ADVERTISEMENT

Well Timmy

It’s hard to be hopeful when the subject is NU basketball.

The win total this season is obviously fool’s gold gained against a weak schedule. But Miles’ team won the games they should have and lost those you expected. They didn’t under-achieve nor over-achieve. Hoops purgatory. Still.

We can’t even look forward to next year because we all expect key underclassmen to leave. And even if Copeland and Palmer return and Roby doesn’t transfer to a legit program, we’ll all remember 2015-2016 and be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

There is a perpetual dark cloud hanging over the basketball program. Who knows how to break through?

It probably means nothing, but Thad Matta dropped out of consideration from the Georgia job after being offered yesterday. Moos plays close to the vest and he has made virtually zero public comments on Miles or his contract in general. We shall see. I really wanted to believe Miles was the one but after 6 years I really can't see that he is trending upwards. As a few have stated, at some point you have to stop moving his goalposts. You can't build long-term results on transfers that you may only have for 1 year.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Yep, this is always the worst thought process. "Well, we were picked to finish 13th in the conference under Miles in year six." It's a never ending cycle. If Copeland/Palmer don't return we will again be predicted to finish near the bottom of the league and the same people will use that excuse when Miles finishes 10th instead of 13th. It's pretty simple at this point, Miles needs to deliver another NCAA appearance. Anything less next year and I'd be shocked to see him keep his job.
Given the emergence of Palmer and Copeland this year, there is not much to excuse the way we ended the season. As usual against a physical defense we didn't respond well and shot it poorly. We missed a bunch of wide open 3s and it didn't appear to me that we made much of an effort at an inside game when the 3s weren't falling. I guess the physicality of MSU contributed to that. I fully expected the outcome going on the road with a team that clearly didn't look like they wanted to be there. Were we duped in to thinking this team was more than they actually were or was it just a crappy job of coaching to end the year? I dunno. My expectations for next year are not great because I would bet money that Palmer leaves for pros.

Last edited:
Maybe instead of bitching about not making the NCAA tourney and pissing and moaning about your NIT seed, you should have been getting your team ready to play. You can't blabber about being pissed and using this anger to go out and win the tournament(I think he said something about winning the B10 tourney too) and then go out and lay yet another postseason egg. It's put up or shut up time next year. NCAA or bust.
He is another example(like Riley) where you can look at their past to pretty well guess how the future is going to go. He is a slightly above .500 coach everywhere he has been. He has up and down seasons. Never put together a consistent team. When he does manage to put together a solid team, he chokes in the post season. Dating back to is NAIA days he is 1-7 in post season games. So basically in 22 years of coaching he has done nothing of significance.

It probably means nothing, but Thad Matta dropped out of consideration from the Georgia job after being offered yesterday. Moos plays close to the vest and he has made virtually zero public comments on Miles or his contract in general. We shall see. I really wanted to believe Miles was the one but after 6 years I really can't see that he is trending upwards. As a few have stated, at some point you have to stop moving his goalposts. You can't build long-term results on transfers that you may only have for 1 year.
I don't like Miles, and I don't think he is going to accomplish anything here. I don't think firing him this year is the answer either. We have pretty well our whole team coming back next year (as of now). This was one of his few good teams. Maybe, just maybe we can build off of this year and make a run next year. Small chance I know. Getting a new coach now would do nothing but hurt next years team. See how next season goes. If no tourney, can him.

He did say he was pleased with how both teams were performin this season.

2nd most wins in school history. Let's just throw that out the window. A team predicted to finish close to the bottom of a 14 team conference finishes 4th. Tear it down. Is Miles the answer? I would say it is still up in the air after this season. Chances are if the Huskers had gotten a home game as they should have for the NIT they win that game if have the same opponent. Does anyone really believe the Huskers were not way underseeded for this tourney?

All Miles fault his two best three point shooters went a combined 1-10 from beyond the arc? The more physical team somehow only committed 11 fouls for the game? The Huskers committed 18. Two of which were gimmes late in the game when the Huskers were forced to foul.

Sorry but I do not believe the seeding for the Huskers was correct. They should have had a home game and that is pretty hard to argue against. This is a team that needed to win a game (had to) against an okay Penn State team and did so late in the season. That Penn State team somehow got a home game (seeded higher with 4 less conf wins) in the same tourney which they came back in to win.

Let's start over again. Just throw the 2nd best season in Husker history out the window and begin again. I guess that makes sense to do something such as that with one of the worst basketball programs in the NCAA.
We beat 1 good team all year. He racked up a bunch of wins against crappy teams in one of the most down years in B1G history. 2 winning seasons in 6 years with 2 months of good basketball is not good enough. If you had an employee who was good for 2 months and sucked the other 70 months he was there wouldnt you think he deserves to be canned?

I felt such sadness over my lunch hour, watching OU play like ass in the first round. I kept thinking, that coulda been us playing like ass instead!

I try to keep a positive attitude, but from the inside looking out, it seems like life as an NU fan is one nut-punch after another. Errrr... unless you like volleyball.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
We beat 1 good team all year. He racked up a bunch of wins against crappy teams in one of the most down years in B1G history. 2 winning seasons in 6 years with 2 months of good basketball is not good enough. If you had an employee who was good for 2 months and sucked the other 70 months he was there wouldnt you think he deserves to be canned?

Ftw.

Let me start this off with a disclaimer. lol I do not like Miles, and I do not think he is going to make this program better.
Unfortunately we are not a basketball school. No coaches want to come here and no kids want to come play here. People think football recruiting here is tough, basketball is 100 times harder. I just don't think we are going to get any better than a Tim Miles type of coach.

Let me start this off with a disclaimer. lol I do not like Miles, and I do not think he is going to make this program better.
Unfortunately we are not a basketball school. No coaches want to come here and no kids want to come play here. People think football recruiting here is tough, basketball is 100 times harder. I just don't think we are going to get any better than a Tim Miles type of coach.

I am glad no one listened to you when we brought in Devaney or Dave Van Horn. One good coach can make a huge difference and get something started that could be really special.

Again, not that Miles is going anywhere, nor should he. But, let's spitball a little and say he takes a different job. I think right now could be a high point in potential coaching pool interest in our program. The facilities are good, conference good, funding good. Seems like we get a lot of positive mentions from national media about fan support and atmosphere.

I'm just glad we have an AD now who won't fire a coach unless he has a better replacement lined up.

Matta, Tubby, and Crean are all available now. I don't think we can afford to hire another mid-major guy who has never won an NCAA tournament game and who recruits have never heard of. We either need a "household name" like the 3 mentioned above, or possibly a former NBA guy like Alabama and Utah did.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Don't know who this guy is, but he has quite a bit of followers.

He works for Channel 8 ABC's Lincoln Affiliate. He probably has pretty good access. Moos is a big spender and if he isn't impressed with Miles he's not gonna hold onto him. Moos did get us the most sought after coaching candidate in college football, I have confidence he can secure someone better than Timmy.

I will never, ever gain entry into the Tim Miles Fan Club, but I would wait to see what the roster attrition looks like before worrying too much about it. If it's mostly from the Improv Group/Cheering Section, that's not going to have much impact.

I will never, ever gain entry into the Tim Miles Fan Club, but I would wait to see what the roster attrition looks like before worrying too much about it. If it's mostly from the Improv Group/Cheering Section, that's not going to have much impact.
If it's one of Roby, Palmer, Copeland, Watson, or Tshimanga it's a big deal.

If it's one of Roby, Palmer, Copeland, Watson, or Tshimanga it's a big deal.
Oh I agree. He can ill-afford to lose any of those guys. But "roster attrition" with no names attached doesn't mean much.

I am glad no one listened to you when we brought in Devaney or Dave Van Horn. One good coach can make a huge difference and get something started that could be really special.
I was 2 when Devaney coached. So yes you are right I doubt anyone listened. Second. Go take a peak at Miles history over the last 25 years of coaching.

He is another example(like Riley) where you can look at their past to pretty well guess how the future is going to go. He is a slightly above .500 coach everywhere he has been. He has up and down seasons. Never put together a consistent team. When he does manage to put together a solid team, he chokes in the post season. Dating back to is NAIA days he is 1-7 in post season games. So basically in 22 years of coaching he has done nothing of significance.
I think Riley and Miles are different stories. Riley was a .500 coach who had a decent season every now and then sprinkled in with some losing seasons. Miles was billed as a program builder. Every where he went he left the team better than when he got there.
SW Minnesota St: 16-11 his first season, 28-7(D2 elite 8) his last season
ND St: 11-15 his first season, 20-8 his last season
CSU: 7-25 his first season, 20-12(NCAA second round) his last season.

I don't see the two being similar.

I think Riley and Miles are different stories. Riley was a .500 coach who had a decent season every now and then sprinkled in with some losing seasons. Miles was billed as a program builder. Every where he went he left the team better than when he got there.
SW Minnesota St: 16-11 his first season, 28-7(D2 elite 8) his last season
ND St: 11-15 his first season, 20-8 his last season
CSU: 7-25 his first season, 20-12(NCAA second round) his last season.

I don't see the two being similar.
I see the point you are trying to make. The 2 are similar in the fact they have no major accomplishments. No championships of any kind. Winning games is great, but unless you can do something at the end of the year what do those wins really matter. I guess that would make him similar to Bo.

Reactions: kaz36
FWIW, Omaha.com reporting that Miles is meeting with Moos early next week to present his "5-year plan" for Nebrasketball's future.

FWIW, Omaha.com reporting that Miles is meeting with Moos early next week to present his "5-year plan" for Nebrasketball's future.
You wouldn't believe the amount of meetings I've been to where people talk about their "5 year plan" for their organization. I've come to realize if anyone has a "5 year plan" they don't have a plan at all.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
If I were Moos I would respond..."why didnt you use this genius plan your first five years?" and 2nd.."If your last plan didnt work why will this one?"

I dont blame Miles for trying. We have paid him well, hes had 7 years, good guy, worked hard but was paid accordingly. Had a chance.
If theres roster attrition from key players, cut the cord now. We have seen what he can do.

IMO this was & will be TM's best year. This was his pinnacle. Sorry. He was on the very hot seat at the beginning of the year & that seat should still be very hot. See ya.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I would be happy to see Moos make a move now. We've learned from past coaches that this is not going to get any better. We had enough talent this year to finish 3rd in the conference and beat KU and Creighton. Should not have lost to Illinois late, but its the same story almost every year.

If Crean didn't win at Indiana how would he win here? No thanks.

He took Marquette to the Final Four when they were still a mid-major. He then took over a dumpster fire at Indiana (he literally had zero scholarship players) and ended up winning 2 Big Ten titles and making 3 Sweet Sixteens. So he's won a hell of a lot more than Tim Miles ever will.

As for Miles, I don't think Moos has much desire to fire both the basketball and football coaches in his first year. He'll give Miles one more year. I just hope he doesn't give him a big extension. And I hope Nate Oats is one of the guys on his list that he keeps in his desk drawer.

Last edited:
All good points, and I was wrong. Now you've convinced me he would NEVER come here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT