ADVERTISEMENT

What do you take from this loss?

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Wow is all I can say with this game. Crazy lows to crazy high to crazy lows. Not sure what to take away from that loss.

Can look at it as a plus and say we never game up. We kept fighting till the end and almost pulled out a win. Armstrong and others made some great plays when they needed to. Showed great heart.Riley knows how to make adjustments and change the flow of a game to benefit his team. We Can have hope for the rest of the year as everything gets into sync and injured players return that we can still have a good solid year.

Can also look at it as, we looked very weak on both sides of the ball. Very poor tackling. Secondary is questionable at best. Way to many penalties and mental errors. A Riley team looks very sloppy for a 30 plus year coach. Armstrong seems to always make critical error when it matters. Is he the guy that should be QB? Yes we came back but why do we keep letting ourselves get into this position.

Was this comeback almost win because of better coaching/ play calling and players or was it a Miami team feeling they had it locked and took their foot off the gas and went into coast mode?

I don't know. Its hard to know for sure this early in the Riley era. I can see it both ways. I see lots of negatives and lots of positives. Are these close heart break loss a sign that we are right on the cusp of returning to greatness and just need a few little tweaks here and there? Man I hope so

I'm damn proud to be a Husker fan today. Bash me if you want, but I never expected this team to compete for a playoff spot or a championship. Ohio State has the Big Ten in the Bag.

But I saw a team today that fought through adversity and is well on its way to winning the Big Ten West.

I'm damn proud to be a Husker fan today. Bash me if you want, but I never expected this team to compete for a playoff spot or a championship. Ohio State has the Big Ten in the Bag.

But I saw a team today that fought through adversity and is well on its way to winning the Big Ten West.

I'm not sure we are even one of the top 3 teams in the BigTenWest. the only team I know we are better than is Illinois

[QUOTE="Cornicator,

But I saw a team today that fought through adversity and is well on its way to winning the Big Ten West.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the first part of that 100%, for the second part I saw a team that will barely be bowl eligible, let alone win the division.

Don't know about winning the B1G West or not but I love the character of our starting QB and I think this team is on the verge of becoming a pretty good football team. I still think a 9 win season is possible this year but I see a very bright future with TA and this staff. We're right where I thought we would probably be after these first 3 games. I hoped for better but deep down knew it would be tough to beat BYU or Miami this early in the season with new systems.

Reactions: husker2612
[QUOTE="Cornicator,

Agree with the first part of that 100%, for the second part I saw a team that will barely be bowl eligible, let alone win the division.[/QUOTE]

Lol... Nobody in this division can exploit Nebraska's weakness in the secondary.

If there is no dominant team, then games come down to matchups. There is no Big Ten team capable of exploiting Nebraska's weaknesses in the secondary.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree with the first part of that 100%, for the second part I saw a team that will barely be bowl eligible, let alone win the division.

Lol... Nobody in this division can exploit Nebraska's weakness in the secondary.

If there is no dominant team, then games come down to matchups. There is no Big Ten team capable of exploiting Nebraska's weaknesses in the secondary.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I've been saying.

Reactions: leodisflowers
We are missing some elite talent, we had some in some skill positions. We have good DT's and Armstrong is improved but if you flip over to LSU/Auburn or look at Miami's team you can still see how far we have to go. I hope we can Recruit well, coach well, and improve with Armstrong and co. Oh and please please DB's make a play on the ball, and start Wilbon, that is all. ;)

Reactions: baseball31ne
The offense shows promise, and with good recruiting could be very good. I'm afraid the defense lacks talent and may take 3 to 4 years of nearly great recruiting to get us over the hump.

Please don't be like Callahan, please no.

That we are rusty as hell mainly. I expected to have some struggles with the new staff but they cant afford to wait two or three quarters before they work out the bugs.

Reactions: baseball31ne
The offense shows promise, and with good recruiting could be very good. I'm afraid the defense lacks talent and may take 3 to 4 years of nearly great recruiting to get us over the hump.

Please don't be like Callahan, please no.

At times, "The Pinkshirts" seem like a distant nightmare. We'll get back to being a force given time. The team didn't quit ala Pelini blowouts.

Oline - gonna be a struggle all year
RB - wilbon should be playing strictly as an athlete perspective, I imagine he doesn't know playbook enough cause newby is not a great RB
WR - westerkamp is it, Morgan is coming up but DPE would be nice
TE - neither have ever impressed through their careers still waiting on this explosive carter we've all been hearing about.
DLINE - talked about as a top unit in the country...other than converted TE freedom, they all look average at best.
LB - need to recruit better
CB - see OLINE, Gerry lone bright spot
Even drew brown is not someone I have faith in. Tommy is all we have right now that is it. Growing pains are gonna be tough this year. The lone bright spot is that this team didn't give up and as tough as that is to swallow, I truly do believe last years team wouldn't have come back. Over and done with. We're fortunate of an easy schedule this year. With that I predict 8 wins

This team will finish 6-2 in conference. That means 8-4 with a decent bowl game and they win that. There won't be one single blow out loss and there won't be a single moment on the sidelines where the coach looks like your kindergartener after you took his favorite toy.

There are gaps for sure and the depth isn't there and the learning of the system isn't where I want it to be. If BYU beats UCLA then both of our losses could be ranked teams that beat us on a Hail Mary and in overtime.

I see issues on defense and that is frustrating for sure but the younger guys look like they will be players going forward. On offense, don't always agree with the play calling or some of the personnel decisions-OL and RB but I'm not at practice and don't know who has command of the playbook.

See 9-4 team that will not quit or give up career and team records on a weekly basis (yes saw the QB tonight set a yards record). This team needs to cleanse seven years of the Us Against the world and our fans mindset. And sadly so downy of our fans.

Just a few thoughts.

1. We lack top level overall team speed. Miami always has plenty. The difference isn't as bad as it was in 1988 or 1991 when we lost 23-3 and 22-0 or something like that, but there was an obvious difference.

2. We lack experienced lock down cornerbacks. If you are going to play this defensive scheme, you have to have stud corners. Ours have not proven they are studs yet. Also, as long as Davie plays he will be picked on, until teams no longer see him as a weakness.

3. The lack of depth and talent at DE is glaring. We absolutely could not collapse the pocket. Some of us have pointed this out before today, but it was obvious. McMullen was disapointing today.

4. LB depth and inexperience hurt today. Young has the potential to be a really good player, but just seemed IMHO that he was thinking too much which caused him to play slow.

5. It is apparent IMHO the coaches have little faith in the backup OL. That scares me as our best running plays were TA scrambling. Our O-Line needs to develop an attitude that Cav is trying to instill, or this team will only go as far as TA's arm can take us. I don't care who we have running the ball, if there is no push we will lose close games.

6. TA is a warrior who won't quit. But his decision making must improve. Could have gone in at half down 20-10. Then makes unbelievable throws in the 2nd, but follows it up with an underthrown ball in OT that a DB he flat out didn't see intercepts.

7. Receivers. Love Stanley Morgan! That kid is the real deal. Great compliment to Westerkamp. TA is not a good enough QB for the team to overcome so many drops.

8. Wish when Cross was in the game, we'd fake it to him up the middle once in awhile. We just might make the other teams D pay.

Reactions: ncaalover12 and c2o
Wow is all I can say with this game. Crazy lows to crazy high to crazy lows. Not sure what to take away from that loss.

Can look at it as a plus and say we never game up. We kept fighting till the end and almost pulled out a win. Armstrong and others made some great plays when they needed to. Showed great heart.Riley knows how to make adjustments and change the flow of a game to benefit his team. We Can have hope for the rest of the year as everything gets into sync and injured players return that we can still have a good solid year.

Can also look at it as, we looked very weak on both sides of the ball. Very poor tackling. Secondary is questionable at best. Way to many penalties and mental errors. A Riley team looks very sloppy for a 30 plus year coach. Armstrong seems to always make critical error when it matters. Is he the guy that should be QB? Yes we came back but why do we keep letting ourselves get into this position.

Was this comeback almost win because of better coaching/ play calling and players or was it a Miami team feeling they had it locked and took their foot off the gas and went into coast mode?

I don't know. Its hard to know for sure this early in the Riley era. I can see it both ways. I see lots of negatives and lots of positives. Are these close heart break loss a sign that we are right on the cusp of returning to greatness and just need a few little tweaks here and there? Man I hope so
What I take away from the game 3 loss is that my concern for the defense will continue. We don't seem to be able to control los on either side of the ball.
On the plus side, TA improved and QB is the most important skill position.

Don't know about winning the B1G West or not but I love the character of our starting QB and I think this team is on the verge of becoming a pretty good football team. I still think a 9 win season is possible this year but I see a very bright future with TA and this staff. We're right where I thought we would probably be after these first 3 games. I hoped for better but deep down knew it would be tough to beat BYU or Miami this early in the season with new systems.
couldn't have said it better

couldn't have said it better

+1

Laughing. Winning the big ten west? This yr? HAHA.

What I took from todays`s game is that this team has heart and character and didn't give up. That means there is hope for the future. In other words...the team didn`t didn't give up. Unlike when coacn bo was in lincoln

Normally I agree with your posts, but there is nothing wrong with having a little drool on your chin.

Yeah. You are right.
I guess it sometimes happens.
I have had drool on my chin but I don't think anybody saw it.
I definitely was not on TV.
Sure the hell wasn't making millions and coaching a Blue Blood program with stuff coming out of 3 out of 4 orfices.

IMO, they created their own adversity by not coming out ready to play. But well on its way to winning the West? Although I'll admit it's there for the taking, I'm not sure what makes you so optimistic. I understand games are about matchups, but I've watched a Northwestern team pretty much shut down two very good offensive teams, and Wisconsin playing good defense too. I expected Nebraska to score today because I don't think Miami is great defensively. I'm glad you're optimistic about things going forward, but I'd like to know why after three weeks.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES

Well said. Typical Husker team. Great heart, average talent.

I take:
1. above all, how do we get this team awake before crunch time?
2. stop the penalties
3. your going to get hit anyway, catch the ball
4. get to the opponents qb
5. stop throwing interceptions
6. tackle the legs, don't just try and bear hug them (I seen a couple big gains by miami because of it)
7. improve pass coverage
8. run the ball , north and south. and speed it up.
9. have the qb take off more, if it's there, that will get them recievers open
10. let go ahead and get them plays in on time.

not overly critical, a lot of the problems above have been problems in years past.
glad they fought back and the field goal guy improved.

1. Las Vegas spreads are uncannily accurate
2. I think I had unrealistic expectations going into the season, I bought into all the crap I read online and heard from radio personalities (like I do every year)
3. We have played two decent teams and lost to both
4. Nebraska was the less physical team for most of the game in both matchups with decent teams
5. We are still missing the mental and physical toughness we lacked thru BC and most of BP tenures
6. 7-5 is probably about right for this season

1. Las Vegas spreads are uncannily accurate
2. I think I had unrealistic expectations going into the season, I bought into all the crap I read online and heard from radio personalities (like I do every year)
3. We have played two decent teams and lost to both
4. Nebraska was the less physical team for most of the game in both matchups with decent teams
5. We are still missing the mental and physical toughness we lacked thru BC and most of BP tenures
6. 7-5 is probably about right for this season
BYU is a really good team. We're TWO plays from being 3-0. Nobody knows what the final record will be but I feel a BUNCH better about the direction of the program now than I did 10 months ago.

We need to process this roster and sign a couple massive recruiting classes. This team need talent in a bad way.

Reminded me a lot of the Michigan state game last year.

What I take from the loss is that we have a depleted roster and a culture that is still Pelinized with lots of penalties, poor leadership, and an us vs the world culture. It's nice to see the comeback, but it would be better to come out focused and with fire so as not to end up in a desperate situation in the first place.

BYU is a really good team. We're TWO plays from being 3-0. Nobody knows what the final record will be but I feel a BUNCH better about the direction of the program now than I did 10 months ago.

I completely agree about the 10 months ago comment, and I'm not saying I think we would be better off with BP as coach. I'm just saying that this team right now that there is more to this to this - it's not just about having the athletes. I don't think this team is mentally tough enough right now to win the close and big games. Mentally tough teams just don't make the same kind of repeated errors our team has made this season against quality opponents (dropped passes, dumb penalties, throwing the ball straight to the defensive backs, etc.). Watch a Michigan State team, or most Bill Snyder teams after his first few years when he was building the team's confidence by having the team play cupcakes, and you just don't see those teams constantly shoot themselves in the foot.

This is not new with Riley by any means, so I'm not laying it all on him.

The good thing is that this can be fixed - teams can learn to win. I just don't know how long it will take, but I'm still hoping for the best this season. I just don't see us beating Sparty, and I expect us to lose 2 out of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa.

The 2013 Northwestern approach. "We were just a few plays away from being 10-2 instead of 5-7.

Have we really sunk that low? If this is going to be our mindset, then Nebraska as we know it is finish. That kind of mindset is never acceptable here.

I take the following from Saturday's loss...you asked.

We lost our best player on both sides of the ball from last year and as of right now we aren't deep enough to overcome that, and most of the time, when we play a team with a pulse, we have the second best QB on the field. That adds up to 8-4 and perhaps even 7-5 most of the time and unless POB is ready to come in and start right away, it will be the same thing next year.

I take:
1. above all, how do we get this team awake before crunch time?
2. stop the penalties
3. your going to get hit anyway, catch the ball
4. get to the opponents qb
5. stop throwing interceptions
6. tackle the legs, don't just try and bear hug them (I seen a couple big gains by miami because of it)
7. improve pass coverage
8. run the ball , north and south. and speed it up.
9. have the qb take off more, if it's there, that will get them recievers open
10. let go ahead and get them plays in on time.

not overly critical, a lot of the problems above have been problems in years past.
glad they fought back and the field goal guy improved.
Unfortunately Bos lack of recruiting is coming to head full force. Plain and simple we just don't have the talent we need to, to compete with top teams. Thats why we won the easy game and got destroyed by anyone in the the top 25. Imagine if we could have a team full of Ameer type talent. We see already what just 1 guy like that can do for a team. aka look at our run game this year and last, polar opposites. Now if we can get a full team of his type of talent. Look out! I really hope MR can do it

We have a QB that can win games if we find a defense.

I'm hoping Davie doesn't start anymore and finds a way to contribute off the bench. I'd be a little more optimistic about a sustained run defense, except it looks like all three of our starting LB will have lingering injury issues this year, and no bye weeks to help anyone. Freedom has been a nice surprise, McMullen a step back. Not sure what we'll look like if we can get some semblance of health and Gangwish back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT