ADVERTISEMENT

What Say you ...

I made a bet on the Red Scrolls a year ago, which I lost, the exact bet, not important. I also cancelled my Scrolls premium membership, some 6 months ago. I forgot about the bet until this morning, when I received this message from the person I bet. The charity thing just came up this morning, btw. It looks like he also started a thread to this effect on scrolls that I don't have access. What would be your reaction?

~~~~
So...apparently you have no plans to pay up on this bet we made last year. It’s only $100 so not a big deal (was planning on having you donate it to a charity of my choosing).
What boggles my mind is that someone would blatantly put their true lack of character on display for all to see over a freaking $100.

It’s not the fact that your rep on the scroll is garbage from this point forward, but that you still probably manage to look at yourself with a level of self-respect. How does one manage that?
Have no clue to your age but your father should have taught you better. A man’s word should mean something. Quite sad...all over a hundred dollar bet. You should probably go ahead and change your username as I’ll continue to haunt you with this as long as you’re under “burkek” .
~~~~
If you forgot it is an honest mistake. The other guy could be a bit more mature about it. Just the way he is acting I would almost not want to pay it. But, to me personally a bet is a bet. My word means a lot to me. I would just pay it and be done with the idiot.

Reactions: Thomud
I made a bet on the Red Scrolls a year ago, which I lost, the exact bet, not important. I also cancelled my Scrolls premium membership, some 6 months ago. I forgot about the bet until this morning, when I received this message from the person I bet. The charity thing just came up this morning, btw. It looks like he also started a thread to this effect on scrolls that I don't have access. What would be your reaction?

~~~~
So...apparently you have no plans to pay up on this bet we made last year. It’s only $100 so not a big deal (was planning on having you donate it to a charity of my choosing).
What boggles my mind is that someone would blatantly put their true lack of character on display for all to see over a freaking $100.

It’s not the fact that your rep on the scroll is garbage from this point forward, but that you still probably manage to look at yourself with a level of self-respect. How does one manage that?
Have no clue to your age but your father should have taught you better. A man’s word should mean something. Quite sad...all over a hundred dollar bet. You should probably go ahead and change your username as I’ll continue to haunt you with this as long as you’re under “burkek” .
~~~~

Pay your losing bets.

GBR

He is an attorney not a 12 year old girl.
200.gif

Was this on the internet with a person you don't actually know? And for some reason it seems like they care about "honor"?

I would tell them to kiss your ass.

Also, if anyone is worried about their "reputation" on a post board they have some major problems.
It was on the Red Sea Scrolls

If you have integrity, pay up.

If you don't have integrity, then don't pay up or just demand he meets certain conditions, that were not part of the bet, before paying up.

~~~~

~~~~

I don't know your financial situation. If you are comfortable, financially, then he is right: $100 is not much and you should pay.

However, if $100 is a bite into your monthly groceries and your finances are tight I would just come clean and say: "Look dude, I made an impetuous and foolish bet in the heat of the moment and lost. Unfortunately, I really am not able to pay this bet. A gentleman's bet is just that... a non binding agreement between gentlemen. Therefore, I hope you can just let this slide. Thanks. Lesson learned."

Eh, life happens. It's bigger than this place and football. If you pay up, good on you. I wouldn't worry about it too much... too many important things in life to focus on :)

Reactions: burkek
This is an internet message board. I don't think the same rules apply as in real life. People talk crap on the board and you can't take any of it seriously. Are you really trying to honor your message board fake name? If I made a monetary bet, I wouldn't expect anyone to actually honor it. That said, maybe a certain hashtag or signature pic of the others' choosing is a better bet on the internet.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing

~~~~

~~~~
Bobot

Was it an "official bet" where you exchanged terms of the bet, or was it just "I'll bet you $100 on this" where it wasn't really agreed upon by both parties? If you agreed to terms, then get out your money clip and pay the man.

I say this because no one really carries a billfold any more, do they? I can't imagine having a hunk of cowhide on my ass again. Haven't carried a billfold since at least college.

Im guessing very few of us make $100 bets on message boards
My guess- it was from some type of back and forth
Very few if us would "forget" making such a bet- since they happen so infrequently and while $100 isnt a huge sum- it isnt $5-$10 either

Since you lost the bet and he couldnt find you= what else could he surmise- but that someone had welched on their bet

The anonymity of the internet is an amazing thing
It makes bullies and tough guys out of whimps- no accountability
IMO you are looking for an excuse not to pay- the terms are the terms- you lost the bet- you pay.

Let me ask you this...say you do that and it turns out to be a 12 year old girl...who says that you sent her that money for something other than this "bet"...what do you do then?

Sadly, I have a friend that this happened to and it ****ed up his life, HARD for awhile. Lost his wife, his job, even though it was all BS

Again...**** it...it is not worth it. You don't know the person at all...**** them. Who knows what bullshit it could really be.

You seem to be obsessed with 12 year old girls....

This is an internet message board. I don't think the same rules apply as in real life. People talk crap on the board and you can't take any of it seriously. Are you really trying to honor your message board fake name? If I made a monetary bet, I wouldn't expect anyone to actually honor it. That said, maybe a certain hashtag or signature pic of the others' choosing is a better bet on the internet.

No kidding...

To the dude that is supposed to pay up?

Tell the moron that you donated the 100 dollars to a charity...when he says he wants proof you know that he is an ass and has no "honor" and/or "integrity" then tell him you donated to the Human Fund.

Wow... never made a bet I lost and didn’t pay. Can’t imagine even trying it. I think his response/message to you is quite mature and respectable. I’d pay the guy or person asap and move on, you should be better than that (which I assume you are, and just made a mistake).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT