ADVERTISEMENT

Which city is your favorite?

Lots of good suggestions so far. Thank you all.

My wife wants to go there....I told her to enjoy herself.
You should humor her. You would love it. Visit Rafanelli vineyard. He’s a gun toting deer hunting 3rd generation small wine maker with fabulous reds. Super laid back nice people Don Giovani’s restaurant is great. Lots of great food and wine. Hit Cakebread and Palmaz. It’s a really relaxing time and there are bike trails there too. Best place to stay is the Vineyard Country Inn which is an older place right on the main drag in the middle of everything.

Last edited:
Fly in to Seattle rent a car drive out to Olympic National park all the way to Port Angeles and take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria and head up to Vancouver, BC. Vancouver is a fun city to experience and drive there is actually pretty cool.
Vancouver is like the cleaner/friendlier version of Seattle. At least it was when I was stationed up near Seattle in the early 90's.

You should humor her. You would love it. Visit Rafanelli vineyard. He’s a gun toting deer hunting 3rd generation small wine maker with fabulous reds. Super laid back nice people Don Giovani’s restaurant is great. Lots of great food and wine. Hit Cakebread and Palmaz. It’s a really relaxing time and there are bike trails there too. Best place to stay is the Vineyard Country Inn which is an older place right on the main drag in the middle of everything.

Nah....rather stay home and repaint the shed.

Vancouver
Kyoto and Osaka, Japan
Singapore
Rome and Florence. Rome is the eternal city for a reason.
Prague
Anywhere on Maui
Yellowstone if you like scenery.
I completely agree. I love all the same cities in Japan, Italy and all over Hawaii.
I'm in my early thirties and want to see as much as possible but it's hard financially obviously.

Just for future advice and trying to finalize my career path to retirement early, May I ask what you do/did for work?

Reactions: Jaemekon
Wife and kids. I don't drink either. Kind of a downer I know.
In that case.

San Diego. Weather, Theme Parks, Restaurants, Zoo, Hiking, Beach, Museums. That would be number 1 recommendation.

NYC. Tons of sightseeing and NYC still has an energy that is really unmatched anywhere in the country.

Wisconsin Dells is an easy drive.. world class water parks

Eureka Springs, AR is pretty cool too

Mackinac Island, MI

All three are easy drives from Omaha/Lincoln

• Love
Reactions: c3o and Jaemekon
In that case.

San Diego. Weather, Theme Parks, Restaurants, Zoo, Hiking, Beach, Museums. That would be number 1 recommendation.

NYC. Tons of sightseeing and NYC still has an energy that is really unmatched anywhere in the country.

I've been to San Diego, it's very nice.

NYC doesn't seem like the type of place I would want to take my family. 😳

I appreciate your suggestions.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
As noted by others... it really depends on what you like to do/experience.

For a Family trip within the US: The Dells, MN fishing camp, Boundary Waters canoe trip, Tucson or Utah to see a different landscape, Boston, Maine, Hawaii (Oahu 1 day only for Pearl Harbor).

Adults looking for international experiences: Banff, San Sebastian Spain, Milan & Lake Como Italy, Greece, Prague, Chile.
Adults traveling to US cities: DC, Chicago, San Fran, NYC, Tucson, San Antonio, Seattle/Vancouver. Outside cities - Estes Park CO, Bend OR, Yellowstone, Smoky Mountains, Hawaii (not Oahu, see Pearl Harbor then go to another island).

I'm not a traveler by any means but I have been to several cities. I don't think I've really had an unpleasant experience in any of them that I can recall. The ones that I have been to and would definitely go again.

Memphis - It kind of gets overshadowed by Nashville but Beale Street is awesome. Graceland is really cool too. It's about a 9 hour drive for us so we will probably be making that trip again soon.

New Orleans - We had a lot of fun there even though there were some early hotel hiccups that led to us spending our first night in our car in a Walmart parking lot.

Boston - Awesome historical town. I would love to go back a third time but there's too many other cities on our list. It's packed in tight though so it can be a bit of a pain to get around.

Overrated:

Orlando - If you're planning on staying at Disney or Universal then it's great. Otherwise I don't need to go back.

Las Vegas - I went once and had fun but really don't see any point in going back.

That would be Portland & Seattle

Top 10 cities for heroin use per capita:
1. Omaha 3.4% have used heroin
2. Indianapolis 3.4%
3. Columbus, Ohio 3.3%
4. Nashville, Tennessee 3.2%
5. Oklahoma City 3.1%
6. Tulsa 3.1%
7. Minneapolis 3.1%
8. Kansas City, MO 3.1%
9. Memphis 3.1%
10. Wichita 3.0%

Source: American Addiction Centers website, with data updated May 5, 2023.

Top 10 cities for marijuana use:
1. Omaha 66.2%

So no more stupid jokes about the cloud of smoke in Boulder, please. And only four of the top 10 cities for marijuana use are in states where weed is actually legal. So making it legal apparently doesn't increase its use.

Last edited:
I'm not a traveler by any means but I have been to several cities. I don't think I've really had an unpleasant experience in any of them that I can recall. The ones that I have been to and would definitely go again.

Memphis - It kind of gets overshadowed by Nashville but Beale Street is awesome. Graceland is really cool too. It's about a 9 hour drive for us so we will probably be making that trip again soon.

New Orleans - We had a lot of fun there even though there were some early hotel hiccups that led to us spending our first night in our car in a Walmart parking lot.

Boston - Awesome historical town. I would love to go back a third time but there's too many other cities on our list. It's packed in tight though so it can be a bit of a pain to get around.

Overrated:

Orlando - If you're planning on staying at Disney or Universal then it's great. Otherwise I don't need to go back.

Las Vegas - I went once and had fun but really don't see any point in going back.
I take a yearly roadtrip in all sorts of directions every year. I will be back in Memphis for a night this year. Beale Street is awesome. Probably go visit Sun Studio and Gus's Famous Fried Chicken again. I will be in Nashville a couple nights before that visiting family and will be in Clarksdale, MS after I leave Memphis. All great music towns.

Reactions: 9and4
2. Indianapolis 3.4%
3. Columbus, Ohio 3.3%
5. Oklahoma City 3.1%
6. Tulsa 3.1%
7. Minneapolis 3.1%
8. Kansas City, MO 3.1%
9. Memphis 3.1%
10. Wichita 3.0%

1. Omaha 66.2%

So no more stupid jokes about the cloud of smoke in Boulder, please.

That's wild. I've only ever met one person who I knew had done heroin. He was from grand Island.

I'm glad I've never really had to deal with those types.

That's wild. I've only ever met one person who I knew had done heroin. He was from grand Island.

My wife had a "recovering" junkie for a roommate during grad school at the U of Florida in the late '80s. I'm pretty sure she was still using though. The roommate, not my wife.

• Wow
2. Indianapolis 3.4%
3. Columbus, Ohio 3.3%
5. Oklahoma City 3.1%
6. Tulsa 3.1%
7. Minneapolis 3.1%
8. Kansas City, MO 3.1%
9. Memphis 3.1%
10. Wichita 3.0%

1. Omaha 66.2%

So no more stupid jokes about the cloud of smoke in Boulder, please.
Lol.. you can’t actually believe this can you? Heroin deaths alone debunks this silliness.. do better

My other story is from a job I had in Denver back in the early '90s. I had just left journalism to teach English, U.S. History and Journalism at a high school in Aurora, but I did summer work for the University of Denver.

My job was to go to a rehab-detox facility run by Arapahoe House and interview drug addicts and alcoholics about their history of addiction.

I'd then have to roam the streets of LoDo (before Coors Field yuppified the area) looking for my interviewees to do follow-up interviews so I could write narratives about their recovery process.

So lots of junkies then.

• Wow
1. My couch - we can head to st Pete beach, then to Busch gardens, then to a Rays game .. free of charge for ya 🤣

• Love
My other story is from a job I had in Denver back in the early '90s. I had just left journalism to teach English, U.S. History and Journalism at a high school in Aurora, but I did summer work for the University of Denver.

My job was to go to a rehab-detox facility run by Arapahoe House and interview drug addicts and alcoholics about their history of addiction.

I'd then have to roam the streets of LoDo (before Coors Field yuppified the area) looking for my interviewees to do follow-up interviews so I could write narratives about their recovery process.

So lots of junkies then.

Sounds like an adventure.

Cities
Lol.. you can’t actually believe this can you? Heroin deaths alone debunks this silliness.. do better
Drug overdose deaths by city in 2020. The top 10, per capita:
1. Baltimore (my new home!)
2. Cleveland
3. Philadelphia
4. Columbus, OH
5. Louisville
6. Detroit
7. Milwaukee
8. Indianapolis
9. Tucson
10. Washington, DC

Portland is No. 18, while Seattle is No. 21.

Data from the Urban Health Collective at Drexel University in Philadelphia, using information from Big Cities Health Inventory, which excludes smaller cities such as Omaha and Wichita.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT