ADVERTISEMENT

Well Timmy

I love Nebraska sports. I support them 365 days out of the year. Defend them when disparaged by my Pac 12 neighbors. I will watch just about anything where a male or female are wearing the Big Red "N" but I have to be honest I am also glad I live in Eastern Washington where I can enjoy a fully developed, successful basketball team, Gonzaga. The Zags stay on point, they have the FULL support of the university, they are well funded, they recruit players that fit their system (and go anywhere to find them), they take transfer students who do the same. Mark Few is not afraid to redshirt players to let them develop into better players. Few lets his assistants coach the game, but there is doubt to who is in charge. They win games because they have a plan and stick to it. They benefit from playing in a small conference, but they are also not afraid to take on the Big Boys. They have scheduled Ohio State, Texas, Florida, Villanova, Arizona, Tennessee, Iowa State, Creighton, UCLA and UConn the last few years. Duke is on the schedule. I will be surprised, but not shocked if Gonzaga gets through this weekend. What will shock me is if the Zags are not back in the tournament next year.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Extend or gone? Shoot...that's pretty easy for Moos. Don't let the door hit yah where the Lord split yah, Timmy!
If Miles actually gave Moos that ultimatum, he's way overplaying his hand. But having said that, I certainly don't believe everything said on Twitter - even when they cite "sources."

What exactly does that mean, anyway? That I think I might have heard this somewhere, and didn't just pull it straight out of my butt?

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
I love Nebraska sports. I support them 365 days out of the year. Defend them when disparaged by my Pac 12 neighbors. I will watch just about anything where a male or female are wearing the Big Red "N" but I have to be honest I am also glad I live in Eastern Washington where I can enjoy a fully developed, successful basketball team, Gonzaga.
One thing I love about the Zags is their player development. Post players, for instance, usually need time to develop. The Zags, like the old Wisconsin & Texas teams, always have a veteran post player backed up by a younger player and probably a redshirted post. This year they are a little off with Collins going pro way early, but they really get it. If Gonzaga isn't better inside than most teams they play, then they have a strong, smart veteran inside who can at least hold his own. Miles, on the other hand, brought in Jordy really because he had to, not because he wanted to. And he has no idea how to use a post player nor develop one. I believe that the assistant who works with posts is whomever doesn't do a scouting report in a given week. So it's a rotating position. And that's just one position. Here's hoping Miles isn't able to politic his way for an extension.

Moos has been pretty quiet since the season ended. Not sure where Miles would go if he left on his own terms - what other program is going to hire him and pay him more than $2 million/year? Colorado State hired a coach today, so he won't be going back there. I don't think Louisville or Pitt are going to hire him. So I don't think he's going anywhere.

Last edited:
Moos has been pretty quiet since the season ended. Not sure where Miles would go if he left on his own terms - what other program is going to hire him and pay him more than $2 million/year? Colorado State hired a coach today, so he won't be going back there. I don't think Louisville or Pitt are going to hire him. So I don't think he's going anywhere.
There will be lots of turnover after the tourney is over with guys moving up the ladder more than likely. Louisville just fired their interim coach. There are going to be jobs opening up. Who knows where things all shake out. My hunch is that Moos and his staff are trying to figure out whether or not to extend Miles OR if so for how long etc. One would almost think he has to extend his contract if he wants to keep him. On the other hand IF he doesn't and nobody comes calling for Miles, well all the power is in NU's court. I can not imagine anybody wanting to pay Miles the kind of money we are paying him.

There will be lots of turnover after the tourney is over with guys moving up the ladder more than likely. Louisville just fired their interim coach. There are going to be jobs opening up. Who knows where things all shake out. My hunch is that Moos and his staff are trying to figure out whether or not to extend Miles OR if so for how long etc. One would almost think he has to extend his contract if he wants to keep him. On the other hand IF he doesn't and nobody comes calling for Miles, well all the power is in NU's court. I can not imagine anybody wanting to pay Miles the kind of money we are paying him.

I am betting that the Huskers are Miles only gig with a Power 5 school

I am betting that the Huskers are Miles only gig with a Power 5 school
A basketball job doesn't have to be with a "Power 5" school to be a damned good job. That said, I don't see anybody matching the top 35 money that NU is paying Miles. Miles might decide to leave is somebody offered him a longer contract with a bigger buyout.

Sounds like Timmy's job is pretty safe

Barfy has been Miles errand boy for years, he's there to put out any and all fires for him. If it appears like we're coach shopping Miles loses all the leverage (not that he has much anyway with the way we finished the season). Miles is far from out of the woods at this point. They obviously don't agree on something, if they were on the same page Moos wouldn't be stringing this along. I have a strong hunch that Moos will be in San Antonio this weekend interviewing replacements while Miles will be interviewing for several other jobs. Miles sees the writing is on the wall and if he doesn't produce here next year his career will be over. He's coming off a solid season in the eyes of many and could most likely parlay that into a nice mid major or even a smaller Power 5 job. Moos isn't sold with Miles and isn't going to invest what he wants to invest in .500 coach with 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Moos wants to open up the checkbook and he's not going to do it for Tim Miles. In the next couple of weeks either Tim Miles will have an extension from us or he'll be coaching somewhere else. My guess is he leaves for greener pastures.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Barfy has been Miles errand boy for years, he's there to put out any and all fires for him. If it appears like we're coach shopping Miles loses all the leverage (not that he has much anyway with the way we finished the season). Miles is far from out of the woods at this point. They obviously don't agree on something, if they were on the same page Moos wouldn't be stringing this along. I have a strong hunch that Moos will be in San Antonio this weekend interviewing replacements while Miles will be interviewing for several other jobs. Miles sees the writing is on the wall and if he doesn't produce here next year his career will be over. He's coming off a solid season in the eyes of many and could most likely parlay that into a nice mid major or even a smaller Power 5 job. Moos isn't sold with Miles and isn't going to invest what he wants to invest in .500 coach with 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Moos wants to open up the checkbook and he's not going to do it for Tim Miles. In the next couple of weeks either Tim Miles will have an extension from us or he'll be coaching somewhere else. My guess is he leaves for greener pastures.
I'll be surprised if Miles isn't back next year, if only because Moos has bigger fish to fry and he can probably give Miles a one-year extension without causing too much heartburn for either Miles supporters or the people who want a change.

But I agree with you that Barfknecht's incessant slobbering over Miles gets old in a hurry. He loves to mention that NU was picked to finish 13th in the Big Ten this year, without bothering to ponder why expectations were so remarkably low in Miles's sixth year. I would also love to see Barfknecht put some names with this curious statement:

"At the NCAA Midwest Regional last weekend in Omaha, regional and national reporters nearly wore out the carpet coming over to ask World-Herald writers why Miles’ contract hadn’t been extended yet."

Yeh, I can just imagine all those regional and national basketball writers coming to Omaha to cover Kansas, Duke, Syracuse and Clemson - and golly gee, all they want to talk about is why Tim Miles's contract hasn't been extended. Nice try, Lee, but after you lobbied so hard last year for Miles to get a contract extension in the middle of a late season meltdown - losing 13 of his last 16 - nobody can be expected to take seriously anything you have to say on this topic.

Last edited:
He loves to mention that NU was picked to finish 13th in the Big Ten this year

Yep. That's embarrassing.

Yes, Nebraska has very, very little basketball pedigree. However, the resources and support are in place to have a competitive program in this conference (not just a competitive year).

It has been done at many places with less support than what exists today at DONU.

"...he will be with us again next year." Setting Miles up for Dance or Die next year? Probably the best possible play by Moos if he couldn't lock down anyone on his short list.

Moos said he will not be in San Antonio this week. In fact, Miles will be there at a Nebraska booster event. The only way Miles is not our coach next year is if he convinces another school to hire him. And I seriously doubt that will happen.

I'll be surprised if Miles isn't back next year, if only because Moos has bigger fish to fry and he can probably give Miles a one-year extension without causing too much heartburn for either Miles supporters or the people who want a change.

But I agree with you that Barfknecht's incessant slobbering over Miles gets old in a hurry. He loves to mention that NU was picked to finish 13th in the Big Ten this year, without bothering to ponder why expectations were so remarkably low in Miles's sixth year. I would also love to see Barfknecht put some names with this curious statement:

"At the NCAA Midwest Regional last weekend in Omaha, regional and national reporters nearly wore out the carpet coming over to ask World-Herald writers why Miles’ contract hadn’t been extended yet."

Yeh, I can just imagine all those regional and national basketball writers coming to Omaha to cover Kansas, Duke, Syracuse and Clemson - and golly gee, all they want to talk about is why Tim Miles's contract hasn't been extended. Nice try, Lee, but after you lobbied so hard last year for Miles to get a contract extension in the middle of a late season meltdown - losing 13 of his last 16 - nobody can be expected to take seriously anything you have to say on this topic.

On point.

Guess he's getting an extension if Moos says he's coming back. Hopefully only a year or 2 with no increase in buyout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT