozigbo to what he is now. It's just depressing we have sucked for so long. I'm with you on not being that optimistic anymore. I love my Huskers, but until they show me something, it is hard to get as excited about a season.

TO had 5 bowl losses that would be considered blowouts and they were against;

#2 Miami
#3 Florida St
#1 Georgia Tech (co-National Champs)
#1 Miami (co-National Champs)
#2 Florida St

You're right though, those are equal to Pelini's blowout bowl losses.... GTFO
I never said that. talk about a straw man argument right there..

I never said Bo>TO.. show me where I did?

I only compared Bo to all the other coaches who sucked here after Tom.

How many years did it take TO to start winning those games? was it more than 7 years?

I don't know, and not going to bother looking it up, because it had nothing to do with comparing Bo to Tom as to who was better.. that is silly, but I can say that no other coach has come as close to what Tom did, as Bo.

he was a genuinely likable guy.

The team won games, and was respected.

You serious Clark?

A list of some people that didn't like or respect Bo
-opposing coaches
-Referees
-TV broadcasters
-Most Nebraska fans
-Anyone working close to him on the sidelines, no one likes to get spit on
-Random fan in the basement of the Cornhusker Hotel
-Parents of youth teams opposing his kids teams
-Referees of youth sports
-The poor soul that had to wash Bo's pants after games
-Dirk Chatelain
-Boosters with good looking wives and daughters
-Bo's basement couch
-Bill Snyder
-Other power 5 ADs hiring new head coaches

I mean, that is just off the top of my head.

I agree with he did it on his own accord, but what talent do you speak of? Speilman was a stud and Jaimes is good, but outside of that what did we really have? I'd argue Duval made Ozigbo to what he is now. It's just depressing we have sucked for so long. I'm with you on not being that optimistic anymore. I love my Huskers, but until they show me something, it is hard to get as excited about a season.
well we can't have it both ways.. Since he ran off all those Mike Riley guys that didn't fit, then Scott has to be responsible for the roster that he replaced them with. Everyone seems happy with the talent recruited in, but then it doesn't translate to the field. So maybe that recruiting isn't what it's all cracked up to be, OR they aren't doing a good job of developing players. The only excuse you can make is that they were young. But again, the door continues to revolve like this at other schools where Freshman step up and win championships.. so I have a hard time blaming Mike Riley for this mess. It's all on Scott.

You serious Clark?

-opposing coaches
-Referees
-TV broadcasters
-Most Nebraska fans
-Dirk Chatelain
-Bo's basement couch
-Bill Snyder

link?

Please re-read what I wrote. Tell me where I said "respect Bo". It was the team and program that were respected. Can't have a conversation with a person that can't even get context correct.

well we can't have it both ways.. Since he ran off all those Mike Riley guys that didn't fit, then Scott has to be responsible for the roster that he replaced them with. Everyone seems happy with the talent recruited in, but then it doesn't translate to the field. So maybe that recruiting isn't what it's all cracked up to be, OR they aren't doing a good job of developing players. The only excuse you can make is that they were young. But again, the door continues to revolve like this at other schools where Freshman step up and win championships.. so I have a hard time blaming Mike Riley for this mess. It's all on Scott.

There is a bit of a revolving door, but I'm not sure most who have left recently are contributors. Scott is going to have to win soon period, but this year there are a lot of folks on early lists for post season honors. Time for that talent to show what they can do. This is the first year it should really be all on Scott. Most of his players are in place and have had 2 years in the program. I think I'll judge him a lot harder after what happens this year.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
link?

Please re-read what I wrote. Tell me where I said "respect Bo". It was the team and program that were respected. Can't have a conversation with a person that can't even get context correct.
Damn, you got me. But then are you saying people don't respect Bo?

By the way, the list stays the same if it is just based off liking Bo.

You take your Bo defense a little too seriously.

You serious Clark?

-opposing coaches
-Referees
-TV broadcasters
-Most Nebraska fans
-Dirk Chatelain
-Bo's basement couch
-Bill Snyder

add to your list a random fan on a message board who had one of Pelini's staff making phone calls trying to find out where he lived.... The guy has mental health issues. Glad he's gone.

I never said that. talk about a straw man argument right there..

I never said Bo>TO.. show me where I did?

I only compared Bo to all the other coaches who sucked here after Tom.

How many years did it take TO to start winning those games? was it more than 7 years?

I don't know, and not going to bother looking it up, because it had nothing to do with comparing Bo to Tom as to who was better.. that is silly, but I can say that no other coach has come as close to what Tom did, as Bo.
I understand you're not saying BO > TO (I wasn't saying you were saying that btw), but you're trying to equate the two or at least trying to say Bo wasn't that bad because TO struggled too.

How many yeas did it take TO to start winning those games? Bo never got close to playing against the caliber of teams TO did during the bowl season so that's an unfair question since you can't compare the two.

Just because Bo was the closest to TO in terms of success doesn't mean he was good. It just means he's sucked the least..

Should Scott have won a few more games and gone bowling? Absolutely. Was he left with a terrible roster? Absolutely. How many years have we run a 3-4 now and still don't have outside linebackers or DE's that are fit for that system? Were finally playing players at some positions for the system they were recruited for. OL had no depth from Bo on. No depth period for Bo or Riley. Always plugging holes.

Should Scott have won a few more games and gone bowling? Absolutely. Was he left with a terrible roster? Absolutely. How many years have we run a 3-4 now and still don't have outside linebackers or DE's that are fit for that system? Were finally playing players at some positions for the system they were recruited for. OL had no depth from Bo on. No depth period for Bo or Riley. Always plugging holes.
how can you complain that Scott was left with a terrible roster when he ran most of it off? Also, he ran off mostly offensive talent. Hmmm.. what's been the big problem last 2 years? Offense! hey, isn't that a coincidence?!

add to your list a random fan on a message board who had one of Pelini's staff making phone calls trying to find out where he lived.... The guy has mental health issues. Glad he's gone.
This is not real clear. Do you mean that Pelini had the staff member try to find out where the fan lived?

how can you complain that Scott was left with a terrible roster when he ran most of it off? Also, he ran off mostly offensive talent. Hmmm.. what's been the big problem last 2 years? Offense! hey, isn't that a coincidence?!
What "talent" did he run off other than Spielman? As far as I can tell no one that left has done anything anywhere else. O-line looks like it has the best depth in years. Qb is deeper than since....... i don't even know. That's with "running off" the veteran backup.

We still have holes but at least were addressing them through organized recruiting. Riley and Williams left us with major holes at wr, which Frost is addressing.

Frost has a lot of room for improvement but at least he runs an organized program.

At those schools where freshmen step up and win championships, how many upperclassmen filled the trenches for them? How many upperclassmen were in the starting lineup?

You can’t just say because Scott’s freshmen aren’t winning championships then Scott must suck.

S

so exactly why are you a Nebraska fan?

S

so exactly why are you a Nebraska fan?
good question, because all I have seen is the program deteriorate year after year.. and it sucks

and then I have to come on here and you guys just defend the same status quo.. it reminds me of the Mike Riley days.. a gang of people on here pretending to be fans by protecting the suckage... that's what it feels like. It makes me want to blame the downfall on you guys, and maybe that is why I feel like Bo did.

What "talent" did he run off other than Spielman? As far as I can tell no one that left has done anything anywhere else. O-line looks like it has the best depth in years. Qb is deeper than since....... i don't even know. That's with "running off" the veteran backup.

We still have holes but at least were addressing them through organized recruiting. Riley and Williams left us with major holes at wr, which Frost is addressing.

Frost has a lot of room for improvement but at least he runs an organized program.
listen to yourselves.. grasping for straws... "organized recruiting". wow.

good question, because all I have seen is the program deteriorate year after year.. and it sucks

and then I have to come on here and you guys just defend the same status quo.. it reminds me of the Mike Riley days.. a gang of people on here pretending to be fans by protecting the suckage... that's what it feels like. It makes me want to blame the downfall on you guys, and maybe that is why I feel like Bo did.

A ton of people never excepted the Riley hire and at best were cautiously optimistic like myself, very few were on his band wagon especially in year 3.

A ton of people never excepted the Riley hire and at best were cautiously optimistic like myself, very few were on his band wagon especially in year 3.
not true.. this site was rife with that Mike Riley narrative..

Remember, we were killing it in recruiting then..

but now, you all want to say his recruiting sucked and it left the cupboard bare for Scott... ugh..

see, it's all a bunch of revisionist bs.

not true.. this site was rife with that Mike Riley narrative..

Remember, we were killing it in recruiting then..

but now, you all want to say his recruiting sucked and it left the cupboard bare for Scott... ugh..

see, it's all a bunch of revisionist bs.

Riley was killing it with all those WR’s that never amounted to a hill of beans except for Spielman and Morgan Stanley..

Nothing against Gebbia but he is at Oregon St and hasn’t started a game yet unless he started the last game of the year because of injury..

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Riley was killing it with all those WR’s that never amounted to a hill of beans except for Spielman and Morgan Stanley..

Nothing against Gebbia but he is at Oregon St and hasn’t started a game yet unless he started the last game of the year because of injury..
so either Riley was killing it, or he wasn't.. which is it?

if he was, then why didn't any of those receivers amount to anything around here.. and why has the WR position been a big position of need for the last two years.. Frost ran those guys off.. why? doesn't make much sense..

The reality is this. People don't like how the first two years have went, but want to minimize past coaches success to try to make frost look better than he is. They make excuses for him, they don't want to hold him accountable.

I think that is how you end up as a loser program, and that's where we are trending lately.

There is a formula that worked here. But Frost doesn't want to follow it. He wants to do his own thing. The results show it.

Bo actually tried to do it using the old formula, and we won more games.

Until they get someone in here that will actually do it the right way, it's going to be lost seasons, years, and decades around Lincoln.

Dude, you take this waaaaay too serious.

You really feel like blaming "the down fall on you guys"? This board has way less pull than you think.

Everyone has a different tolerance level and varying views on future potential. If you want everyone to think the same as you maybe you should look somewhere else.

No one likes how things have gone or how they are going. Some just have faith, whether blind or not, that things will get better. In my view, nothing I say or do is going to change it. So I might as well figure out how to deal with it.

Reactions: scarletred

if he was, then why didn't any of those receivers amount to anything around here.. and why has the WR position been a big position of need for the last two years.. Frost ran those guys off.. why? doesn't make much sense..

The reality is this. People don't like how the first two years have went, but want to minimize past coaches success to try to make frost look better than he is. They make excuses for him, they don't want to hold him accountable.

I think that is how you end up as a loser program, and that's where we are trending lately.

There is a formula that worked here. But Frost doesn't want to follow it. He wants to do his own thing. The results show it.

Until they get someone in here that will actually do it the right way, it's going to be lost seasons, years, and decades around Lincoln.

FFS man, get a grip. You can't hold Frost accountable. And we aren't going to make this a loser program.

Reactions: Yossarian23
@NikkiSixx, I freely admit I was a Riley supporter. And I don’t apologize for it either. What kind of fan must you be to bitch and moan from nearly day 1 of a new coach (you started way early with the narrative that Frost strung Gebbia along and botched it then, and has never done anything to your satisfaction since)? I supported Riley because nothing I said or did would change the hire. So instead of being miserable from day 1, I got behind the hire.

You have been insufferable since the beginning of the Frost era, and you want to blame the fans on this board who still support Frost for your bad attitude?

What is wrong with you? Seriously, seek a professional, or get off this board. We are obviously negatively impacting your mental health.

I’ll admit at first I supported him,same as with bozo and frank, but as the first season unfolded I wanted that clown fired in year one

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

People are willing to give him more than 2 years. That’s reality.

Are you?

This is like a drunken college argument with your roommates. Your the guy taking the extreme side just to try and get everyone worked up. EVERYONE thinks that Frost made mistakes and has a lot of room for improvement. But you seem to be the only person I've ever seen that wants to run him out of town after 2 years.

You skipped over it before so I'll ask again. What talent did he run off other than Spielman?

This is like a drunken college argument with your roommates. Your the guy taking the extreme side just to try and get everyone worked up. EVERYONE thinks that Frost made mistakes and has a lot of room for improvement. But you seem to be the only person I've ever seen that wants to run him out of town after 2 years.

You skipped over it before so I'll ask again. What talent did he run off other than Spielman?
If I list the names, you will just say, oh what has that person done at so and so college, so, your question is a trap.

Maybe I am the only person that wants him gone. He's also the worst coach we have had to come in here and perform this poorly in his first 2 years. Everyone else wants to blame it on talent from another coach, but Coach Frost didn't use those guys, he sent most of them packing (mostly offensive) and where have our problems been? on offense.

I get that you want to make excuses for the head coach. I don't.

Last edited:
That is because it is the truth.
that is not a valid argument. it doesn't matter what someone else does at a different school.

Frost ran those guys off himself. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this.

IF he had used those guys, AND had terrible results on offense, THEN you can blame the prior coaches players.

that is not what happened.

Maybe I am the only person that wants him gone.
after months of dancing around this, he finally admits it.

this has become too emotional for you.

Frost has a chance to prove he belongs, and he parlayed 1 year of success into a guaranteed stint here. if he wins, he'll stay. if he doesn't, he won't. it's really that simple.

that is not a valid argument. it doesn't matter what someone else does at a different school.

Frost ran those guys off himself. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this.

IF he had used those guys, AND had terrible results on offense, THEN you can blame the prior coaches players.

that is not what happened.
Your making a strange argument. JD would have been nice to have. Gebbia would have been nice to have but wasn't necessarily a perfect fit for the O. What else is there to say? For years we wanted a more Saban like program where players who weren't going to play leave and free up schollys. Now that happens and people like are complaining.

The bottom line is that nothing would damage our program more than firing Frost in the next year. We need stability and it may as well be the hot shot former player who EVERYONE wanted the year he was hired. It wasn't like he was a reach. He literally could have picked his job that winter for any opening.

I don't see excuses. I see common sense. As a program we have backed ourselves into this corner. The odds of hitting on a coach that will magically turn things around is extremely small. You tell me who you think we should replace Frost with right now? Someone realistic. Not Dabo or Saban.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT