ADVERTISEMENT

Well Timmy

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
Maybe instead of bitching about not making the NCAA tourney and pissing and moaning about your NIT seed, you should have been getting your team ready to play. You can't blabber about being pissed and using this anger to go out and win the tournament(I think he said something about winning the B10 tourney too) and then go out and lay yet another postseason egg. It's put up or shut up time next year. NCAA or bust.

Yeah I have no problem with coaches lobbying to get into the tourney - that goes with the territory. But going on Big Ten Network and saying, "We're in, I know we're in, and your bracketologists are full of it" - when the chances of actually getting in were about .00001 percent - wasn't too bright. Whining about the NIT seeding didn't make much sense either. I would much prefer that the coach tell his team that regardless of how this shakes out, we're going to be playing more basketball and a lot of teams would gladly trade places with us. Maybe Miles didn't cause the Selection Sunday hangover, but he didn't help matters.

Maybe Miles will go back to Colorado State. Kinda like when McDermott left ISU for Creighton before he inevitably got fired.

The last 2 bball coaches fired here ended up at Duquesne and Southern Mississippi. CSU is a hell of a lot better job than either of those. And in a much better location to live. If Timmy does get fired here after next year, he won't get a better job than CSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodman79
I am now on the find a new coach band wagon. Two weeks ago, I never expected our season to end in such burning flames. We went from solid bubble team, to one and done in the conference tournament (ass kicking I may add), to one and done in the NIT. Looking at end of season results, other than record, there was no improvement over Miles' previous 3 years. Moos has a tough decision to make.

Maybe instead of bitching about not making the NCAA tourney and pissing and moaning about your NIT seed, you should have been getting your team ready to play. You can't blabber about being pissed and using this anger to go out and win the tournament(I think he said something about winning the B10 tourney too) and then go out and lay yet another postseason egg. It's put up or shut up time next year. NCAA or bust.
He did a great job of reminding the country how irrelevant Nebraska is in basketball. Is there any reason to expect something different next year?

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
You guys are really overreacting here. Yeah we got dumped by Michigan in the tourney. They are hotter than possibly any team in the country now. Then they lose on the road to a pretty equal team after a let down from not getting in the tourney and getting boned on their seeding. I see it as a disappointing end to the season but not an unrealistic one. We had a good year. If you look at the preseason predictions we had a great year. Don’t let a couple games at the end of the season that we were statistically going to lose anyway taint that.

You guys are really overreacting here. Yeah we got dumped by Michigan in the tourney. They are hotter than possibly any team in the country now. Then they lose on the road to a pretty equal team after a let down from not getting in the tourney and getting boned on their seeding. I see it as a disappointing end to the season but not an unrealistic one. We had a good year. If you look at the preseason predictions we had a great year. Don’t let a couple games at the end of the season that we were statistically going to lose anyway taint that.

heh-heh-heh-he-said-taint.jpg

Mire Files

It was a good season and as I've said several times, Miles certainly did enough in my mind to hang onto the job.

But sorry, Miles shouldn't be graded on a curve because his team was picked 13th in a 14-team league. That works great when you're a new coach inheriting someone else's roster, but not for a guy in his 6th year. I'll give him credit for a solid season, but not for exceeding putrid expectations.

Last edited:
2nd most wins in school history. Let's just throw that out the window. A team predicted to finish close to the bottom of a 14 team conference finishes 4th. Tear it down. Is Miles the answer? I would say it is still up in the air after this season. Chances are if the Huskers had gotten a home game as they should have for the NIT they win that game if have the same opponent. Does anyone really believe the Huskers were not way underseeded for this tourney?

All Miles fault his two best three point shooters went a combined 1-10 from beyond the arc? The more physical team somehow only committed 11 fouls for the game? The Huskers committed 18. Two of which were gimmes late in the game when the Huskers were forced to foul.

Sorry but I do not believe the seeding for the Huskers was correct. They should have had a home game and that is pretty hard to argue against. This is a team that needed to win a game (had to) against an okay Penn State team and did so late in the season. That Penn State team somehow got a home game (seeded higher with 4 less conf wins) in the same tourney which they came back in to win.

Let's start over again. Just throw the 2nd best season in Husker history out the window and begin again. I guess that makes sense to do something such as that with one of the worst basketball programs in the NCAA.

Reactions: meo1960 and OzzyLvr
I knew it was only a matter of time. I was thinking it last night while watching the game and thought I would post it but decided not to because it might be viewed by some as poor taste. But I just heard the joke from someone else this morning. Here goes. "Hate never wins"..... and neither does nebraska basketball in the post season.

Reactions: anon_f0p8yi74csor0
Let's start over again. Just throw the 2nd best season in Husker history out the window and begin again. I guess that makes sense to do something such as that with one of the worst basketball programs in the NCAA.

I wouldn't classify this season as the second best in school history. They racked up quite a few victories albeit against a weaker schedule than normal. And that weak schedule was cited as a reason to keep NU out of the tourney. So I say go ahead and keep Miles another year. We could do worse. But do not extend him.

Reactions: t7w0c1
its a hard sale to say we shoulda been better than what we accomplished this year.

based on this year, i guess it would be fair to give it more time. but i don't know what i'll be looking for other than a tournament appearance and win.

i guess we also need to work on our 'quads' or 'lats' or some horseshet like that...

Reactions: schuele
They won 13 games in the Big Ten with the schedule they were given by the conference. And no matter what you want to say it was the second best in school history for wins. As stated I am not sure Miles is the answer but after this season (picked 13th in the league) you do not pull the plug. It would be different if the program was going backwards but that is obviously not the case. The program took giant leaps forward from the last couple of years. Score 10 more points in two games this season we would all be looking at it differently and the Huskers would be playing today or tomorrow for program history!

I'm not at all on the fire Miles bandwagon, but I admit I saw Ben Howland on the other bench and thought, "Uh oh". However, I think it really hurt us that we played two games in like three weeks. You can say "get them ready to play" but this is not the first time that a team with a long layoff and dealing with a demoralizing end to the season laid an egg.

2nd most wins in school history. Let's just throw that out the window. A team predicted to finish close to the bottom of a 14 team conference finishes 4th. Tear it down. Is Miles the answer? I would say it is still up in the air after this season. Chances are if the Huskers had gotten a home game as they should have for the NIT they win that game if have the same opponent. Does anyone really believe the Huskers were not way underseeded for this tourney?

All Miles fault his two best three point shooters went a combined 1-10 from beyond the arc? The more physical team somehow only committed 11 fouls for the game? The Huskers committed 18. Two of which were gimmes late in the game when the Huskers were forced to foul.

Sorry but I do not believe the seeding for the Huskers was correct. They should have had a home game and that is pretty hard to argue against. This is a team that needed to win a game (had to) against an okay Penn State team and did so late in the season. That Penn State team somehow got a home game (seeded higher with 4 less conf wins) in the same tourney which they came back in to win.

I'm not discounting this season. It was a fun one to watch and Miles definitely earned himself another season. What I'm calling out is the fact that Miles did an awful lot of talking going into the B10 tourney and after selection Sunday. He went as far as trying to contact NIT officials to find out why they were seeded where they were and then laid another postseason egg. If your gonna spend all that time blowing hot air, you had better back it up.

Truthfully I think it was a mistake for Miles to say what he said. However I truly believe he was trying to instill the "no respect" aspect to this team to try to fire them up. Was it a mistake? Of course since they lost you can say it was. But as stated above the Big Ten has done none of its teams any favors with the early scheduling of the tourney. Penn State looked pretty poor for 3 quarters last night also. As I stated earlier if the Husker game had been played in Lincoln the team most likely wins. Such as the case with Penn State. Truthfully I think the four Big Ten teams in the Big Dance are going to struggle early also. Although easier to prepare one's mind for the Dance than for the NIT especially when you think you got screwed and had to travel to Mississippi!

Reactions: Red I 73
Truthfully I think it was a mistake for Miles to say what he said. However I truly believe he was trying to instill the "no respect" aspect to this team to try to fire them up. Was it a mistake? Of course since they lost you can say it was. But as stated above the Big Ten has done none of its teams any favors with the early scheduling of the tourney. Penn State looked pretty poor for 3 quarters last night also. As I stated earlier if the Husker game had been played in Lincoln the team most likely wins. Such as the case with Penn State. Truthfully I think the four Big Ten teams in the Big Dance are going to struggle early also. Although easier to prepare one's mind for the Dance than for the NIT especially when you think you got screwed and had to travel to Mississippi!
This team was born in Starkville and died there

If Palmer goes pro, then this past season could well be the pinnacle of Miles' tenure. Win or lose next season, what does he have in place for the year after next, besides and bench full of thespians, Allen and Roby? Nice players, but not enough to be competitive. The problem is you can't look even two years down the road and say we have enough good pieces in place to keep this building. Sure Jordy might improve and he has some potential in the recruits coming in, but the Big Ten isn't going to be this down and he is not going to get this kind of favor from Big Ten schedulers again any time soon.

It was a good season and and as I've said several times, Miles certainly did enough in my mind to hang onto the job.

But sorry, Miles shouldn't be graded on a curve because his team was picked 13th in a 14-team league. That works great when you're a new coach inheriting someone else's roster, but not for a guy in his 6th year. I'll give him credit for a solid season, but not for exceeding putrid expectations.

Yep, this is always the worst thought process. "Well, we were picked to finish 13th in the conference under Miles in year six." It's a never ending cycle. If Copeland/Palmer don't return we will again be predicted to finish near the bottom of the league and the same people will use that excuse when Miles finishes 10th instead of 13th. It's pretty simple at this point, Miles needs to deliver another NCAA appearance. Anything less next year and I'd be shocked to see him keep his job.

Are you trying to sort of say that the refs were on Miss St side...in an NIT game...in front of a crowd of 19 people? The refs were just as sad to be reffing that game as the two teams playing in it.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Just what I was thinking. Miles has another year. This one was fun!

If Palmer goes pro, then this past season could well be the pinnacle of Miles' tenure. Win or lose next season, what does he have in place for the year after next, besides and bench full of thespians, Allen and Roby? Nice players, but not enough to be competitive. The problem is you can't look even two years down the road and say we have enough good pieces in place to keep this building. Sure Jordy might improve and he has some potential in the recruits coming in, but the Big Ten isn't going to be this down and he is not going to get this kind of favor from Big Ten schedulers again any time soon.

Glynn Watson jr also has regressed this season, we need better point guard play for next year along with getting everyone to return...

Watson was brutal last time to end the season.

Yep, this is always the worst thought process. "Well, we were picked to finish 13th in the conference under Miles in year six." It's a never ending cycle. If Copeland/Palmer don't return we will again be predicted to finish near the bottom of the league and the same people will use that excuse when Miles finishes 10th instead of 13th. It's pretty simple at this point, Miles needs to deliver another NCAA appearance. Anything less next year and I'd be shocked to see him keep his job.

Hopefully next year we're picked 14th pre-season, that 13th prediction leaves less room to move up.

Tony Bennett from Virginia worked for Moss at W State

I think the last two head BB coaches Moos hired were the same guy -- Ernie Kent.

Bennett was already at Virginia when Moos was hired by WA St. Moos fired Bennett's replacement, Ken Bone, and hired Kent. When Moos was AD at Oregon, he hired Kent to coach the Ducks.

Maybe Moos can open up the HC spot without having to fire Miles by talking him into a sweet assistant AD gig where he can use his dinner circuit MC skills. Miles has to know his coaching career is about to end and he isn't likely to see another million dollar gig in his career. Time to transition to athletic administration, Tim.

Tony Bennett from Virginia worked for Moss at W State
Has anyone informed Dana Altman that we're fantasizing over other coaches?

"Dana, really - it's not you. We just needed to move on..."

Maybe Miles will go back to Colorado State. Kinda like when McDermott left ISU for Creighton before he inevitably got fired.

The last 2 bball coaches fired here ended up at Duquesne and Southern Mississippi. CSU is a hell of a lot better job than either of those. And in a much better location to live. If Timmy does get fired here after next year, he won't get a better job than CSU.
#HadThatExactThought

Maybe Moos can open up the HC spot without having to fire Miles by talking him into a sweet assistant AD gig where he can use his dinner circuit MC skills. Miles has to know his coaching career is about to end and he isn't likely to see another million dollar gig in his career. Time to transition to athletic administration, Tim.

There's absolutely NO way he should extend Miles.

Couldn't agree more. You probably shouldn't hype your team up like it is a lock they are getting in for a full week before the selection show. I said all last week...."Wtf is he doing?!?!"

Reactions: huskerfan1414
ADVERTISEMENT