ADVERTISEMENT

Why all the TO attacks

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
I dont think in my 12 years or so on this site I have ever seen so many people attack TO before - while certainly not a saint and yes he has hired a couple of football coaches that did not pan out the lack of respect for this man astounds me

Lets look at these coaching decisions that failed

* Solich - at the time of retirement Nu was at the peak of its power in the football world. If we had gone outside the current circle of coaches and it had failed fans would have bene rioting in the streets. " Why change something that is working why upset the apple cart" Solich did reasonably well, played in a MNC game had a confer title, lack of recruiting and aging assistants ultimately did him in. I agreed with the change in coaching however to blame TO for putting Solich as HC is hindsight thinking at best

* After the BC hiring fiasco Harvey runs back into TO's arms, he comes out of retirement to help save a program he in large part built. He fires Callahan and goes after Bo, who at the time was thought of as one of the premier defensive minds in CFB. He was also highly thought of by fans for his 2003 stint at NU. The hiring decision was not wrong and universally hailed as the correct decision

Bo's tenure goes pretty much as planned the first couple of years. 2008 we win 9 games which a major acheivement based on the 2007 team. 2009 although a rocky year for the offense, Bo fielded a title type defense and came within 1 second of Big12 title. 2010 also started very well but ended in a horrible game against UW. We were held out of a BCS game by a clearly biased by the Big12 against A&M and blew a big lead against OU in the title game. This with hobbled TM who was hurt during a blow out win against MU who at the time was ranked what 2nd or 3rd in the country? and coming off a win against OU

Bo's horrible attitude and childish behavior got him rightfully fired. yes maybe TO stuck by him too much but based on his coaching experience that should not have been unexpected

I am past all this Bo stuff and hope Riley does great here. I think however this bashing of anything or anyone who was even remotely associated with Bo really needs to go away
This post was edited on 3/5 3:21 PM by SnohomishRed

I don't think anyone is "attacking" Tom Osborne. You seem to think that discussing his shortcomings means we don't love or appreciate the former head coach. He's a legend, not god. So, it's ok to discuss how he leveraged his position at NU and his image around the sate to impact decision making at NU as he was going out the door and well after. It does seem as if TO is bitter. Maybe he just can't help but let his feelings slip out. He is after all human. Also, keep in mind we are not Penn State.

This post was edited on 3/5 3:31 PM by bigboxes

If TO doesn't have anything good to say about the program or us horrible impatient fans, then why say anything given all the good years he is associated with? Simply decline the interviews. Or at least, cut the backhanded bitter remarks. It makes him look like a he's dying for attention and relevance. Never saw this crap from Devaney.

HTO, I really want to know why that is a "Huskerlini" statement.

Bo being gone IMO was the right decision and as I've said before I am cautiously optimistic about Riley, and anxious to see where we go. That being said, I too would say I'm over the Bo thing. He's gone, we're happy, end of story. I don't see the point in dragging it up constantly in threads as some do (not saying you do, I really haven't seen you do it), and that is what I mean by saying I'm over it.

In my mind, it's kind of like if you were to date someone who keeps talking about their ex. You understand the frustration, but after awhile it really gets annoying.

Again, not saying you have done the above, but more so just asking why "being over it" is a "Huskerlini" statement.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by MichHusker :

If TO doesn't have anything good to say about the program or us horrible impatient fans, then why say anything given all the good years he is associated with? Simply decline the interviews. Or at least, cut the backhanded bitter remarks. It makes him look like a he's dying for attention and relevance. Never saw this crap from Devaney.
So..
TO has nothing good to say about the program and is dying for attention and relevance?

I guess he's the perfect candidate to be a regular poster on this board.

This post was edited on 3/5 4:27 PM by 1fansopinion

Bo was TO's hire - he wants to put the best spin on that fact. I don't blame him. But given all the juice out there on "Bo hate" - it is easy to start picking anything TO says about Bo apart.

Was it a terrible hire...like Callahan....no

But it ended up being a "miss" similar to Solich - we have moved on. So has Bo. There is alot of passion around Husker football to get back to championships and being in the hunt for a MNC. If MR gets us there - people will still be pissed off we did not hire MR back when we hired Bo. "How did we miss the opportunity???" If MR falls on his face....well maybe a few more realize hiring a HFBC is dang hard unless you have a really fat wallet.

Originally posted by bigboxes:
I don't think anyone is "attacking" Tom Osborne.
"wow, he is still defending that dirt bag."

"He is too thin-skinned for the role and cannot tolerate the concept of his picks (god forbid) being wrong."

"he got pissy"

"but still groused about it for years"

"to quote Bill Callahan "What a crusty old fart"

"So tired of this kind of crap from TO.:

"Tom has become a very bitter man"

"Really sad that Tom can't be the bigger man and reach out and give the new guy some props."

"Bitter Osborne remains bitter."

Pretty simple, fans of Pelini then the Huskers hence the combination of the two followed by the word fans, not statement.

Callahan was talked about for years, and people expect Pelini to be dropped 3 months after he was canned?! Not gonna happen. He threatened a fan, told the entire fan base to f*** off, he dared the administration to can him, he embarrassed the University and state multiple times, crapped over traditions, disrespected former players and coaches and acted like a bitch in his "farewell to the players".

So no, people aren't gonna drop it.

Sorry Tom, no one is attacking TO. More like calls it how they see it. As I said before we are not Penn State and their cult of personality. TO is who he is. A good man, but not without faults. So, if someone calls you out on your behavior it's not "attacking". That's a victim mentality.

Michael Jordan is the best basketball player I've ever watched play. He was also a below average baseball player.

Originally posted by SnohomishRed:
I dont think in my 12 years or so on this site I have ever seen so many people attack TO before - while certainly not a saint and yes he has hired a couple of football coaches that did not pan out the lack of respect for this man astounds me

Lets look at these coaching decisions that failed

* Solich - at the time of retirement Nu was at the peak of its power in the football world. If we had gone outside the current circle of coaches and it had failed fans would have bene rioting in the streets. " Why change something that is working why upset the apple cart" Solich did reasonably well, played in a MNC game had a confer title, lack of recruiting and aging assistants ultimately did him in. I agreed with the change in coaching however to blame TO for putting Solich as HC is hindsight thinking at best

* After the BC hiring fiasco Harvey runs back into TO's arms, he comes out of retirement to help save a program he in large part built. He fires Callahan and goes after Bo, who at the time was thought of as one of the premier defensive minds in CFB. He was also highly thought of by fans for his 2003 stint at NU. The hiring decision was not wrong and universally hailed as the correct decision

This post was edited on 3/5 3:21 PM by SnohomishRed
Totally disagree with both of these. TO's retirement was so unexpected that I don't think most fans had really considered a succession plan. I don't think people were expecting him to hand over the reins to Solich. There were outside coaches that the fanbase would have been happy with and likely would have been at least as successful as Solich. As far as Bo is concerned, the extent to which his hiring was "universally hailed as the correct decision" was because people knew that it was either going to be him or Turner Gill. There was no way he was going to hire outside those two. There were a relative few who wanted(and expected) Gill, but most people thought Bo was the better of the two. So in that respect, it was hailed as the correct decision. But that doesn't mean somebody else wouldn't have been accepted and people didn't wonder what if we had opened up the search outside of those two.

This post was edited on 3/5 5:14 PM by Truehuskerfan

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:

Originally posted by bigboxes:
I don't think anyone is "attacking" Tom Osborne.
"wow, he is still defending that dirt bag."

"He is too thin-skinned for the role and cannot tolerate the concept of his picks (god forbid) being wrong."

"he got pissy"

"but still groused about it for years"

"to quote Bill Callahan "What a crusty old fart"

"So tired of this kind of crap from TO.:

"Tom has become a very bitter man"

"Really sad that Tom can't be the bigger man and reach out and give the new guy some props."

"Bitter Osborne remains bitter."
+1;

TO's retirement maybe came as a surprise to fans, but it certainly did not come as a surprise to him, or Solich.

This was an agreement between Osborne and Solich and Osborne fulfilled his end of the agreement. Pure and simple. There was never an option for his replacement to be anyone other than Solich as that was the main reason he stepped down.

All other stories/reasons were secondary (if existent at all.)

The Nebraska phenomenon could easily have ended with Devaney's retirement, but TO's work kept us relevant for another 20+ years. So, while it is OK to disagree with a comment he makes now, calling him names or the like is really unwarranted. But some posters on this board can't discuss any issue without including ad hominem attacks or just childish name-calling of anyone at all they disagree with. I finally started using the "ignore" button this year for the first time, it makes the board visits more pleasant.

TO was a great FB coach, and loyalty to his assistants was probably the coin of the realm during his tenure. For different reasons, the two guys he picked couldn't operate at a high D1 level. Granted, we see this in comparison to Bob and TO. Lots of other programs would love our level of success since 1997.
So he might be a bit butthurt over being on the outside looking in. Maybe it's time to let it go and just support the program. This Riley guy seems like a nice fella. Help him out.

Originally posted by jimbosc:
Bo was TO's hire - he wants to put the best spin on that fact. I don't blame him. But given all the juice out there on "Bo hate" - it is easy to start picking anything TO says about Bo apart.

But it ended up being a "miss" similar to Solich - we have moved on. So has Bo. There is alot of passion around Husker football to get back to championships and being in the hunt for a MNC. If MR gets us there - people will still be pissed off we did not hire MR back when we hired Bo. "How did we miss the opportunity???" If MR falls on his face....well maybe a few more realize hiring a HFBC is dang hard unless you have a really fat wallet.

Exactly!

Of course, this very forum was for at least two years flooded to the gills with endless fans hating Solich and being extremely confident that our new "NFL Genius" (Callahan) would have us playing for all the money very, "very" soon.

You can bet the ranch every single one of them will deny it now though.

So, here we are again....the haters are on a huge roll,,,,,,and MR is our savior.

I predict that if MR falls on his face.....

1. No poster on here will ever admit they were behind the hire.

2. just "maybe" two or three posters just might start to think that we were just extremely lucky to have Devaney & TO.

Originally posted by inWV:

Maybe it's time to let it go and just support the program. This Riley guy seems like a nice fella. Help him out.
Ummmmmm...He is helping him out. If he did anymore he would be accused of not letting Riley breathe.

In December after the hiring:
Tom Osborne: "The main thing is for fans to continue to support [the program], I think that's really important." Osborne said he doesn't know Mike Riley, the new head coach of the Nebraska football team, but he's heard great things about him."

Last week:
Tom's son Mike set up the lunch. "It was nothing real dramatic," Riley said. "It was just a real neat thing to do, and I appreciated him doing it. It was fun." They talked about the Blackshirts, Recruiting, and Offensive Philosophy.

Maybe it's time to let it go and just support the program. This Riley guy seems like a nice fella. Help him out.
Ummmmmm...He is helping him out. If he did anymore he would be accused of not letting Riley breathe.

In December after the hiring:
Tom Osborne: "The main thing is for fans to continue to support [the program], I think that's really important." Osborne said he doesn't know Mike Riley, the new head coach of the Nebraska football team, but he's heard great things about him."

Last week:
Tom's son Mike set up the lunch. "It was nothing real dramatic," Riley said. "It was just a real neat thing to do, and I appreciated him doing it. It was fun." They talked about the Blackshirts, Recruiting, and Offensive Philosophy.
so he agrees to go to lunch to meet and possibly help the new coach which he thought was private and informal and now he gets blasted because of what he said ???

Plus the impetus for the lunch came from the Osbornes. The TO narrative on this board is completely whack.

TT, I don't think complaining about a lunch between the present NU coach and a former HOF NU coach (that your son set up) rises to the level of almost suffocating the new coach with support.

Originally posted by bshirt73:

Originally posted by jimbosc:

Exactly!

Of course, this very forum was for at least two years flooded to the gills with endless fans hating Solich and being extremely confident that our new "NFL Genius" (Callahan) would have us playing for all the money very, "very" soon.

You can bet the ranch every single one of them will deny it now though.

So, here we are again....the haters are on a huge roll,,,,,,and MR is our savior.

I predict that if MR falls on his face.....

1. No poster on here will ever admit they were behind the hire.

2. just "maybe" two or three posters just might start to think that we were just extremely lucky to have Devaney & TO.
bshirt, admit it, you lost. No one that wanted Bo Pelini gone wanted Callahan back, nor did we want Osborne gone. We don't know about HCMR yet. For now, he's a breath of fresh air.

TT, I don't think complaining about a lunch between the present NU coach and a former HOF NU coach (that your son set up) rises to the level of almost suffocating the new coach with support.
You haven't been around these parts long enough...just wait.

Originally posted by Nebraska Fan:
who did he threaten?
It's no longer a secret.

I can't recall all the details because I actually have a life, but here is the best I can recall "reported" here. Bo on a Saturday of a big game (Texas 2010?), Carl, and a police officer from Lincoln, cornered a booster in the basement of the Cornhusker hotel who was presumed to be engaged in some nefarious activity involving the team, and threatened the booster in some way. Since a police officer was involved, you would think this would have been legal threatening-i.e. stop or you go to jail. I forget what it was-gambling, extra benefits or the like. The booster was shocked and hurt, turned out to be innocent, and Bo and crew went on their way, getting beat by Texas.

The story then goes that HP had to get on a plane and personally apologize to the booster for BP's screw-up, and smooth things over. BP it is said, never apologized. It would follow then that from that point on, HP was looking to move on from BP, hired BP's opposite in an AD, and hoped nature would take its course, which it did.

I am patiently waiting for all the sophisticated "butthurt"/Hukerllini, "Bolover", etc. replies to this post, and that I don't "know the real details which were much worse blah, blah, blah".

Whatever.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Pretty simple, fans of Pelini then the Huskers hence the combination of the two followed by the word fans, not statement.

Callahan was talked about for years, and people expect Pelini to be dropped 3 months after he was canned?! Not gonna happen. He threatened a fan, told the entire fan base to f*** off, he dared the administration to can him, he embarrassed the University and state multiple times, crapped over traditions, disrespected former players and coaches and acted like a bitch in his "farewell to the players".

So no, people aren't gonna drop it.
MODS. Since the made up word "huskerlini" is allowed am I now allowed to use the term "debras" when referencing negative people? Its pretty much the same thing, a condensed word from the term " debbie downer" just like pelini > huskers = huskerlinis. I would appreciate a serious answer. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by nufaninouland:

Originally posted by Nebraska Fan:
who did he threaten?
It's no longer a secret.

I can't recall all the details because I actually have a life, but here is the best I can recall "reported" here. Bo on a Saturday of a big game (Texas 2010?), Carl, and a police officer from Lincoln, cornered a booster in the basement of the Cornhusker hotel who was presumed to be engaged in some nefarious activity involving the team, and threatened the booster in some way. Since a police officer was involved, you would think this would have been legal threatening-i.e. stop or you go to jail. I forget what it was-gambling, extra benefits or the like. The booster was shocked and hurt, turned out to be innocent, and Bo and crew went on their way, getting beat by Texas.

The story then goes that HP had to get on a plane and personally apologize to the booster for BP's screw-up, and smooth things over. BP it is said, never apologized. It would follow then that from that point on, HP was looking to move on from BP, hired BP's opposite in an AD, and hoped nature would take its course, which it did.

I am patiently waiting for all the sophisticated "butthurt"/Hukerllini, "Bolover", etc. replies to this post, and that I don't "know the real details which were much worse blah, blah, blah".

Whatever.
You mad bro?

hb13, please don't quote that idiot anymore, some of us have him on ignore for a reason. His latest response is wrong, way wrong, and shows he's a part of another message board where facts are far and few between. Geezus christ that was a terrible read. My goodness.

This post was edited on 3/6 8:06 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

Only when the threads are gone so you can recreate what was stated.

This post was edited on 3/6 8:42 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

hb13, please don't quote that idiot anymore, some of us have him on ignore for a reason. His latest response is wrong, way wrong, and shows he's a part of another message board where facts are far and few between. Geezus christ that was a terrible read. My goodness.

This post was edited on 3/6 8:06 AM by HuskerTimOmaha
Yeah his story is...a little bit off. Not surprising.

Sorry T-squared, I meant I don't think complaining about a lunch between the present NU coach and a former HOF NU coach (that your son set up) becoming public knowledge rises to the level of almost suffocating the new coach with support.
So now that I've listened to the interview instead of just reading it, I don't think we will have to worry about TO suffocating him. From my listen, it seems Tom is doing other things. Pretty clear though that he is ambivalent about the fans' expectations for the coaches at NU. He experienced the wrath of that monster and also helped it grow.

This post was edited on 3/6 8:45 AM by inWV

Only when the threads are gone and you make shit up.
Nah...on the second post of this whole Osborne nonsense I said the OP was off base in wanting to hate on Riley and back Pelini. Then people start the vitriol against Osborne only to find out he and his family were the ones to reach out to Riley for a lunch. Then people bring up the whole Osborne "I don't know Mike Riley" nonsense to find out that Osborne also said, "but I've heard good things about him." Then people started in on him backing Bo only to realize Oz critiqued Bo on not changing his defense and getting the kind of players to fit playing in the Big 10.

All of this occurred in two threads!!! After following this board for fourteen years why wouldn't I expect people to start saying, "Tom needs to stay out of Riley's business"?

Then people start the vitriol against Osborne only to find out he and his family were the ones to reach out to Riley for a lunch.
That didn't take long, you just proved my point.

Riley said from day one, and a few times since, that he wants to meet with Tom. Now, it's the other way around, awesome.

After following this board for fourteen years why wouldn't I expect people to start saying, "Tom needs to stay out of Riley's business"?
Mountain and mole hill come to mind, it's your specialty.
This post was edited on 3/6 9:01 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

I like the take of many here...its farcical but fun:

Tom (the bitter old man) and his family set up the lunch with Riley...but Tom won't help or support Riley and he's really caustic towards him. (And here's my favorite part...) Besides, it surely must have been Riley's idea.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT