ADVERTISEMENT

What's Up With the West Coast Conf Tourney?

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
they serious with this format?

Fp6eil_WwAE_OqA

• Haha
Reactions: baseball31ne
Pilot program for the B1G conference tournament in future years to save their higher seeded teams?
That was my initial reaction. Protection. No clue what their records are but sure giving 1&2 seeds plenty of rest. Could backfire with that much time off. I m assuming they're not making teams play twice in one day 😁

That was my initial reaction. Protection. No clue what their records are but sure giving 1&2 seeds plenty of rest. Could backfire with that much time off. I m assuming they're not making teams play twice in one day 😁

I know St. Mary's is playing a game the following week so they don't have almost two weeks off before their first rd game.

Reactions: king_kong_
I know St. Mary's is playing a game the following week so they don't have almost two weeks off before their first rd game.

Actually, it's the zags doing it. Mary's has done it before though. And the zags are playing this coming week before their semifinal which is a week from tomorrow.

Gauntlet format. Kinda like it actually.

Korean Baseball League uses gauntlet format for their playoffs too. So the 5 seed has a series with the 4 seed. The winner has a series with the third seed. That winner has a series with the 2 seed. And whoever wins that plays in the championship series against the 1 seed.

From one viewpoint, it protects the league so a lower seed doesn’t steal a spot in the dance. But from another viewpoint, it rewards strong conference play. Which I think is right. If a lower seed can get hot, they’ll have to do it anyway, but this gives the top two seeds a benefit for doing it all year long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT