ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten teams may be starting to shed some marquee non conf games

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
With the addition of USC and UCLA the conf schedule is going to be rough - particularly for the blue bloods - those blue bloods are going to be seeing a larger share of each other than the other pedestrian teams

The media deal wasn’t a billion plus so they would have exclusive rights to Iowa vs Purdue

I guess the other option is that UW is heading to the BIG

With the addition of USC and UCLA the conf schedule is going to be rough - particularly for the blue bloods - those blue bloods are going to be seeing a larger share of each other than the other pedestrian teams

The media deal wasn’t a billion plus so they would have exclusive rights to Iowa vs Purdue

I guess the other option is that UW is heading to the BIG
Iowa and Minny and Purdue are like "**** YES!!!! Quick, Call UNI, Montana, BGSU, Miami..OF OHIO YOU IDIOT, hurry!"

Guess we'll have more exciting Ohio State-Akron type of games to look forward to. Though I suppose that's not much different than Ohio State-Rutgers

Last edited:
Reactions: moralvictories
B1G rarely played any marquee non-con games to begin with

basically only us, ohiost and pennst actually sought them out year after year

wisc, mich, sparty would fall into one every decade

the rest just act like the miserable bottom feeders they are
I mean, can you really have a marquee game if it includes Minnesota, Purdue, NW, Rutgers, etc etc?

Reactions: king_kong_
I thought UW to the BIG was dead - I don’t think it adds value

Any chance OSU was instructed to ditch the game because they might be joining?

Honestly UO and UW financially would be better joining the BIG and agreeing to lesser payouts than the rest of the league for a period of time than staying in the PAC.

No way Iowa sheds ISU.
Super Freak Flirting GIF by Rick James

Iowa and Minny and Purdue are like "**** YES!!!! Quick, Call UNI, Montana, BGSU, Miami..OF OHIO YOU IDIOT, hurry!"
Purdue non-con shouldn't be in the same universe as minnys push over non-con.... honestly not sure how Nebraska's is better in the past 5 years or next 5 years.

Reactions: king_kong_
Oregon and Washington made sense in Warren's vision of spanning the country and having a night tier of games with 4 Pacific time zone teams a prominent part of the plan that could play each other. It was held up though by waiting to see what Notre Dame would do. Now with Warren gone it's unclear what the direction will be.

Purdue non-con shouldn't be in the same universe as minnys push over non-con.... honestly not sure how Nebraska's is better in the past 5 years or next 5 years.
Definitely agree about the next 5 years

Trev should be on the phone all day every day trying to improve our shameful upcoming non-con slate

I thought UW to the BIG was dead - I don’t think it adds value

Any chance OSU was instructed to ditch the game because they might be joining?

Honestly UO and UW financially would be better joining the BIG and agreeing to lesser payouts than the rest of the league for a period of time than staying in the PAC.
18 team conference
Three 6 team divisions
Each team plays 2 teams from the other divisions on a two year schedule, plus 5 in division, thus each team plays the entire conference every six years.

I haven't looked at Pursue Schedule but Nebraska Colorado, Cinncy, Tenn., Oklahoma and Arizona lined up in the next few years.

I haven't looked at Pursue Schedule but Nebraska Colorado, Cinncy, Tenn., Oklahoma and Arizona lined up in the next few years.
I don’t necessarily agree but with the SEC moving to 9 conf games I wouldn’t be surprised if Tenn and OU and us all mutually agree to eliminate those games

If the goal is to get as many teams into the 12 team playoff as possible it makes little sense to add a 10th difficult out of conf game.

Conferences can appease their media partners by scheduling some conf games in weeks 1-2-3

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I don’t necessarily agree but with the SEC moving to 9 conf games I wouldn’t be surprised if Tenn and OU and us all mutually agree to eliminate those games

If the goal is to get as many teams into the 12 team playoff as possible it makes little sense to add a 10th difficult out of conf game.

Conferences can appease their media partners by scheduling some conf games in weeks 1-2-3
Hoping this doesn’t happen, Tennessee had to delay the home and away in 2016 and 2017 because of some conflict with Virginia Tech where they played the game inside race track.

I was looking forward to going to Knoxville back in 2016 2017 because there is only three places now where you can take a boat to the stadium.Seattle to Husky stadium which I did and now that Baylor built there new stadium you also can arrive on a boat..

Hoping this doesn’t happen, Tennessee had to delay the home and away in 2016 and 2017 because of some conflict with Virginia Tech where they played the game inside race track.

I was looking forward to going to Knoxville back in 2016 2017 because there is only three places now where you can take a boat to the stadium.Seattle to Husky stadium which I did and now that Baylor built there new stadium you also can arrive on a boat..
I completely agree but i think a loss hurts your chances of getting into the playoffs far far more than a win helps.

Strength of schedule is vastly overrated and if you are in the BIG or SEC adding a nonconf game won’t help that much

I agree, as a fan I love those games, however

In the next 5 years, Purdue has Fresno state, cuse, @Virginia tech, notre dame x4, @oregon state, unc, wake forest.

Then a big matchup with Ole miss in 2033! Lol

Didn't realize Nebraska had that coming up, but I was moreso just proving that Purdue didn't belong to be mentioned in the easy W non con talk.

B1G rarely played any marquee non-con games to begin with

basically only us, ohiost and pennst actually sought them out year after year

wisc, mich, sparty would fall into one every decade

the rest just act like the miserable bottom feeders they are
So you’re calling Nebraska vs. Colorado a “marquee game”?

First, I am an OSU alum/fan.

Found out ALL Big Ten team conference games for 2024 have been swiped clean. Also, read that they don't plan on scheduling the 2024 season until October of this year.

With the talk of going division less, who do you play? I would guess for OSU, it would be Michigan, Penn State and one LA school. But who else? Believe it is the same for all Big Ten schools. Outside of the rivalry games, I believe it is all up in the air.

And if we go to 9 conference games. Do you have 5 or 4 home conference games?

Just thought I would share, that more is going on that what appears to be.

And if there is further expansion - who knows what comes next.

Found out ALL Big Ten team conference games for 2024 have been swiped clean. Also, read that they don't plan on scheduling the 2024 season until October of this year.

With the talk of going division less, who do you play? I would guess for OSU, it would be Michigan, Penn State and one LA school. But who else? Believe it is the same for all Big Ten schools. Outside of the rivalry games, I believe it is all up in the air.

The BIG already plays 9 conf games alternating between 4 and 5 home conf games in successive years and has for a number of years

Reactions: scarletred

I would be surprised if the stuck OSU with Mich, PSU, and USC or UCLA permanently. I know OSU can handle it, but that would be too hard. I would guess Mich, USC/UCLA and someone else.
For Nebraska, I am guessing Iowa, UCLA and either Wisconsin or Minn.

I would be surprised if the stuck OSU with Mich, PSU, and USC or UCLA permanently. I know OSU can handle it, but that would be too hard. I would guess Mich, USC/UCLA and someone else.
For Nebraska, I am guessing Iowa, UCLA and either Wisconsin or Minn.
In a 3-6-6 format - if UCLA is a protected rival we are likely also getting at least 2 of this group of 4 (USC-OSU-PSU-Mich) in addition to Ucla each year

Redmich, yes you are correct.

My bad in not being clearer. When they do the new scheduling with no divisions. You would hope they could continue to schedule such that the rotation continues with 5-4. But with the addition of the LA schools and new schedules (division less), are a few schools going to be shorted. I would hope not, but things happen because of how the pieces fit.

Back a number of years ago, the Big Ten made some adjustments in scheduling and we ended up playing Wisconsin in back to back years in Madison.

I assume you went to the Washington game when TMart ran for 4 long TDs and by the end of the game we were doing the wave in Husky Stadium? One thing I really remember about that game was Lil Red was in the endzone before the game and the handler holding the Husky mascot wanted to walk by him and the dog freaked and tried to back away from being anywhere near Lil Red. Apparently the fan noise inside the costume was at a frequency that hurt the dog's ears.

Anyway, I really wanted to go to the game by boat, we did, and now that I've done it going to a game by boat is no longer on my bucket list.

In a 3-6-6 format - if UCLA is a protected rival we are likely also getting at least 2 of this group of 4 (USC-OSU-PSU-Mich) in addition to Ucla each year
I am guessing Iowa would be a protected rival. I think we have a decent history with UCLA. I don't think the only pool they would have for Nebraska is UCLA, USC, OSU, Mich, and PSU for the 2 other games, only 3 games total. That would be a waste of marquee matchups for other BIG schools, IMO.

IF the BIG goal is to Maximize playoffs spots, it shouldn't have too difficult of permanent matchups. I guarantee the SEC will not stick Alabama with OU or Texas permanently.

I am guessing Iowa would be a protected rival. I think we have a decent history with UCLA. I don't think the only pool they would have for Nebraska is UCLA, USC, OSU, Mich, and PSU for the 2 other games, only 3 games total. That would be a waste of marquee matchups for other BIG schools, IMO.
Those other schools (usc- PSU- osu- Mich- Ucla) will be included in the 6-6 portion of the schedule - so if those teams are evenly distributed between the 6-6 groups you are going to get 2 or 3 of that group each year in addition to your protected rival(s)

Those other schools (usc- PSU- osu- Mich- Ucla) will be included in the 6-6 portion of the schedule - so if those teams are evenly distributed between the 6-6 groups you are going to get 2 or 3 of that group each year in addition to your protected rival(s)
Yes, I agree, but really outside of protected rivals that we play every year, we should play all 12 other teams (home and away) in a 4 year window, correct? Hopefully they would be spread out evenly.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT