ADVERTISEMENT

What if?... (a look at the roster)

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Offseason is boring, so I wanted to explore a new angle.
Disclosure: This is not a prediction in any way. It’s also not meant to slight the skill/talent of names left off. It’s meant to be another hypothetical way of examining the current roster (more explanation to follow).
Here we go:
What if our starting lineup Game 1 against Purdue looked like this....

QB: Luke McCaffrey OR Adrian Martinez
RB: Rhamir Johnson OR Dedrick Mills OR Sevion Morrison
WR: Omar Manning OR Zavier Betts OR Marcus Fleming
WR: Wandale Robinson OR Alante Brown
WR: JD Spielman OR Jamie Nance OR Peanut Houston
TE: Chris Hickman OR Travis Vokolek
LT: Brendan Jaimes
LG: Turner Corcoran
C: Cam Jurgens
RG: Matt Farniok OR Ethan Piper
RT: Bryce Benhart

DE: Ty Robinson
NT: Keem Green OR Nash Hutmacher
DE: Deontre Thomas OR Tate Wildeman
OLB: Caleb Tannor OR Blaise Gunnerson
ILB: Eteva Mauga OR Will Honas
ILB: Nick Henrich OR Keyshawn Greene
OLB: Jackson Hannah OR Garrett Nelson
CB: Jaiden Francois
CB: Henry Gray
S: Deontaii Williams
S: Marquel Dismuke OR Noa Pola Gates

Despite leaving many potential starters/contributors off the list (which is relevant) you’ll notice there’s a priority on listing 31 by my count 4 star players (Rivals/247)... yes 31!!! plus only 8 mostly high 3 star, mostly ‘new’ players where 4*s were lacking at a position or to highlight other potential. The point is to show the potential for an overhaul of the lineup. Only a few names on there have much experience playing.
This signals more depth and competition across the board.
I’m pretty sure we’ve never had this much “paper talent” spread across the roster in recent years.

Again, this is not a prediction. Many contributors and key guys were left off (Wilson, Stoll, Austin, Stille, Daniels, Miller, Domann, Taylor, Bootle, Newsome, etc.)
Plus, I expect other less touted newcomers to drive the competition even further.

GBR

I've been pointing this out. Sooo many four stars on this team now, unlike before.

Get them some game experience. Many will be in the two deep. We have 17 seniors this year, 13 are starters, this means most on that list will get playing time.

Future is bright guys

Damian Daniels not at NT? I can see Green and him rotating but not just Green.

Also don't think Nash is ready to start his freshman year. Will need at least a year to adjust to playing with college athletes vs HS

Damian Daniels not at NT? I can see Green and him rotating but not just Green.

Also don't think Nash is ready to start his freshman year. Will need at least a year to adjust to playing with college athletes vs HS
The point of the thread is to bring out the highly rated young guys.

Reactions: scarletred
OLB still looks questionable.

It is still a concern until guys start producing.
Hopefully Niko Cooper can excel right away coming from JUCO? Jimari Butler has some serious potential down the road.
Tannor needs to make a huge jump this off-season. Nelson should improve. Domann is a playmaker, but hopefully can settle in at the spot.
Jamin Graham is a wild card.
Alston??
Heard Damian Jackson is moving to OLB which I could see being good for situational play.

I've been pointing this out. Sooo many four stars on this team now, unlike before.

Get them some game experience. Many will be in the two deep. We have 17 seniors this year, 13 are starters, this means most on that list will get playing time.

Future is bright guys

But mainly from the last 2 years. Most have little or no playing experience. Scary that it could take another 2 to 3 years before we start to see the benefits. Obviously we need to start winning now.

But mainly from the last 2 years. Most have little or no playing experience. Scary that it could take another 2 to 3 years before we start to see the benefits. Obviously we need to start winning now.
Rs frosh shouldnt take 2-3 years.
Do sophomares take two more? They dont even get three. Essentially, thats what these rs frosh are.
Add in several others, already at playing weight and size, like Corcoran, its obvious.

We will start winning, it depends how much with our youth. Look at minny, who started their youth movement right away, they beat wiscy, something iowa hasnt done, by the end of the year.
We have more maturity, more players and better talent than minny.

While I do think 2021 will be an even better year, we will be dangerous this year

Do sophomares take two more? They dont even get three. Essentially, thats what these rs frosh are.
Add in several others, already at playing weight and size, like Corcoran, its obvious.

We will start winning, it depends how much with our youth. Look at minny, who started their youth movement right away, they beat wiscy, something iowa hasnt done, by the end of the year.

While I do think 2021 will be an even better year, we will be dangerous this year

Yeah it’s all about potential. And to summarize the original reason for looking at a make-believe lineup full of four stars and youth, it was to highlight the potential that exists for this team.
Converting potential into results hasn’t been our strongest attribute in recent years, but now is when coaches can really start earning their salary.

Reactions: husker2612
The depth is now on the roster, but it's young and inexperienced. What has to happen is for the veterans to have some success early in the season so the younger kids can get in the game and play a bit when the score is no longer in doubt. This has been a rarity going back to to Riley's first year.

You could have saved yourself some time by just leaving a post saying.. "Hey ya know something...we're adding a lot of talent for the future." We will still have a number of non 4-star players that are ahead of 4-star players on the depth chart.

You could have saved yourself some time by just leaving a post saying.. "Hey ya know something...we're adding a lot of talent for the future." We will still have a number of non 4-star players that are ahead of 4-star players on the depth chart.

I always love those new stories of this is the first true frosh, or rs frosh to ever start. Perspective counts too.
I hope our upperclassmen hold down the fort early on, but new stories of only the second or third or even first frosh to start wouldnt be a bad thing to hear.

Here's a stab at a two deep entering into Spring Ball.

QB: Adrian Martinez Luke McCaffrey Noah Vedral
RB: Dedrick Mills Rhamir Johnson Marvin Scott/Sevion Morrison
WR: Omar Manning Kade Warner Zavier Betts/Marcus Fleming
WR: Wandale Robinson Alante Brown
WR: JD Spielman Jamie Nance/Peanut Houston
TE: Jack Stoll Travis Vokolek Chris Hickman
LT: Brendan Jaimes Turner Corcoran
LG: Broc Bando Trent Hixson
C: Cam Jurgens Will Farniok
RG: Matt Farniok Ethan Piper
RT: Bryce Benhart Christian Gaylord
I count over 210 career starts in total for the offense. There will be actual competition for spots on the Oline. This is a good thing. The season starts with a game against a B1G opponent. That group has to be ready to go.

DE: Ty Robinson/Deontre Thomas
NT: Damion Daniels/Keem Green Nash Hutmacher
DE: Ben Stille Tate Wildeman
OLB: Caleb Tannor/Garrett Nelson
ILB: Will Honas Eteva Mauga
ILB: Colin Miller Nick Henrich
OLB: Jojo Doman Jackson Hannah
CB: Cam Taylor Quinton Newsome
CB: DiCap Bootle Braxton Clark
S: Deontaii Williams Myles Farmer
S: Marquel Dismuke Noa Pola Gates
I count 90+ career starts for the returning defenders. Things are a little less settled here in terms of who is where. There can be some mix and match on the Dline. I would think Stille starts, but it might be up in the air after that in terms of starters. Mauga is on campus, does he push for a starting spot at ILB. Does Cam move back to CB? Would have to say that depth has arrived for the back four. OLB is still a work in progree.

I count over 210 career starts in total for the offense. There will be actual competition for spots on the Oline. This is a good thing. The season starts with a game against a B1G opponent. That group has to be ready to go.

I count 90+ career starts for the returning defenders. Things are a little less settled here in terms of who is where. There can be some mix and match on the Dline. I would think Stille starts, but it might be up in the air after that in terms of starters. Mauga is on campus, does he push for a starting spot at ILB. Does Cam move back to CB? Would have to say that depth has arrived for the back four. OLB is still a work in progree.
entering Spring or entering Fall? Betts and Manning are listed but wont be here until Summer/Fall. There are probably others in this situation as well.

Of course with those 2, they could probably be on the depth chart even before being officially enrolled.

entering Spring or entering Fall? Betts and Manning are listed but wont be here until Summer/Fall. There are probably others in this situation as well.

Of course with those 2, they could probably be on the depth chart even before being officially enrolled.
Kade will be the #1 guy at that psn during Spring Ball. If he's healthy, he will play a lot this fall as he does the blocking thing and knows the playbook for all three positions.

This is a good projection of the realistic picture. I think Casey Rogers will be in the mix at DE (right now ahead of Wildeman). I’m interested in whether Niko Cooper can make a push at OLB.
But I look at that lineup and it does not make me sad. There’s a lot of things to like in there.
There will be other guys pushing the competition as well. Can Chris Walker emerge? Could Luke Reimer or Zach Schlager make a jump? Could Keyshawn Greene be big enough and learn enough to get in the mix?
What are we gonna get out of JUCOS Riley and Payne?

Also, Noa Pola Gates had a bad knee injury. I hope he can come back strong. We need his athleticism.

Offseason is boring, so I wanted to explore a new angle.
Disclosure: This is not a prediction in any way. It’s also not meant to slight the skill/talent of names left off. It’s meant to be another hypothetical way of examining the current roster (more explanation to follow).
Here we go:
What if our starting lineup Game 1 against Purdue looked like this....

QB: Luke McCaffrey OR Adrian Martinez
RB: Rhamir Johnson OR Dedrick Mills OR Sevion Morrison
WR: Omar Manning OR Zavier Betts OR Marcus Fleming
WR: Wandale Robinson OR Alante Brown
WR: JD Spielman OR Jamie Nance OR Peanut Houston
TE: Chris Hickman OR Travis Vokolek
LT: Brendan Jaimes
LG: Turner Corcoran
C: Cam Jurgens
RG: Matt Farniok OR Ethan Piper
RT: Bryce Benhart

DE: Ty Robinson
NT: Keem Green OR Nash Hutmacher
DE: Deontre Thomas OR Tate Wildeman
OLB: Caleb Tannor OR Blaise Gunnerson
ILB: Eteva Mauga OR Will Honas
ILB: Nick Henrich OR Keyshawn Greene
OLB: Jackson Hannah OR Garrett Nelson
CB: Jaiden Francois
CB: Henry Gray
S: Deontaii Williams
S: Marquel Dismuke OR Noa Pola Gates

Despite leaving many potential starters/contributors off the list (which is relevant) you’ll notice there’s a priority on listing 31 by my count 4 star players (Rivals/247)... yes 31!!! plus only 8 mostly high 3 star, mostly ‘new’ players where 4*s were lacking at a position or to highlight other potential. The point is to show the potential for an overhaul of the lineup. Only a few names on there have much experience playing.
This signals more depth and competition across the board.
I’m pretty sure we’ve never had this much “paper talent” spread across the roster in recent years.

Again, this is not a prediction. Many contributors and key guys were left off (Wilson, Stoll, Austin, Stille, Daniels, Miller, Domann, Taylor, Bootle, Newsome, etc.)
Plus, I expect other less touted newcomers to drive the competition even further.

GBR
Hickman won't be starting over Stoll

This is a good projection of the realistic picture. I think Casey Rogers will be in the mix at DE (right now ahead of Wildeman). I’m interested in whether Niko Cooper can make a push at OLB.
But I look at that lineup and it does not make me sad. There’s a lot of things to like in there.
There will be other guys pushing the competition as well. Can Chris Walker emerge? Could Luke Reimer or Zach Schlager make a jump? Could Keyshawn Greene be big enough and learn enough to get in the mix?
What are we gonna get out of JUCOS Riley and Payne?

Also, Noa Pola Gates had a bad knee injury. I hope he can come back strong. We need his athleticism.
And Johnson too

I have no idea who will start and who won't. All I know is this: this team now has the talent, albeit young and inexperienced in spots, to succeed. No more damn excuses. For two years now we have out recruited our competitors in the West. Time to put up or shut up. This is the year that we find out if Frost was a one hit wonder at UCF who caught lightening in a bottle, or a truly good coach. I think he will prove himself admirably and I am looking forward to this season with very high hopes.

I have no idea who will start and who won't. All I know is this: this team now has the talent, albeit young and inexperienced in spots, to succeed. No more damn excuses. For two years now we have out recruited our competitors in the West. Time to put up or shut up. This is the year that we find out if Frost was a one hit wonder at UCF who caught lightening in a bottle, or a truly good coach. I think he will prove himself admirably and I am looking forward to this season with very high hopes.

We have outrecruited every team in the West literally every year that we've been in the B1G since we joined, other than 2012, when we only had 17 commits. But even then, our average star ranking was well ahead of the 2nd place team in the West. But yes, the time for excuses has passed for this coaching staff.

2 years of recruiting "talent" isn't enough when the "talent" from the 4 previous years is mostly gone.

You're counting the "Rs frosh" who have never or minimally played in a game and saying they should be ready to go this year?

Hope you're right. A handful might be ready. I see it taking longer for most.

Hickman won't be starting over Stoll

Depends on how the WR's do IMO. Stoll can be a weapon but if we can't force the safeties to respect the boundary deep threat, Stoll is very easy to key on and completely take out of the game. Hickman is harder to do that to just due to his size and Hickman is significantly better as a redzone target.

It also doesn't help that Stoll is arguably the worst blocker on the entire offense when it comes to setting up swing passes.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
You're counting the "Rs frosh" who have never or minimally played in a game and saying they should be ready to go this year?

Hope you're right. A handful might be ready. I see it taking longer for most.
No, I'm saying they're likely ready for the two deep, and certainly should be by the end of the season.
Some will be ready, not all.
After two years in system, half a seasons games, you'd better hope they're ready by then.

No, I'm saying they're likely ready for the two deep, and certainly should be by the end of the season.
Some will be ready, not all.
After two years in system, half a seasons games, you'd better hope they're ready by then.
I admire your urgency. I don't think it will play out like that in reality.

Wish we could get some blowouts to get those 2 and 3 deep some good quality playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT