ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver Stadium Renovations

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Just read that Penn State is embarking on a $700 million renovation of Beaver Stadium. And I know from talking to people out here who have been season ticket holders for decades that this is needed in order to keep butts in the seats and to get people out of their comfortable homes with their 100 inch TV's and massive sound systems. So, as we all know, this is just further evidence that the trend in college football is definitely away from actual game attendance. Question: will stadium renovations be enough to stop this trend?

The second reason given for the PSU renovations is that they hope to make PSU capable of hosting a playoff game in the expanded format. Question: How likely is it that a northern school will land a playoff game in December? Second question: assuming that the playoff committee will select warm weather stadiums, will this not privilege southern tier teams in the playoffs?

1. No, I don’t think stadium renovations will be enough to stop that trend. I’m not sure it can be stopped.
2. Unlikely a northern school with an open-air stadium hosts a playoff game, but northern cities with domes will certainly be in the running.
3. You could minimize the advantage for southern teams by making them travel east to west. Send Georgia to a playoff game at the Rose Bowl or USC to the Orange Bowl. But yes, overall the southern teams will have an advantage.
Just my thoughts.

Just read that Penn State is embarking on a $700 million renovation of Beaver Stadium. And I know from talking to people out here who have been season ticket holders for decades that this is needed in order to keep butts in the seats and to get people out of their comfortable homes with their 100 inch TV's and massive sound systems. So, as we all know, this is just further evidence that the trend in college football is definitely away from actual game attendance. Question: will stadium renovations be enough to stop this trend?

The second reason given for the PSU renovations is that they hope to make PSU capable of hosting a playoff game in the expanded format. Question: How likely is it that a northern school will land a playoff game in December? Second question: assuming that the playoff committee will select warm weather stadiums, will this not privilege southern tier teams in the playoffs?
To your last question...unfortunately yes if that happens. Hopefully it doesn't. I heard first round games would be at home site of highest ranked teams

To your last question...unfortunately yes if that happens. Hopefully it doesn't. I heard first round games would be at home site of highest ranked teams
hope that is the scenario that plays out. It would be only fair. I think of poor Tom Osborne in the 80's and early 90's who had to play Miami or Florida State in Miami every damn year.

1. No, I don’t think stadium renovations will be enough to stop that trend. I’m not sure it can be stopped.
2. Unlikely a northern school with an open-air stadium hosts a playoff game, but northern cities with domes will certainly be in the running.
3. You could minimize the advantage for southern teams by making them travel east to west. Send Georgia to a playoff game at the Rose Bowl or USC to the Orange Bowl. But yes, overall the southern teams will have an advantage.
Just my thoughts.
I agree. I think the trend is definitely going to continue of people preferring to either stay home or to watch the games in bars or at tailgating spots with a TV. Which is why it makes sense to me for schools like NU to actually downsize the stadium when it is renovated. Personally, I would demolish the entire south stadium and replace it with something with theatre type seats and far fewer spots, with lots of access to bathrooms and concessions. Penn State is already facing the reality that the their 110,000 seat stadium is usually for most games usually only at about 80,000 fans in the seats. Big games they still sell out. But PSU also has a stadium filled with those old fashioned bench seats designed for people in 1960 with tiny asses. They could stand to downsize too...

I never really go to Husker games with the full intent of "watching" the game, I go for the fun, atmosphere, and screwing around with my friends. I watch the game and scream when I am in the stands but my purpose is not to "watch" the game.

If I was planning to really watch the game, it would be on a TV, at a bar or with friends at a house.

I believe the opening games of the 12 team playoff will be hosted by the higher seeded team

A university probably does better financially by hosting a first round game rather than earning a bye

From my understanding, first round games are at the campus of the higher rated teams..
So the format would look like this.

12 at 5
11 at 6
10 at 7
9 at 8

make the seats nice, leg room , cup holders, red......and make parking reasonable..
build these things and they will come...
(included is a 9 win season)

I believe the opening games of the 12 team playoff will be hosted by the higher seeded team

A university probably does better financially by hosting a first round game rather than earning a bye
I would think so, I am sure some of the ticket sales will go back into the pot for payouts but the school will get some/most?

Then just add in another home game and all the money that brings in to local businesses as well.

make the seats nice, leg room , cup holders, red......and make parking reasonable..
build these things and they will come...
(included is a 9 win season)
All this, but also the price. I have a giant TV and surround and beers in the fridge at home, but 9 times out of 10 I would rather be in the stadium. BUT, not for $150 a ticket.

Can you imagine if Rhule gets football going and NU hosted a playoff game in Lincoln. Lots of people (including myself) would pay 1k+ for that ticket.
That would certainly make justifying season tickets alot easier. Kind of hard to justify paying for tickets and a "donation" these days with the product on the field.

I never really go to Husker games with the full intent of "watching" the game, I go for the fun, atmosphere, and screwing around with my friends. I watch the game and scream when I am in the stands but my purpose is not to "watch" the game.

If I was planning to really watch the game, it would be on a TV, at a bar or with friends at a house.
I am guessing you represent the new demographic.

I've been attending games since 1972 (as a kid) and I thought that the real feel, the real part of football has lost its way. Its now like a concert designed to entertain, a show.

I much prefer how it used to be. You went for the game and got into it as esoteric levels. As of now, I don't sit at the top of any section as the playing of 'Start Me Up' might, in a week moment, cause me to hurl myself off the side.

I've been attending games since 1972 (as a kid) and I thought that the real feel, the real part of football has lost its way. Its now like a concert designed to entertain, a show.

I much prefer how it used to be. You went for the game and got into it as esoteric levels. As of now, I don't sit at the top of any section as the playing of 'Start Me Up' might, in a week moment, cause me to hurl myself off the side.
How about the "it's third down"? It makes me want to go on murderous rampage.

Yeah, I get that.

I might be in the minority but I have never really been able to watch a game at the stadium and look at it as anything more than an event or party.

My friends father in law has/had nice seats and a great parking spot...If the game was at 2:30...he would pull into that spot at 2:00pm, park, walk into the stadium with his family and be seated...and the second the game was over he was back at his car. I just can't do that.

I agree. I think the trend is definitely going to continue of people preferring to either stay home or to watch the games in bars or at tailgating spots with a TV. Which is why it makes sense to me for schools like NU to actually downsize the stadium when it is renovated. Personally, I would demolish the entire south stadium and replace it with something with theatre type seats and far fewer spots, with lots of access to bathrooms and concessions. Penn State is already facing the reality that the their 110,000 seat stadium is usually for most games usually only at about 80,000 fans in the seats. Big games they still sell out. But PSU also has a stadium filled with those old fashioned bench seats designed for people in 1960 with tiny asses. They could stand to downsize too...
I think taking down south stadium would be a good idea, Put in a smaller set of nice seats with a shade/weather cover over top of this to give great seating to season ticket holders. Need to put the students down low right behind opposing players sideline. I quit going to games after my sophmore year because I was tired of sitting way up top on south stadium as a student, rather party at my house or downtown than wait in line for 2 hours to get decent seats.

I think taking down south stadium would be a good idea, Put in a smaller set of nice seats with a shade/weather cover over top of this to give great seating to season ticket holders. Need to put the students down low right behind opposing players sideline. I quit going to games after my sophmore year because I was tired of sitting way up top on south stadium as a student, rather party at my house or downtown than wait in line for 2 hours to get decent seats.
Yeah, my first year at UNL I went to all the games but started to leave by halftime. After that year, I think I went to one or maybe two more. I was more than happy to watch the game at my house or a friends house or frat.

I have a revolutionary idea for Nebraska. Make the stadium only have a capacity of 1000. The entrance would be massively expensive but when you go you get access to the players, access to unlimited food, any food you get door dashed into the stadium is covered by the cost of the ticket, you get a personal chef, a personal butler lol, and a personal masseuse. You also get a heated pod that will block out the cold. Everyone gets a chance to kick Steve pederson in the balls. This experience will be better than sitting on your couch.

Reactions: Truewooper
I have a revolutionary idea for Nebraska. Make the stadium only have a capacity of 1000. The entrance would be massively expensive but when you go you get access to the players, access to unlimited food, any food you get door dashed into the stadium is covered by the cost of the ticket, you get a personal chef, a personal butler lol, and a personal masseuse. You also get a heated pod that will block out the cold. Everyone gets a chance to kick Steve pederson in the balls. This experience will be better than sitting on your couch.
Do I get to kick Steve Pederson in the balls every game?

• Love
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Is PSU installing private soundproof showers in the locker rooms?
the-office-laugh.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT