ADVERTISEMENT

What Rhule should do with his asst coaches

Whatever he wants.
Whatever he deems necessary.
Even if that means no changes.
Because he’s in charge
Because he’s more qualified than all of us.

Fight me.
I’ve been pretty defensive about Satterfield but he got outcoached last night. IF we can get good Qb play maybe he gets better but I don’t see guys getting open like I did earlier this fall. Is it the WRs? Is it the WR coach? Clearly we lack bodies at TE. I thought Satterfield had a bad game but crowd noise appeared pretty clearly to be hurting our offense.

Reactions: Wasker77
I’ve been pretty defensive about Satterfield but he got outcoached last night. IF we can get good Qb play maybe he gets better but I don’t see guys getting open like I did earlier this fall. Is it the WRs? Is it the WR coach? Clearly we lack bodies at TE. I thought Satterfield had a bad game but crowd noise appeared pretty clearly to be hurting our offense.
I can get behind the idea that the coaching staff could be tweaked for improvement. I just think Rhule has the experience, perspective, access, responsibility and motivation to make the right adjustments. And for fans to do much more than a little venting at this point is ridiculous and embarrassing. It’s his first season here. Maybe he makes the very changes some fans want within the next few weeks. Maybe he thinks that’s premature, and has other ideas on how to improve. Either way, it’s his call.

I can get behind the idea that the coaching staff could be tweaked for improvement. I just think Rhule has the experience, perspective, access, responsibility and motivation to make the right adjustments. And for fans to do much more than a little venting at this point is ridiculous and embarrassing. It’s his first season here. Maybe he makes the very changes some fans want within the next few weeks. Maybe he thinks that’s premature, and has other ideas on how to improve. Either way, it’s his call.
I agree, but what moves he makes this offseason with directly correlate with the success he achieves for the next two years. I think he’ll get till the end of 2025 to turn this thing around, he won’t be given more than three seasons. Position coaches on the offensive side of the ball need a complete revamp. I understand the reservations of a potential new offense under a new OC, but can we say this one has worked consistently to any degree? They have no identity whatsoever on offense.

We could have had a young John Elway last night and it wouldn't have mattered. Our recievers were deplorable. Really, really disappointed with Coleman, he just wasn't playing football. I know he's capable. The other option, apparently, is that really short guy but you have to get it to him behind the line of scrimmage cause the window you have to hit if you send him downfield is ridiculous. Plus he doesn't have the speed to pass anyone.
Rhules first year portal grade is a D. Just because we did get a center out of it.

I agree, but what moves he makes this offseason with directly correlate with the success he achieves for the next two years. I think he’ll get till the end of 2025 to turn this thing around, he won’t be given more than three seasons. Position coaches on the offensive side of the ball need a complete revamp. I understand the reservations of a potential new offense under a new OC, but can we say this one has worked consistently to any degree? They have no identity whatsoever on offense.
They had a nearly unprecedented injuries on the offensive side. Couple that with nearly unprecedented bad QB play, and it’s hard to make results-based judgments on every aspect of offensive coaching. Of course Rhule knows what’s going on in the kitchen. He is going to do something in the offseason. It just may not be fire the OC, OL, WR, and TE coach all at once.

And what do you mean by turn around in 3 years? If we are bowl-less through 3 years, maybe. Okay, probably. But if we’ve checked that box and aren’t trending backwards, then no.

Yes, by year three maybe even year two if we don’t have a bowl he’s probably done here.

With regards to staff changes, when I look at other schools in our conference for example Wisconsin, they have multiple position coaches who have coached P5 for decades. Rhule’s staff is not prepared to play big boy football and it showed last night. The injury excuse doesn’t hold up when our opponent has dealt with similar problems throughout their season too. They were thoroughly out coached plain and simple.

If Rhule isn't willing to do the right thing and step away (and who would? you're grifting off this program and stealing $9 million a year), then at minimum the offensive staff needs a big shake up. A legit QB coach, a new OL coach possibly, and the pipe dream of getting a new OC. Dan Mullen might be available? If memory serves, Rhule has several million in assistant pool still available, hire someone with a massively incentive laden contract.

If Rhule isn't willing to do the right thing and step away (and who would? you're grifting off this program and stealing $9 million a year), then at minimum the offensive staff needs a big shake up. A legit QB coach, a new OL coach possibly, and the pipe dream of getting a new OC. Dan Mullen might be available? If memory serves, Rhule has several million in assistant pool still available, hire someone with a massively incentive laden contract.
Haha geezus.

Surprised nobody has said a word about Garret McGuire… What has he done with the WR core? Granted most of them are hurt, but the one’s playing can’t even properly block a WR screen! Add to that most of them don’t run correct routes…. I expect more than what I’m seeing at this point.

Reactions: oldjar07
As long as Matt Rhule is coaching to the best of his ability, he is not grifting or stealing. I believe that he is doing his best.

Reactions: HuskerAlum92
I think Rhule answered the question about receivers not getting open, they are either being tackled or being held

what Matt Rhule should do and what is best for the program aren’t necessarily the same thing I guess.

Matt needs to be the leader. I agree with that. He can’t be second guessing shit cause of the media or fans

With that said, I hope he sees a shitshow that’s going on. We can blame and make excuses for injuries. We can blame the prior staff. But this staff (especially on offense) does deserve part of the blame. You can’t ignore that. You can’t ignore that the offensive staff lacks experience and has not performed well in their short-career thus far.

Rhule won’t make moves. We know this. He’s a nepotism/Cronyism guy. He needs to be surrounded by people that like him and that he likes. He’s not a Nick Saban whose going to hate some of his staff personally but respect the hell out of those guy’s professionally. It’s why Rhule wasn’t going to work in the NFL. You definitely can’t just employ friends in the NFL or you’ll lose.

Last edited:
what Matt Rhule should do and what is best for the program aren’t necessarily the same thing I guess.

Matt needs to be the leader. I agree with that. He can’t be second guessing shit cause of the media or fans

With that says, I hope he sees a shitshow that’s going on. We can blame and make excuses for injuries. We can blame the prior staff. But this staff (especially on offense) does deserve part of the blame. You can’t ignore that. You can’t ignore that the offensive staff lacks experience and has not performed well in their short-career thus far.

Rhule won’t make moves. We know this. He’s a nepotism/Cronyism guy. He needs to be surrounded by people that like him and that he likes. He’s not a Nick Saban whose going to hate some of his staff personally but respect the hell out of those guy’s professionally. It’s why Rhule wasn’t going to work in the NFL. You definitely can’t just employ friends in the NFL or you’ll lose.
So why didn’t Saban work in the NFL?

As long as Matt Rhule is coaching to the best of his ability, he is not grifting or stealing. I believe that he is doing his best.
He's completely mishandled the last couple of games minimum, it's not the best of his ability. And If we're paying more than $1 million per victory with no trophies to show for it, it's grifting. I'd be embarassed to take the salary if I were him.

I do still see a path for coach Rhule to bring in someone on offense without really “firing” someone. Josh Martin is more of an interim coach. He should not be retained. I feel like Martin isn’t really owed a chance to try to watch how things turn out, like how some of you think the others should be given that.

They should move McGuire to TE coach and hire an experienced WR coach. WR is too much for a kid whose never coached. What’s MJ doing now? It’s been a year since the incident. I’ve said it many times, a man of faith should forgive if the person has truly repented.

Surprised nobody has said a word about Garret McGuire… What has he done with the WR core? Granted most of them are hurt, but the one’s playing can’t even properly block a WR screen! Add to that most of them don’t run correct routes…. I expect more than what I’m seeing at this point.
He was a last ditch hire because of Mickey’s debacle. That’s a spot where we need to decide if he’s going to get it done. You don’t have to be a grizzled vet to do his job but…

Dingle, you lost me in all of this buddy. I am in the same boat, on the fence about Satts, but what is the problem? You want to blame him and then switch to WR's then TE's. What did Satts do that made him have a "bad game"? Was he having a bad game when they rolled down the field for three straight drives to start the game? They didn't turn the ball over until the very end. They ran the I with power and a full back like many have been begging for. I guess you could complain we didn't run any FB traps. So exactly what is the issue?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I do still see a path for coach Rhule to bring in someone on offense without really “firing” someone. Josh Martin is more of an interim coach. He should not be retained. I feel like Martin isn’t really owed a chance to try to watch how things turn out, like how some of you think the others should be given that.

They should move McGuire to TE coach and hire an experienced WR coach. WR is too much for a kid whose never coached. What’s MJ doing now? It’s been a year since the incident. I’ve said it many times, a man of faith should forgive if the person has truly repented.
McGuire and Martin are probably the most likely to move on but neither has been dealt a decent hand with the injuries and roster depth neither of which is their fault.

Reactions: WHCSC
Dingle, you lost me in all of this buddy. I am in the same boat, on the fence about Satts, but what is the problem? You want to blame him and then switch to WR's then TE's. What did Satts do that made him have a "bad game"? Was he having a bad game when they rolled down the field for three straight drives to start the game? They didn't turn the ball over until the very end. They ran the I with power and a full back like many have been begging for. I guess you could complain we didn't run any FB traps. So exactly what is the issue?

He had trouble getting plays in that last few plays of regulation for one. I hated the double pass when we were running downhill and gashing them in the run game. Too cute. I’m not saying fire him but at crunch time he apparently couldn’t come up with his play calls.

Somebody asked a long time NFL coach why coordinators would get fired one place then resurface elsewhere. His answer was “because play calling in game is a difficult job and not every coach can do it”. It’s a talent and I’m not sure Satt has it. Time will tell.

It’s tough to say based on this game in part because the camera views TV provided we’re terrible. I never could get a sense of whether or not we didn’t have open receivers or if Purdy just wasn’t seeing them. All year long our offense has been a dysfunctional mess. QBs had a huge role in that but Purdy has been healthy enough for 3 weeks to run the scout team. Seems like he should have played earlier. Satt?

Reactions: BrighteRed24
McGuire and Martin are probably the most likely to move on but neither has been dealt a decent hand with the injuries and roster depth neither of which is their fault.
TE hasn’t really had any injuries and that unit was actually supposed to be a strength. Boerkircher been under utilized and Fidone has extreme talent that’s just not producing up to potential. And if you’re going to point to Gilbert, he wasn’t really a factor. He was buried on the depth chart in spring and didn’t look good.

ED Foley should be coaching both ST and TE like he did at Temple for 10 years

He would still be in the NFL if he'd found a QB.
I also think he would have been much better in the NFL later in life, after he had success at Bama. He definitely seemed to be more of a player coach at Bama after winning titles. Not saying he’s Dick Vermeil in that regard but he got much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT